Hot Diggity!

Beck Water

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Definitely more than that, I am not saying Diggs is blameless here

I'm just saying there was a very easy way of keeping this in house and it was completely available to McDermott

I don't think anyone would argue against that.  But I also think that everyone - head coaches included - does not always choose the best language in front of a hot mike 100% of the time. 

There are words McDermott could have used in other press conferences that would have raised less controversy here and elsewhere as well.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

it's literally the topic of conversation, so not sure why you feel the need to involve yourself if it's not of interest to you

Topic was Diggs explaining, answering questions about the situation.

You took this to the level of placing blame on Coach, again why is it his fault you reacted the way you did?

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

A family matter is raiding the kitchen liquor cabinet then filling the bottles with water.

Give me a break.

Bernie? Is that you? 

After a while I didn’t want any more water from his parents vodka bottle. 

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

You took this to the level of placing blame on Coach, again why is it his fault you reacted the way you did?

because he said the situation was quote very concerning unquote

so i got very concerned

imagine that

9 minutes ago, arcane said:

We need to remember that the question to Sean was phrased in such a manner as to assert there was definitely a level of concern. "How concerned are you a player is missing from minicamp?" Sean is fresh off a high-emotion discussion, his options to answer are basically "very" and "a little" and "not," the only one that wouldn't have caused a shitstorm was also not true.

Just a little point that McDermott had options other than very, a little , or not.  He could have re-framed the question, or answered a different question, or made it general as he tried to do in a later press conference "I'm always concerned when one of our players isn't practicing, but we're hoping to get him out tomorrow, we'll see how that goes".

It wasn't McDermott's best press moment to answer as he did, I don't think that's debatable.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

It’s just what some people do. Everything always comes back to their pet peeves. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

John Wawrow:

🤦‍♂️

(that's the exchange that led to Diggs saying to Wawrow "Just ask the question, please.  Thank you."

Diggs in that screenshot:

math-zack-galifianakis.gif

Like WTF is going on, what the hell is this guy trying to say.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He said the EXACT SAME THINGS on the Rich Eisen shown in January. 

He was angry then that the Bills lost again in the Playoffs, and this time they were embarrassed. 

Talked then about how it was eating at him that they couldn't win the big one. 

Angry at the whole thing, the first AFCCG, 13-seconds, the offense sputtering down the stretch, the lack of any urgency on the team's part in January. 

No doubt.  And he essentially said as much.  

“I have more years behind me then in front…”

I’ll add since it was June and I find it hard to believe no one talked to him since to address Cincy, that he wanted to know why we haven’t signed D-Hop.  Just my opinion.    

Wants to win now obviously.  Kobe Bryant compete level.   

Only thing that changed on the chess board right before friggin OTAs was Nuke was out there.    

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

because he said the situation was quote very concerning unquote

so i got very concerned

imagine that

Simplistic way of looking at what was said/cherry picking words.  

McD was specifically asked if he had any concerns, and said he's concerned anytime "any player" misses practice. It was coach speak 101, I guess that went over your head.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just a little point that McDermott had options other than very, a little , or not.  He could have re-framed the question, or answered a different question, or made it general as he tried to do in a later press conference "I'm always concerned when one of our players isn't practicing, but we're hoping to get him out tomorrow, we'll see how that goes".

It wasn't McDermott's best press moment to answer as he did, I don't think that's debatable.

I guess I agree with your last statement, but I believe it's beyond neurotic to take the meaning out of this that so many people did. He is rapid-fire answering media questions, the millionth ones he's received in his time here

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

after this my read is diggs said some things that mcdermott took offense to, sent him home, and then went in front of the media and lost his head w the 'very concerned' line

bad look

Ya my take is diggs called out coaches and McD . Wanted accountability- something McD preaches. And he didn’t like it. If they don’t win the Super Bowl. Gotta get McD outta here - find a new hot offensive genius - hopefully Dorsey is it 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Mike Schopp can spin this for a week trying to figure out what Diggs was mad about. 

(the same thing he was mad about 6-months ago, losing in the Playoffs). 

Shocker!

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

John Wawrow:

🤦‍♂️

(that's the exchange that led to Diggs saying to Wawrow "Just ask the question, please.  Thank you."

