Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Miami seems pretty well set in their secondary. Can’t see them throwing big bucks at Poyer. 

He’s an All Pro. Most teams and fan bases highly value them. Around here we value young age over all pro 

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Poyer is done. He’s played great for us, a true warrior. 

But he’s an aging vet playing through multiple injuries who’s looking to get paid. I get it from his point of view, but unless he comes back on a somewhat team friendly deal I can’t see us retaining him.

Which of our players aren’t aging?

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

To keep it simple, NY state income tax is 10.9%, Florida is 0.  That's a pretty significant difference

I'm pretty sure overall money has more to do with it than the taxes on said money.

Poyer openly lobbied for a deal that Buffalo has shown they're not willing to give him.  That's where it ends.

Buffalo is always in a tough spot recruiting. Taxes are real. Often the high tax teams  (CA teams, NYC, ect) come with mitigating factors such as weather, big market, “quality of life”, ect.

Buffalo, unfortunately, has the taxes without some of the offsets. Always going to be a challenge to recruit.

• Like (+1) 2

Poyer will be 32 at the end of April coming off a season in which he played only 12 games, and was banged up for at least half of the 12 he played. That's just factual information that will have a major impact on his market value. Or should at least. 

Right now there are only 8 teams with over 25 million in Cap space. The Giants, Ravens, and the Bengals are the only Playoff teams out of those 8, and I doubt those teams will be lining up to pay Poyer big bucks...We'll see. I can see a team like Chicago, Atlanta, or Vegas doing it...But all three teams have plenty of other issues to address before they get to Safety. And the UFA market for Safeties is not terrible this year. There are also a decent amount of Draft prospects at Safety in Rounds 1-5...I don't know...Certainly a team can sign him to a bigger deal with voidable years...But for a 32 year old? 

I love Poyer...I really do...But he's not in the best situation right now...No fault of his own of course...I think the Bills are playing this just right if the market is not what Poyer thought it would be...But I doubt he's back...And I do hope he cashes in despite the odds...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm pretty sure overall money has more to do with it than the taxes on said money.

Poyer openly lobbied for a deal that Buffalo has shown they're not willing to give him.  That's where it ends.

I'm not doubting that at all, was just explaining the tax situation 

Oh, please.....did you actually LISTEN go Poyer's latest podcast or just share some guy's interpretation? Poyer spent very little time on the subject of free agency. He spent much more time talking about golf and extraterrestrials....

and it's too bad people take words out of context when listening,  or reading.

3 hours ago, balln said:

Ooof. I always wonder. Do the bills have to overpay bc of New York taxes. Why isn’t there an adjustment for teams for cap. Seems like a competitive advantage for teams in states w forgiving tax laws

It matters a bit but on the margins.  Players will play for a good organization, a coach they like, and for winning more than they will for the tax rate they play. so yes, it matters but not a lot.

Since 2000, look at the most successful teams in the NFL. In terms of success/wins (where the good players would want to play) the best teams are: New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indy, Baltimore, and Philly.  Not exactly teams located in areas with low taxes and great weather.

Florida, Tenesee, and Texas have no state taxes and (arguably) better weather, where do the teams form their rank in success since 2000?:  Houston 29th, Tampa 24th, Miami 18th, Tenesee 13th, Dallas 11th.

Run a good organization, win games, get a good QB.  Those thing matter a LOT more to the success of your team compared to local tax rates and weather conditions.  The facts prove it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure I understand. Do you think your cousin paid a lot? Or a little? 

I’m not sure how you pulled this question out of my statement.  Nothing written indicates either.  Do I think someone making 20K a year has to pay a thousand plus dollars while billionaires pay nothing is acceptable?  No…no I do not.  

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

This exists in your imagination. 

Haha, please explain.  You do realize there is no flat tax correct?  Under the new tax codes only upper middle class and rich itemize while everyone else takes the standard deduction.  Just Google: Rich people  who didn’t pay taxes in 2021.  

• Eyeroll 1

Can't blame Po really. No state tax, warm and sunny throughout most of the season, just a nicer area to post up overall (some parts of it anyway, at least where him and his family could afford to be). Whether it be here or elsewhere, I wish him and his family the best. He left everything he had on the field out there for us since he arrived. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm sure at this point in his career he wants to go to a team he thinks has a shot at winning it all. He played against Miami 3xs this year. Read between the lines. 

A Poyer on a Miami team certainly bolsters their chances to dethrone the Bills. 

Our 3 biggest obstacles going forward will be Mia, KC & Cincy.

• Agree 1

I'll add this....

Is the FUTURE of Jordan Poyer elite (or not......).  I'm going to go ahead and say "not".  The NFL is a tough business, and Poyer had an AMAZING career in Buffalo.  He gave his best years, and now it's time to find the NEXT Jordan Poyer.  

It's big shoes to fill, but that's Beane's job.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Can't blame Po really. No state tax, warm and sunny throughout most of the season, just a nicer area to post up overall (some parts of it anyway, at least where him and his family could afford to be). Whether it be here or elsewhere, I wish him and his family the best. He left everything he had on the field out there for us since he arrived. 

The Bills got the best of him.........the next team can have the rest of him.    I don't think the Dolphins are in on that for big money though.........they are up against the cap too.   Poyer may not have his choice of destinations if he wants to get paid.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

There are 50 different income state tax codes. They range from a top rate of zero percent in several states to 13.3% in California.  In NYS the state income tax on $10MM would 964,000.  I Florida, it would be zero.  That might make a difference in decision making. 

Being that even the lowest paid players are in the top 3 percent annual income bracket in America, I have no pity concerning their financial compensation, any player that won’t do what it takes to make that work long term for themselves is what is referred to as an…, well,  not being particularly clever…, 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.