Hines out for the year

17islongenough

Hines not perfect fielding kicks. Muffed a punt vs. Dolphins. Dodson recovered for Bills. Misjudged another punt and was fortunate to catch it as it hit him in the face mask as he was falling backwards around the 5. Unable to field a bouncing kickoff...fortunately it tumbled into end zone and he downed it there.

• Eyeroll 1

I never thought Hines was that good when he played for the Buffalo Bills last season. Just release him and move on with another football player. Because obviously this kid was too dumb to win with. To be water skiing when he is a professional football player is reckless and stupid you can’t win with someone like that. He shouldn’t be doing risky stuff like that under contract to the Buffalo Bills. Cut him and use him as a example for the other Bills players to be serious about your career get your stuff together or get out in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by I am leaving for good
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So the TB% was 59.7% in the NFL last season per pro-football reference

1013 returns, out of 2698 kickoffs, 37.5% kickoffs returned so (?) 2.8% fair catch?

Is the new rule that a fair catch anywhere comes out to the 25 yd line?  If so I would think the NFL would be trying to increase the number of fair catches

Your math looks good to me and yes the intention is to have more fair catches.  But I dont think its as simple as no more KR ever again (not saying you said that, but someone else did).  If fair catch goes up 5% then 1/3 kickoffs is a return.   Thats still quite a few to the point where I would say its hyperbolic to say it doesnt matter (agian not you saying that).  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I never thought Hines was that good when he played for the Buffalo Bills last season. Just release him and move on with another football player. Because obviously this kid was too dumb to win with. To be water skiing when he is a professional football player is reckless and stupid you can’t win with someone like that. He shouldn’t be doing risky stuff like that under contract to the Buffalo Bills. Cut him and use him as a example for the other Bills players to be serious about your career get your stuff together or get out in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I mean jeeze - the guy rode a jetski?  Whats next, a car? a bicycle?  

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Number of returns by guys on the roster...

KR

Harty - 75

Hyde - 37

Murray - 19

Sherfield - 1

Shakir - 1

Diggs - 1

Poyer - 1

PR

Hyde - 95

Harty - 77

Poyer - 17

Diggs - 6

Shakir - 3

Looks like Harty should be the guy. I don't like Hyde doing returns. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

great you’re still here. 

they can’t release him by the way. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I never thought Hines was that good when he played for the Buffalo Bills last season. Just release him and move on with another football player. Because obviously this kid was too dumb to win with. To be water skiing when he is a professional football player is reckless and stupid you can’t win with someone like that. He shouldn’t be doing risky stuff like that under contract to the Buffalo Bills. Cut him and use him as an example for the other Bills players to be serious about your career get your stuff together or get out in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

How will the hell do you have over 400 posts and post like this and I’ve never seen you before

• Agree 2

Has the importance of returns changed in todays NFL? Obviously yes. Return leaders last season vs 10 years prior.

2022 Touchback % - 14 Kickers >70% (leader was 90%)

2022 Touchback % - 0 Kickers >70% (leader was 67%)

2022 Leader in Kick Return Yards - 1,009 (only 1 player with 1,000+)

2012 Leader in Kick Return Yards - 1,533 (8 players with 1,000+)

2022 Leader in Kick Returns - 35 (only 2 players with >30)

2012 Leader in Kick Returns - 57 (11 players with >30)

2022 Leader in Punt Return Yards - 362 (only 2 players with 350+)

2012 Leader in Punt Return Yards - 481 (7 players with 350+)

2022 Leader in Punt Returns - 40 (only 1 players >35)

2012 Leader in Punt Returns - 51 (6 players with >35)

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

You can't have a starter doing KR/PR so it looks like Harty is the guy

19 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Looks like Harty should be the guy. I don't like Hyde doing returns. 

Harty makes the most sense. Only other options Shakir and potentially Murray on KO's. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How do you tear your acl sitting on a jet ski?

