Davante Adams Calling OUT RAPP!

balln

1 minute ago, nucci said:

so it would be better if he hit a 3rd string WR instead?

For Devante Adams it would.  It was a play that happens in pretty much every game at least once.  Why you would put your star players in harms way in a meaningless final few minutes is beyond me.

9 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You have moved on... okay I guess that settles it. And what's the relevance of what happened to Josh against the Jets?

And you know this how?

This is relevant in what way?

So that justifies a dirty hit? Actually if it's garbage time doesn't that make the hit less forgivable?

Wow. Really interesting thought process here.

I'm not understanding your point? Do you understand your point?

I guess you enjoy fights in hockey and crashes in NASCAR too?

I can't remember the last topic that had so many disappointing takes...

just like when teams win football games, they don't need as much ice on the plane ride home.

when they lose football games, they require twice as much ice for injury.

no joke, this has been discussed in the circles of sports world and i knew a crew who flew an nfl team around for a season

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Rapp is here to replace either Hyde or Poyer next year and play the 3rd safety in McDermott D...he is not just a reserve.

Was it a bad hit, yes.  Does he have a history of that? No.  Is Adams being a @#$%! About it yes. 

He's on a 1 year deal and he does not have the athleticism or coverage ability to play free safety. His future is as a Bryan Scott big nickel.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

It was a bang-bang play. Sure, it was a penalty, but it didn't appear that Rapp was trying to take away his livelihood or anything.  He was just trying to lay the wood to his chest if he happened to come down with the ball.  Davante is making a mountain out of a molehill.  Maybe NFL etiquette is to offer an apology during or after the game for that type of hit and Rapp never reached out?  

14 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm sure nobody wants to hear it but he's absolutely right and during the game I immediately thought Rapp owes him an apology.

I'll cut/paste what I said the day after because it fits better here:

Agreed that D Adams should not have been on the field at that point.

But Taylor Rapp needs to learn to hold his water.

I get that he doesn't get a lot of snaps and wants to do something with the ones he does get, but you need to be game aware and respect other people no matter what jersey they're wearing. That game was for all intents and purposes over at that point and there is no need to be out there trying to murder people when you're just running out the clock. Who gives a damn if he catches that ball at that point, it's not going to affect the game one way or the other; just give him a tap on the hat on the way by to ensure he's down by contact and move on to the next play. Going for killshots like that can literally mess with people's lives, and there's no need for it at that point in a game that is all but over.

I hope Rapp gives Adams a call this week, checks up on him and apologizes for getting caught up in the moment.

I’m with you, an apology would be fair.  

The real beef should be with McCrackhead for having his starters on the field in a game that was Waaaaay over and trying to make a “comeback”.  Seriously, game 2 of the year, down 28, late in the 4th, WHY is Adams on the field.  That’s just stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

Can someone explain the football nuance of why Adams said that? It kind of reminded me a bit of the Hyde pick against NE in the playoffs, except Hyde got there in time to make an actual play on the ball, while Rapp was late and only had a chance to hit the receiver and ultimately did so in a way that put him in position to have it turn into a defenseless receiver type hit.

Is that the point Adams is making, that Rapp was late because he has trouble reading plays properly and then because he was late the only chance he had go make a play was creating a very high risk and unsafe situation (above and beyond the standard risk associated with playing nfl football)?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Can someone explain the football nuance of why Adams said that?

I'd think he was upset because it was a 4TD lead with 3 minutes left and the game was over.

At that point everybody is just trying to get off the field healthy and Rapp going kamikaze on a meaningless play late in a decided game was unnecessarily dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'd think he was upset because it was a 4TD lead with 3 minutes left and the game was over.

At that point everybody is just trying to get off the field healthy and Rapp going kamikaze on a meaningless play late in a decided game was unnecessarily dangerous.

Maybe don't throw that... or run that play?  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

For Devante Adams it would.  It was a play that happens in pretty much every game at least once.  Why you would put your star players in harms way in a meaningless final few minutes is beyond me.

Also it's Adam's way of deflecting critics of his teams lack of ability to even compete with the Bills.  It's easier to claim the Bills won because they take cheap shots than to admit they were totally outclassed in this game.

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

@Doc Brown asked if I thought it was a dirty hit. It was not the most egregious hit on a defenseless receiver that we've seen but it was a foul IMO.

Is it fair to wonder why Adams was still in the game at that point? Yes.

Who should be blamed for Adams still being in the game... Adams or his Head Coach? I'm blaming the guy in charge of which star players are on the field late in a blowout game. The comments about Adams "padding his stats" are silly. IMO

Does Adams himself have an exemplary track record? No.

