Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The thing is, judging from your body of work as a poster here, you would think McDermott can't get it done come playoff time even if he *could*

You're the Bulletin Board posting embodiment of a Type II error**

You have a 3 year record here of having all sorts of reasons (besides McDermott) why the Bills were going to lose.

2020: "I see one playoff win and then we lose. Is this considered a successful season? "

and: "The same logic can be applied to the Rams game and to some extent the New England game. Those were 2 games we should have lost. Refs bad PI call. Horrific fumble by Newton. Perhaps add in the raider game as well."

2021: "What do you expect from a New England based reporter? The Bills weaknesses are on both sides of the lines. They got manhandled on the lines vs Pitt, Tenn, Colts, and Jags. The "soft" label isn't a unfair statement. We will see if the Bills can she'd this label and beat the Pats. "

2022: "Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo. They have weapons galore on offense and a innovation modern day coach. The Bills aren't cruising past them for the division. It will be a dog fight likely to the end. The Bills have proven that can't beat KC or Cincinnati in the playoffs. This year is likely the same outcome. Both teams have tested and proven playoff winners. Mahomes and Burrow are clearly better than Allen come playoff time. Allen is not the Allen of 13 seconds in KC. That year and that game was an outliner. We haven't seen that version of Allen in 3 years and likely never will. We fans have to stop thinking that's the version of Allen we will get! Instead, we will get an inconsistent Allen. One who will make spectacular plays and bone head plays."

and: (prior to the Dolphins game):"Bills are chasing the Dolphins early in the season. Could this be the changing of the guard with a Miami win?"

and: (October 31) "AFC - Cinci. Burrow is elite. Big time weapons. Experienced team. NFC - Philly. They are just too good. Biggest surprises Bills miss the playoffs. Dolphins play in the AFC championship game."

---------------that's just a 5 minute sample without looking too hard.  I know there was "better" stuff to be found.---------------

My points:

1) You can't have it both ways.  If the Bills have had 13-3, 11-6, 13-3 records the last 3 years while having an inconsistent bonehead QB (whose 13 second game was an outlier) and while being weak on both sides of the lines and soft, then they must have a damned good coach to compensate.  And if all that's true (and there's some truth to it), maybe the problem isn't the coach.

2) After a sufficient number of false negative opinions, it becomes clear that someone's negative views are relatively meaningless.  You were predicting doom and gloom and playoff losses or early exits back in 2020 (AFCCG year), way before McDermott had any track record to support "McD can't get it done come playoff time".  You may be right; you may be wrong, but you've been wrong enough that it's "eh".

I'm not saying the Bills will go deep in the playoffs this year.  The injuries run deep on defense, I think we lack enough skill position talent on offense, and I'm not sure about Brady yet.  It's also possible that the negative take on McDermott is correct.

I'm just saying that based on your track record here, your belief that McDermott can't get it done come playoff time should not be taken as evidence either way.

**since I was asked: statistically, a Type II error is a false negative conclusion.

Came with the receipts!

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One can also hold an opinion that is wrong at a momen in time that if held later would be correct. Even if there is grounds for firing McDermott after this season, that doesn't mean you were right when you wanted to fire him 2 years ago. It doesn't work like that. Life isn't so binary. 

Agree but one should also go back and look at the results of staying the course. I think it's reasonable to say a change should have been made sooner if the results are inferior.

Contemplate the Dorsey hiring and firing as an example. Based on your theory the fans pounding for his firing long ago were incorrect? Or correct? Or indifferent? 

At some point there becomes an evaluation of the facts afterwards. I think it's reasonable to make conclusions on being correct or incorrect. McD is no exception. 

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but one should also go back and look at the results of staying the course. I think it's reasonable to say a change should have been made sooner if the results are inferior.

You still can't have it both ways.  If the Bills were "soft" and weak on both sides of the line and Allen is an inconsistent QB who makes bone headed plays for whom the play at the end of the 2021 season was a total fluke not to be repeated in 3 years before and since, then it's not an indictment of McDermott to not succeed with that, and calling for his head at that point just makes him a scapegoat.  If the lines and the QB were consistently good enough to win, then you can point the finger at McDermott as the problem.

