Josh Allen goes #1 overall to the Browns in a 2018 Redraft

StHustle

Josh being redrafted at #1 surprises nobody, but after seeing the visual below let me just say 🤮

nfl_2018_redraft_cr_16x9.jpg

Josh in a Browns jersey looks disturbing. Who knows where his career would be now if that unfortunate hypothetical event was an actual reality.

Anyhow, this is the first time in redraft history that the Bills pick would have been a consensus #1 overall. 

I do wonder where Tremaine Edmunds was pegged but my ESPN+ subscription was canceled earlier this year after the football season (still debating on renewing for this season). If anyone still has ESPN+, please share where they redrafted Edmunds. Im pretty sure none of our other picks fell in the first 2 rounds.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38074494/re-drafting-2018-nfl-draft-josh-allen-lamar-jackson-fred-warner-new-teams

• Vomit 1

And? So goes every really good QB to the first pick team in a redraft, how is this even a thing???

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Josh being redrafted at #1 surprises nobody, but after seeing the visual below let me just say 🤮

nfl_2018_redraft_cr_16x9.jpg

Josh in a Browns jersey looks disturbing. Who knows where his career would be now if that unfortunate hypothetical event was an actual reality.

Anyhow, this is the first time in redraft history that the Bills pick would have been a consensus #1 overall. 

I do wonder where Tremaine Edmunds was pegged but my ESPN+ subscription was canceled earlier this year after the football season (still debating on renewing for this season). If anyone still has ESPN+, please share where they redrafted Edmunds. Im pretty sure none of our other picks fell in the first 2 rounds.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38074494/re-drafting-2018-nfl-draft-josh-allen-lamar-jackson-fred-warner-new-teams

I was gonna say 1985 with Bruce but Rice was also drafted there. I guess it’s debatable. Many people will say Rice may be the best football player ever regardless of position. Bruce was arguably the best defender ever. 

Getting Allen & Edmunds in the 1st was arguably the greatest draft in Bills history especially w/ all the wheeling & dealing involved in moving up to acquire those picks. The Allen pick alone was masterful when pretty much the whole NFL knew the Bills were gonna get a QB. Crazy to think that the biggest project guys (Lamar Jackson & Allen) turned out to be the best out of all of them. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, mrags said:

I was gonna say 1985 with Bruce but Rice was also drafted there. I guess it’s debatable. Many people will say Rice may be the best football player ever regardless of position. Bruce was arguably the best defender ever. 

I love Bruce, but I’m taking Jerry Rice #1 over any other non-QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

22 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Edmunds - Pick 26

Wyatt Teller - Pick 28

That whole Wyatt Teller thing still boils my blood. Beane has done a mostly masterful job outside that move so I try not to think about it. I’ll think about it even less when we can finally put a competent Oline together 

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Edmunds - Pick 26

Wyatt Teller - Pick 28

who did they have the Bills selecting?

Just now, StHustle said:

That whole Wyatt Teller thing still boils my blood. Beane has done a mostly masterful job outside that move so I try not to think about it. I’ll think about it even less when we can finally put a competent Oline together 

Bills picks 

12- Bradley Chubb

22 - Harold Landry

53- Marquez Valdez-Scantling

56- Austin Corbett

• Vomit 5
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Bills picks 

12- Bradley Chubb

22 - Harold Landry

53- Marquez Valdez-Scantling

56- Austin Corbett

Man, what a disaster that would’ve been if they had traded the Mahomes pick the year before, then missed out on Allen. Very thankful that didn’t happen!

It still kind of hurts knowing we traded that Mahomes pick to Kansas City though. Had he gone to New Orleans at #11 i’m sure I’d feel different. But handing Andy Reid the final piece to his dynasty and knowing we have to go through them every year in the playoffs still stings if I’m being honest, at least until we are able to get past them (and Cincy too). But having Josh Allen sure makes up for it!

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Can someone post what they wrote about Allen going #1? I can’t read it. It’s behind a paywall.

1. Cleveland Browns

Original pick: Baker Mayfield, QB
Reid's new pick: Josh Allen, QB

It was widely known that the Browns would select a quarterback at the top of the 2018 draft, but which one they would select remained a mystery until NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the team was on the clock. Cleveland originally selected Mayfield, but we right its wrong in this re-draft and selected the best QB of the class in Allen. He leads all 2018 signal-callers in career passing yards (18,397), and his 65 QBR since his rookie season ranks fourth among all NFL quarterbacks. (Mayfield is now on his fourth team, and his 61.4% completion percentage since being drafted is 39th in the league.)

And our 2 picks...