Is that relevant to him being fouled? No.

Is Adams' criticism of Rapp fair and well-stated? No... he's angry and bitter and some of his comments are personal attacks.

Do I understand Adams' anger? Yes. I understand any defenseless receiver being angry about being fouled.

Is Rapp a dirty player? I don't think so but he's been flagged for plays like this 

I can't disagree

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Can someone explain the football nuance of why Adams said that? It kind of reminded me a bit of the Hyde pick against NE in the playoffs, except Hyde got there in time to make an actual play on the ball, while Rapp was late and only had a chance to hit the receiver and ultimately did so in a way that put him in position to have it turn into a defenseless receiver type hit.

Is that the point Adams is making, that Rapp was late because he has trouble reading plays properly and then because he was late the only chance he had go make a play was creating a very high risk and unsafe situation (above and beyond the standard risk associated with playing nfl football)?

It's because Adams is a star and is butthurt about being hit. 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I get the reason he was upset, but he gave some very specific football scheme related criticism and how Rapp plays within the scheme...Adams has I'm sure watched at least some film of Rapp leading up to this game I would think and certainly he would have watched film on him when he was a starter with the Rams if the Packers played the Rams, which with both being in the NFC would have likely happened when both were on their former teams.

He didn't just say he's a backup and he shouldn't hit players like that...he said specific scheme related football xs and os is what was causing him to be a backup player.

What did he mean by the comment specifically related to the Xs and Os?

That is my specific question, I am not looking to speculate or discuss the reason Adams said what he said in this specific post/question, I am looking to understand what he meant by it and if the criticism is valid. People can think valid stuff about say a coworker that is screwing up and everyone has to cover for, but someone only finally says something about it if the thing they have an issue with finally causes a big problem.

52 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's because Adams is a star and is butthurt about being hit. 

See above, I am not asking why he said it, I honestly don't care about the drama, I'm not watching a soap opera...was what he said coming from a legitimate football point of view?

Like the stuff Payton said about Hackett...said in poor taste and not proper, but probably not incorrect.

I'm looking for someone who has legit football knowledge and that has watched tape of Rapp explain this please.

Edited by HardyBoy

Was listening to ESPN radio this afternoon and they had him on talking about wanting a winning culture in Vegas. We always complain about our receivers outside of Diggs not getting enough separation. Could you imagine Diggs and Adams!? What does it take to pry him away and Wouldya?

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saw somewhere they’d only need about $6 million to make the trade in season.

There’s also the matter of keeping him beyond this season. Also Adams’ salary is only $6M because of his signing bonus. That SB would create a huge cap hit for LV if they traded him now. So LV couldn’t trade him even if they’d want to - and I’m sure they don’t want to. 

24 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes because in season the Bills are going to create 20 million in cap space...

FOR THE LAST TIME!!!! 

THIS IS NOT MADDEN, THIS IS REAL LIFE! 

THE NFL DOES NOT WORK LIKE MADDEN!

I guess. But like... have you just tried turning the cap off tho?

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Was listening to ESPN radio this afternoon and they had him on talking about wanting a winning culture in Vegas. We always complain about our receivers outside of Diggs not getting enough separation. Could you imagine Diggs and Adams!? What does it take to pry him away and Wouldya?

I believe G Davis is failing his trial run for locking down the WR2 position.  While I would love getting D Adams I don't think it is in the budget range.  Seemed like OBJ and DHop were too expensive at the $12M range.

For the in-season trade candidates that I am hoping we are considering, it was a good week 3. 
Tampa is coming back to Earth quickly by being crushed, if that continues the M Evans hope can be brought back up (my personal top candidate).

J Meyers of Vegas is probably more realistic than Adams.  Meyers is around $11M year - and Raiders need draft capital to get a real QB - our Edmunds third should be more than enough (maybe have them eat some of the salary).

Denver stinks and one of C Sutton or J Jeudy should be available.

The Rams are headed downward and have an excess of WRs once C Kupp comes back - don't know how they could get Kupp though.

17 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saw somewhere they’d only need about $6 million to make the trade in season.

Yeah and it's less than that now.    If they were to trade for him 7-8 games in it would be about $4M.

I was going to start a thread about trading for Adams...........because it is probably the best potential all-in move they could make at the deadline..........but first there has to be some indication LV would consider it.  

Aside from Adams not adding speed to the table you'd be hard pressed to find a better way to upgrade the team in-season.   He is a legit first team All Pro and a threat at every level.   Can't even say that with a guy like Mike Evans.

