Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

14 hours ago, offyourocker said:

Let’s not forget about property tax being significantly more.  I used to have a 100k house in Rochester NY.  Taxes were 4k per year.  

This is true. A 200k home in NY has the same property tax as a 700k home in Florida.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Who cares.

I think it just affirms what many of us have thought. Players really do care about location.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think it just affirms what many of us have thought. Players really do care about location.

You know Einstein was credited with the theory of relativity…

thus you’d think it’d be intuitive for someone taking the name, that what players care about is relative.

some want to win superbowls more than anything.

some are in it to maximize earnings 

some are in it for individual greatness

when Poyer signed up with DR, it signaled his priority is $$. If his best financial outcome is Detroit, New England, Minnesota, you name it… that’s where he will be. His journey went from seventh round pick, to cut to scrub for years to all pro. I suspect he won’t be an all pro in most other schemes, but if he can find a high bider with guaranteed money, he can always play that deal until he’s cut, then try to latch on to a winner at the end or hang ‘em up rich. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This would be true only if rich people didn’t have tax professionals on their payroll who know how to exploit the code to where they pay less tax than an E-1 in the military.  No I’m not kidding.  My active duty Navy cousin paid $1,300 to the federal government and $600 to the state.  

#1 I would not describe military members as ordinary people.  #2 Athletes do not pay plenty.  When someone making less than $20K per year (working poor) is paying a higher income/tax percentage than an athlete or politician who is making millions I would not say they pay plenty or their share.  You speak in absolutes but can’t back this up with any data points.  Look at all these players lining up to play for the Texans and Jaguars because of state tax free salary!  In fact the Jags had to drastically overpay every 2022 FA because they suck.  

Again you are arguing with yourself (bolded/underlined).

I think any reasonable person understood what I meant by ordinary person meaning not wealthy and famous, nice try.

You have "data points"?   Pretty much anyone will evaluate any job offer in terms of how it works for them including taxes.  So we agree players want to play in Texas and Florida.   Yet you seem to want to criticize that and call it free salary, what in the world does that mean?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s funny how fans don’t realize players don’t want to play in our climate. We’re at a disadvantage.

It’s funny how Poyer talks taxes and climate while the Bills owner is building a new open air stadium with our taxes. 

It's a disadvantage in UFA but I think it's easier to get a team focused on football in a market with less distractions.

As a born and raised Miami Hurricanes fan I can tell you that football and paradise aren't great natural fits for a variety of reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Love Poyer, if thats the best place for him i hope it happens.

Every one of us knows or is (🙋‍♂️) multiple ppl who left buffalo. Usually its sun related, with taxes being a close 2nd. Dudes always been a warrior and ill cheer for him anywhere he goes

I know this is the right attitude to have and you are right, but man....Miami?  Ugh. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Love Poyer, if thats the best place for him i hope it happens.

Every one of us knows or is (🙋‍♂️) multiple ppl who left buffalo. Usually its sun related, with taxes being a close 2nd. Dudes always been a warrior and ill cheer for him anywhere he goes

I agree, that is definitely the right attitude. I dream of a move to warmer climates, but there’s something annoying about the way athletes say these things. It feels like an unnecessary cheap shot. We’re all aware that it gets cold in Buffalo. I love warm weather as much as the next guy, but I don’t see the need to make jokes about sunshine. These athletes come to Buffalo, soak their ego with all the attention WNY gives them, then talk about how the weather stinks. The dude is from Oregon (lots of sunshine, I’m sure), stop acting all Miami. I wish him the best, but these guys act like they don’t have all offseason to party in Miami. The Bills are usually done in early January anyway, go enjoy Miami then. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a disadvantage in UFA but I think it's easier to get a team focused on football in a market with less distractions.

As a born and raised Miami Hurricanes fan I can tell you that football and paradise aren't great natural fits for a variety of reasons.

It’s a different time. Players will always go to where they can win and get on prime time but Buffalo is at huge disadvantage when compared to the majority of NFL cities.

Why are we building a stadium for the fans and Buffalo and not to put the most competitive team on the field? Bills fans will go no matter what and will be loud.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s a different time. Players will always go to where they can win and get on prime time but Buffalo is at huge disadvantage when compared to the majority of NFL cities.

