RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

1 hour ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

A two tight-end attack in 2023 is a unicorn. Let's see if Dorsey can exploit these modern defenses. 

#2 TE who can be the "slot" guy in 2 TE sets.

Knox is the #2 TE now. This dude is a first found talent and was the consensus #1 TE in the draft. Knox was taken in what, the third round?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

400-500 yards is being very generous.  Knox past 2 seasons he posted 587 and 517 yard totals.  

I don’t see how knox is really limiting Kincaids opportunities at all…I think he’s easily going over 500. Knox got pigeon holed into a blocking role a lot…Kincaid won’t be used that way. 

seems like we were hoping to be able to run a lot more 12 personnel with oj Howard last year but he just didn’t work out 

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Eerie Kincaid - Kelce Comparisons

Born:October 1999/1989

Drafted: 2023/2013

High School Basketball Stars

Jersey #: 86/87

Hair: Mullet / Brother Rocks One

Hands: Amazing Hands

Hand Size: 10-1/4” / 9-5/8”

Creative Routes

High Football IQs

Great Style

Swagger

Love the big hands

Just now, SCBills said:

If the Cowboys war room after we drafted Kincaid is any indication.. they wanted him BAD.  

Place was in shambles. 

Vids?

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Give it a rest dude. Dalton Kincaid was universally ranked the Top TE in the Draft and was the highest rated player on the board for both NFL Network and ESPN at the time of the pick.

Mayer wasn't even picked in the 1st Round or by Dallas that was eyeing TE's hard and clearly had Kincaid on their mind.

Hall, Woolen, and now Mayer. Let’s see who is right, again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If the Cowboys war room after we drafted Kincaid is any indication.. they wanted him BAD.  

Place was in shambles. 

They had no idea what happened.  Beane snuck in there with the Giants/Jax trade knowledge.  Kinda like what the Patriots did to the Jets.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Knox is the #2 TE now. This dude is a first found talent and was the consensus #1 TE in the draft. Knox was taken in what, the third round?

Huh?  What does Knox draft slot matter?  Only fans think about that.  Come Football time, where Knox was drafted 4 years ago is irrelevant.  And they just gave Knox $13m per.  And he is the superior blocker.  Knox will be TE1, Kincaid will be TE1.5 who will be used more as a big slot than replacing Knox as a TE.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t see how knox is really limiting Kincaids opportunities at all…I think he’s easily going over 500. Knox got pigeon holed into a blocking role a lot…Kincaid won’t be used that way. 

seems like we were hoping to be able to run a lot more 12 personnel with oj Howard last year but he just didn’t work out 

To be clear, I don't question Kincaid's talent.  It's more Ken Dorsey and this offense. 

Aaron Hernandez is the best rookie tight endthat I can remember.  He went 45 rec 563 6TDs and that was in NE's offense that featured tight ends.

I'm not optimistic he'll be utilized like he should.  We'll see.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Oh the draft genius is here! And he’s disappointed. And a ND fan. Not surprised 

That genuinely perplexes me haha cuz Mayer is a lot closer to ‘another Dawson Knox’ than Kincaid is as far as prototype goes.  I’m curious if we would’ve even scooped up Mayer if Kincaid was gone…I’m thinking no but we’ll never truly know 

cowboys were in that exact position and didn’t pull the trigger 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  What does Knox draft slot matter?  Only fans think about that.  Come Football time, where Knox was drafted 4 years ago is irrelevant.  And they just gave Knox $13m per.  And he is the superior blocker.  Knox will be TE1, Kincaid will be TE1.5 who will be used more as a big slot than replacing Knox as a TE.

Okay. How about the fact that Knox has been in the league for 4 years now and has yet to crack the top 10 in receiving yards or receptions . Knox is a borderline top 10 TE at best. No reason why he should be penciled in as the #1

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Sigh 

I liked Mayer the most too obviously. But his skillset is just a better version of Knox, good blocker with better hands than Knox, but has good, not elite hands. Kincaid gives a different version of the same position with Elite hands and his blocking is good when he's on the move but he's not an inline blocker. Two different skill sets. Would be like saying we should draft a Will guy at LB because Edmunds left, that's what we have Milano for. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

I think they can teach him to be an effective blocker. But if he becomes our Kelsey, I’m ok with those limitations. 

I was thinking more Zach Ertz.  I do know that McDermott and Beane witnessed firsthand what Olsen and Shockey could do to a defense in Newton's rookie year.  I'm bummed how the draft board fell but am glad we didn't go defense as it would've been really easy to stay there and take Mazi/Nolan Smith.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That genuinely perplexes me haha cuz Mayer is a lot closer to ‘another Dawson Knox’ than Kincaid is as far as prototype goes.  I’m curious if we would’ve even scooped up Mayer if Kincaid was gone…I’m thinking no but we’ll never truly know 

I wouldn’t expect Beane to know a good player if it was in front of him anyways outside of Allen. I’m on record saying Mayer > Kincaid , let’s revisit later. Just like with the Hall and Woolen picks looking good. 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

To be clear, I don't question Kincaid's talent.  It's more Ken Dorsey and this offense. 

Aaron Hernandez is the best rookie tight endthat I can remember.  He went 45 rec 563 6TDs and that was in NE's offense that featured tight ends.

