Bills activate Matakevich from PUP

BuffaloBillyG

36 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

An incredible 4 phase special teamer, who will no doubt be the first person to the ball when they waive for a fair catch and get it at the 25.

Well if the Bills can play more games where opposition team is shut down he can come in as linebacker and be able to perform as he did previously.

The problem has been team has shot themselves in foot in offense (I call it the Plaxico Burress offense) or defense has been a sieve so he has not had many opportunities on the field.

How many plays has Matakevich actually had on defense during his Bills tenure?  Precious few, I'm pretty sure.  While the Bills love him as a special teamer, ultimately, it would be to the Bills' advantage if he could be replaced by a player who was great on special teams and at least a solid backup linebacker the Bills did not hesitate to use on defense.  At linebacker, Matt Milano is the one player that the Bills and fans feel really comfortable with.  It looks like Dodson is ahead at MLB.  After those two, Buffalo has Klein, Bernard, Williams, Matakevich, Spector and Travin Howard.  That's eight linebackers.  I don't think Buffalo keeps more than 6.  I think they keep Klein for his experience.  He's also listed as the starter at strong side linebacker at this point, though he's the third linebacker on the field, and the Bills go with 2 linebackers most of the time. I think Bernard and Spector are both likely to make the team.  We can write Travin Howard off.  That means the last spot is probably between Matakevich and Dorian Williams. If Dorian Williams is not a complete dud on special teams, and I don't think he is, I don't think there is any way he loses that battle.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

How many plays has Matakevich actually had on defense during his Bills tenure?  Precious few, I'm pretty sure.  While the Bills love him as a special teamer, ultimately, it would be to the Bills' advantage if he could be replaced by a player who was great on special teams and at least a solid backup linebacker the Bills did not hesitate to use on defense.  At linebacker, Matt Milano is the one player that the Bills and fans feel really comfortable with.  It looks like Dodson is ahead at MLB.  After those two, Buffalo has Klein, Bernard, Williams, Matakevich, Spector and Travin Howard.  That's eight linebackers.  I don't think Buffalo keeps more than 6.  I think they keep Klein for his experience.  He's also listed as the starter at strong side linebacker at this point, though he's the third linebacker on the field, and the Bills go with 2 linebackers most of the time. I think Bernard and Spector are both likely to make the team.  We can write Travin Howard off.  That means the last spot is probably between Matakevich and Dorian Williams. If Dorian Williams is not a complete dud on special teams, and I don't think he is, I don't think there is any way he loses that battle.

It will not come down to Matakevitch or Dorian Williams. Both will 100% be here. Either AJ Klein or Baylon Spector will be released.

Milano, Dodson, Bernard, Williams, and Matakevitch are locks. Leaving only one more spot as historically we only keep 5, 6 tops.

Like it or not, the Bills utilize bottom of position roster spots for core Special Teams players. And Matakevitch is our Special Teams captain, going into a year where we've lost or moved on from multiple core Teams players. 

They aren't going to release their Special Teams captain and they absolutely will not release a Day 2 pick from the same year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Its true.

But he has played , forgive me how many he and Klein have played.. limited , as in never going to be in coverage.

Both smart players.

The LB sitiation is not solved , and i am not sure what McD is doing here

19 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It will not come down to Matakevitch or Dorian Williams. Both will 100% be here. Either AJ Klein or Baylon Spector will be released.

Milano, Dodson, Bernard, Williams, and Matakevitch are locks. Leaving only one more spot as historically we only keep 5, 6 tops.

Like it or not, the Bills utilize bottom of position roster spots for core Special Teams players. And Matakevitch is our Special Teams captain, going into a year where we've lost or moved on from multiple core Teams players. 

They aren't going to release their Special Teams captain and they absolutely will not release a Day 2 pick from the same year.

So Klein ??
 he is the unsaid Co Coach for LBs i read once or twice

10 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Its true.

But he has played , forgive me how many he and Klein have played.. limited , as in never going to be in coverage.

Both smart players.

The LB sitiation is not solved , and i am not sure what McD is doing here

So Klein ??
 he is the unsaid Co Coach for LBs i read once or twice

My gut says Spector. I think he was up against it numbers wise when we Drafted another LB in the 3rd this year and re-signed Dodson (as well as Klein). And now with Bernard going down with a Hamstring injury, most likely taking him out of at least the Pre-Season, I think they're going to want Klein back there as a steadier backup to Dodson to start the season, over Spector. 

Spector got a chance to show what he could do with the 1's early in Training Camp. But since then, he's been delegated to 3rd or 4th squads and Klein saw the field before him in Pre-Season Game 1 (not to mention Klein being brought on last season and given reps over Spector while he was on the roster).

Depending on the severity of Bernard's hammy, it's possible he's put on PUP for the first 4 weeks to let it fully heal. If that happens, both Klein and Spector will probably make the 53 initially.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:38 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Right. I've always been one of those "the importance of good special teams is underrated" fans. Neglect them at your own risk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.