Around the NFL Week 4

aristocrat

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why he is not the moron that gave Jones a contract extension? 

Giving Jones an extension was so dumb. But not caving to Barkley looks wise at this point. 

They have something like $45M in space next year and they can get out of the Jones contract after.

Jones contract isn’t holding the team back. And the team is short more than a QB.

The Manning’s spent a good portion of the second half ripping play calls and personnel choices.

The Giants are a disaster all over the place.  

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why he is not the moron that gave Jones a contract extension? 

Giving Jones an extension was so dumb. But not caving to Barkley looks wise at this point. 

As the TV crew just said, Daboll is very close to completely losing the team, if he hasn’t already. You just can’t stay the course once the staff has lost the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

When do they stop saying Allen is struggling without Daboll and start saying Daboll is struggling without Allen?

Daboll's doing in NY what Daboll has always done in the NFL except for two seasons with Allen, leading his team to a bottom-dwelling offensive ranking.  

This should shock no one.  

Except for '20 and '21 when Allen finally found himself, Daboll's Scoring Offenses as an OC here and in Cleveland, Miami, and KC have ranked 29th, 31st, 20th, 32nd, 30th, and 23rd, and his Yardage Offenses have ranked 32nd, 29th, 22nd, 24th, 30th, and 24th, for averages of 28th and 27th.  

What he's doing in NY should come as absolutely no surprise.  It fits his pattern perfectly.  

His scoring offense there currently ranks 30th and so does his scoring D.   In fairness, he has played two very tough teams.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

As the TV crew just said, Daboll is very close to completely losing the team, if he hasn’t already. You just can’t stay the course once the staff has lost the locker room.

It doesn't feel like he's getting anything out of that team anymore.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That is just an awful throw. Giants made a huge mistake running it back with Jones and Barkley. They should have taken a page out of McBeane's book, use the good will of an unexpected playoff season to tear it all down and go all in on a franchise QB. Now they've made the cardinal sin of having a bad season and nothing for fans to feel optimistic about.

Yeah.........but then they would still have Brian Daboll as their HC.

I know I've been his biggest detractor in a virtual sea of Daboll-washers........and a lot of very good posters have even taken GREAT issue with my opinion that Daboll was a hot mess waiting to happen if given a HC'ing job.

But to those folks.........I told y'all so.

I know some people couldn't understand.........but there are coaches out there who can look great for a stretch but then can turn around and produce results that are far less than the sum of the parts they are given.

Daboll had already proven this a number of times as an OC.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

Danny Dimes isn’t elite. A couple head scratchers. But he completed like 80% of his passes and lead the team in rushing. He had zero help out there. I’m not sure Mahomes would have gotten it done. By the second half on the Manningcast Peyton was ripping half of the personnel groupings and play calls. 

This game wasn’t on him Jones. Daboll and Shoen deserve a lot of blame for where this team is right now. They need a lot of help outside of QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Why is X calling a screen shot of the NFL page sensitive content???

You're reaching.  The ref was grabbing for his flag while the ball was in the air.  Also, for all the people that complain about Sauce Gardner getting away with holding you're mad at that call?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Saleh is a big part of why pundits think it’s ok to speak so flippantly about Wilson. Also Harrison is a consummate POS.

At this point, even I'm pulling for Wilson to succeed. Not that I want the Jets to be good or anything, but Wilson seems like he really good dude that I hope will figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You're reaching.  The ref was grabbing for his flag while the ball was in the air.  Also, for all the people that complain about Sauce Gardner getting away with holding you're mad at that call?

I’m wayyyy more upset about the blatant holding that everyone watching the game could see on Mahomes long scramble. The Giant player literally starts smacking the chiefs player in the helmet to try to get him to stop holding. It was one of the worst holding no calls I’ve ever seen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m wayyyy more upset about the blatant holding that everyone watching the game could see on Mahomes long scramble. The Giant player literally starts smacking the chiefs player in the helmet to try to get him to stop holding. It was one of the worst holding no calls I’ve ever seen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

Yeah.  I saw a lot of those clips on twitter.  I also saw some obvious game changing calls that the Chiefs got screwed on that Chiefs fans pointed out.  Example..

