Beanes drafts rate very highly

78thealltimegreat

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Basham trade caused a bit of anti-Beane hysteria that I'm glad the OP is trying to correct.

But I have to wonder about the methodology that ranks Beane as the NFL's third-best drafter since 2018.  It's not as nuanced as DVR, but I heard a GM once say that teams consist of jags and standouts.  It's the standouts who get you into the playoffs and to the Super Bowl.  You need enough of them, and you need them at the right positions.  

I'm a simple guy.  I like his two-bucket approach.  And in my mind, here are our standouts:

Allen (draft - Beane)

Diggs (trade)

Poyer (FA)

Hyde (FA)

White (draft - Whaley)

Milano (draft - Whaley)

Miller (FA).

The rest of the roster is a bunch of jags of various flavors.  I guess you could argue, based on the DVR data, that our jags are incrementally better than the jags on other teams.  And we do have to give Beane credit for the free agent acquisitions.  Overall, he has built a nice roster.  But I do wish he'd find more playmakers in the draft.  Only one impact player in six years doesn't get us into the big game.  

I’ve had my issues with Brandon as well but I had no idea his drafts compared to the rest of the league are quite good. His problem is until they win a Lombardi trophy everything he does will get nitpicked. Like last year when he selected Elam with George Pickens staring right at him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also, the Football Team (best name ever) being so high really makes this list pretty questionable.

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Rounds 1-2 matter most. So when you are near last in 2nd round that hurts. Being bad at second rounders greatly outweighs being good at 4-7 round picks. 

Could also the trade ups are the real killers. Almost every pick in the draft is a lottery ticket and when you trade up, you give up shots to win so you have to Nail  those picks. Especially when you are hamstrung by the cap. 

55 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The issue still remains though that if you subtract JA17 from the equation, both Beane and McD are no different that every other failed GM/HC that's come through Buffalo since 2000 and that's what a lot of Bills mafia doesn't seem to understand or want to acknowledge.

And if your aunt had stones, she'd be your uncle

so freaking what

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Could also the trade ups are the real killers. Almost every pick in the draft is a lottery ticket and when you trade up, you give up shots to win so you have to Nail  those picks. Especially when you are hamstrung by the cap. 

Exactly. In addition, I doubt this list counts for position played. Drafting and hitting on premium positions is what is most important. Back to Singletary - how easily could average level free agent $ replaced what he provided? So why waste these picks on positions that can easily be replaced in free agency.

7 minutes ago, jletha said:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1696880451481223324?s=20

Remember when Roseman drafted this guy one spot before Justin Jefferson...Im sure they are calling for his head in Philly

It’s Philly. They call for someone’s head every hour. They lost their minds over the Hurts pick as well. 

this just in. Most fans are emotional and dumb (I’m just emotional 😂).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think that Beane should listen to his scouts a lot more when it comes to early round picks instead of his other higher ups and McDermott.

Obviously, I'm not in the room but the vast majority of the time, THE GM, HC etc. only go and see the top guys and scout them due to time. Then the scouts do the dirty work and usually in Day 3 its the scouts that are pounding the table for guys to the GM instead of the GM dictating. The Bills scouting staff has found multiple day 3 guys but can't seem to figure out Day 2 very well. 

Also ignored is draft position...for most of Mcbeane's tenure (ie all but one year) they have been a playoff team. During that same time, the Bengals were pretty bad for all but two of those seasons. It's a lot easier to be a genius if you are picking in the top 5 of every round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

For fun, I went back and looked at these drafts...if you think our picks are bad, you should see some of the other guys. Like, at least Epenessa and Basham play.

The year we drafted Singletary, the 5 best guys in the third round were: Singletary, Dionte Johnson (taken before our pick), Mclaurin, Mcgovern and Damien Harris...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Also ignored is draft position...for most of Mcbeane's tenure (ie all but one year) they have been a playoff team. During that same time, the Bengals were pretty bad for all but two of those seasons. It's a lot easier to be a genius if you are picking in the top 5 of every round.

Yep.