Either or, Not Both.

Don't come in here now like you've thought McDermott was the Bills only problem for the last 3 years and firing him would be curative for an otherwise Championship roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Contemplate the Dorsey hiring and firing as an example. Based on your theory the fans pounding for his firing long ago were incorrect? Or correct? Or indifferent? 

At some point there becomes an evaluation of the facts afterwards. I think it's reasonable to make conclusions on being correct or incorrect. McD is no exception. 

I don't think firing Dorsey after last season would have been correct. I think had they fired him after the Giants game that would have been defensible.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think firing Dorsey after last season would have been correct. I think had they fired him after the Giants game that would have been defensible.

The Bills won that game arguably on a missed defensive penalty at the death. If it had been given, and the Giants had won, would Dorsey have been fired then?
And then the Bills only lost to the Broncos due to 12 men on the field for the missed kick. If Special Teams had done their job, would Dorsey have kept his position for at least another week?
Considering the reaction post Broncos perhaps the Bills would have been better off if the penalty had been given, leading to a Giants win.

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct but that doesn't address the thesis of what I was saying. 

I willing to give my props to those who wanted a new OC at the end of last season. You seem to be hesitant. 

The results of the anti Dorsey rhetoric was correct. It was a mistake to have him move forward this year. 

A top notch organization often makes moves before the public and it's fans can see the obvious. The Bills held on to Dorsey far too long. Those fans screaming for a new OC were correct. It remains to be seen on McD. 

That's really the point Gunner. Hope that makes sense. 

• Disagree 3

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I willing to give my props to those who wanted a new OC at the end of last season. You seem to be hesitant. 

I am hesitant because at that time it would have been the wrong call. He had coordinated the #2 offense in yards and points in his 1 season as a coordinator. If you fire a guy at that point it isn't just about firing him it is the way that decision is perceived and what it says about your franchise. It would have been the wrong call. While the overall numbers were still strong in 2023 the run of performances before he was let go, pointless first halves, ugly offensive drives and an increasing feeling that things were stuck despite better offensive talent than a year ago.... the case was much more persuasive. 

So no, I don't accept that the people who wanted him fired after one season were visionaries. They were premature. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, CincyBillsFan said:

Some context please - wasn't Allen and Dawkins the ONLY Bills players that were on the field for EVERY offensive snap in the sauna like conditions where almost every other Bills player spent time on the sideline suffering heat stroke?  When Allen missed on that pass it was near the end of the game and one can only guess how little he had left in the tank at that point.

Not to say that Allen does not miss on any throws as he does, but the Bills use a lot of choice routes that require the WR and QB be on the same page.

One of the knocks on McKenzie is that he often ran bad routes breaking them off when he was supposed to continue, or continuing when he needed to break them off or sit in a spot, inbreaking vs outbreaking, or just the wrong route.

We would have to know if it was a designed play or scrable drill first and then what McKenzie was supposed to be running before assessing blame.

Allen last year had that shoulder injury that really affected his release and accuracy too. This example may be from before, but he was definitely struggling after that UCL injury from the Jets game.

Even Diggs who runs great routes was frustrated at times as he was dirting or air mailing a lot more of his short to intermediate throws.

I think banged up Bills did a good piece on that UCL injury and how it impacted throws, the rest needed between games - so less practices, and ultimately the impact to our passing game.

Davis to the Packers?

Green Bay Packers Expected To Sign Buffalo Bills 24-Year-Old Star Weapon (Report)

Gabe Davis would be the Packers’ receiving yards leader with his 2023 total despite not gaining a yard in three of the last four games.

Davis, who has 595 yards this season, could be poised to take the step up from supporting Stefon Diggs to No. 1 wide receiver.

The 24-year-old may not have the best regular season going at the moment, but his postseason performances could make him more valuable to certain teams.

