Around the NFL Week 3

HappyDays

I honestly started this thread just so I could post this unbelievable injury report from the Ravens:

For context imagine if James Cook was already out for the year, and we were playing this Sunday's game without Gabe Davis, Dion Dawkins, Mitch Morse, Damien Harris, Micah Hyde, Tre White, and Leonard Floyd. How does this happen to the Ravens every single year?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 4
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I honestly started this thread just so I could post this unbelievable injury report from the Ravens:

For context imagine if James Cook was already out for the year, and we were playing this Sunday's game without Gabe Davis, Dion Dawkins, Mitch Morse, Damien Harris, Micah Hyde, Tre White, and Leonard Floyd. How does this happen to the Ravens every single year?

Isn't OBJ supposed to be more like the Ravens Diggs?  I mean, who else they got?  Zay Flowers?  Rashad Bateman?  Nelson Agholor?

I think they might need to take a look at their S&C staff.

This is what the Ravens players grade the facilities - (from that NFLPA report card earlier this year).  They did fire their strength and conditioning coach before the season.  They have a new one now.  

I suspect the Ravens do not have a great offseason program for their players, so they are coming in over trained, or improperly trained where ligaments and tendons were beat to death in off season conditioning and wear out OR they come into shape fat and not ready to play. Both scenarios create injuries.  

They haven't even gotten to Lamar's annual injury buffet.  

image.thumb.png.78c33e95be5781187320f185dda89973.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Has to be the training staff, the Bills during the drought (particularly during the Jauron and Chan years) were among the lead leaders in games lost to injury year in and year out. In 2018 the Bills fired their trainer ad overhauled the staff and have been one of the more healthy teams the past 5 seasons. 

Outliers will happen where teams get hurt abnormally but when It happens over a long period of time something else has to be contributing to it 

I was actually tempted to pick the Colts in an upset over the Ravens if Anthony Richardson had been active.  Still might be tempted to do so.

Also, calling it now, Denver/Miami will be closer than expected.  Maybe a one-possession game.  Miami will be looking ahead to Buffalo next week and struggle this week.  Miami still probably wins, but, while many will probably expect a runaway, it may end up somewhere in the 3 to 7-point range.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I’ve read that playing through calf problems can lead to Achilles problems. Hope that doesn’t happen to Joe Cool.

I think it happened to Kevin Durant. 

30 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I was actually tempted to pick the Colts in an upset over the Ravens if Anthony Richardson had been active.  Still might be tempted to do so.

Also, calling it now, Denver/Miami will be closer than expected.  Maybe a one-possession game.  Miami will be looking ahead to Buffalo next week and struggle this week.  Miami still probably wins, but, while many will probably expect a runaway, it may end up somewhere in the 3 to 7-point range.

Denver looks so bad though. They played two teams that aren't on the level of Miami. 

I don't see their defense stopping Miami. They have too many weapons and their coach is an olive tree of Shanahan. He's creative. 

The Denver D without Fangio is not great either. Oops whose the D coach for the Fins? 

I just don't see a close game unless the Fins are sleep walking. I don't think the will be looking ahead. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

A bit off-topic but probably not worth its own thread. 

Is it just my brain playing tricks on me or did NFL players use to show a hate for the other team more-so in the past than they do now?

What made me think of this is an interview I saw with Tom Brady. He mentioned that he is not interested in being friends with his opponents. He is there to beat your head in and specifically said, “I don’t know how you can want to crush the competition. But then have dinner with them the next night.”

Am I off-base or were more players aligned with Toms philosophy in the 70, 80’s and even 90’s, more so than today where players are hugging each other midfield after the game and exchanging jerseys?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Remember that report ranking the different teams by players.  Ravens scored very poorly overall and I believe they also scored poorly in particular the nutrition/health stuff

I think that could be part of the reason it seems to happen to them every year

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And Klay Thompson.

When I heard Rodgers had injured both of his calves in camp my mind immediately went to him possibly tearing that achilles.    Been thinking the same thing about Burrow.  

Sometimes I think when a team says calf injury, it’s code for Achilles.....in the case of Burrow, if you watch the injury he sustained in training camp, the first thing that will come to your mind is “that’s an Achilles injury”....no one touched him, and he fell down as if he was shot in the leg.

