Terrel Bernard named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

That’s fair, but with a guy his size and speed you would expect/hope he’d toss that smaller player aside and at least affect the QB. I’ve seen numerous LBs go head up with a RB and the RB gets bowled over. I had never seen one sprinting to the LoS just to get stoned by a RB and then “that’s it.” No fight or hustle through the block, just acceptance that the back was there. It was wild to me.

You're taught to compress the back into the QB, if you get stalemated you're taught to be a low box player and essentially maintain the LoS so that if the QB steps up into the pocket you can work an escape to compress it at that point.

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I disagree. The Commanders motioned into Shotgun split on multiple plays. Bernard was able to recognize this particular direction due to Milano being the Mike.

cover142.jpg

Again, everything to do with the motion and where the bubble was.

Just now, HoofHearted said:

You're taught to compress the back into the QB, if you get stalemated you're taught to be a low box player and essentially maintain the LoS so that if the QB steps up into the pocket you can work an escape to compress it at that point.

The stalemated point is definitely what happened, he just stayed on the LoS with his hands on the back. There was no attempt to compress the back into the QB. Once he found there was a player in his way his sprint came to a full stop. Like I said, I was surprised because when I saw the RB step up I fully expected Tremaine to truck him, push him back, toss him aside, something! I didn’t expect an “oh well, I tried but he’s in the way” sort of give up. Luckily Ed Oliver (IIRC) got the sack on the play otherwise it would’ve incensed me even more 😂

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

The stalemated point is definitely what happened, he just stayed on the LoS with his hands on the back. There was no attempt to compress the back into the QB. Once he found there was a player in his way his sprint came to a full stop. Like I said, I was surprised because when I saw the RB step up I fully expected Tremaine to truck him, push him back, toss him aside, something! I didn’t expect an “oh well, I tried but he’s in the way” sort of give up. Luckily Ed Oliver (IIRC) got the sack on the play otherwise it would’ve incensed me even more 😂

His height was his biggest disadvantage in those situations. Those backs won the leverage battle more often than not because he had no bend and consistently played high.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

The Commies got most of their rushing yards after they were trailing big and our defense was concerned with the pass (a la Green Bay last year). 

Bienemy appears to think he still has Mahomes. He called a run play only 4 or 5 times in the first half.

2 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

I mean they are being used differently. We played a way more 2 under Frazier where Edmunds was a true zone Tampa 2 dropper. This year under McDermott we're primarily playing 1 and 3 with a little 6 rolled in and we're pattern matching more than we ever have in the past (playing more man principles out of our zone coverages).

Leslie Frazier used tons of pattern matching also

Probably top in the league The last 5 years.. when McDermott and Frasier got here our defense was heavy cover 3 with matching

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

When they ran quarters, sure. They played far more 2/Tampa than anything else though.

The defense morphed a lot with Frasier over 6 years.. after teams adjusted to how they played them

It started as a heavy cover 3 with pattern matching

That it morphed to a combo coverages 

Then it turned into a deep tempa 2.. with cover one on third down

There was like a 6 year morph based on how offenses played us ... By the end of the morph , bills also really liked cover one on third down

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The defense morphed a lot with Frasier over 6 years.. after teams adjusted to how they played them

There was like a 6 year morph based on how offenses played us ... By the end cover one on third down was the team's favorite

Sure. I've specifically been comparing last year to this year with the Edmunds/Bernard comparisons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

The Bills had pretty much a top 5 defense during Edmunds tenure. So its hard to say he was misused, just differently. Why would the Bills feel the need to change that if it was working? Now with a change to Bernard they are adjusting to what will make the D most successful, which has been much more blitzing Bernard and putting Bernard in better position for these types of plays. 

Also people have such short term memories. Last season first three games vs this season were much tougher yet the D possibly played even better...just look at the QB's last year vs this year. 