Probably cost a 1 and a 2 for a team Adams would accept a trade to.......I would guess.     KC is the other team that could really use him but it would probably cost them 2 firsts or more if they would even consider a trade with their biggest rival(which I doubt).    That would be like KC trading Tyreek in division.........wasn't going to happen.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and it's less than that now.    If they were to trade for him 7-8 games in it would be about $4M.

I was going to start a thread about trading for Adams...........because it is probably the best potential all-in move they could make at the deadline..........but first there has to be some indication LV would consider it.  

Aside from not adding speed to the table you'd be hard pressed to find a better way to upgrade the team in-season.   He is a legit first team All Pro and a threat at every level.   Can't even say that with a guy like Mike Evans.

Probably cost a 1 and a 2 for a team Adams would accept a trade to.......I would guess.     KC is the other team that could really use him but it would probably cost them 2 firsts or more if they would even consider a trade with their biggest rival(which I doubt).    That would be like KC trading Tyreek in division.........wasn't going to happen.   

I'm not down with trading those picks, tempting as it seems.

Keep building.

Teams seem to draft pretty darned good receivers in the 1st and even second round. And moving around in the draft is okay.

We are not the Rams. Thank goodness

still building solid depth, and should be looking at next generation of critical starters via the draft.

I know , i make it sound simple lol

Bill need to be drafting wrs for the future. Cheap and effective.

23 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I'm not down with trading those picks, tempting as it seems.

Keep building.

Teams seem to draft pretty darned good receivers in the 1st and even second round. And moving around in the draft is okay.

We are not the Rams. Thank goodness

still building solid depth, and should be looking at next generation of critical starters via the draft.

I know , i make it sound simple lol

Bill need to be drafting wrs for the future. Cheap and effective.

Yeah that's the stock answer.

But remember that sometimes teams select 1st and 2nd round picks that end up being inactives and sometimes a second round pick gets traded for a swap of late round picks.

Not naming any names.

Adams is a pretty amazing football player.   He's actually better than Diggs,  who is GREAT.   They could recover from losing a couple picks for a nearly unstoppable player like that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If its $6m to get him in season, pull whatever strings needed. Heck, proli means extending Daquan Jones and Dion Dawkins (whos played well) as a start:

Tre White + Gabe Davis and a 1st/2nd?

Hes signed through 2026, and the Raiders ARE Bill Obrien stupid too

Bundle Hunter Renfrow and Maxx Crosby too:wub:

46 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If its $6m to get him in season, pull whatever strings needed. Heck, proli means extending Daquan Jones and Dion Dawkins (whos played well) as a start:

Tre White + Gabe Davis and a 1st/2nd?

Hes signed through 2026, and the Raiders ARE Bill Obrien stupid too

The deal Adams signed in 2022 is really more like a 3 year deal.

He is great but nobody is accepting those $35M base salary cap hits from 2025 on.

So you win with him this year and then either re-negotiate his contract or just add some dummy years to lower the $16.9M hit in 2024.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I believe G Davis is failing his trial run for locking down the WR2 position.  While I would love getting D Adams I don't think it is in the budget range.  Seemed like OBJ and DHop were too expensive at the $12M range.

For the in-season trade candidates that I am hoping we are considering, it was a good week 3. 
Tampa is coming back to Earth quickly by being crushed, if that continues the M Evans hope can be brought back up (my personal top candidate).

J Meyers of Vegas is probably more realistic than Adams.  Meyers is around $11M year - and Raiders need draft capital to get a real QB - our Edmunds third should be more than enough (maybe have them eat some of the salary).

Denver stinks and one of C Sutton or J Jeudy should be available.

The Rams are headed downward and have an excess of WRs once C Kupp comes back - don't know how they could get Kupp though.

I say we keep pilfering from the Rams and see what Cooper Kupp would cost. They have his replacement in Puka Nacua. 

• Agree 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:32 PM, Simon said:

Pros know you can't play the game half-speed. Best way to protect yourself is to play fast and physical, through every whistle.

Some accomplished pros might have the luxury of a bigger picture perspective on the game and their careers, but the majority of guys out there are DESPERATE to put the best reps on film no matter what the game situation is. They MUST take full advantage of every rep and put the best effort on film, every time. Rapp, a guy who has started a bunch of games for a VERY successful franchise, is now a backup and subpackage guy playing on a relatively modest, 1-year deal. He doesn't have the luxury of throttling down, ever, if he intends to get back on the field full-time. 

Davante Adams, in the prime of his career, forced his way OFF a winning franchise in order to get big money from a mediocre team. That's his right, for sure, but we can see that his perspective on the game differs dramatically from the vast majority of players. He can eff right off. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.