Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Well sh-t.

I am absolutely thrilled to have been wrong. What an absolute steal!

I’m not surprised given they didn’t announce the terms right away.  Plus, Beane doesn’t overpay RB’s.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Bills fans just like to complain. He had a modest contract to come here, instead if thinking positive, automatically there must be something wrong with the guy. Nobody wanted him. They use PFF and Spotrac data when it backs their points and ignore it when it doesn’t. 

I guess we will never know the truth, but fans complain that Josh doesnt’t atteact guys the way some other QBs do, he attracts a guy who is better than what we had and making half, and there must be something wrong with the guy. Its silly. 

This is an amazing signing. 

Perhaps you should just calm down and have a cup of tea.

But seriously, this might be a very positive acquisition ?
Or the standard lines are true.
I can wait and see and remain hopeful. I also like the WR from Miami pretty alrighty

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

1 year "prove you can stay healthy" deal for way cheaper than Singletary, and arguably a better fit for our offense.  I kind of love it.

There is no "argument" about that at all.  With Cook and Hines on the roster signing another clone of them would be foolish.

I couldn't dare to think Beane could sign Harris to a deal like this last month!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Excactly.  You found out pretty quick who can play RB in the NFL.  The good contribute right out of the gate. 

you guys and this Cook pipe dream....let it go, he's gonna be gone in a couple years. 

the absolute worst type of poster. zero ability to see context. you want everything to be black and white and thats not how life and especially not the nfl works.  an nfl rookie, bad line, rookie OC. a veteran reliable trusted back in front of him. an unfortunate fumble early in a season with the highest of expectations.  only focusing on that, completely ignoring the flashes we saw more often, and each closer to the last

theres your posts

theres homers

then the truth in the middle. Your posting is a crop-duster. Take it outside, or to your car where you love to huff those farts. Please pass up the cuddlefish and asparagus, vanilla paste is your friend

image.png.702aa5d8bca7b7b679eb7079ae012908.png

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Nope. It's still there if you want to laugh and/or praise the genius that is Brandon Beane.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/damien-harris-29123/market-value/

Again, I was clearly wrong. And I'm thrilled to have been wrong. I didn't see any way we'd get him for half of Alexander Mattison, less than half of Devin Singletary, and even cheaper than Travis Homer and Justice Hill. But here we are!

You have to factor in injuries. JuJu Smith-Schuster just 4 years after a 1,400 yard season had to settle for basically $3 million guaranteed on a one year prove it deal with the Chiefs. Injury prone non-elite players are going for much less than their projected market value. This is especially true for a high volume position like RB.

The nice thing about having an elite QB and a highly productive offense is that we get first dibs on those one year prove it deals. Harris knows if he comes here and produces and plays the whole season he'll get a more lucrative contract from another team next year, the same formula JuJu used. Having an elite QB is a cheat code in more ways than one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

There is no "argument" about that at all.  With Cook and Hines on the roster signing another clone of them would be foolish.

I couldn't dare to think Beane could sign Harris to a deal like this last month!

There's an argument to be made that you'd rather keep Singletary and lose Hines, but then you're losing the return game as well. 

Overall, I'm happy with the RB room with how it's shaken out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:41 PM, Maine-iac said:

Harris will essentially do Motor stuff.  I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call him a power back or others saying he's faster than Motor.  He has 10 pounds on Motor so he should carry guys a little better but they both run bigger than their size.  Neither is a power back.  Harris ran a 4.57 at the combine.  Yes it's faster than Motor but not much.  Seems like they're very similar and that's not actually a bad thing, Motor did a lot of good things here and I feel like Harris could as well.  Just hope the money is right

Motor was a GREAT pass blocker. I have no clue about Harris. Hopefully yes. Josh is still the main man, by a long ways.

10 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Probably more like there weren’t any big offers so go to a good team effect.  

Yep

Josh freaking Allen or Mac 😆Jones 🤔

Buffalo Bills winning/family culture or joyless cheating franchise with miserable mumbling dbag coach and fat pervert owner - set for division basement-dwelling for years to come 🤔

Bills Mafia or Masshole fan base 🤔

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I won’t lie, I have zero issues with a healthy DH being the long term feature back.

I would think Cook get some more snaps overall.  The good thing is they have different skills and that should influence their usage

depending on the opponents' strengths and weaknesses.

I feel Dorsey did not game plan that last year.  My hope is he improves in that regard.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Motor was a GREAT pass blocker. I have no clue about Harris. Hopefully yes. Josh is still the main man, by a long ways.

Motor was very good in pass blocking. If he were still on the team, Harris would be our best pass blocking RB. And that isnt a knock on Motor at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

There's an argument to be made that you'd rather keep Singletary and lose Hines, but then you're losing the return game as well. 

Overall, I'm happy with the RB room with how it's shaken out. 

I would say "so far so good" but maybe not finished. 

A rookie backup big back is a possibility.  This would back up Harris and be a possible succession plan.  Could be a 4th or 5th rounders - R Johnson types.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

pretty sure it depends on the free agent’s veteran status / salary as well?

They need to be an UFA (4+ years in NFL) and make at least $1.75M/year to be a CFA (compensatory FA).  Playing time and post-season awards can also change compensation as can salary differences (like Edmunds making $18M/year versus McGovern, the highest paid UFA the Bills signed, making $7.45M/year).  Only McGovern and Harty qualify among the guys they signed while Edmunds, Keenum and Singletary count (waiting on Jaquan Johnson's salary but figure it's below $1.75M). 

