Why Are We Not Winning Superbowls?

Milanos Milano

18 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I guess if there’s a dissenting opinion it’s now considered ‘trolling’ by some. Well, may as well just close the board down if there’s no room for debate. 

ok…now, I can’t say you’re wrong to question it. Brady was super competitive and is generally acknowledged to be a guy who studied the game like his life depended on it, dissected every opponent, and had a diet and exercise regiment that would extend his career. He lived to win championships. He made few public appearances doing golf, baseball games, or anything other than family events. Few players are that dedicated. 
Is Josh that dedicated? I don’t know. Maybe. But he does seem to make time for podcasts, lots of golf, etc. - things we rarely witnessed with Brady. 

It is slightly curious that Josh admits to not being a big film guy. His rationale being (paraphrasing) that he doesn’t want to get locked into a player’s tendencies only to find they’ve changed it up on game day.  If that works for him, ok.  We’ll see. I just hope he has similar obsessive desire as Brady to win a championship. 

The majority of posters in this thread are of the sentiment the OP is not “dissenting opinion” because the initial premise was a steaming pile of sh*t spouted by Whitlock, then bastardized into some weird non sequitur with Brady. 

Whitlock - the same clown who had to apologize to Diggs on Twitter. Consider the source and how stupid this has become.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Single elimination tournament.  Anything can happen in a single elim. tourney.   One bad day/bunch of guys out/etc /etc.  you lose and your out.   

As Steve Tasker says, you need to play well on THAT day (ie the day of a tournament game). 

You can be the best in the league statistically , but if you don't win on that day against that team, you are out.  

NFL playoffs are kind of a "made for TV ratings " bull#### format where the best team can easily not win the title.   

Regular season standings should count for a heck of a lot more but they don't in the American sports leagues

3 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Why, it’s an honest discussion. Seriously, Brady wasn’t athletic at all compared to Josh, and yet he still managed to win the big games. Why? Was it because he put in more time on the field to learn the ins and outs? 

because his organization cheated a ton, and weren’t ungodly cursed like the Bills are.  And their coaching staff didn’t have a propensity to s*** all over themselves in big situations.

• Like (+1) 1

Between the ears my a$$. Josh rated up there with Drew Bees and Joe Burrow on intelligence testing coming into the league. 

As much as we all think we know answers that people who spend 80-100 hours per week dissecting this sport for a living don’t, it ain’t the case.

Even being the best team in the league, sometimes by a lot, is no guarantee of even making it to a Super Bowl. It has happened many times to many teams.

And yes, Marino was still the best QB I’ve ever seen. 0 Super Bowl wins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Negativity and criticism has a place on the board. To bash it often is counter productive to stimulating and valid debates back and forth. 

However, a criticism or positive needs to be reinforced with some legitimate reasoning, facts, stats, and opinions.  I feel the original poster has failed to meet this threshold. 

Just my two cents 

I agree. I'm all for critique of Josh, but this is just pure conjecture based off what is almost certainly a lie pulled from Jason Whitlock's ass.  It's equivalent to gossip.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

. . . . and Joe Montana just said Marino, and not Brady, was the greatest QB ever!

That’s because he could never ever say a Michigan QB was better than him a ND QB. Lol 

that said this topic is dumb.. so many great QBs never win a SB. Some never even make the dance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Then what is it? Brady never really had elite receiving options. Mahomes lost Hill and still put up elite numbers. If we lost Diggs would Allen still put up elite numbers? I’m not exactly sure. 

Dan Marino issue is that he had a terrible team, that organization was bad at giving him elite talent. If the Bills had Marino, they likely win 1 or 2 Super Bowl over Kelly. Marino never had a Smith, Reed, or Thomas and other all pros. 

Then what is IT?  Let me spell it out for you.  There is no IT.  Period. There’s more than IT.  You’re talking about 3 seasons of not winning the Super Bowl and are under the assumption that we didn’t win one because of IT.  

I’m not going to waste anymore time repeating myself in such a stupid line of discussion. 

There isn’t one reason.  There are reasons and then there is also the word everyone hates to use but exists and can have a huge impact on a teams season.  Luck.  

have fun, I’m out

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Between the ears my a$$. Josh rated up there with Drew Bees and Joe Burrow on intelligence testing coming into the league. 

As much as we all think we know answers that people who spend 80-100 hours per week dissecting this sport for a living don’t, it ain’t the case.

Even being the best team in the league, sometimes by a lot, is no guarantee of even making it to a Super Bowl. It has happened many times to many teams.

And yes, Marino was still the best QB I’ve ever seen. 0 Super Bowl wins.

Marino is a good cautionary tale.  Those teams were always poorly constructed - they put more emphasis on weapons for the great QB, instead of building the trenches and shoring up the D.

And I agree - he was the best, imo.  Football is the ultimate team game - SB wins aren't really much of a measure, as logical as that seems to be. Most fans go by that, but so many things go into winning a SB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You started off with the first post implyinh that if Josh studied more film , he would be as good as Brady and have already won Superbowls. That in itself was a shallow post devoid of much thought. Then when challenged, you kept moving the goal posts bouncing from lack of WR to MCD's coaching. At this point you are just flailing too stay afloat when people are calling you out for your lack of details and sound logic.