Why are we building a stadium for the fans and Buffalo and not to put the most competitive team on the field? Bills fans will go no matter what and will be loud.

Has nothing to do with fans or Buffalo, it was the most economical. 

Looks like Poyer is willing to go where the biggest money is,  remember this is a job, loyalty only last as long as the money is good/competitive,

5 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

If you follow Rachel bush for her ummmm personality 😆 this is something she clearly has wanted and made known throughout the year. So this is not surprising 

Happy wife happy life…, not so certain there is a bush…, 

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is true. A 200k home in NY has the same property tax as a 700k home in Florida.

My four bedroom colonial with an attached two car garage in Brighton (just outside of Rochester) has the same property tax as my Two bedroom Cape Cod in West Hartford Ct. but if I had gone for a similar four bedroom place in West Hartford taxes would have been 20k and higher annually, and rising depending on location…, but there are benefits to high tax locations, folk tend to not realize this till they find out  the services that they had grown used to tend to not compare in lower property tax locations, we have friends that moved to Sarasota, (Gated community) thinking there tax /overhead costs would be lower but it turned out to be a push according to them, property tax and hurricane and flood insurance etc. there is no free lunch. 

39 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Has nothing to do with fans or Buffalo, it was the most economical. 

$500 million. I understand. But we’re talking about the NFL. That’s $500 million for the next 50 years!

The Bills worth will triple over that time. The state and the Pegulas can afford the extra $500 million over 50 years for a closed roof NFL stadium.

If the community demanded a dome we’d have a dome. The problem is the community thinks football should be played outdoors. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

37 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Looks like Poyer is willing to go where the biggest money is,  remember this is a job, loyalty only last as long as the money is good/competitive,

Happy wife happy life…, not so certain there is a bush…, 

Yeah but warmer weather less clothing and more beaches.  Might be a net win for many of us fans. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s funny how fans don’t realize players don’t want to play in our climate. We’re at a disadvantage.

It’s funny how Poyer talks taxes and climate while the Bills owner is building a new open air stadium with our taxes. 

You do realize that these guys take 33 degree ice baths every day, right? Cryotherapy is apart of every pro athletes regimen, which is why I think Buffalo’s “cold weather advantage” is complete horse doo doo.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:12 PM, newcam2012 said:

Then what happened to the Bills who have Allen? 

It looks like Tua is a difference maker on that Dolphin team. For awhile he was the leading candidate for MVP.

Are you implying he can lead the way past the Bills? 

No I’m saying Tua won’t get it done

made it close sure

”beat us” one time 

still was a fluke in 1000 degree heat - no excuses but we were missing half our defense and had 500 yards total offense 

Matter of fact

2-3 times in the last two years we played the dolphins 

….we knocked him out 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$500 million. I understand. But we’re talking about the NFL. That’s $500 million for the next 50 years!

The Bills worth will triple over that time. The state and the Pegulas can afford the extra $500 million over 50 years for a closed roof NFL stadium.

If the community demanded a dome we’d have a dome. The problem is the community thinks football should be played outdoors. 

I get your point, but think you’re giving too much credit to what the community wants as being a consideration. The Pegulas and New York State had no interest in shelling out more cash, so the fan “research” simply provided justification. 

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I get your point, but think you’re giving too much credit to what the community wants as being a consideration. The Pegulas and New York State had no interest in shelling out more cash, so the fan “research” simply provided justification. 

Why would they? There is literally no push back at all. 

If we had a vote I’m pretty sure open air stadium would win the vote. Most likely for the dumbest reasons.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, balln said:

Ooof. I always wonder. Do the bills have to overpay bc of New York taxes. Why isn’t there an adjustment for teams for cap. Seems like a competitive advantage for teams in states w forgiving tax laws

It’s not the NFL’s responsibility to assess the tax implications in those states.  Besides, the game checks are taxed in the state they play in so when the Bills play in FL or TX, there is no state tax.  It would be impossible to manage.

In addition, I work in medical sales.  Now it’s not NFL$, but it’s for many of us multiple six figures.  I’ve never worked for a company that adjusts for sales people and mgrs that reside in NYC, Boston, and San Fran.