I’m thinking standing with one leg on each side of the seat, then a jet ski smashed into the side of his knee, much like a hard lower body tackle, but with more speed, mass and power. 

*shiver*

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

Do most contracts remain valid for non-football injuries? 

My total guess would be many are not if it involves activities outside of day-to-day living. I would hope that if a player gets injured outside of football and if the activity was not a "normal" activity and had any element of risk the team would not be paying the salary — then it should be a case for insurance and/or a lawsuit.

Don't get me wrong: I think HInes should make his money this year; I just don't want it to count against the Bills cap. And I do wish the guy a full and speedy recover and hope he can get another decent NFL contract before he retires.

Generally there is specific contractual language regarding risky activities. I believe that it is used as more of a deterrent than an effective way of recouping cash (and cap space) however. Not to say that teams can’t enforce those clauses if they choose.

I remember when Terrell Suggs tore his achilles playing pick up hoops. Then his story changed to “during conditioning drills”. The Ravens just ate it without a fight. It’s very bad PR to go after players for stuff that happens in every day life. If the Bills were to go after Hines for money in this case, then it would impact future contracts and FA signing. No bueno. They’re not stupid so they’ll just deal with it. But I doubt you’ll see a lot of NFL players skiing or parachuting. 

On a personal note, I was tobogganing in the Cleveland area in 2009. Alex Boone was next to me on the hill. He’d just been drafted by the 49ers and I heard him comment on what his coach would think of it. Not sure how that would’ve worked out for him if he’d gotten hurt that day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I just feel bad for HInes.  This doesn't hurt the team in any significant way. I agree w/ a few others that Hines was probably on the fringe of the roster as it is.

I dont disagree the impact will not be a big deal however, I really dont think he was "on the fringe".  They could have made him a cap casualty and had 0 dead cap......they decided to give him a new deal with some guaranteeds but an overall less cap hit than the deal he was on.  If they had waived him, I doubt he would have got what the Bills gave him.   I would not say it is impossible for him to have not made the team but he was a pretty good favorite to stick.....not "fringe"

NFL Salary Cap Changes 

A few common sense rules that should change. 1) Players on the IR should not count vs the cap. If they played a portion of the season prorate the cap it by games before going on IR. Obviously NFL will need to make sure teams dont abuse the rule. 2) Retired players should be the same as IR players. Same goes for monitoring for abuse. 

Changes I would like to see. The salary of drafted players do not have a cap, only free agents. If you draft well and run a good franchise you keep your guys. Draft crappy you will need to spend and could run into cap issues. Will have less player movement, so NFL will never go for it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I just feel bad for HInes.  This doesn't hurt the team in any significant way. I agree w/ a few others that Hines was probably on the fringe of the roster as it is.

I dont disagree the impact will not be a big deal however, I really dont think he was "on the fringe".  They could have made him a cap casualty and had 0 dead cap......they decided to give him a new deal with some guaranteeds but an overall less cap hit than the deal he was on.  If they had waived him, I doubt he would have got what the Bills gave him.   I would not say it is impossible for him to have not made the team but he was a pretty good favorite to stick.....not "fringe"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, I am leaving for good said:

Seriously you should abide by your screen name and..........just leave.

WTAF....he was jet skiing NOT water skiing.  HUGE difference.  Yup.  Just get a grip and please LEAVE FOR GOOD already!!!

SMFH.....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

Bad break.  Jet skis are fun.

I am hoping it doesn't turn out that the other operator was a Bills' player.

I heard it was Belichick. Apparently he's still pissed about Hines' 2 kickoff return game against him. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Apparently, the report said Hines was “sitting stationary” on a Jet Ski when another rider struck him and he sustained serious, but not life-threatening injuries that will require surgery and force him to miss the entire upcoming campaign.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/nyheim-hines-suffers-freak-injury-in-jet-ski-accident/

Probably some drunken bum. Bills Mafia should clean this situation up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.