Jordan Phillips, I’m glad we got him back.

Tipster19

I didn’t just want to use his name only for the title of this post but it’s true, I am glad that’s back, Lawson too. I saw in one of these posts where Phillips was being ridiculed about getting injured. If I’m not mistaken Phillips was injured chasing that idiot Mac Jones around at the end of the game. I appreciate his effort, going all out, unfortunately he got hurt. I like the way he plays for the Bills but more importantly I believe that him, and guys like him, is a true Bill. I think his attitude/mentality is quietly influencing that DL, not that any of these players aren’t already playing for the cause of the Bills it’s just that Phillips is vocal about how he feels playing for Buffalo. I guess was taken a back bit to feel like there is a good portion of Bills’ fans that exactly aren’t thrilled by him and/or his play. Correct me if I’m wrong about this. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Philips plays nasty, and that's the kind of guy I want to show up when we play a team like the Bengals or the Phins. Both those teams had hatred in them when they played us last season. Really bullied the Bills. Obviously the Phins still only managed to beat us because they played in a furnace but you could see how nasty they were on defense. I want to see our team, especially the defense, dish that out a little this season. Less finesse and more old school style nastiness

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7

Put him on the PUP list and sit out the first 6 games and let him get fully healthy and angry on the sidelines. All he does is produce for the Bills and he brings the Juice.he’s a leader.  He’s one my of favourite players. He’s an animal, a true dancing bear who is angry 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I like Jordan Phillips as a guy that we can slow play on PUP and bring him back 100% healthy.  

He could be a really nice rotational piece rushing the passer from the interior. 

Shaq, I’m not sold he makes the 53 if Von is ready to go.   I think Floyd, Rousseau and AJE are locks and if Von is active, that’s 4, with Boogie being a guy that has another cheap contract year on the books after this year .. if he’s at all serviceable I wonder if that comes into play. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I like Jordan Phillips as a guy that we can slow play on PUP and bring him back 100% healthy.  

He could be a really nice rotational piece rushing the passer from the interior. 

Shaq, I’m not sold he makes the 53 if Von is ready to go.   I think Floyd, Rousseau and AJE are locks and if Von is active, that’s 4, with Boogie being a guy that has another cheap contract year on the books after this year .. if he’s at all serviceable I wonder if that comes into play. 

I think if Shane Ray impresses and has a solid preseason Shaq might be the odd man out.

• Agree 2

At defensive tackle, it's obvious that Daquan Jones, Poona Ford and Ed Oliver are locks to make the roster.  After that, it gets interesting.  Tim Settle, like Phillips, didn't have the year that the Bills hoped.  I don't think the Bills have written either Phillips or Settle off.  The question is, how many defensive tackles do they keep?  If they keep four, then someone between Settle and Phillips is the odd man out.  In Phillips' favor is the fact that he's a true 3 tech despite his size (he looks more like a 1 tech).  Both Ford and Jones are one tech guys.  Settle is flexible but is probably more at home in the 1 tech spot.  If they keep five, there's no question, Settle and Philips are both safe (If my read is right).  The thing is, Buffalo has some defensive ends who can shift inside, especially on passing downs.  That flexibility would seem to suggest Buffalo is more likely to go with five DEs and 4 DTs.  Then again, I could be all wet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t just want to use his name only for the title of this post but it’s true, I am glad that’s back, Lawson too. I saw in one of these posts where Phillips was being ridiculed about getting injured. If I’m not mistaken Phillips was injured chasing that idiot Mac Jones around at the end of the game. I appreciate his effort, going all out, unfortunately he got hurt. I like the way he plays for the Bills but more importantly I believe that him, and guys like him, is a true Bill. I think his attitude/mentality is quietly influencing that DL, not that any of these players aren’t already playing for the cause of the Bills it’s just that Phillips is vocal about how he feels playing for Buffalo. I guess was taken a back bit to feel like there is a good portion of Bills’ fans that exactly aren’t thrilled by him and/or his play. Correct me if I’m wrong about this. Thanks.

Where were the DEs on that play? Aside from Phillips’ effort on that play, that’s what stood out to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Hopefully the Bills have learned their lesson about counting on a dark horse who "wins the preseason"

Regarding Ray, it seems like the days of the Bills putting all of their eggs in one basket (Shawne Merriman) are in the past.

1 hour ago, gordong said:

if he even makes the team....  I could see a world where he doesn't esp with the signing of Ford

Not the same position though, no?

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Where were the DEs on that play? Aside from Phillips’ effort on that play, that’s what stood out to me.

Probably making sure they didn't get hurt while the clock was running out with a two score lead. :bag:

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I think if Shane Ray impresses and has a solid preseason Shaq might be the odd man out.

that would be quite the long shot though

to the topic of phillips… good energy. Feels like a solid “glue” guy for the units attitude. That said, without a solid MLB behind him, his freelancing and pass rushing May either be reigned in or be more likely to be exploited. He’s one I’m curious to see this year. I like him but we might not be protecting his weaknesses to allow him to play to his strength… but we will see how we scheme that up

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I like Jordan and Shaq as well as role players.  Shaq was one of our leading tacklers last year and just sets the edge.  Jordan at times before his injury was penetrating more than Oliver.  Again pre injury.

They are not expensive and not everyone is going to be Von.

They will both always have a special place in my heart just because of this little gem...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The vid above displays what I dig most about Phillips (and Lawson, while we're at it): they bring a demonstrably competitive and physical juice/swagger that the Bills haven't seen a ton of elsewhere under McD. 