Davis turned in a 100-yard game last season against the Miami Dolphins and had 201 receiving yards versus the Kansas City Chiefs two years ago in the divisional-round thriller.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:07 PM, newcam2012 said:

Correct but that doesn't address the thesis of what I was saying. 

The results of the anti Dorsey rhetoric was correct. It was a mistake to have him move forward this year. 

A top notch organization often makes moves before the public and it's fans can see the obvious. The Bills held on to Dorsey far too long. Those fans screaming for a new OC were correct. It remains to be seen on McD. 

That's really the point Gunner. Hope that makes sense. 

No it doesn’t make sense at all. You do not fire an OC after one year where they were top 3 in offense and scoring.

What kind of message are you sending to your team firing a coordinator with those rankings?

You saw how dejected Josh felt after Dorsey was fired when they were averaging 18 points a game for about a 6 game stretch.  What would the feeling have been after firing him when we finished the season with 32, 35, 35, 34 points in a 4 game stretch before the Bengals playoff game?  

On 12/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, newcam2012 said:

It obvious I'm critical of the coach and the roster. It's not popular here. I'm not the only one here. I'm not on some crusade to blast negativity. What I said had/has merit. The end results are unknown until they happen. To point out my wrongs after the fact are more than fair. However, you can go back and find wrongs on everyone. 

Let me give you a fine example. For the longest, I've been advocating for the Bills to move on from McD. While doing so, I've received so much negative feedback and opposing views. I welcomed it all. However, my stance was pretty much on an island with the exception of a few. Fast forward to about a month ago while I was in time out. So many on here were echoing similar stances to mine. It was confirmation that maybe my thinking wasn't off. Much different than being right or wrong. 

The underlined portion is the biggest lie on this board.  It was proven when you were in time out, you can't post your negativity anymore so what did you do?  X'ed everything positive about this Bills.....like several dozen X's.  Your crusade is so strong, not even being put in timeout stops you from being negative.  

You get negative feedback because of your content, your thought process and your ability to reason.  Your negative is just repetitive like a broken record and it doesn't add anything of value to this board.

If you are an adult who is put in timeout for consistently bad posts, that's a you problem.

There isn't a person on this board his disagreed with more.  It's not because you're a victim....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The underlined portion is the biggest lie on this board.  It was proven when you were in time out, you can't post your negativity anymore so what did you do?  X'ed everything positive about this Bills.....like several dozen X's.  Your crusade is so strong, not even being put in timeout stops you from being negative.  

You get negative feedback because of your content, your thought process and your ability to reason.  Your negative is just repetitive like a broken record and it doesn't add anything of value to this board.

If you are an adult who is put in timeout for consistently bad posts, that's a you problem.

There isn't a person on this board his disagreed with more.  It's not because you're a victim....

I think the Bills will win big today!

17 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No it doesn’t make sense at all. You do not fire an OC after one year where they were top 3 in offense and scoring.

What kind of message are you sending to your team firing a coordinator with those rankings?

You saw how dejected Josh felt after Dorsey was fired when they were averaging 18 points a game for about a 6 game stretch.  What would the feeling have been after firing him when we finished the season with 32, 35, 35, 34 points in a 4 game stretch before the Bengals playoff game?  

When the OC was seemingly responsible for turning Allen into a shell of himself for much of the year, it makes a lot of sense.  

17 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hmm...are you sure about that?  @Airseven is a Fins troll masquerading as a Bills fan and has absurdly negative takes pretty often

On 12/23/2023 at 5:06 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Davis to the Packers?

Green Bay Packers Expected To Sign Buffalo Bills 24-Year-Old Star Weapon (Report)

Gabe Davis would be the Packers’ receiving yards leader with his 2023 total despite not gaining a yard in three of the last four games.

Davis, who has 595 yards this season, could be poised to take the step up from supporting Stefon Diggs to No. 1 wide receiver.

The 24-year-old may not have the best regular season going at the moment, but his postseason performances could make him more valuable to certain teams.

Davis turned in a 100-yard game last season against the Miami Dolphins and had 201 receiving yards versus the Kansas City Chiefs two years ago in the divisional-round thriller.