In my 20+ years on this board, I haven't said this to many posters but I am going to channel the erstwhile DC Tom in me and say -you are an idiot

🍻 

Timing and circumstance, combined with one colossal blunder. It’s really that simple. Pat Mahomes is in the AFC ( in no small part thanks to McDermott). That’s not all though. Andy Reid coaches Mahomes’ team and is the best play designer/OC in football, bar none. They have an uncoverable TE to boot. The Bills had a very injured team by last seasons end. They had a huge coaching blunder in the waning moments of a playoff game vs KC that they had in the bag. These things have conspired to keep the Bills out of the big game, where I think they would have beaten two of the last 3 NFC representatives. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Very simple Beane has had average drafts from 2019-2022. That ‘curse’ seems to have ended in 2023 with the first 3 picks all looking like solid contributors. Then there is the McDermott/Frazier mistake. Allen practically Brady’d his way through KC in 2021 playoffs only to be let down by poor coaching and a coin toss. 

If anything Allen has helped cover up the flaws of Beane & McDermott/Frazier. No way the Bills pile up a 37-9 regular season record since 2020 without the brilliance of Allen. 

42 minutes ago, Success said:

Marino is a good cautionary tale.  Those teams were always poorly constructed - they put more emphasis on weapons for the great QB, instead of building the trenches and shoring up the D.

And I agree - he was the best, imo.  Football is the ultimate team game - SB wins aren't really much of a measure, as logical as that seems to be. Most fans go by that, but so many things go into winning a

Exactly!   For the record, three backup QBs led their teams to SB victories: Earl Morrall (Baltimore Colts, SB V), Jeff Hostetler (SB XXV), and Nick Foles (SB LII).  There have also been several QBs who'd best be described as "journeymen" or "average" who took their teams to SB wins, including Mark Rypien( SB XXVI) and Trent Dilfer (SB XXXV).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Because we’re Buffalo. Armpit of the East. Worst weather in the continental U.S. Canada doesn’t want us. The US won’t acknowledge us. Nothing good ever happens here. It’s not in the cards. There’s no divine intervention.

We’re forlorn. We’ll never win a major sport championship. We’re not worthy. I wish it weren’t true, but there’s zero evidence to claim otherwise.

🤷‍♂️it’s simply the way it is.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Brady was smarter and more naturally intuitive than any qb in history. Mahomes has equal athleticism of Allen but Reid is worlds better than McDermott.  Josh is in a tough place.  He's surrounded with enough talent to easily go to or even win a SB.  But there are other factors involved including luck that must hit. Should we have won a SB in these last 3 years? Absolutely,  but as crazy good as JA is, you still need a little more. Ask Dan Marino.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Why, it’s an honest discussion. Seriously, Brady wasn’t athletic at all compared to Josh, and yet he still managed to win the big games. Why? Was it because he put in more time on the field to learn the ins and outs? 

It’s an inaccurate premise. Josh has said logically that film study has value but it can have diminishing efficiency. He works on his craft off season with Jordan Palmer. This narrative is a take off from zero effort MM trying to  piss on Josh because Diggs is a diva. Josh has improved over his career at every level via hard work. He grew up on a farm working hard every day. Stop the nonsense. He outsmarts  defenders as well as beating them with talent!!! 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A while back, some "genius" did a mathematical analysis using some equations that he conjured up. Several months prior, Shaw66 did a very good qualitative analysis of what it takes to win a SB. I suggest you read Shaw's.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

Josh Allen goes to bed dreaming about Brady's oline during those Patriot Superbowl years.

Josh Allen goes to bed dreaming about having those Patriot run games that weren't blown up 5 yards in the backfield and a successful run is gaining 1 yard. Our starting RB last year is a back up this year on a bottom three offensive roster...

Josh Allen goes to sleep dreaming of having a 3rd receiver better than Isiah Mckenzie. A guy who couldn't even make the Colts roster. Another bottom 3 roster for offensive talent.

Josh Allen goes to sleep dreaming of having better redzone threats than no separation off the line Gabe Davis, no recievers who can block to help the run game, Isiah Mckenzie as your third target being 5 foot 7 with no ability to beat a zone defense. Dawson Knox being forced to help Spencer Brown because Brown is consistently beat by undrafted rookies. 

Let's blame Josh Allen though. Tell me you can't analyze football, without telling me you can't analyze football.

Brady twice took undrafted WRs, one a converted QB from Kent State, and helped turn them into some of the best slot receivers in the NFL. QBs have to help elevate their offense as well. 

Allen is elite, but saying that he had no help isn't true. He has to help elevate guys too. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Brady twice took undrafted WRs, one a converted QB from Kent State, and helped turn them into some of the best slot receivers in the NFL. QBs have to help elevate their offense as well. 