The Bills haven't lost a ton of games since this current "run" started in 2019, but when they have, more often than not they've gotten bullied, especially at the line of scrimmage. I'd like to think Phillips and Lawson are role-playing parts of the solution to that ailment, both on the field and on the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, wppete said:

In order for Shaq to be the odd man out they are going to need to feel like they have his skillset covered as a gap discipline, edge setting, DE. If they do, he will be gone because he adds limited value as a rusher. But he was on this team last year because AJE and Boogie are bad at the thing where Shaq excels. 

Has Shane Ray done anything yet in camp?

Ya I love the energy he brings and great contract and after leaving both him n Lawson wanted back 

6 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

They will both always have a special place in my heart just because of this little gem...

Great moment. First thing I thought of as well.  That was an awesome Thanksgiving 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

There's no question that Phillips has many positive traits. He works hard, plays injured (sometimes to his and the team's detriment) and is always a key guy to rev up the crowd. 

The issue that I see is outside his 9.5 sack season he's not been able to stay on the field both here and during his time in Arizona. I also think many see that season as a measure of what he brings to the table...and it's not. It's a complete outlier in a contract year. Outside of that one season he has 12 sacks in his career. Combine that with missing 20 games to injury the last 3 years. 

Yes, when he is out there he has made some plays. But he doesn't stay on the field and started off this camp in the trainers room. 

I do think if he's more in the 4th DT role and it saves him snaps that will help. But at 30 years old and $3M price tag, the Bills could have gone younger and cheaper at that spot and had a DT with a bit more upside. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In order for Shaq to be the odd man out they are going to need to feel like they have his skillset covered as a gap discipline, edge setting, DE. If they do, he will be gone because he adds limited value as a rusher. But he was on this team last year because AJE and Boogie are bad at the thing where Shaq excels. 

Has Shane Ray done anything yet in camp?

The Tweeters that Tweet Tweets have mentioned him a bunch as someone that is having a strong camp. Getting pressure and being in the right spots against the run. But as with all things Tweeted, of course, grain of salt rule applies.

He's one guy I'm looking to see if he brings the juice in the preseason games. I think he's got a possible path to the 53 if he shows he can play. Ultimately, would be a guy I could see ending up on the PS if he's cut and clears.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The Tweeters that Tweet Tweets have mentioned him a bunch as someone that is having a strong camp. Getting pressure and being in the right spots against the run. But as with all things Tweeted, of course, grain of salt rule applies.

He's one guy I'm looking to see if he brings the juice in the preseason games. I think he's got a possible path to the 53 if he shows he can play. Ultimately, would be a guy I could see ending up on the PS if he's cut and clears.

hes getting pressures against the #2's and #3's and not starters. He has not done anything significant though to think this highly of him.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

hes getting pressures against the #2's and #3's and not starters. He has not done anything significant though to think this highly of him.

What of significance is he going to accomplish in practice? He's winning his matchups (from what is being said) at a decent rate. I wouldn't say him being a potential PS stash candidate with a path to make the squad over a guy like Boogie is thinking highly. Especially to start the season of Vons still a week or more away from seeing the field.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What of significance is he going to accomplish in practice? He's winning his matchups (from what is being said) at a decent rate. I wouldn't say him being a potential PS stash candidate with a path to make the squad over a guy like Boogie is thinking highly. Especially to start the season of Vons still a week or more away from seeing the field.

IF they think he is good enough, they would have moved him up with the 1's for a while just to see. That never happened and the fact that he's with 2's and 3's speaks volumes on its own. That is the significant part of the whole thing.. I would hope we all trust where the coaches are playing him is significant in itself.

What has Torrence done significant? Nothing other than play with the starters...   or has the coaches seen enough on him that, that is where he belongs? 

Edited by PrimeTime101

10 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

IF they think he is good enough, they would have moved him up with the 1's for a while just to see. That never happened and the fact that he's with 2's and 3's speaks volumes on its own. That is the significant part of the whole thing.. I would hope we all trust where the coaches are playing him is significant in itself.

What has Torrence done significant? Nothing other than play with the starters...   or has the coaches seen enough on him that, that is where he belongs? 

I'm not saying the guy is a roster lock or the guy is going to start. I'm saying that if he shows out during the preseason games he's got a shot. Yes I trust the coaching staff. Same coaching staff that has given him a lot of praise. Some of it unprompted. That also speaks volumes on how they view the guy. 

The DE spot is going to be hard to crack. Floyd, Groot with likely AJE and Lawson is my bet. I believe we kept 5 last year? That leaves 1 spot and that's Von if he's good to go week 1. If not that opens something up short term for someone else. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Ray takes the spot with a strong showing in the preseason games. It'll get settled on the field for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

From what I've seen, the mentions dropped off when the pads came on. 

I'd love to see him start getting more mentions.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

From what I've seen, the mentions dropped off when the pads came on. 

I'd love to see him start getting more mentions.

Yup, and that is fair. That's why the actual games will be telling both in his production and how much he's on the field and when. This is the most recent mention I have seen...and says Ray looks good but fails to mention how. Pass rush? Run defense? Just a handsome fella? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Interesting. He has barely had a mention in my go to sources. Though I haven't been as all over the detail of camp this year.

Good to see he is healthy and the latest injury is behind him, he can be / is an important part of the defensive rotation, really hope he has the kick azs season we all hope to see. 

• Agree 1

I was one of the posters who made a joke about Phillips (actually an add-on to another joke).  That aside, I am a Phillips fan and like what he brings to the team.  The inside pash rush has been lacking and the season he had a couple of years ago was the best we've seen from an interior lineman in a long time and since.  If he can play to that level again, he's a bargain at his current contract price.  I don't know if he's still got that in him, but that's what camp is for and for the coaches to decide.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.