Jeremy Fowler - The Bills believe they have the Diggs situation resolved

BillsFan619

"They don’t really expect any funny business here," Fowler said. "They do believe they have this resolved.”

“I was told pretty adamantly that Diggs would not have been there for that minicamp practice on the field had he not felt that they were in a little better of a place than they were before that Tuesday,” Fowler said. “I do sense that things are positive, and I’m told the Bills fully expect him for training camp."

Full article -https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-stefon-diggs-training-camp-absence-drama-rumors-josh-allen-jeremy-fowler

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There's always been this underlying feeling of unease with Diggs (at least by me) because of how he strategically forced his way out of Minnesota.  Now it's just going to be amplified.  If it forces Allen and Dorsey to make a concerted effort to force the ball to Diggs I'm cool with that.  I just wish he handled his discontent in house like every other Bills player who may have had a problem.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There's always been this underlying feeling of unease with Diggs (at least by me) because of how he strategically forced his way out of Minnesota.  Now it's just going to be amplified.  If it forces Allen and Dorsey to make a concerted effort to force the ball to Diggs I'm cool with that.  I just wish he handled his discontent in house like every other Bills player who may have had a problem.

Agree with most of this, but he did handle it in house, Diggs didn’t go to the media and air any dirty laundry or grievances.  

This outside drama has been created by the media over speculation because of frustrations he showed during and after the Bengals loss.  

He kept what the issue was, and all he he dialogue with the issue between him and the team.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

So here is the problem guy is a gamer.

Has been moving around in the slot and elsewhere to get the ball more.

During the playoffs aren't you supposed to get your best players the ball.

I know the other teams double him alot but he should have moved around more and are offensive looks Tell the defense what we are doing.

And the o line gave Josh 1 second to make up his mind.

But like others have said media made a big deal out of it to get clicks

Edited by scuba guy
Added
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He did handle it in house, Diggs didn’t go to the media and air any dirty laundry or grievances.  

This outside drama has been created by the media over speculation because of frustrations he showed during and after the Bengals loss.  

He kept what the issue was, and all he he dialogue with the issue between him and the team.  

He's not an idiot.  He knew that being the only Bills player to miss the first practice of mandatory mini camp would send a message to the outside world that there was a rift he had with the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 7

I love all these articles that say "I was told" that are just guesses. Told by...who? "Team insider"? Diggs himself? The pizza delivery guy? Now I know no one will reveal their "source" but it really undermines how seriously to take any report when we get no idea the level of knowledge whoever told him actually may have.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's not an idiot.  He knew that being the only Bills player to miss the first practice of mandatory mini camp would send a message to the outside world that there was a rift he had with the team.

I agree with this, and with Alpha’s take. Diggs didn’t overtly air his gripes, but definitely sent messages by his absence and tweets that he wasn’t happy about something. He just didn’t reveal what it was. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I agree with this, and with Alpha’s take. Diggs didn’t overtly air his gripes, but definitely sent messages by his absence and tweets that he wasn’t happy about something. He just didn’t reveal what it was. 

Agree. It also seems like he kept it in house for awhile. He obviously didn’t think it was getting resolved that way. Due to the situations with the WR corps and his contract there really wasn’t much choice but to make it work. I think that if things go badly this season that issues will likely arise again.

His approach to managing his concerns is either being passive aggressive on social media or losing emotional control on the sidelines. His behavior encourages the drama which would make me inclined to think he is ok with it. It was the same thing in Minnesota. Sort of this, well, he wasn't an outright bad teammate but something just wasn't right. Well this, what we are seeing, is what wasn't right.   

Consider the numbers that have made him feel this way. 1st in targets in 2020, 4th in 2021, and 5th in 2022. Also consider how this all started off as him just being a "competitor". Just wanting to win.

This isn't about that. He is unquestionably the best WR on this team. We need him. But if I was to put money on it, he has just as much chance of forcing himself off the team by next year as he does being on the team and almost no chance we can make it a whole year without one of his "competitive" episodes. I wish I didn't feel this way, but his actions don't exactly inspire trust. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, the drama was created by McDermott saying he was "very concerned" about Diggs' absence at day one of minicamp. All of the ensuing speculation and reporting followed from that. And it wasn't until the next day that anybody associated with the Bills threw water on the fire. It was a major PR blunder. Hopefully everything is truly resolved.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, the drama was created by McDermott saying he was "very concerned" about Diggs' absence at day one of minicamp. All of the ensuing speculation and reporting followed from that. And it wasn't until the next day that anybody associated with the Bills threw water on the fire. It was a major PR blunder. Hopefully everything is truly resolved.

McDermott is very measured with his words.

He covered for Diggs last year in the Thanksgiving game and did it again in the Bengals game. He has done so in private with Diggs several times. Maybe he didn't fully calculate the outcome, but his intention was to put Diggs on notice and let the team know he wasn't beyond the process.  It was completely out of his character to air this publicly, which sort of makes his intentions obvious (my opinion).

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just hung out with a Vikings fan and he said the recent drama by Diggs is typical for him. He said that Diggs just doesn't have a filter and is a major "me" guy. He is not in a happy place with the Vikings receiving corps either but is much happier with Jefferson. 