I'm not conspiratorial by nature when it comes to officiating because they're human beings watching 22 players at real time speed.  The refs just sucked in that game and I blame their incompetence above all else.  I would put more officials on the field and make it their full time job.  Especially with them fully embracing gambling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  I saw a lot of those clips on twitter.  I also saw some obvious game changing calls that the Chiefs got screwed on that Chiefs fans pointed out.  Example..

I'm not conspiratorial by nature when it comes to officiating because they're human beings watching 22 players at real time speed.  The refs just sucked in that game and I blame their incompetence above all else.  I would put more officials on the field and make it their full time job.  Especially with them fully embracing gambling.

And on offensive holding I think it is a conscious decision. Think they have been asked / told to back off on calling it.

Edited by GunnerBill

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And on offensive holding I think it is a conscious decision. Think they have been asked / told to back off on calling it.

Which is ridiculous.  If they're told to "back off" on offensive holding you're going to get more of a variance on that call because each official will create his own standard of what is enough to draw a flag.  Holding is holding.  It goes back to that inconsistency frustration that Saleh brought up after the game.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Fell asleep at halftime. Just looked at the final score. Can't believe the giants went all in on Jones. What a terrible mistake 

Not a JONES fan by any means, the OLine looks like the 2018 BIlls OLine.  GIANTs are going to get throttled by the Dolphins and Bills in back to back weeks. 

Daboll and staff are going to be under the hot seat for sure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yup. He redirects the receiver and holds him. It’s absolutely was a penalty 

59 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Fell asleep at halftime. Just looked at the final score. Can't believe the giants went all in on Jones. What a terrible mistake 

I’m higher in Jones than most. He is tough as nails and is actually pretty talented, but he is careless with the football and doesn’t make enough “wow” to make it worth it. 

Edited by Captain Hindsight
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Put OL and DL players in straitjackets?  Then we'll see if there are holding penalties.  I'm still figuring out what to do for the WR / DB holding and pass interference problems and non-calls. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m higher in Jones than most. He is tough as nails and is actually pretty talented, but he is careless with the football and doesn’t make enough “wow” to make it worth it. 

When your nickname is 'Danny Dimes' you answer to no one. 😁

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

At this point, even I'm pulling for Wilson to succeed. Not that I want the Jets to be good or anything, but Wilson seems like he really good dude that I hope will figure it out.

same 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Patriots had some timely advantages to their calls. But I think this years Chiefs are way worse. What they’ve been able to get a way with on OL for nearly every play of every game is insane.

This is worse than its ever been for any team.

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yup. He redirects the receiver and holds him. It’s absolutely was a penalty 

Daniel Jones was nowhere near the top of the list of things wrong with the Giants last night. That was a total dumpster fire.

Danny Dimes contract is a non issue, they have $40M in space next year with an out after 2024.  

Edited by Mango

5 hours ago, syhuang said:

I said that when I saw it in real time as well. I was happy that the Chiefs won because I took them in my survivor pool but they were getting gifts from the refs all night.  

As for last night, I hope it puts to rest the “what Brian Daboll did for Josh Allen” narrative.  Josh did for Josh, with a major assist from Jordan Palmer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IN a few weeks it sure seems like the giants will be open for business.

They are going to be picking top 5 and they should be after the USC quarterback.  They are going to need extra picks.  

I have to imagine Dexter Mckinney, Adoree Jackson, Saquan Barkley are all going to be traded.  If buffalo were to want Jackson they may be able to make that happen for a 4 or a 5 but I am not sure how they fit his remaining salary in.  Also who knows how he would fit the scheme.  

Its amazing how pathetic the new york giants offensive line is.  Its one of the worst position groups I have ever seen on any team in my 40 years of watching football.

It was stupid to give Jones that contract.  They're stuck with him for another year and then have a $22M cap hit in 2025.  I was thinking that originally Daboll might get fired midway through 2024, but I think that if they continue this year, he's gone at the end of the year, proving he couldn't do with Jones what he did with Josh, therefore it wasn't on him, and that his offense isn't good without Josh to run it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

The Giants are a complete mess. Daboll lost the team already.  Miami should be 20 point favorites.  

I think Daboll has always been a blowhard. Not a terrible dude, but he cannot be "the guy" at the top or in total control of one side of the ball. He needs a few degrees of separation to provide a buffer. He needs to be part of an ensemble, he can't be the star or the conductor. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.