Terrel Bernard named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Terrel Bernard named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

For comparison:

Bernard first 3 games: 2 INTs, 2 Sacks, 1 FR

Edmunds last 45 games: 3 INTS, 2 Sacks, 0 FR

Whats funny is that I see Bills fans, not here but elsewhere, saying Bernard plays in a different defense than Tremaine. Saying Edmunds should’ve been used the way Bernard is used. And people wonder why the Edmunds threads won’t die, it’s constant conversation. 

Shame on me. Based on size and speed, as well of his (limited) reps year 1 I was completely unimpressed. And even on draft day I hated the pick. Just goes to show that while inevitably they make mistakes a good front office knows more and better than us fans.

Looks like his Sugar Bowl performance was neither a fluke nor something that he can't replicate in the pros. Now I think he could be a difference maker when we play Miami next Sunday. 
Kudos to McD and Beane.

• Like (+1) 13

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Shame on me. Based on size and speed, as well of his (limited) reps year 1 I was completely unimpressed. And even on draft day I hated the pick. Just goes to show that while inevitably they make mistakes a good front office knows more and better than us fans.

Looks like his Sugar Bowl performance was neither a fluke nor something that he can't replicate in the pros. Now I think he could be a difference maker when we play Miami next Sunday. 
Kudos to McD and Beane.

I say Kudos to McDermott for putting the kid in position to succeed given his skill set.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

For comparison:

Bernard first 3 games: 2 INTs, 2 Sacks, 1 FR

Edmunds last 45 games: 3 INTS, 2 Sacks, 0 FR

But what about all the passes that were never thrown because of Tremaine's tremendous wingspan?  Where are those in your precious statistics?  (I'm joking BTW)

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Whats crazy is they could have picked about 3 Bills players. That was an impressive performance 

I thought Ed was the best player on the field Sunday.  Floyd may have been the 2nd best. Epenesa great in spot duty.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

Peter King in his column had Myles Garrett as his defensive standout and didn't even mention the Bills in general or Bernard Specifically.  Obviously, not a fan of the Bills, but he didn't even mention the game Bernard or the Bills D in general.

I was worried they were going to choose Garrett.

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

One thing about mcd and Beane, they are very good at taking later round defensive players and turning them into solid or very good contributors (all pro in Milanos case).

I say from now on draft offense rounds 1-4 and defense after 

But why do we suck so much in round 2?

we should just trade those picks for later picks and we would be good lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

But what about all the passes that were never thrown because of Terrell's tremendous wingspan?  Where are those in your precious statistics?  (I'm joking BTW)

Cover1 says he disrupts lanes in a different way, because his instincts and athleticism put him in the right position where Edmunds usually did not and he relied on his athleticism to recover.

Edited by Big Turk

29 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Whats funny is that I see Bills fans, not here but elsewhere, saying Bernard plays in a different defense than Tremaine. Saying Edmunds should’ve been used the way Bernard is used. And people wonder why the Edmunds threads won’t die, it’s constant conversation. 

I mean they are being used differently. We played a way more 2 under Frazier where Edmunds was a true zone Tampa 2 dropper. This year under McDermott we're primarily playing 1 and 3 with a little 6 rolled in and we're pattern matching more than we ever have in the past (playing more man principles out of our zone coverages).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It is true. Edmunds blitzed 18 times all last season. Bernard has already blitzed 7 in 3 games. The way Edmunds was used did impact the number of splashy plays he made. Honestly he made more of those plays early in his career when he had less responsibility. You can watch some of the earlier film on him and he is all of the field when they have him blitzing, etc. Then he became a guy that just manned the middle of the field and sometimes dropped back with the safeties. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HoofHearted said:

I mean they are being used differently. We played a way more 2 under Frazier where Edmunds was a true zone Tampa 2 dropper. This year under McDermott we're primarily playing 1 and 3 with a little 6 rolled in and we're pattern matching more than we ever have in the past (playing more man principles out of our zone coverages).

Do you think those differences lend credence to why Bernard has made more impact plays? Or is it the players themselves?

28 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

Peter King in his column had Myles Garrett as his defensive standout and didn't even mention the Bills in general or Bernard Specifically.  Obviously, not a fan of the Bills, but he didn't even mention the game Bernard or the Bills D in general.

Peter King doing Peter King things.

34 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It IS a different defense - Edmunds job was to take away a large part of area defending from throws.  Just as some CBs are not thrown at because the risk of interceptions / passes defended and do not show up on stats unless stats comparing where throws are tried these type of stats do not show up.   Edmunds game did not evolve and Bills cap was tight so Bills choose to not value it as much as Bears did.  It is up to their defense coordinator to determine what to do with such a LB with very large wingspan.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.