Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

8 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I get Benford and Elam were taken in the same draft so it kind of eases the pain of Elam not playing. However, not having him active for the first 3 games screams a mistake by Beane and CMcD. Elam has shown in the past he can play but if he’s not playing because he is a man corner instead of a zone corner then it was just a stupid pick. If he’s not playing because of poor practice habits then that’s on Elam and I get it. 

What was your opinion on Bernard?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/25/2023 at 3:34 PM, Luka said:

image.thumb.png.565aa48506fbdfad7c96941181df3a9c.png

This has been posted before.  Problem is that Elam last year played 45-100% of the snaps in the 14 games he played in.

He's hasn't put on a uniform on game day since Jaunuary---and they may toss him on Miami WRs stone cold?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This has been posted before.  Problem is that Elam last year played 45-100% of the snaps in the 14 games he played in.

He's hasn't put on a uniform on game day since Jaunuary---and they may toss him on Miami WRs stone cold?

Isn't basically every Week One starter essentially "stone cold" under this criteria? (Elam played extensively in the preseason, of course. He's been practicing. The dude is not on the street.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Isn't basically every Week One starter essentially "stone cold" under this criteria? (Elam played extensively in the preseason, of course. He's been practicing. The dude is not on the street.)

It's not week 1  Sunday.  Who is he practicing against?

On 9/25/2023 at 4:19 PM, appoo said:

McDermott isn't moving off White and Benford. He's got arguably the best performing corner pair in the NFL right now, even though the Bills have played crap QBs. 

Absolutely! And why should he step off them? They been arguably dominant 

If Benford was a 1st rounder and Elam was a 6th, there'd be zero talk.. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not week 1  Sunday.  Who is he practicing against?

Probably against the starters? Especially in anticipation of man-to-man coverage schemes and press man matchups? Isn't that what back of the depth chart guys do each week? Maybe it's more the domain of practice squad players, but guys who aren't in the gameplan still have a lot of utility in getting their teammates prepared.

But anyways. Elam could have real value in the game this week. Past season's metrics suggest it's not at all a stretch, on one hand. Of course, this season's burying on the depth chart suggests otherwise, on the other hand. 

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely! And why should he step off them? They been arguably dominant 

If Benford was a 1st rounder and Elam was a 6th, there'd be zero talk.. 

Agree with your first line. Starting CBs are playing well, at least to my untrained eye. 

But one reason to maybe elevate Elam over Jackson, perhaps, is the same reason why your second line is irrelevant: Elam has the plus speed and length and press-man traits of a 1st rounder (which ultimately matters more than the perceived value and expectations of his draft position), and those traits might be useful against the fastest offense (ever?) who relies on free releases and timing. 

I know New England followed Hill around a bunch with their 1st round rookie, Gonzalez (sucks he fell to them). Not saying Elam should mark Hill, exactly, but it's also not a wild idea. Let's forget about draft position for the sake of outside expectations, shall we? As if that's even remotely possible. 

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree with your first line. Starting CBs are playing well, at least to my untrained eye. 

But one reason to maybe elevate Elam over Jackson, perhaps, is the same reason why your second line is irrelevant: Elam has the plus speed and length and press-man traits of a 1st rounder (which ultimately matters more than the perceived value and expectations of his draft position), and those traits might be useful against the fastest offense (ever?) who relies on free releases and timing. 

I know New England followed Hill around a bunch with their 1st round rookie, Gonzalez (sucks he fell to them). Not saying Elam should mark Hill, exactly, but it's also not a wild idea. Let's forget about draft position for the sake of outside expectations, shall we? As if that's even remotely possible. 

Elam as a rookie allowed 70% catch rate and 96 rating against.

HE's been left off the roster for a reason by the coaching staff.  Perhaps these practices v. the starters aren't going so well...

On 9/25/2023 at 3:34 PM, Luka said:

image.thumb.png.565aa48506fbdfad7c96941181df3a9c.png

I am hoping this is maybe the case for a whole host of reasons. But if the dude is a lockdown man corner vs teams like Miami, you would have to expect he gets to at least dress the other Sundays of the year. 

I think Elam has some upside.  I think maybe the Miami game is a good fit to show that. But I am not sure this staff would or should dress a guy they hate to play every other week for the sake of a single game and player who plays weekly. 