JUST SPIT IT OUT John. 

It's like story time with that guy, guitar by the camp fire telling stories. 

Always a preamble. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Simplistic way of looking at what was said/cherry picking words.  

McD was specifically asked if he had any concerns, and said he's concerned anytime "any player" misses practice. It was coach speak 101, I guess that went over your head.

look we don't need to relitigate this but you are wrong

Here's exactly what he said- it's in reference to Diggs specifically

not really the kind of conversation likely to go over someone's head imo

anyway

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

His press conference was very refreshing.  Diggs was genuine and very straightforward and honest in his interactions with the press.  He's been painted in a negative light with people making all kinds of inferences.   It was a non-issue really.  He hated the way the Bills lost last year to Cinci and, because McD has an open door policy, he wanted to talk about it.  That's all it was.  He said it is now "water under the bridge."

This-  very refreshing.  He was flawless.  Mcdermott should take notes 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is exactly what he shouldve said, and what I believe he meant to say, but boy did he miss the mark. And that short answer is exactly what caused the media and our own chicken littles to blow up.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

look we don't need to relitigate this but you are wrong

Here's exactly what he said- it's in reference to Diggs specifically

not really the kind of conversation likely to go over someone's head imo

anyway

Can I say that you're both right, just in different pressers?

@GoBills808 is correct that prior to Day 1 of minicamp, McDermott was asked how concerned he was that Diggs wasn't at minicamp, and he replied "Very" - touching off a media storm and eliciting clarification from Digg's agent Adisa Bakari that Diggs reported, underwent physical, etc

@MasterStrategist is correct that at a later, "extra" press conference to address Diggs, McDermott  "said he's concerned anytime "any player" misses practice

But they weren't the same presser, and the earlier one did not answer generally or mention "any player".  So I guess that makes @GoBills808 more right.  On this point.  (Don't let it go to your head, Oh Defender of Lettuce)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

John Wawrow sound like big dummy. 

I never really thought the situation was that serious to begin with. Diggs is known to be an emotional guy and he was fired up over a bad loss. Stuff happens. Kinda also just this day and age of instant information where things said get magnified and overanalyzed. 

So, Josh leads with "it's not football related" when the story broke of Diggs leaving OTA's or getting sent home. Diggs ends it with "family matters". Big brother got on little brother's ass and told him he needed to grow up. Something tells me, we will see a more mature Josh Allen this season. He got a little full of himself and his popularity. It can happen to anyone. IMO, Diggs called him out for more than just his play in the Cincy game. We need you. Stay away from female bartenders who aren't your girlfriend. It's a baby mama trap. 

I believe Josh when he says it's not football related.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 3

sounds like McD was genuinely shaken by that conversation with Diggs.    makes sense with how McD responded that day to the media.   

ive had zero issue with Diggs his entire tenure here.   he balls out as hard as he can 24/7.   hes a team leader,   does the dirty work,  and gives a sh!t.   the Bengals playoff loss was so friggen terrible that i felt the same way Diggs apparently did at the time.   

i said it back when it happened,  least it seemed like he cared while the rest of the team looked like they could care less.   cant fault the guy for wanting to win and possibly questioning wtf is happening with the organization.

ill take a guy who is legit passionate about winning,  shows his emotions a bit, over somebody whos just going through the motions to collect his paycheck waiting on the offseason to come.  if he becomes a locker room cancer,  then you show him the door.   highly doubt it comes to that,  Diggs isnt that kind of guy imo.

• Like (+1) 4

One thing that struck me during that press conference was how many times Diggs mentions being frustrated. He also commented on how Allen can be very hard on himself. It got me wondering if that kind of stuff is taking them off their game at times. Maybe trying too hard and adding extra pressure on themselves.

I don't know, just a thought. But If that kind of stuff is creeping in, they just need to let it go and play their game. 

11 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

One thing that struck me during that press conference was how many times Diggs mentions being frustrated. He also commented on how Allen can be very hard on himself. It got me wondering if that kind of stuff is taking them off their game at times. Maybe trying too hard and adding extra pressure on themselves.

I don't know, just a thought. But If that kind of stuff is creeping in, they just need to let it go and play their game. 

