Hines out for the year

17islongenough

Don't the new rules in the KO game lessen even further the need for a "dynamic" return game?

Sucks for Hines...particularly since he was doing nothing wrong and some moron hit him.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He has 1 less fumble than Mckenzie with several less touches.  Fumbles lost and fumbles not lost- no matter.  In terms of a games outcome- there’s a difference.  In terms of ball security- they are the same.  A 50% chance that we lose the possession.  

I’m on record as being one of his biggest fans- loved the signing.  I just don’t know if I want him being our return guy.  He’s beyond electric and could be an all pro return man again.  He just worries me

I'm with you.  McKenzie always was a problem back there.   Give me Hyde fair catching every ball and put the offense on the field.  Actually, I don't want to risk him back there.  For my money, right now, it's Shakir with very strict instructions.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Don't the new rules in the KO game lessen even further the need for a "dynamic" return game?

Sucks for Hines...particularly since he was doing nothing wrong and some moron hit him.

I dont think so.  Punts are unchanged and I think I heard Joe Marino said NCAA saw a ~5% increase in touchbacks when they did this rule and thats the goal of the NFL.  I think you would still see a return ~50% of the time.  Additionally if teams are dropping coverage players (cause they think KRs dont matter) a really good return unit could take advantage. 

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Well that sucks.  Looks like Harty is probably going to be the returner now unless someone else steps up.

I’d actually lean towards Shakir being the returner, he was awesome in College. He’s plenty fast enough (4.42) and his open field moves are nuts.  I’d expect this to have more impact on the WRs than RB room per se.  

It does however mean, the RB room just got a little thin for comfort.  Harris has an injury history, Cook has never been a 1 and Murray is really a guy you want as a back up.  Not saying it should change the plans, but I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a nudge to go after a better bell cow type. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been on jet skis before. In a lot of cases there is a group of people on them with some sort of horse play going on. 

Unless there is video showing otherwise, I’d be skeptical of Hines and his choir boy explanation of “just sitting on a jet ski minding his own business”. 😂

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

RB1a/Pass Catcher - James Cook

RB1b - Damien Harris

RB3/Power Back - Latavius Murray

This may be the training camp depth chart, but I've thought all along that Murray is a better back than Harris, and I'm expecting that late in the season he will be RB1b.   He's a more versatile runner than Harris.  

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ve been on jet skis before. In a lot of cases there is a group of people on them with some sort of horse play going on. 

Unless there is video showing otherwise, I’d be skeptical of Hines and his choir boy explanation of “just sitting on a jet ski minding his own business”. 😂

Well he says he was hit by another jet ski/driver. So that would confirm both sides here. 1. he was just sitting on the jet ski but 2. there was definitely horse play by the group.

I'd bet the other jet ski was trying to splash him, like snowing a goalie, and miscalculated.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Took several pages here (a time delay) for the stationary jet ski tweet.  Might have been talked through with his agent.

We'll also get to see if Hines presses charges against the person who allegedly rammed him.

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

"off field injury"--Sure hope it was not at the Folding Table OTA 🤣

These guys do have to get their $ fast!! (I never will understand Lamar taking that risk)

He was hit by a jet ski while he was sitting on another one that was stationary 

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I dont think so.  Punts are unchanged and I think I heard Joe Marino said NCAA saw a ~5% increase in touchbacks when they did this rule and thats the goal of the NFL.  I think you would still see a return ~50% of the time.  Additionally if teams are dropping coverage players (cause they think KRs dont matter) a really good return unit could take advantage. 

So the TB% was 59.7% in the NFL last season per pro-football reference

1013 returns, out of 2698 kickoffs, 37.5% kickoffs returned so (?) 2.8% fair catch?

Is the new rule that a fair catch anywhere comes out to the 25 yd line?  If so I would think the NFL would be trying to increase the number of fair catches

Sucks for Hines.  

It was a curious trade at the time, knowing we wanted to get Cook involved more.  

Anyhow, this presents an opportunity for Jordan Mims (UDFA rookie).  He's a comparable player to Hines, and we lost an undrafted back LY that contributed for Carolina.

Obviously need another back for camp, but I see Mims having a path now.

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree, yeah, I see 1 or 2 jet skis riding for fun, but a lot of time there is a pack of them, everyone is drinking, and there's a lot of horsing around (and also accidents due to inexperience + alcohol)

Doesn't mean he wasn't sitting on his own stationary Jetski, as reported.  The "minding his own business" may or may not be true, but was that said?

Just now, Beck Water said:

I agree, yeah, I see 1 or 2 jet skis riding for fun, but a lot of time there is a pack of them, everyone is drinking, and there's a lot of horsing around (and also accidents due to inexperience + alcohol)

Doesn't mean he wasn't sitting on his own stationary Jetski, as reported.  The "minding his own business" may or may not be true, but was that said?

My interpretation…

sitting idly on a jet ski = minding his own business 

😉

7 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Sucks for Hines.  

It was a curious trade at the time, knowing we wanted to get Cook involved more.  

Anyhow, this presents an opportunity for Jordan Mims (UDFA rookie).  He's a comparable player to Hines, and we lost an undrafted back LY that contributed for Carolina.

Obviously need another back for camp, but I see Mims having a path now.

It was a trade for a KR/PR. 

Fans got all excited like we'd signed our own budget Christian McCaffery, but KR/PR was an obvious gap at the time of the Hines trade.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Unfortunately Tom Pelissero is well-plugged-in and a typically reliable source.

Here is where the seamy side of NFL contracts can be at play.  An injury off-site - even if it's sustained while training for the upcoming season on the player's own time and dime - can be termed a "non football injury" and his salary and signing bonus would not be due.

I shared the hope several expressed that we wanted Deonte Harty to concentrate on being a WR and not a return man.  We'll see where that goes.

I think Non Football Injuries (NFIs) they still get paid.

They would have to cut him (maybe with an injury settlement) to clear the cap space

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.