The Bills need Diggs for this season , there is absolutely no question about it. But imo, McDermott needs to manage him this season and the look for alternatives for 2024 and beyond. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would say that it’s right in the middle of both of your opinions- partially on McD for

blowing that PC. Partially on the media based on Diggs’ sideline rant.  Without McDs comment- this isn’t as big of a deal.  Without Diggs’ rant and the medias lust for clickbait, this isn’t as big of a deal.  

It would’ve been something- but the combination of McDs comments and the medias lust made it bigger than I think it should have been

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So here’s a proposed question; if the expectations for this season are not met and the production falls in a similar fashion where Diggs is crushing it the first half and “drops off “ will this type of scenario/problem be front and center in the off season again???

Edited by BBFL

22 minutes ago, BBFL said:

So here’s a proposed question; if the expectations for this season are not met and the production falls in a similar fashion where Diggs is crushing it the first half and “drops off “ will this type of scenario/problem be front and center in the off season again???

The better question is if Diggs gets what he wants, allegedly, "more say in the offensive game planning" and gets more targets with the same or less production, where does he point the finger then and does the staff/team start to turn on him for wanting it to be all about him (especially if their record is bad by November)?

Edited by The Wiz

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The better question is if Diggs gets what he wants, allegedly, "more say in the offensive game planning" and gets more targets with the same or less production, where does he point the finger then and does the staff/team start to turn on him for wanting it to be all about him (especially if their record is bad by November)?

Why project that far though ?

Lets hope he and Allen just keep doing what they have done, and making those great plays.

And Winning. You know the phrase ? Winning solves All  , for these types of ultra competitive athletes

Go Bills

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Why project that far though ?

Lets hope he and Allen just keep doing what they have done, and making those great plays.

And Winning. You know the phrase ? Winning solves All  , for these types of ultra competitive athletes

Go Bills

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just playing the devils advocate on this one.

If winning solves everything why was there so much contention in the Bengals game on the sideline?  They were 14-3 at that point (including the dolphin win).  He should have been happy.  If he's going to turn into what he did against the Bengals every time they are down then McD needs to step in and shut it down.  I get it, it's the playoffs, win or go home, etc.  That's the type of thing that I feel like ends up making players feel more defeated than what they are already going through though.

Being a great player is fine, no question. He has that win or lose.  He needs to be a great teammate in both situations also, not just when everything is going right.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just playing the devils advocate on this one.

If winning solves everything why was there so much contention in the Bengals game on the sideline?  They were 14-3 at that point (including the dolphin win).  He should have been happy.  If he's going to turn into what he did against the Bengals every time they are down then McD needs to step in and shut it down.  I get it, it's the playoffs, win or go home, etc.  That's the type of thing that I feel like ends up making players feel more defeated than what they are already going through though.

Being a great player is fine, no question. He has that win or lose.  He needs to be a great teammate in both situations also, not just when everything is going right.

Oh yea Wiz  I get ya :)

and devils advocated you right back.
My honest opinion is I dont care for the seeming emotional immaturity from Diggs, But these types live in a vacuum of sorts I suppose

Cheers my friend , Always

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The contention on the sideline was when the game was pretty much over…. They were about to lose again another playoff game…. You don’t think that had anything to with Diggs’s frustration? 

I'm sure it was part of it, but it was directed right at Allen.  That doesn't mean that his problem was with Allen but he took it out on him if nothing else.  I understand being held accountable for but when you take your frustration out on some that is doing all that they can to make you better/get paid/be "HIM", it's a good way of making it known that you care more about how you look vs how the team does.

Again, just playing the Devils' advocate here.  I know Allen missed plays, was rushed and/or hit on throws and looked off of Diggs a few times in the game.  The point is that every WR thinks they are always open, whether they are or not and how they deal with not being throw the ball matters just as much as another receiver catching a pass for a 1st down.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The media dramatization existed long before that.  But yes, McD comment didn’t help

But main point remains…Diggs kept it in house was the point in my previous post

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

WOW, breaking news!🙄

(No offense to the OP, this is towards Fowler)

This Diggs thing is so overblown.  Dude is a master at his craft and a professional.  

Never was a doubt in my mind that this was nothing more than a very minor issue. Sometimes you argue or fight with your brothers or ppl you love. 

Everything was just amplified because of the Vikings situation 

Edit - shocker that Fowler posted this after Bills posted this video

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Diggs is a typical diva WR. It comes with exceptional talent at that position. The one thing that bothers me is the whole competitive thing which is used to excuse his actions. I’m sure most other players are just as competitive. They just have more self restraint and don’t want to generate the drama. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, scuba guy said:

So here is the problem guy is a gamer.

Has been moving around in the slot and elsewhere to get the ball more.

During the playoffs aren't you supposed to get your best players the ball.

I know the other teams double him alot but he should have moved around more and are offensive looks Tell the defense what we are doing.

And the o line gave Josh 1 second to make up his mind.

But like others have said media made a big deal out of it to get clicks

You’re best players should catch the ball more than 4 times when they get 10 targets

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It’s weird how people keep bending over backwards to blame everybody except Diggs himself.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.