Thought the same thing.  

And this was said about Josh before on getting too down - I believe there was a clip of Lee Smith saying something to him on the sidelines along those lines.  You get up when you’re up but you can’t go the opposite way when things aren’t going right.  

Like tries to do too much.  

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Dopey said:

So, Josh leads with "it's not football related" when the story broke of Diggs leaving OTA's or getting sent home. Diggs ends it with "family matters". Big brother got on little brother's ass and told him he needed to grow up. Something tells me, we will see a more mature Josh Allen this season. He got a little full of himself and his popularity. It can happen to anyone. IMO, Diggs called him out for more than just his play in the Cincy game. We need you. Stay away from female bartenders who aren't your girlfriend. It's a baby mama trap. 

I believe Josh when he says it's not football related.

There’s another possibility that McDermott/Allen thought they would put Diggs “in his place” after him showing up Josh with his arms raised in that Bengals game.  It just happened to be the first time they saw each other since Diggs wasn’t at voluntary OTA’s.  It backfired and they realized they effed up.  Just throwing it out their because we’ll never truly know exactly what happened.

• Like (+1) 1

Schoop or the Bulldog (don't listen enough to know which one it was) sounded  pissed off about what Diggs said today. Was disappointed that the press didn't press more.  Only heard a few seconds while driving. That was enough for me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JJGauna said:

I do believe this is truly water under the bridge, for now. It’s time to win a damn Super Bowl!

I think it's water under the bridge if the season goes well. I am not however convinced Diggs will respond well to an extended period of adversity and especially not to another early playoff loss. Nothing he said today makes me feel differently about that worry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

John Wawrow:

🤦‍♂️

Hey I’ll have you know John Warrow was valedictorian of The Ellis Lankster School for Public Oration.

So basically, Stefon Diggs is frustrated that he's getting older and the Bills haven't figured out how to get over the hump in the playoffs.  Completely understandable.  That's exactly how I feel as a fan on the sidelines.

Not sure exactly what was said at the meeting with Beane/McDermott, but for some reason the head coach believed that Diggs needed a day to cool-off and dismissed him from OTA practice.  He then used a poor choice of words at the press conference to explain the absence, and the story blew up way bigger than it should have.

The media had plenty of reason to pursue this story.  But the rampant speculation that many "reporters" dished out... about Diggs being upset with the quarterback, wanting input in the playbook, demanding we sign DeAndre Hopkins, etc., etc., etc.  Those guys should be ashamed of themselves and resign from their jobs.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think it's water under the bridge if the season goes well. I am not however convinced Diggs will respond well to an extended period of adversity and especially not to another early playoff loss. Nothing he said today makes me feel differently about that worry.

And why do you just assume there will be another early playoff loss?  I myself am looking forward to an undefeated season.  There may be a hiccup or 2 along the way and they might lose a close game but until the final whistle I'll always expect the Bilks to win their games.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I think all of us fans can understand exactly where he's coming from.

The stuff that gets under people's skin are the cryptic social media posts & letting speculation brew far too long. Everyone appreciates keeping it in house, but when you post the cryptic messages for millions to see, it inevitably leads to people making their own assumptions.

That just opens the door for teammates & coaches to take on additional heat, and staying silent (or amplifying it with more Tweets) for months, doesn't exactly scream "keeping it in house." 

Anyway, still love the guy, still glad he's a Bill, and still support him 100%

Stefon's frustrations over the way these last 2 seasons ended would be no different than my own (minus the cryptic tweets). We had more than enough talent to win at least 1 SB.  21 ended with terrible coaching. 22 ended with an emotionally exhausted team.  This first window is not staying open forever.

• Like (+1) 3

Diggs wants a Super Bowl ring, badly. He hates losing. Nothing wrong with that. 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Stefon's frustrations over the way these last 2 seasons ended would be no different than my own (minus the cryptic tweets). We had more than enough talent to win at least 1 SB.  21 ended with terrible coaching. 22 ended with an emotionally exhausted team.  This first window is not staying open forever.

Why do people say that Mahomes could win many more Super Bowls, and that the Bills window is closing? As long as they have Josh Allen, the window is open.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I’m guessing most fans, myself included, won’t respond well to those events either. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.