12. Buffalo Bills (from CIN)

Original pick: Vita Vea, DT (TB traded down)
Miller's new pick: Bradley Chubb, LB

Sorry, Buffalo, you don't get Josh Allen in this re-draft. But you're still walking away with a cornerstone player in Chubb. The Bills' pass rush has been a glaring issue since coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane took over, and the 6-foot-4, 275-pound Chubb has 28.5 career sacks. He would immediately boost the unit.

22. Buffalo Bills (from KC)

Original pick: Rashaan Evans, LB (TEN traded up)
Miller's new pick: Harold Landry III, LB

We had the Bills grab a powerful pass-rusher in Bradley Chubb at No. 12 overall, and they now have a chance to build a superstar group with stand-up pass-rusher Landry on the other side. His 31 career sacks and ability to play in space fit as both a need and great value at this spot with no top quarterbacks or cornerbacks left on the board.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Getting Allen & Edmunds in the 1st was arguably the greatest draft in Bills history especially w/ all the wheeling & dealing involved in moving up to acquire those picks. The Allen pick alone was masterful when pretty much the whole NFL knew the Bills were gonna get a QB. Crazy to think that the biggest project guys (Lamar Jackson & Allen) turned out to be the best out of all of them. 

Great 1st round then adding Harrison Phillips, Taron Johnson & Wyatt Teller to the mix later in the draft. This was a really good draft by Beane and company.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Honestly, I think you could make the argument that the Bills would have been in a SB by now if we kept Teller, which sucks.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Beane merely made the trade once they determined he wasn't working out.  Blame the coaches for failing to see his potential.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Jerry Rice may be a GOAT, but our Bills had pretty good WRs through that time.

The subtraction of Bruce is a bigger loss to the team than what they would gain in Rice, imo.

Smith goes #1 in a re-draft. At least in my world.

Yeah, like Andre in round 4 of that draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

I would have been making fun of the Browns. I was wrong about Allen. It made me face the cold hard realization that I am just not cut out to be a GM in the NFL…Well maybe the Texans would hire me.

I was wrong about Allen too, but I don’t think missing on the pick means you’re not cut out to be an NFL GM. Those guys have hours and hours of footage, interviews, and classroom access, and STILL get picks wrong. There’s a bit of luck involved.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

I was wrong about Allen too, but I don’t think missing on the pick means you’re not cut out to be an NFL GM. Those guys have hours and hours of footage, interviews, and classroom access, and STILL get picks wrong. There’s a bit of luck involved.

Look at the 1998 draft as an example. At the time both Manning and Leaf were considered can't miss prospects. Worked out very well for the Colts. The Chargers not so much.

• Agree 1

I vividly remember that the rumor leading into draft day was that the Browns DID plan to take Josh Allen at 1st overall.

Everyone made fun of it and said "Browns are gonna Browns", and their fans were apoplectic. 

The rumor is that the personnel department all liked Allen best, but John Dorsey, the GM at the time, preferred Mayfield, and picked him instead.

Crazy what a crossroads moment drafts can turn out to be for NFL franchises.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Can someone post what they wrote about Allen going #1? I can’t read it. It’s behind a paywall.

Here is the statement in the form of a rhyming poem:

The Browns were on the clock,

And they had to make a pick.

They could have taken Mayfield,

But they knew that would be a sick.

So they took Josh Allen,

And he's been a great success.

He's led the league in passing yards,

And his QBR is off the charts.

Mayfield, on the other hand,

Has been a bit of a bust.

He's been on four teams,

And his completion percentage is a must.

So if we could go back in time,

We'd right the Browns' wrong.

We'd take Josh Allen,

And let Mayfield be someone else's song.

The best QB of the class,

He's led the Bills to the playoffs.

He's got a bright future ahead,

While Mayfield's days in the NFL are numbered.

So let's all raise a glass,

To Josh Allen, the best of the class.

May he continue to succeed,

And make the Browns regret their pick.

This is literally a copy and paste to AI to rewrite it to avoid copyright 

Edited by boyst

Do we even know if the bills had Josh as their #1 qb?  I often wonder if they like mayfield or darnold better (or maybe even both)

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I vividly remember that the rumor leading into draft day was that the Browns DID plan to take Josh Allen at 1st overall.

Everyone made fun of it and said "Browns are gonna Browns", and their fans were apoplectic. 

The rumor is that the personnel department all liked Allen best, but John Dorsey, the GM at the time, preferred Mayfield, and picked him instead.

Crazy what a crossroads moment drafts can turn out to be for NFL franchises.

I remember thinking mayfield was good just not good enough.  But it makes you wonder how careers would be different under different coaching.  Allen is very lucky he landed under Daboll imo 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.