I'm not optimistic he'll be utilized like he should.  We'll see.

Literally my same feelings.  I’ll remain cautiously optimistic, but yes all my concerns 100% stem with Dorsey making him a big enough part of the offense.  If he succeeds at that, then this could be a major weapon.  If he doesn’t then we have $13m a year in Knox and 1st and 4th in Kincaid not returning enough value in Dorsey’s offense.  

But IMHO Kincaid was the BPA at 27, so I feel good we took the talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Beane faced a run on WRs. Managed to get a guy for the offense.  It's ok, but Dorsey is really going to have to evolve. 

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What I meant by that was more of Dorsey's usage of 2 TE sets. Understand that our #2 TE last year was Morris and that may have dictated the rational for less of those sets.  I'm very interested to see what Dorsey has in mind. Based on last year as it's all we have to go by I am skeptical....however open minded to see how the offense evolves as opposed to slamming Dorsey or the pick at this time. 

You know I thought the same thing when I was considering one of these top TEs potentially being drafted.

The thing is, if Dorsey can't get the ball to Kincaid then he is not the OC the Bills need.  I was critical at times in his rookie OC year

but he now is a vet so he has to do the job.

Additional comment:

As to the talk about Kincaid and his lack of blocking.  If he is indeed going to play the role Beane has already talked about I would

venture to say he will be a better blocker than McKenzie and Beasley!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Beane said he had a trade down in place if Kincaid was gone, so wouldn’t have taken Mayer.  He was the last player he had a first round grade on left on the board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

you throw 100 darts at a board and crow about the 3 that hit the bull. You ain’t nobody despite this warped perception you have of yourself and you’re not fooling anyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Oh man - here we go with you boasting of your incredible track record of Hall and Woolen last year. Like a broken record.

Congrats dude, the best RB in the class turned out to be good and a mid round CB panned out. That must mean you're always right and never wrong on every Draft pick that ever happens and you can already declare yourself right on Mayer over Kincaid.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

This pick is a dream come true. 

12 personnel is traditionally a big grouping. If you can pass effectively out of that, you are almost unstoppable. It’s like a cheat code If teams play base or big, abuse those lb. Make them play nickel and run it down their throat until they bring down the safety…then go for the dagger. And do all of that without subs, so you can change tempo whenever you want.

2007 gets the hype, but that 11/12 Pats team with Gronk and Hernandez might have been the best team offense I’ve ever seen. Bill B has been chasing it ever since.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Big C said:

I said I liked the pick a lot! Just thinking the price is higher than I would have expected but I don’t know the trade values that well. 

It was spot on according to the trade value chart, so not an overpay if that is your concern. If you don't spend a late fourth to move up, Dallas definitely was poised to take him. I was arguing for weeks against the folks who said Dorsey won't use 12 personnel or we don't need to use a first for a backup to Knox or that TE is not worth a first round pick. Kincaid is not going to be Knox's backup (or replacement). He is a weapon you can move around and create much more uncertainty for the defense. He's going to force the defense to cover the entire field. This will also help the run game. It's an absolute home run pick provided Dorsey is competent enough to game plan all the possibilities. Go look at what one typically finds late fourth round and ask yourself if that price is worth one of the best offensive weapons in the draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I wouldn’t expect Beane to know a good player if it was in front of him anyways outside of Allen. I’m on record saying Mayer > Kincaid , let’s revisit later. Just like with the Hall and Woolen picks looking good. 

He knows more than the GM of a professional football team that makes the playoffs every year everyone. We’ve reached peak delusion with this one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Okay. How about the fact that Knox has been in the league for 4 years now and has yet to crack the top 10 in receiving yards or receptions . Knox is a borderline top 10 TE at best. No reason why he should be penciled in as the #1

Knox has 15 TDs the last 2 seasons despite only averaging 68 targets.  He has the highest catch rate on the Bills too.  And he’s a very good blocker.  if they gave him the same targets as the TEs ahead of him he would have the production.  

You can’t catch what isn’t thrown to you.  Kelce had 2.5X more targets thrown his way.  Kittle had poor stats when Jimmy G was QB this year and was more a blocker cuz Jimmy was a statue.  Once purdy brought mobility in, they released Kittle more and he had a bunch of big games with Purdy.

Knox is our starting TE, in the traditional sense.  Kincaid is not going to be blocking and will release and be a receiving weapon.  He literally can’t do what Knox does as a blocker.  

So Kincaid is not supplanting Knox, they won’t be used in the same way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Oh man - here we go with you boasting of your incredible track record of Hall and Woolen last year. Like a broken record.

Congrats dude, the best RB in the class turned out to be good and a mid round CB panned out. That must mean you're always right and never wrong on every Draft pick that ever happens and you can already declare yourself right on Mayer over Kincaid.

A lot of us were high on Woolen too, I was pounding the drum for him in the second until we took Elam.  

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If he is indeed going to play the role Beane has already talked about I would

venture to say he will be a better blocker than McKenzie and Beasley!

IMO, Kincaid sees more snaps if our OL is better. If not, Knox plays the 1 TE sets for protection. 

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

NFL decision makers unanimously disagree with you re: Kincaid in the first round. Thoughts?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.