Hines out for the year

17islongenough

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Deonte Harty is just as electric, however, with a higher variance of ball security issues.   I’d suspect he now focuses on KR/PR .. which may also define passing roles a bit more, with Kincaid/Slot WR also being a bit murky. 

People in this thread are saying this, but it's not quite what the stats record.

Can you explain?

1 hour ago, T&C said:

He will.

Sal Capaccio 🏈
@SalSports
Other than the $340K in game-roster bonuses, Hines $3.5M cap hit will still count for 2023. So still looking at $3.16M.

I wonder where Sal is getting his information, because that's not what Spotrac shows (unless the Bills choose to pay it).

Spotrac says that $2M of Hines salary is guaranteed ($1M signing bonus plus $1M 2023 salary)

Just now, LabattBlue said:

It seemed to be a trade where the GM and coaches were not on the same page.  Hines was a very good 3rd down back in Indy. Here…relegated to kick returner. 

IMO…not a great loss. 

That entire situation last year was bizarre.  Attempt to sign McKissic, sign Duke Johnson, rumored to be in on McCaffery, draft Cook, trade for Hines...

A very obvious attempt to stock the team with pass catching backs only to never throw to the backs!

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

People in this thread are saying this, but it's not quite what the stats record.

Can you explain?

This is from the Syracuse.com write up on Harty..

“Harty has played 554 offensive snaps and 354 special teams snaps over the course of his three seasons. Five of his nine career fumbles have been muffed punts and the other four all happened on special teams. He’s never fumbled the ball on offense.”

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

“Harty has played 554 offensive snaps and 354 special teams snaps over the course of his three seasons. Five of his nine career fumbles have been muffed punts and the other four all happened on special teams. He’s never fumbled the ball on offense.”

OK, but (for example) Andre Roberts is not referred to as a "fumbling machine" or a fumble risk.  In the same period of time as Harty, he had 8 fumbles (all on ST I believe).   Similar with Ray-ray McCloud, who has developed into a top PR/KR the last several years.  He does play more WR especially in 2021, so some may be offensive, but he had 11 fumbles in the same time period.  Is he referred to as a "fumbling machine"?

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think he was selected as a first-team all-pro because "he's been a fumble machine" in the return game.

Looking at stats, he had 3, 3, and 2 fumbles (1 lost each season). 

What are you seeing or what have you heard beyond the stats? 

He has 1 less fumble than Mckenzie with several less touches.  Fumbles lost and fumbles not lost- no matter.  In terms of a games outcome- there’s a difference.  In terms of ball security- they are the same.  A 50% chance that we lose the possession.  

I’m on record as being one of his biggest fans- loved the signing.  I just don’t know if I want him being our return guy.  He’s beyond electric and could be an all pro return man again.  He just worries me

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Exactly what you don't want in a punt returner.  150 kick and punt returns, 9 muffs and fumbles.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.