OT…All is not going well on South Beach

78thealltimegreat

On 8/9/2023 at 7:35 PM, Big Blitz said:

When Armstead isn’t on the field, they are a complete disaster.  

And since they have him in bubble wrap (is he even playing in these scrimmages?) it makes sense that they’d look bad. 

Expect to see this almost all year with him:

Wed    Thurs   Fri

Armstead, Terron      DNP    DNP     LP

23 hours ago, finn said:

I don't see it as worse, with Saffold, that walking disaster, gone. But I worry about Spencer Brown. If he's a liability again (or once again injured), the Bills willl need to keep Dawson Knox in, as they did last year. 

This will depend on whether the Bills have a capable swing OT to shore up Browns spot until he recovers.  Can't fault a player for a work related injury in any field.

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Dude, preseason depth charts are one step up from astrology.  Even regular season depth charts need to be taken with a salt shaker.

The Bills acknowledge that there are a bunch of active battles, including for RG.  This version of a preseason depth chart doesn't

Reading comprehension is a must.  PFF accurately reported he is not slated to start. /full stop. 100 percent accurate.  They also say that may change 

On 8/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, Matt_In_NH said:

Is it as bad as the bills o line?

/sarcasm

Even if it is, tua seems like he gets tunnel vision when the pocket breaks down and josh is the opposite.  

I’d take josh behind the bills oline over the dolphins and jets situations by a healthy margin.  Jets have a little more upside than the dolphins do though…if becton and brown can stay healthy they have a shot to be decent but the dolphins look like a pretty flawed group even with injuries turned off 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

There was one of these fake quotes  about Jalen Waddle and how there are penguins in Buffalo or something 

I was going to mention the fake Waddle "quote" about him wanting to play for Buffalo some day.  At least our fanbase's new method of trolling with fake quotes is more clever than Miami's "lulz we have more Super Bowls than you" that is about 90% of their trolling attempts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 5:32 PM, Lost said:

Not good for us either considering PFF has that unit ranked 2 spots higher than ours.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

Why is offensive line play so bad in general?

Is it that big talented athletes gravitate toward defense so there just isn't a pool of available talent? If so, shouldn't this be self-adjusting (for example, the Spencer Brown types bulking up and moving to the O line from defense or TE?) Do we need rule changes to reestablish some kind of balance?

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Is it that big talented athletes gravitate toward defense so there just isn't a pool of available talent? If so, shouldn't this be self-adjusting (for example, the Spencer Brown types bulking up and moving to the O line from defense or TE?) Do we need rule changes to reestablish some kind of balance?

I have always believed that in pass protection the advantage is to the guy making the moves to get around another guy.

It's always been that way.  In run blocking the OL has a bit of an advantage knowing what their job is going forward.

The passing game has enough advantage as it is IMO.  It's just the way it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My understanding based on reading/hearings things over the years: College football (and HS) went to spread offenses in the 2000s and quickly that offense became popular in the NFL. The spread offense is still popular in college with some adjustments and has success so players want to play on winning teams. The main thing there is to get people in space, even when they run the ball it is getting the O-line downfield. Therfore the priority is leaner faster players that can run on the O-line. This body style is what will get you recruited to top NCAA programs so that is the body type the top HS players go for. The big fat boys arent recruited as highly. The top programs feed into the NFL. The leaner, faster O-lineman arent as capable to just anchor and block, theyre trained to run more.

The flipside of this is the hulking neckroll downhill LB. That player isnt useful against a spread offense where you need lateral quickness so it went away and a Nickel DB is now a base defense.

Remember the days when we would argue about 3-4 or 4-3. Now we are only have 2 starting LBs.

Its all just long term trends.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jletha said:

My understanding based on reading/hearings things over the years: College football (and HS) went to spread offenses in the 2000s and quickly that offense became popular in the NFL. The spread offense is still popular in college with some adjustments and has success so players want to play on winning teams. The main thing there is to get people in space, even when they run the ball it is getting the O-line downfield. Therfore the priority is leaner faster players that can run on the O-line. This body style is what will get you recruited to top NCAA programs so that is the body type the top HS players go for. The big fat boys arent recruited as highly. The top programs feed into the NFL. The leaner, faster O-lineman arent as capable to just anchor and block, theyre trained to run more.

The flipside of this is the hulking neckroll downhill LB. That player isnt useful against a spread offense where you need lateral quickness so it went away and a Nickel DB is now a base defense.

Remember the days when we would argue about 3-4 or 4-3. Now we are only have 2 starting LBs.

Its all just long term trends.

The hashes being spaced differently also has a much bigger impact on the college game and how it transfers to the NFL than most people think.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, uninja said:

The hashes being spaced differently also has a much bigger impact on the college game and how it transfers to the NFL than most people think.

Yea theres much more space to run on the far side of the field. If you get a couple O-linemen out ahead of a fast QB/RB on a pull sweep concept they can really take off. Plus the QB play in college is generally worse so running becomes more efficient than running in the NFL.

51 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

How so? 

(I'm old enough to remember the NFL moving the hash marks, but I must be too old to remember why they did it)

I’m far too lazy to type it all out here and this article broadly explains it far better than I ever could 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/9/7/20851532/nfl-college-football-differences-hash-marks-defense-pressure

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.