I remember when Takeo Spikes tore his Achilles, he made the comment that the doctors told him that his Achilles is partially torn, and he can get surgery and be out for the season now, or keep playing until it ruptured completely, and get the surgery then.....and that’s what he decided to do, and it lasted two more weeks before it ruptured. Maybe this is the case with Burrow....who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Is it just my brain playing tricks on me or did NFL players use to show a hate for the other team more-so in the past than they do now?

What made me think of this is an interview I saw with Tom Brady. He mentioned that he is not interested in being friends with his opponents. He is there to beat your head in and specifically said, “I don’t know how you can want to crush the competition. But then have dinner with them the next night.”

Am I off-base or were more players aligned with Toms philosophy in the 70, 80’s and even 90’s, more so than today where players are hugging each other midfield after the game and exchanging jerseys?

Marino and Kelly were close during their playing days. 

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Also that Ravens injury report doesn't include their starting running back J.K. Dobbins who was injured in week one and is out for the rest of the season.

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think your brain is playing tricks on you 😎.

Kidding aside, there’s probably some truth to what you’re saying, but the world is so different now versus then too.  The NFL has changed a ton, there’s now social media so that everyone can stay more connected, etc.  But then again, I was just a kid back in the 80s and 90s, so perspective from those

older than I is probably more enlightened.

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think you are correct, and I’ve noticed the same thing in the NHL.  My personal theory is that there has been such an increase in money that it’s changed who is in the league and what their motivations are.

Mid-low level roster guys in the NFL weren’t paid that much even in the 90s and definitely in the 70s/80s. You had to really enjoy bashing into people back then to stick around. It attracted a certain type of person. Now you can be a middle of the road journeyman linebacker and make generational wealth.

I still enjoy it, but it’s just different.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Sometimes I think when a team says calf injury, it’s code for Achilles.....in the case of Burrow, if you watch the injury he sustained in training camp, the first thing that will come to your mind is “that’s an Achilles injury”....no one touched him, and he fell down as if he was shot in the leg.

I remember when Takeo Spikes tore his Achilles, he made the comment that the doctors told him that his Achilles is partially torn, and he can get surgery and be out for the season now, or keep playing until it ruptured completely, and get the surgery then.....and that’s what he decided to do, and it lasted two more weeks before it ruptured. Maybe this is the case with Burrow....who knows.

Yeah great reminder about the Takeo Spikes situation.   He was quite forthright about that right away.   You might be right about the NFL using the calf injury as code for the achilles but that would be very misleading.   I think calf strains in general are seen as lesser injuries than hamstrings but to me it's always more concerning.    The Durant/Thompson injuries in the NBA were called calf injuries at first but I don't think that was code.........the NBA really coddles players relative to other sports league's.   I believe that those guys had muscle strains that turned into achilles injuries. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

What are the Ravens doing? Practicing at construction sites? 6 foot/ankle/knee injuries.

Have the Ravens' players just decided "well shtt.  if Lamar cant tough it out during playoff time, why the hell should i tough it out in week 3?"

Not saying Lamar was faking.  

Players know.   The Raven's "leader" is not "fearless"

(disclosure:  I am anti-Lamar anyway, so this is probably just me piling on)

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

I’m not sure Tom Brady was entirely honest. Here’s a video of Payton Manning talking about his relationship with Brady during their playing days.

48 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I’m not sure Tom Brady was entirely honest. Here’s a video of Payton Manning talking about his relationship with Brady during their playing days.

Well it’s interesting. In the interview, Tom said that he and Peyton were “friends”. But not in the traditional sense. He said in 23 years of playing in the same league, they went to dinner only twice.

He claims that he is not interested in being friends with opponents 🤷🏻‍♂️

The entire interview was honestly quite eye opening. It shows just how different Brady is/was. It seems like he took every play and game very personally.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

I think you are correct, and I’ve noticed the same thing in the NHL.  My personal theory is that there has been such an increase in money that it’s changed who is in the league and what their motivations are.

Mid-low level roster guys in the NFL weren’t paid that much even in the 90s and definitely in the 70s/80s. You had to really enjoy bashing into people back then to stick around. It attracted a certain type of person. Now you can be a middle of the road journeyman linebacker and make generational wealth.

I still enjoy it, but it’s just different.

Glad i’m not alone!

On 9/22/2023 at 3:07 PM, HappyDays said:

That Stanley contract has never panned out for the Ravens. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.