Allen is elite, but saying that he had no help isn't true. He has to help elevate guys too. 

Do pray tell who has a worse supporting cast than Allen out of Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, Dak, Tua, heck we can keep going. Allen has had to do far too much and its starting to catch up. How people cannot see this is beyond me?

Brady had a far superior run game and offensive line, when compared to Josh Allen. Not to mention the Patriots defense knew how to stop opposing offenses in the playoffs.

Meanwhile our defense folds like a cheap tent in the playoffs as we watch the Bengals and Chiefs inferior defenses find another 3 gears in the playoffs. It's nauseating how much this freaking team relies on Allen. I've see the Bengals, Patriots, and Chiefs win multiple playoff games when Burrow, Brady, and Mahomes are not on their A game. Bills have won playoff win you can credit the defense for. The Ravens game. That's it. 

Edited by HaldimandBills
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Not sure carrying the team isn’t a form of elevating the guys around him. His talent allows their skills to shine. He finds anyone, anytime, anywhere on the field.

Brady did it for a very long time. Allen is just getting started .

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
Add
  • Like (+1) 1

Because we have not been lucky
Let’s face it takes a certain amount of luck every year in order to win a Super Bowl. By the time you get to that game you can be.

Beat to ***** with injuries

Almost have one of your players die on the field

Have one of the worst winter storms where your players can’t even get to the stadium without help by the way this team prior to this year was totally built only for warm weather. Thankfully Brandon brought in some heavy hitters so that we can run the ball.

In the 13 seconds game we were just damn on the butt. The chances of them doing anything in that game were so low and they just made it happen. You have to give credit to them. Yes we should’ve knuckleball that ball at the end of the game so that the time would run out, it was a mistake by the coaches but the truth of the matter is we should never have given up a 13 seconds lead even if they called the play the way it was cold it was just luck 

. Eventually, the luck will turn our way.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Well his other option was to go to NE and play with Brady… So his career arc would been very similar to what it was. 

15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Well his other option was to go to NE and play with Brady… So his career arc would been very similar to what it was. 

Actually he would have played one year with Brady in 2019. They lost in the first round of the playoffs. He would have not had his best 3 years in a row. 

to me its because we don't take whats given to us. The Patriots used to take advantage in that way.

With our offensive philosophy, we're at our best when Josh completes high percentage throws, executes our offense & gets 1st downs. We dont need to throw 40 yards down field all the time. If we just take what defenses give us, if we just execute within ourselves, we should win most games.

It feels like the thing that is stopping us is ourselves. The lack of focus, penalties, coaching & execution... its us its us.

but you guys already know..

I hope that Cinci game was just a pariah, an outlier. As BILLS fans we've been thru a lot. We've seen how bad things can get. This team is so close. We have so much talent across the roster. Mano a mano we play smart & tough we win.  This team needs to look within & at one another & find some character. Who do you want to be? Do you want to be losers or do you want to be the Super Bowl winning BUFFALO BILLS?

They should be sick of being losers now. They were new to it when they got here but they should feel it now. Lets see who they are come Monday Night!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Because Sean is not HIM.

He overruled the squibb kick Heath Farwell called.

Then, took over the defense from Leslie in the final :13 seconds and completely blew it.

That was our best chance in 30 years.

It was over ruled? Wasn’t the story the call wasn’t properly communicated? 

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Likely because only 1 team wins every year!

As we close in on 60 of these things you’d think they could’ve gotten one by now. 

49 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Not sure carrying the team isn’t a form of elevating the guys around him. His talent allows their skills to shine. He finds anyone, anytime, anywhere on the field.

Brady did it for a very long time. Allen is just getting started .

My point being,  people keep blaming the lack of talent around Allen as the reason,  when every team loses players,  or has missed draft picks,  etc.  

Brady had new receivers every couple years. Deon Branch, Edelman,  Welker, David Givens, David Patton, Chris Hogan, Brandon LaFell.  Only Moss and Gronk would remotely be considered elite.  

I'm not trying to put down Allen. He's top 5, probably top 3 in the NFL right now.  He's immensely talented. But all QBs have new hurdles every year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Marcia was the GCOAT. Greatest Cheater of All Time.  That's why.  Always knew where to throw the ball because the voice in the ear said who was open.  Fumbled multiple standard deviations less than any team EVER in the NFL due to under- inflated footballs.  Gifted two Super Bowls by Atlanta and Seattle.  So ***** off about the greatness of Brady.  A stain on the game that's finally been removed.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, cle23 said:

My point being,  people keep blaming the lack of talent around Allen as the reason,  when every team loses players,  or has missed draft picks,  etc.  

Brady had new receivers every couple years. Deon Branch, Edelman,  Welker, David Givens, David Patton, Chris Hogan, Brandon LaFell.  Only Moss and Gronk would remotely be considered elite.  

I'm not trying to put down Allen. He's top 5, probably top 3 in the NFL right now.  He's immensely talented. But all QBs have new hurdles every year.  

So are you suggesting the burden is on Allen to elevate those around him because of a lack of talent?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.