Well, I suppose an article featured in "Wisconsin Sports Heroics," titled, "Green Bay Packers Expected To Sign Buffalo Bills 24-year-old Star Weapon (Report)," containing only blithe conjecture, and written by a die-hard Packers fan, with an associates degree in General Studies is exactly the reason Simon created this thread.

• Haha (+1) 2

He couldn’t wait

44 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He couldn’t wait

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, I suppose an article featured in "Wisconsin Sports Heroics," titled, "Green Bay Packers Expected To Sign Buffalo Bills 24-year-old Star Weapon (Report)," containing only blithe conjecture, and written by a die-hard Packers fan, with an associates degree in General Studies is exactly the reason Simon created this thread.

Be careful on who you mention… don’t throw off the Emperor’s Groove! Beware the groove

Edited by Prospector

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

hence the post in this thread.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:00 PM, GunnerBill said:

I still think so many of our offensive struggles early in the year were beyond Dorsey's control.

Take the Giants game for example. The offense was nearly perfect in the second half. Three possessions, two long time-consuming TD drives. The third possession we would have ran out the clock but Allen barely miss-fired to Knox who couldn't bring in the pass. The game plan in the second half of the Giants game was great and executed to near perfection. 

The first half of the Giants game we had two drives end by WR's being tripped unintentionally by the DB. We haven't seen that at any other point this year, but it happened twice in one half in that game. Go figure. And I think Allen through an INT in the first half as well? Just a lot of weird things that make it hard to point directly at the OC.

That said, I'm happy with Joe Brady for now and glad the change seems to have worked out for the better.

FWIW, on the Buffalo Plus pod yesterday with Dan Fetes and his NE sports journalist guest (link here), they discuss that after this hit happened, Belichick apparently came up to McD during the postgame handshake and said what his guy [Gronk] had done was BS...(not that Belichick probably did anything about it internally though? At least I don't recall ever hearing anything to that effect). 

• Thank you (+1) 2

peoples elbow WTF. 

This is a guy justifying why he took that shot.  what a dirtbag.

He is just lucky that Tre wasn't more seriously injured dude would be NOT smiling then.

I dont need more reasons to dislike the guy. This surprises me ZERO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, muppy said:

peoples elbow WTF. 

This is a guy justifying why he took that shot.  what a dirtbag.

He is just lucky that Tre wasn't more seriously injured dude would be NOT smiling then.

I dont need more reasons to dislike the guy. This surprises me ZERO

Agree. That was awful what he said. Classless on his part.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Belichick apparently came up to McD during the postgame handshake and said what his guy [Gronk] had done was BS...

I remember that… it was a lengthy exchange by post-game standards. I vaguely remember being able to read Belichick’s lips. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Is my memory correct that he wasn’t even tossed from the game after pummeling White?  Outrageous.

Tre’s teammates were super weak in standing up for him too. I think Hyde gave him a little shove. Reminded me of the Sabres soft response after the Bruins guy ran over Miller. 

and I used to like Gronk. Buffalo type of guy who I have a ton of friends who are like (myself included). But that was such a scumbag move. And get off tv. He’s really not that interesting or adds any real perspective to anything. Dude kinda sucks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That's right, the pod guys said it was about 35 seconds, an eternity for postgame handshakes. 

I vividly remember that play. I went to college in Massachusetts. I had one roommate who was also a Bills fan and the rest were Patriots fans - we all watched the game together. 

I was so fired up about that hit because it was absolute bull####. I love my friends, but in typical Masshole fashion they turned it into me being a sore loser, mocked the hit, etc. 

Gronk apologised after the game - clearly that meant nothing other than trying to placate the league. Sounds like he would have been happy enough had White come away with a serious injury (not that concussion isn't serious enough).

And to think I was starting to like him on FOX coverage. In truth, a leopard never changes it's spots.

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Not sure if this was posted in any other threads, but in case you needed more reason to dislike Gronk and Edelman 

Lol. Just a bad human being. 

And this actually comes across pretty whiney rather than braggadocios. He's trying to sound cool, but he's still a salty little b word.