In the last 3 seasons excluding this years, the Bengals had two top 5 pick’s including #1 overall.

• Like (+1) 1

Some fans like to focus on Beane's misses. But sometimes when I read those posts, I can't tell if they understand that EVERY GM in the league has them - in the higher rounds, and the lower rounds, and everything in between.  

The draft is such a crapshoot. On balance, Beane has done well.  And I think this last draft may go down as his best (outside of the Allen pick).

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Singletary, Phillips and Knox all played a lot.  Most 3rd rounders do not start and are mostly back ups. 

Most is an accurate statement. 

However 9% make All-Pro status and about 35% start all the games they are eligible for. These are general stats I saw from a few sites. 

So teams routinely find players that start lots of games and they find the superstar from time to time. 

So Beane has done a decent job getting reliable if not great starters. Could be a lot worse but could be a lot better too.

I still think Knox can be a star if given the volume. 

Intrigued about Williams taken this year. I hope he gets some playing time. 

Just imagine how we would be evaluating Beane's draft history if they had taken WRONG Josh in 2018.   It would change the perspective of everything.  Beane may not even be GM here in that case, nor McD HC still.   We probably woulda had 2 more top 10 picks in the last few years though.  

Just now, Lost said:

Just imagine how we would be evaluating Beane's draft history if they had taken WRONG Josh in 2018.   It would change the perspective of everything.  Beane may not even be GM here in that case, nor McD HC still.   We probably woulda had 2 more top 10 picks in the last few years though.  

Without Allen he would probably be out of a job. How many GMs can survive giving up that much for a QB and have him fail? Will be interesting to see what happens with Lynch over the next couple years. If Purdy fails he is screwed. 

• Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What is the criteria this is based on?

Does it really matter?  Those who love to bash Beane for his drafting (Hi @Ethan in Cleveland) will say the criteria is b.s., and those who value Beane will say the criteria is spot-on.

The bottom line is that Beane is an overall top 5-10 GM in this league (at worst), and anyone who thinks he is holding the Bills back is an idiot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

The issue still remains though that if you subtract JA17 from the equation, both Beane and McD are no different that every other failed GM/HC that's come through Buffalo since 2000 and that's what a lot of Bills mafia doesn't seem to understand or want to acknowledge.

Haha I love these statements-“well if you take away all of the good picks that were made, you see there were bad picks”

You can literally do that with any good player still on the team that drafted them

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Haha I love these statements-“well if you take away all of the good picks that were made, you see there were bad picks”

You can literally do that with any good player still on the team that drafted them

I wouldn’t go that far. Think of it this way, without Josh this team has Tyrod Taylor at QB and not much of anything else. It’s four years ago all over again…but we did back into the playoffs and end the drought. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I wouldn’t go that far. Think of it this way, without Josh this team has Tyrod Taylor at QB and not much of anything else. It’s four years ago all over again…but we did back into the playoffs and end the drought. 

I just think the original point is a bit disingenuine. Sure you can say that about Josh, but the same can be said about KC and Mahomes, Jacksonville and Lawrence, Chargers and Herbert, etc.

if these teams didn’t pick a top QB they would all be struggling as well

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I just think the original point is a bit disingenuine. Sure you can say that about Josh, but the same can be said about KC and Mahomes, Jacksonville and Lawrence, Chargers and Herbert, etc.

if these teams didn’t pick a top QB they would all be struggling as well

That’s true as well….so we agree. It’s pretty much get the QB right and you’re a contender. But, you need to get a bunch of other guys right to be champion. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Most is an accurate statement. 

However 9% make All-Pro status and about 35% start all the games they are eligible for. These are general stats I saw from a few sites. 

So teams routinely find players that start lots of games and they find the superstar from time to time. 

So Beane has done a decent job getting reliable if not great starters. Could be a lot worse but could be a lot better too.

I still think Knox can be a star if given the volume. 

Intrigued about Williams taken this year. I hope he gets some playing time. 

But it's still the majority that do not start.

But yes, he's gotten good starters but does lack the elite....I can agree with that. 

