Hines out for the year

17islongenough

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Seems like the logical choice. Maybe Cook can also return kicks if the need arises.

Possibly. Wasn't Shakir a return option last year as well before we got Hines? Be a slick way to get him some opportunities as well. 

While I don't think we end up with someone as electrifying as Hines I think we can find someone that's steady. My gut tells me that they look to someone already on the roster first. Then they use the spot to bring back a vet they like/know that they let walk...Taiwan Jones/ Kumerow type signing and add to ST.

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

His primary value to the Bills would have been as a returner.  He would have had relatively few carries as a running back.  I imagine the Bills will look for a free agent who could fill that role and has a little speed.  There are probably some guys out there who could do it, though obviously less talented than Hines.

Harty is easy choice for returns.

If they’re looking for a receiving RB as depth Kenyan Drake and Kareem Hunt are available.

• Like (+1) 1

Massive loss for the return game imo.  

Harty is a dynamic return guy too, but he’s been a fumble machine and I’m not sure we want him back there returning. 

Who are the other options?  Time to bust out Micha Hyde 😔 

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Not sure why we never got Hines involved in the passing game more (to beat a dead horse). Hope he gets a nice injury settlement, and his career isn’t done.

I hope he heals up quickly and can return at some point, if not, he is a multi millionaire and will be just fine financially, and have a good post football life. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We don't have a returner. 

You do know Harty actually led the league in PR and was a 1st team all pro as a ST'er his rookie season?

He was 10th and 14th in PR yardage the next 2 years.  5th, 14th, and 7th in KR yards.

I don't want to minimize Hines loss.  He was a good KR/PR for us last season.   I think Hardy has had trouble staying on the field, so using him as a PR where "it helps if you have a screw loose" (Andre Roberts) or "I don't care about my life" (Nyheim Hines pre-return mantra) isn't gonna help him contribute as a receiver.

But going from "Oh,no - Hines is a big loss" to "we don't have a returner" is a big step.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Not sure why we never got Hines involved in the passing game more (to beat a dead horse). Hope he gets a nice injury settlement, and his career isn’t done.

Not sure why? Who were you taking off the field? That’s the problem. You had Singletary and Cook. McKenzie is probably a popular answer but how would that work mid season?

Honestly this injury probably helps clear up roles for the Bills. A crowed backfield wasn’t going to be good. We also don’t want Hines taking Kincaid off the field.

11 minutes ago, wppete said:

So how does the CAP work with injuries? If he is out for the whole season does that free up his $$$ on the salary cap? 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Easy answer is no. 

The easy answer for an injury occurring outside the facility during the off-season is "yes, it does free up his $$$ on the salary cap".

Those are called "non-football injuries" and the team isn't obligated to pay non-guaranteed salary or per-game roster bonuses.  "NFL teams are not required to pay base salaries to players placed on the reserve/non-football injury or reserve/non-football illness lists."**

Hines has a cap hit of $3.5M of which $1.5M is signing bonus or fully guaranteed, so it frees up (nominally) $2M

Now, for a vet who is injured in the facility, he will usually have injury guarantees in his contract, so the easy answer would be "no".

**it is left to the discretion of the team, so the team can choose to pay the player part or all of his salary and per game bonuses.  they just aren't obligated to.  if they choose to, it still counts against the cap.

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a McKenzie clone returning… a big risk with fumbles/muffs. 

That’s unfortunate, 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh, I was thinking something else. He’ll get most of his money though.

He will.

Sal Capaccio 🏈
@SalSports
Other than the $340K in game-roster bonuses, Hines $3.5M cap hit will still count for 2023. So still looking at $3.16M.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We don't have a returner. 

With all the new rules neutering the return game is it really that crucial?

How many kick offs get returned?

Pretty much need someone to fair catch on punts most times. Micah Hyde has sure hands.

I'm just trying to look on the bright side😊

11 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Not sure why we never got Hines involved in the passing game more (to beat a dead horse). 

Because by the time they needed to throw the ball underneath more they were:

1) Using James Cook more in that role and getting 5.7 yards per carry

2) Allen was struggling with more with short throw accuracy than long throws due to his elbow injury

The only RB in the NFL who might be as good as an actual starting slot WR running routes is McCaffrey.   And even then we aren't talking exceptional in that regard.  Otherwise these guys gotta' run the ball to warrant receiver looks.    They aren't the equivalent of slot WR's regardless of the hyperbole people want to attach to their games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills could probably go after money but I doubt it.

So definitely non-football injury and probably more of an insurance matter than the Bills being on the hook for any of his salary and yes, they can probably......and should.......go after the bonus for cap space.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So definitely non-football injury and probably more of an insurance matter than the Bills being on the hook for any of his salary and yes, they can probably......and should.......go after the bonus for cap space.

Yeah, they definitely shouldnt

52 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It appears that the Bills would suffer a $1.5M dead cap while gaining $2M in cap if they were to cut him. That's really not much of a dead cap. Now, I think they will more than likely just IR him...but being he was injured working out away from team activities may open the door for a release.

It is $1.5M more than $0

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would imagine sitting stationary on a jet ski is not an activity that involved significant risk.

If he got hurt in a car accident would they be trying to get money from him?

Hopefully the Bills will not go after any of his salary. That would be a bad look.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.