Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

How wrong were all of us about this guy??

- Led the team in tackles Week 1 and Week 2.

- Huge interception Week 2 and a nice PBU.

- Looked solid in coverage, redirecting routes and erasing short gains. 

- Surprisingly good in run fills both weeks. Quick trigger and getting downhill fast. Sure tackler.

I don’t think any of us saw this coming, but a HUGE development if what we’re seeing early continues.

• Like (+1) 36
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 12

3 minutes ago, Andysplaylist said:

You forgot saving a touchdown against the Jets early that ended up not being important. Should have been

If you're referring to Hall being caught from behind on his 80yrd carry, that was Benford that ran him down, not Bernard.

A bunch of people mixed them up because the names are so close and they both have #s in the 40's (and they're almost the same size :ph34r:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

If you're referring to Hall being caught from behind on his 80yrd carry, that was Benford that ran him down, not Bernard.

A bunch of people mixed them up because the names are so close and they both have #s in the 40's (and they're almost the same size :ph34r:)

Yup.  When he made the interception today, I thought it was Benford. Dude looks tiny out there but already making more plays than Edmunds. 

Outside of the first two Raider drivers where we gave up the middle of the field on passes, I never again thought about MLB being a gap in this game 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

- Surprisingly good in run fills both weeks. Quick trigger and getting downhill fast. Sure tackler.

I don’t think any of us saw this coming, but a HUGE development if what we’re seeing early continues.

This guy was all but forgotten on this board thru out the offseason. Glad they went w/ him instead of Dodson. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

Just watched YouTube and you are right! Wow, they look like the same player, makes much more sense that a corner could catch him. So Bernard really didn’t have a great first game, noticeably improved this game

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Andysplaylist said:

Just watched YouTube and you are right! Wow, they look like the same player, makes much more sense that a corner could catch him. So Bernard really didn’t have a great first game, noticeably improved this game

I thought he played much better than some people were giving him credit for.

A couple mental mistakes that are not unusual for a young guy in his first start but he led the team in both solo and total tackles and looked comfortable and aware in coverage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Post snap he's been way better than I expected. Takes good angles and actually makes tackles in the hole.

There have been a couple times presnap where I've seen him need help setting the defense. Been lined up wrong a couple times. But that's going to happen to an inexperienced MLB. He should get better there with more reps. Until then I would HOPE the more experienced Hyde/Poyer/ Milano can help him along.

But he's a playmaker. Excited to see how he develops.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Post snap he's been way better than I expected. Takes good angles and actually makes tackles in the hole.

There have been a couple times presnap where I've seen him need help setting the defense. Been lined up wrong a couple times. But that's going to happen to an inexperienced MLB. He should get better there with more reps. Until then I would HOPE the more experienced Hyde/Poyer/ Milano can help him along.

But he's a playmaker. Excited to see how he develops.

Yeah, I thought Groot saved him with a great play on another one today where he was having trouble getting everybody home before the snap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, Simon said:

Yeah, I thought Groot saved him with a great play on another one today where he was having trouble getting everybody home before the snap.

Really, it's not much different than having a rookie QB. There will be confusion and such at times. There will be times where he has to be helped along by teammates. But we have a lot of vets on that side of the ball that can step up. I'm actually ok with Kirksey not being moved to the roster yet....and I did NOT see that coming at all. 

Big pat on the back for McDermott, too. All 3 of the guys that he picked as winners of the position battles have looked solid. You love to see it!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I wasn’t as down on him as everyone else, was actually intrigued after he was drafted.  But with him getting hurt, signing Kirksey, and how bad Dodson was looking, I came into the season thinking Kirksey was signed to be the starter as soon as he was up to speed.  

But now, I am quite encouraged with what we have seen so far.  I’m still not going to jump the gun here and get too ahead of ourselves as we haven't exactly faced potent offenses yet, but the kid has definitely surprised with how well he has started the season. 

Im looking forward to seeing how he continues to do as it’s been fun seeing him start the season so strong.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

On 9/17/2023 at 9:33 PM, Bubba Gump said:

Dude looks like a safety out there.

I see a lot of people talking about his size like he’s tiny. Roquan Smith is 6’1” 232. Fred Warner is 6’3” 230. Those are arguably the two best linebackers in the league.

Bernard is 6’1” 225 … we just need to get used to guys who don’t look like a pterodactyl playing ILB.

It hasn’t been a bad thing thus far.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He’s been a nice surprise and arguably an upgrade over Edmund’s….if he keeps playing the way he has been……I do t buy him being 7 pounds less than Roque’s smith….that dude looks like a safety…..being so small and playing a physical position, he might not hold up

• Haha (+1) 1

IVE BEEN POUNDING THIS DRUM FOR 15MONTHS, BUT IVE NEVER WANTED A DRAFT PICK TO SUCCEED MORE THAN THIS GUY.

Were far from out of the woods, hes basically a redshirt sophmore, theres gunna be major learning curves all year.... however, he looked the part today.

People started saying he should be cut before week 8 of his rookie year lol and hes calling a defense that has high output right now, and has an interception! Love how he looks on the blitz.

I hope he wins MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 1st team all-pro generational LB.... and i hope he wind those by throwing the game winning TD on a Philly special this year. All time sack/int leader. Retires at 52, and becomes the US's first three term president with a polygamous staff of First Ladies.

Likely a healthy dose of neuroticism from me, but the slack this guy caught from day 1 was infuriating to me

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

I see a lot of people talking about his size like he’s tiny. Roquan Smith is 6’1” 232. Fred Warner is 6’3” 230. Those are arguably the two best linebackers in the league.

Benford is 6’1” 225 … we just need to get used to guys who don’t look like a pterodactyl playing ILB.

It hasn’t been a bad thing thus far.

Bernard. 🙂

57 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

I didnt really know who was going to be the MLB but I said before the loss of Edmunds wont be as big a deal as people think and this is true so far. 

Yeah, I believe the word I used was "unconcerned." I'm still unconcerned and hoping to stay that way.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Meanwhile, Edmunds has graded poorly so far in Chicago.

51.2 PFF grade and the fans writing tweets like this…

Edmunds makes a ton of plays! You just don’t see them! At least that’s what a few on this board (you know who you are) tried to sell me on 😂

Bernard looks good so far and that’s very encouraging. He’s around the ball a lot, aggressive, and plays without the hesitation that often doomed Tremaine. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

It is interesting that the Bills were able to stifle the Raiders run game so completely after giving up so many yards to the Jets last week.  The Raiders and Josh Jacobs have been known for their effectiveness running the ball over the last couple seasons.  It doesn't seem as if they would have suddenly have become terrible at running.  We'll have to wait and see, but it's possible the defense just needed a little time to gel in it's present makeup.  Bernard will have some time to demonstrate that he can be effective against big physical offenses.

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.