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Excactly.  You found out pretty quick who can play RB in the NFL.  The good contribute right out of the gate. 

you guys and this Cook pipe dream....let it go, he's gonna be gone in a couple years. 

Yeah, Cook was T-1st among RBs with a 5.7 ypc average. He also had the lowest number of carries per 20+ yard runs among RBs at a little under 15. The next closest RB was 22 carries per 20+ yard run, almost 50% higher than Cook's average. We'll being seeing him early and often next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Motor was very good in pass blocking. If he were still on the team, Harris would be our best pass blocking RB. And that isnt a knock on Motor at all.

I'm no expert on Harris but if he blocks like he runs, I believe it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

And spend 8 years of your life with Saban and Belichick, you will know technique and assignments.

One would probably pick up some horrible, horrible social skills, but, yes, one would know football techniques and assignments.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Singletary's number came out same day at 1/$3.75M

Poyer's took a couple days and was much lower than folks thought it might be. Half of Spotrac's valuation.

Sherfield's took a day and is now reported at 1/$1.77M

Harris' number still sitting out there. The longer it goes, the closer it gets to Sherfield :thumbsup:

I want to see Singletary's official number as "up to" 3.75M dollars was the report.  It matters too to see if he qualifies for a comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I won’t lie, I have zero issues with a healthy DH being the long term feature back.

I don't think the bolded really reflects the way NFL front offices have been thinking about the position of late. Big Money RBs* don't correlate favorably with deep playoff success in recent years, to my knowledge. 

*by working definition: RBs on extensions / 2nd deals, or 4th/5th year 1st round RBs...

8 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I feel that if Josh would've taken the easier, shorter pass instead of forcing the deep shots things would've been different for the offense. I remember Mahomes having the same problem prior to last season 

Josh and Pat both learned that lesson in 2021. As defenses adjusted to them, they then had to adjust to those defenses (specifically Cover 0). They both eventually adjusted and that's why both offenses were on fire again at the end of that season.

There were two problems for Josh/the Bills last season (2022) that, imo,  led to the appearance that Josh regressed or forgot to "take what the defense gives you" (i.e. shorter passes). I think we were all frustrated at first at all of the deep shots. But, there were reasons for it and I don't think that they were Dorsey or Josh being greedy or Josh regressing.

1. It came out at some point, that due to Josh's elbow injury, he felt a lot of pain on certain throws, but chucking it down the field (bombs) didn't hurt as much because it was a different motion (less angle, straight-armed, whatever.). So, some of it may have been pain/load management, rather than just being greedy (back to hero ball). And maybe if certain throws hurt, then Josh wasn't as strong or accurate with those throws at that time either, so Dorsey called fewer of them perhaps.

2. Our slot position was a mess once Crowder went down. I think by mid-season Josh didn't really trust McKenzie and/or lil' Dirty wasn't getting open consistently enough. Our slot position production was down 40% from the previous three years.

I think a healthy Josh, with the new weapons will take the shorter throws when that's what the defense is allowing. And no question, we should have a stronger slant game with Harty/Shakir/Sherfield. I don't think Josh forgot the lessons he already learned.

And wow...1.7 million for Harris? Beautiful! I look forward to seeing him help close out games for us in the 4-minute drives when we have the lead. This is why I'm not worried about predictability. His main use (4-minute offense, goal line, short yardage) are all times that defenses will be expecting the run anyhow. Hopefully we now have a back that can still produce those tough yards when they know it's coming.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yeah, Cook was T-1st among RBs with a 5.7 ypc average. He also had the lowest number of carries per 20+ yard runs among RBs at a little under 15. The next closest RB was 22 carries per 20+ yard run, almost 50% higher than Cook's average. We'll being seeing him early and often next year.

..You're fooled by 5.7 ypc .. so he's better than Simpson ever was? He got 5.7 cause nobody cares if he gets the ball. 

• Eyeroll 2

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

You can’t even get yourself to say it was a good acquisition.  This is gold 

I very much like the Harris pick up. It's hard not to like especially so cheap.

I wouldn't say "this is gold" because I don't see Harris as a game changer. Nevertheless, it's a very good pick up. 

Edited by newcam2012

44 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I wouldn't say "this is gold" because I don't see Harris as a game changer. Nevertheless, it's a very good pick up. 

I think it gives us the element that if we want to knuckle down and play power football at times, we have the back to do it

We’re still not finished product

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know their stats aren't dissimilar but from what I've seen of Harris, he's bigger, faster, stronger.   I think he's a significant upgrade if he stays healthy.  

One thing to consider is Motor ran vs light boxes and DH vs 8 man looks predominantly

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

“This is gold”  has nothing to do with the Bills signing Harris

• Thank you (+1) 1

He is excellent on the zone game stuff, but I do hope they integrate a little more of the gap scheme stuff. We do a little bit with Josh running and it is really good. That stuff hurts teams like us with smaller, faster defenses. And Harris looks like he is shot out of a cannon on those power plays.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it gives us the element that if we want to knuckle down and play power football at times, we have the back to do it

We’re still not finished product

The Bills will likely never be a power football team. It will always relay too much on Allen's arm and legs.

Statistically the Bills were very good in picking up 3rd downs. It's called the QB down for a reason. 

I like the Harris pick up. However, let's not act like he's the next Derrick Henry. He's getting paid a measly 1.7 million for a reason. 

Agree, he adds a dimension to the running game. That's a good thing. Can Dorsey actually use him effectively? 

Edited by newcam2012

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.