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s a reason we’re a top 5 team consistently. We have great overall team depth and an elite QB/WR combo. 

Beane hasn’t drafted an impact player other than Allen. Allen being a QB cancels out a lot of problems. A lot of average. But a lot of average with elite QB creates a good team.

Bolded for emphasis, that’s literally the Brady blueprint. We just need to get the line play on offense sorted out and this team should be consistently good until Allen gets old. 

I know it wasn’t Beane’s work (allegedly) but the Bills 2017 draft was pretty elite, if you can forgive handing Pat Mahomes to KC…six picks, three pro bowlers and all six still in the league, although Peterman and Vallejo are hanging on by their fingernails. And we acquired a 2018 pick later used to trade up for Josh Allen and/or Tremaine Edmunds.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

FWIW, Brandon Beane’s Draft Picks other than Allen Listed as Starters to Open the Season

Gabe Davis, 2020, 4th Round

Cyress O’Torrence, 2023, 2nd Round

Spencer Brown, 2021, 3rd Round

Dawson Knox, 2019, 3rd Round

James Cook, 2022, 2nd Round

Greg Rousseau, 2021, 1st Round

Ed Oliver, 2019, 1st Round

Terrell Bernard, 2022, 3rd Round

Kaiir Elam, 2022, 1st Round

Taron Johnson, 2018, 4th Round

Tyler Bass, 2020, 6th Round

5 hours ago, eball said:

Does it really matter?  Those who love to bash Beane for his drafting (Hi @Ethan in Cleveland) will say the criteria is b.s., and those who value Beane will say the criteria is spot-on.

The bottom line is that Beane is an overall top 5-10 GM in this league (at worst), and anyone who thinks he is holding the Bills back is an idiot.

I agree Beane is a good GM. 

But, IMHO, any Bills fan calling fellow Bills fans idiots is being idiotic.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

Let’s just assume that Beane isn’t holding the Bills back, then who is? The coaches? The players? If it’s the players, why? Not enough talent? Or not executing schemes properly? Is that because of a lack of talent or not very good coaching? If it’s the players, then isn’t Beane ultimate responsible for bringing them on this team for McD to coach up? 

On 8/30/2023 at 9:31 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is he #2 in round 3? Love the Knox pick but he has not been that great(only good by Bills TE historical perspective). Moss was terrible.  Singletary just average. Phillips was not good but did get a second contract for the Vikings. Jury is still very much out on Brown. 

Wait until Bernard is out of the league next year and he will drop.

the third is an absolute mess for most. 

it’s either huge upside guys with massive red flags, good character guys that don’t actually have the skill or average dudes at below premium positions

knox, singletary and Harrison is a pretty decent group in there.

that he’s missing that badly in the second is a relatively big deal though. That’s a spot he should pull a few average starters and an occasional big impact player with some busts mixed in. 3rd and later is a crapshoot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree Beane is a good GM. 

But, IMHO, any Bills fan calling fellow Bills fans idiots is being idiotic.

You’re kidding, right?  I think most fans in general, of any team, are idiots.  It’s not a Bills thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/30/2023 at 4:37 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s a reason we’re a top 5 team consistently. We have great overall team depth and an elite QB/WR combo. 

Beane hasn’t drafted an impact player other than Allen. Allen being a QB cancels out a lot of problems. A lot of average. But a lot of average with elite QB creates a good team.

Who has Veach drafted as an impact player other than Mahomes

12 minutes ago, eball said:

You’re kidding, right?  I think most fans in general, of any team, are idiots.  It’s not a Bills thing.

Maybe ignorants is a better word. Bottom line is many are just emotional posters who don’t do much homework.

On 8/30/2023 at 9:31 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

How is he #2 in round 3? Love the Knox pick but he has not been that great(only good by Bills TE historical perspective). Moss was terrible.  Singletary just average. Phillips was not good but did get a second contract for the Vikings. Jury is still very much out on Brown. 

Wait until Bernard is out of the league next year and he will drop.

You need to do a little research into the success rates of draft rounds. It goes exponentially down every round.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.