• Agree 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, SCBills said:

I was somewhat surprised to see it, but Benford and Johnson's coverage metrics are off the charts, while Tre has been solid. 

I mean they played Howell, Jimmy G, and Zach Wilson which helps quite a bit, but even then they've all looked pretty good by the eye test

• Like (+1) 1

I think they should dress Elam, Elam ran a 4.39 40 and has a RAS of 8.63. That's by far the best on the team. I know the game isn't purely going to be decided off of Elam playing but the Bills coaches should have their most athletic fast corner active during a game with a team known for their speed. If the corners are getting burnt at least you have someone to turn to. 

• Like (+1) 2

I suspect KE has been in finishing school for the last month, and will see time in the Miami game. Jmo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If Elam doesn't dress for this game, and I'm not saying he should, I think it's fair to ask McD and Beane what that plan is going forward.  Hill is the reason we drafted Elam.

Which is why I think it's a bit silly that people just blame the system & give Elam a pass. 

The team clearly knew what they were targeting & knew what worked within our system. They believed Elam's skillset would work well covering covering key guys like Hill. Unfortunately, that just hasn't been the case. It's not that McDermott doesn't like to play rookies (hate that excuse), it's just that Elam isn't what they had hoped.

I certainly wish him the best, but having your completely healthy 1st round pick from just a year ago not even dress for games? The Bills coaching staff doesn't think he's the guy.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, skibum said:

It's a conundrum, for sure - You want to dress Elam for Miami based on his skill set, but do you really want his first regular season action to be against the likes of Tyreek Hill? Not a great way to shake off the rust. 

He’s not coming off an injury. I’m assuming he’s been participating in practice every day. No? I agree with Virgil here. If Elam goes the first four games without seeing the field then what are we doing here? Trade him for something of actual value to the roster. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He’s not coming off an injury. I’m assuming he’s been participating in practice every day. No? I agree with Virgil here. If Elam goes the first four games without seeing the field then what are we doing here? Trade him for something of actual value to the roster. 

But what are you going to get for a non-playing DB that would have "actual value to the roster"?

As disappointing as Elam is right now, I believe we learned that having decent DBs waiting in the wings is very valuable to the roster as you get through the season and injuries mount.

I dont see us trading him for another position that will come in and start, so might as well keep him around in case of emergency.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

If Elam doesn't dress for this game, and I'm not saying he should, I think it's fair to ask McD and Beane what that plan is going forward.  Hill is the reason we drafted Elam.

Not sure why everyone feels the need to overthink this.  If he didn't completely suck, they'd have him active if even to save face for trading up in the first to draft him.  I'd they can get anything at all for him, they should move on.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But what are you going to get for a non-playing DB that would have "actual value to the roster"?

As disappointing as Elam is right now, I believe we learned that having decent DBs waiting in the wings is very valuable to the roster as you get through the season and injuries mount.

I dont see us trading him for another position that will come in and start, so might as well keep him around in case of emergency.

I have no idea what they can get for a First Round Draft Pick but I sure hope (and actually expect) they’re exploring it. This isn’t all that different from a highly recruited college player who, for whatever reason, isn’t getting playing time. It’s very common these days for those kids to change schools. Your football career is very short. Having him just sit here is a total waste of everyone’s time. 

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea what they can get for a First Round Draft Pick but I sure hope (and actually expect) they’re exploring it. This isn’t all that different from a highly recruited college player who, for whatever reason, isn’t getting playing time. It’s very common these days for those kids to change schools. Your football career is very short. Having him just sit here is a total waste of everyone’s time. 

But this isn't college.  We've seen how NFL teams like the Bills look at the big picture as far as roster construction, playing time, etc goes.  It was just a couple seasons ago that they kept Bates on the bench just in case they needed him due to an injury, even though he was better than at least one of the starting O-linemen (Ford).

• Like (+1) 1

If Elam is the press man corner everybody says he might be and this is truly just a scheme issue, I think he still needs to be dressing weekly.

I think this either has to be a scheme issue and it is on the coaches to get him on the field putting him in a position to succeed, or he isn't an NFL caliber player. I am not on the "fire McBeane" train, but I don't know if I see a middle ground where both truth's exist. 

He had moments last year, so it is kind of crazy to me he isn't even active on game days. if I recall he graded out fairly average on PFF. Which isn't the worst place to be for a rookie. 

On the flip side I have rallied against AJE sucking but he is having a year so far. So who know. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.