LAR - 10 points and 240 yards with 7 sacks and 3 turnovers to Stafford

TEN - 7 points and 187 yards with 2 sacks and 4 turnovers to Tannehill 

MIA - 21 points and 212 yards with 2 sacks and 0 turnovers to Tua

NYJ - 22 points and 289 yards with 3 sacks and 1 turnover to Zach Wilson

LAV - 10 points and 240 yards with 0 sacks and 3 turnovers to Jimmy G

WAS - 3 points and 230 yards with 9 sacks and 5 turnovers to Sam Howell

It was actually 16 points.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

There was like a 6 year morph based on how offenses played us ... By the end of the morph , bills also really liked cover one on third down

Frasier was the one who designed to defense to neutralize MVP Lamar Jackson in playoffs which was copied by other teams who had the personnel following year.

Frasier was a good DC who could not seem to solve puzzle of some teams and was well liked by players who he took the hits for their mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Frasier was the one who designed to defense to neutralize MVP Lamar Jackson in playoffs which was copied by other teams who had the personnel following year.

Frasier was a good DC who could not seem to solve puzzle of some teams and was well liked by players who he took the hits for their mistakes.

Certainly a better man than defensive coordinator. Class act and well respected.

6 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

No surprise. Well deserved. 

It’s actually a huge surprise, considering him so many of us thought that he was a draft bust

Changes the whole complexion of Brandon beans drafting

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

TB43, has a Terminator ring to it.

He’s too small to have a nickname like this. I’m thinking the mighty Chihuahua.

what other small, but feisty dog can we insert here?

59 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s actually a huge surprise, considering him so many of us thought that he was a draft bust

Changes the whole complexion of Brandon beans drafting

He’s too small to have a nickname like this. I’m thinking the mighty Chihuahua.

what other small, but feisty dog can we insert here?

Well in the grand scheme yes but im talking based on  watching his play on Sunday only, but yeah you're correct. 

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Whats funny is that I see Bills fans, not here but elsewhere, saying Bernard plays in a different defense than Tremaine. Saying Edmunds should’ve been used the way Bernard is used. And people wonder why the Edmunds threads won’t die, it’s constant conversation. 

Very high draft pick with "adequate" results. I think OBD would have stuck with it as long as it took to justify that pick, but sometimes change is good.

A lot of folks were high on Edmunds coming out of the draft and his physical skills presented a lot of potential upside and he was a decent player for us that filled a need so no shame.

His performance at MLB was a popular debate when he was here (lack of impact plays) and no surprise that it goes on when we have someone else in the same role now for comparison.

I don't believe we are playing a different defensive scheme although I am sure Sean has his own wrinkles and tendencies, but we probably do have the best defensive line we have ever had under McDermott... remember overpaying and being stuck with the Star contract.

That DL (especially our tackles) help keep our LBs clean so that really is a factor in how well they play.

Is it enough of a factor to justify the drought of impact plays for Edmunds over that many games... folks can come up with their own conclusions.

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

All great points. I just can’t get on board with the sentiment that Bernard has these stats and Edmunds didn’t simply because Edmunds wasn’t being used in the same way Bernard is being used. That would imply Edmunds was misused and that the Bills defensive scheme was at fault for his lack of big time plays, not the player himself. How many times have we said “almost” about a play Tremaine could have made but didn’t? 

And yours is a good point, too, but we're also seeing Bernard succeed under McDermott's design, rather than Frazier's. What would be intriguing (though impossible) to see would be a sample set of Bernard's usage under Frazier and Edmunds' usage under McDermott. We would have a more full and accurate picture of how both are truly being used.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

And yours is a good point, too, but we're also seeing Bernard succeed under McDermott's design, rather than Frazier's. What would be intriguing (though impossible) to see would be a sample set of Bernard's usage under Frazier and Edmunds' usage under McDermott. We would have a more full and accurate picture of how both are truly being used.

This is good insight and thought process
I am going to vote McD is the key

But thats not to take Anything away from individual successes last week from multiple players. Like almost all of the defense lol 

Go Bills

squish the fish

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well deserved honor.  Allen week 2, and week 3 Bernard.

But, but we suck, McD sucks, Beane, sucks, bla, bla, bla.

So if we win Sunday, are all the fake Bills, actual, Jets, Miami, Patriots fans going to just go away.

Some Bills fans claim Bills suck so much they they would be happier being Fish Fans; to get even more fans Mijami should change mascot to sucker fish.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.