Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

13 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This would be true only if rich people didn’t have tax professionals on their payroll who know how to exploit the code to where they pay less tax than an E-1 in the military.  No I’m not kidding.  My active duty Navy cousin paid $1,300 to the federal government and $600 to the state.  

This exists in your imagination. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

Ooof. I always wonder. Do the bills have to overpay bc of New York taxes. Why isn’t there an adjustment for teams for cap. Seems like a competitive advantage for teams in states w forgiving tax laws

IT's not NY taxes FFS.  Most of these guys maintain multiple residences and it's not that hard to make a place like FL your domicile meaning no state income tax.  Come on man.

It's the area, the weather, (for some guys; some don't care at all) and I wonder if there isn't a growing sentiment within the team that our coaching staff ain't gonna get it done.

• Disagree 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

Agreed.  He’s super butt hurt and Would love to stick it to us if we won’t pay him.  And that would be terrible.  That Miami D is gonna be legit next year Imo

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Chaos said:

There are 50 different income state tax codes. They range from a top rate of zero percent in several states to 13.3% in California.  In NYS the state income tax on $10MM would 964,000.  I Florida, it would be zero.  That might make a difference in decision making. 

this is an overly simplistic analysis.  players get taxed based on where each football game is.  so if a dolphin team member plays 9 games in states where the tax is not zero, they will have a considerable tax bill still.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

I wonder how roster bonuses and signing bonuses get taxed by state.  If they have residence in Florida - I wonder if thats zero tax.

It used to be( back in my days working for Uncle Sam), that you could only be here in NY 30 days or less to claim non resident or not pay state income taxes regardless.

I sure hope to move the Hell outta here at some point....to a better climate.....and more freedoms.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

These guys should just look over at Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson and read the situation. Poyer is a difference maker in this defense. He may not be a difference maker elsewhere. Sure he will get a bag, but his career will toil in relative obscurity and he will be cut in two years. 

And seriously, people are afraid of the Dolphins? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

https://www.hodgsonruss.com/media/publication/434_How States Handle Signing Bonuses for Athletes.pdf

This is a very interesting article.  BLUF - it appears that signing bonuses are taxed based on your residency at the time they are paid.  So an athlete with residence in florida will not pay tax on a signing bonus.   Interesting....they even use a NY example in this article with court cases to support it. 

Intresting.  Im sure NFL players, teams and their agents and CPAs are all over the legalities of htis.

I would have never guessed this.  Figured NY out of all states would be going after that bonus money

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  He’s super butt hurt and Would love to stick it to us if we won’t pay him.  And that would be terrible.  That Miami D is gonna be legit next year Imo

I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to have one more year of him and Hyde.....if he hasn't already made up his mind. 2 yr. 14 mil. ?

A good chunk in signing bonus with a fairly small cap hit this year and a playing time clause that could void the 2nd yr.? IDK

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure I understand. Do you think your cousin paid a lot? Or a little? 

I think he actually believes he paid more than Poyer.

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

IT's not NY taxes FFS.  Most of these guys maintain multiple residences and it's not that hard to make a place like FL your domicile meaning no state income tax.  Come on man.

It's the area, the weather, (for some guys; some don't care at all) and I wonder if there isn't a growing sentiment within the team that our coaching staff ain't gonna get it done.

You pay in the state you earn.

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

These guys should just look over at Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson and read the situation. Poyer is a difference maker in this defense. He may not be a difference maker elsewhere. Sure he will get a bag, but his career will toil in relative obscurity and he will be cut in two years. 

And seriously, people are afraid of the Dolphins? 

You really just made that comparison?  Sorry, that is butt hurt Bills fan coming out.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Did you even google before you spoke? You earn income in a state, you pay the state taxes. These players pay multiple states income tax. You pay more for the state your place of employment is in. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

3 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

I think he actually believes he paid more than Poyer.

You pay in the state you earn.

You really just made that comparison?  Sorry, that is butt hurt Bills fan coming out.

Nah I disagree. I really could not care less what he does. I actaully think there are better players to be had in the draft and FA. His career was nowhere before he got here, he became something here and if he goes to Miami he will 100% regret it and get cut in the next 2 years. Sometimes the fit is more important than a lot of the other ancillary parts. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

Ooof. I always wonder. Do the bills have to overpay bc of New York taxes. Why isn’t there an adjustment for teams for cap. Seems like a competitive advantage for teams in states w forgiving tax laws

Higher taxes are suppose to mean a higher standard of living

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t think that he could say any more than what he already did in the following article.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/2/24/23614259/does-jordan-poyer-want-to-play-for-the-miami-dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-mike-mcdaniel-buffalo-bills

Makes sense, Florida is a retirement home anyways. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nah I disagree. I really could not care less what he does. I actaully think there are better players to be had in the draft and FA. His career was nowhere before he got here, he became something here and if he goes to Miami he will 100% regret it and get cut in the next 2 years. Sometimes the fit is more important than a lot of the other ancillary parts. 

Good point.  Certainly possible, his age will be a major factor.  

• Like (+1) 1

Losing good players who have been productive for you sucks, but paying an aging player who has an injury history big bucks past his prime sucks too.  I think Beane has played this right so far.  If Poyer truly wants market value, they need to move on.  Draft a young safety and use some free agency money on oline.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Poyer is walking because he thinks Miami is better than Buffalo. He is walking because the Bills don't want to pay him. 

A little of this, a little of that. I think a lot of the players are sick of McDermott’s shtick and know it’s not Championship caliber, why take a discount for that? Bills are on the decline, and Miami is on the rise. I hope it’s a huge mistake on his part and Allen abuses him in every matchup. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Poyer is from Oregon I believe. I’m thinking Raiders or Niners. west coast…maybe they live in Florida. I dont do the instagram stuff 

He lives in South Florida now. I have a friend that golfs with him regulary. He’s a big a fish fan, probably telling him to sign down there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.