No company cares in my industry.  The bottom line is these players need to know how to wisely invest so they have $ for the rest of their lives.  More don’t than do and why they are broke 10 years after finishing their football career.  It’s also silly they don’t take their off season to finish their degrees as now they can almost always do on line.  On line has exploded in colleges since COVID.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

NY has an 8% state income tax, so 80K of each million goes to the state.  

If the Bills gave Poyer the money and term he wanted at the beginning of the season, he would appear perfectly content.  The problem is, at his age, and with the Bills' cap situation, signing him at that money and term is a poor investment.

Poyer does deserve it.  He was fantastic here and played through a lot of ouchies.  Love the player and his place in the history of this team.  

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

If the Bills gave Poyer the money and term he wanted at the beginning of the season, he would appear perfectly content.  The problem is, at his age, and with the Bills' cap situation, signing him at that money and term is a poor investment.

Poyer does deserve it.  He was fantastic here and played through a lot of ouchies.  Love the player and his place in the history of this team.  

Jordan was great for us and a true warrior.  Had a chance to meet uncle and mother at 13 sec game and they were good people. The Bills and community though were also great to him in terms of comp in grand scheme of things and supporting him through his personal battles. Really wish he just stayed quiet in comments as we all know he is likely leaving. I guess I will still kinda root for him but a little less and a lot less when Bills are playing and if he is with the stinky fish. 

5 hours ago, BananaB said:

That’s his wife talking. She has seemed to be more interested in his contract then he has over the years. 

More vocal about it, certainly, but at the end of the day Poyer will listen to his agents and not his wife.

But yeah, Poyer knows he's coming to the end of his career.  Buffalo sweetened his contract in 2022 as a "thank you", but he's gotta go for the best guaranteed $$ he can get.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

For those who don't think taxes matter in NY.

ProFootballTalk on Twitter: "Jordan Poyer on free agency: I would love a state that doesn't take half my money. https://t.co/iqpVN7HN9U" / Twitter

5 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

First this is false - the highest tax rate is 10% or so. That is not even close to 50%. And that is before all the accounting tricks to pay much less than that. We all have to pay taxes, millionaires pay less % wise than most because they can afford to use tax strategies

Second you sound like a Jacka$$ complaining about paying taxes on a $10M/yr contract. Player salaries have gone up so much that average fans cant even go to games anymore and your complaining about taxes. People buying your jerseys pay them too. And a ton of public resources go to having pro sports so if anyone should pay taxes its you. 

“I gotta feed my family”…Latrell Sprewell

cant do that on just $21m

i gotta pay taxes on my Millions….Poyer

Bad look for a player on the downside after a City embraced him and he made Millions upon Millions. And a city where he didn’t have to spend 5M on a house to live in a great neighborhood. 

Still love what he did for us but time to move on

poyer has outperformed his contracts with buffalo.....only a few can say that.

its time to move on, he's old, lost a step and that playoff game vs cincy he was awful. 

his comments about taxes.....he aint wrong.....big advantage for teams in states with low taxes

hope he lands a big contract somewhere....just not with us....i want that money invested in the Oline

tip of the hat to poyer....a great bill

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

poyer has outperformed his contracts with buffalo.....only a few can say that.

its time to move on, he's old, lost a step and that playoff game vs cincy he was awful. 

his comments about taxes.....he aint wrong.....big advantage for teams in states with low taxes

hope he lands a big contract somewhere....just not with us....i want that money invested in the Oline

tip of the hat to poyer....a great bill

He was playing through multiple injuries in the Cincy game though 

9 hours ago, BananaB said:

That’s his wife talking. She has seemed to be more interested in his contract then he has over the years. 

See I don’t get this take at all. Why, because she wants her husband to make as much money as possible? Because she wants a say in where he plays next? Because they live in Florida and god forbid she would like it if he was there? Sound like pretty much every other wife of every other player.

yes she has made comments about his contract in the past, but she’s never bashed Buffalo, in fact has spoken highly of it. She supports the team and wants what is best for her and her family. 

why aren’t people in every thread calling out the wives or girlfriends of players who might go and play somewhere else? We all know why, but is anyone actually able to admit it? 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

lost a step and that playoff game vs cincy he was awful.

He's sad that his likely last game with the Bills was his worst. I have to think he was injured as he had never played so bad. Whatever his intent for the future, I'm sure he was all in while he was here, and would have wanted a SB win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.