Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

19 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm talking about looking it up, which you apparently are not capable of doing.  The cost of living in Miami is significantly higher than Buffalo. Property tax rate is higher in Miami especially on high value property. Google. It's your friend. 

For the upteenth time, he DOES NOT live in Miami... he is already a state resident. Cost of living may be higher but the taxes are not... Google is your friend. 

• Agree 1

On 2/26/2023 at 4:58 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone who thinks this is about anything other than money is clearly mistaken.  He knows this is his last contract to get any more real money, and if Buffalo was to offer him what he would get somewhere else, he would absolutely stay in Buffalo.  

And honestly, all this talk by him sounds a lot like a guy angling to get the Bills to pony up and make him a proper offer.  Don't try and drum up some lame conspiracy theory and all this other junk.  

You need more gears in your gear box other than negative gear.  You try and paint the most negative situation with every story.  

He is trying to get on Sully's Christmas card list.

Poyer is a leader and an absolute warrior... nothing but respect for the guy. 

I would try to resign him, even for a higher amount over 2-3 years. 

If the Saints can go from 90 million over the cap to under the cap in a week without cutting everyone then we can find a way. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:38 AM, BUFFALOTONE said:

Florida has no personal income tax and no state estate tax, whereas New York currently has an income tax rate as high as 8.82% and estate taxes on estates over $5,850,000.00 at a rate as high as 16%.

What are you talking about? I live in FLA and own a house in Niagara Falls...trust me you're wrong on this. 

Why would a 31 year old be concerned with estate taxes ? 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If the Saints can go from 90 million over the cap to under the cap in a week without cutting everyone then we can find a way. 

No.  You let go of players a year early rather than a year late.  Sorry, that's business if you want to continue being a high level team. You most certainly DO NOT pay them for past performance on future contracts.

I get the sentiment, but that's why you need to stay a fan and not be a GM.  Gotta separate the business side of it from the emotional side of it.

This is one of the major reasons the Patriots were able to last for 20 years that isn't talked about enough...Belichick was almost always right when he decided to let a big name player walk as they aged instead of paying them huge money like they got in FA.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/25/2023 at 8:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

Well per Turbo Tax NY had the 7th highest personal income tax rate while states like Florida and Texas have NO income tax. So I’d say that’s significant.

21 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm talking about looking it up, which you apparently are not capable of doing.  The cost of living in Miami is significantly higher than Buffalo. Property tax rate is higher in Miami especially on high value property. Google. It's your friend. 

Who says he has to live in Miami? He could just drive to work like most people and players and be in a lower property tax area. 

Also there is a billion things more to do in Miami than Buffalo or the surrounding area. 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:17 PM, BananaB said:

I’m not sure what’s not to understand. Name another wife on Twitter complaining about their husbands contract. Rachel is the only one I know of and I’d say the same about any other. Thought she should just stfu from the start and my opinion hasn’t changed. 

off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Ciarra (sp?) was posting a lot about Russell Wilson and how he was paid and treated in Seattle.

Not sure how many NFL wives have the social media presence and pull these two do.

Giselle is so high up the food chain, I feel the socials are beneath her.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:49 AM, machine gun kelly said:

It’s not the NFL’s responsibility to assess the tax implications in those states.  Besides, the game checks are taxed in the state they play in so when the Bills play in FL or TX, there is no state tax.  It would be impossible to manage.

In addition, I work in medical sales.  Now it’s not NFL$, but it’s for many of us multiple six figures.  I’ve never worked for a company that adjusts for sales people and mgrs that reside in NYC, Boston, and San Fran.

I do know most corporations with that kind of reach clearly adjust for cost of living differences. I wonder if tax burden is calculated or not? Not trying to flame or bash, genuinely interested.

For example a mortgage payment with an escrow account will have mortgage payments (TIPI) calculated with taxes and insurance included. I wonder if TIPI mortgage payments are factored in or not.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

Each state has different tax structures. Each structure is different. Even relationships between states is complicated (reciprocal agreements). NY taxes non-residents who earn in NY, and NY residents who earn in other states. It is obtrusive. For those that want to debate that last point, I ask you what NYS Tax Form IT-203 is?

I can't blame a player, who is likely on his last contract wanting to keep more of his money.

By the time the average American pays Fed Income tax, SSI, Medicare, state income tax, property tax, school tax, sales tax, city wage taxes, right to work taxes, sin tax, gas tax etc I am sure our tax burden is on par with Europe or Australia/ New Zealand.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:14 PM, papazoid said:

poyer has outperformed his contracts with buffalo.....only a few can say that.

its time to move on, he's old, lost a step and that playoff game vs cincy he was awful. 

his comments about taxes.....he aint wrong.....big advantage for teams in states with low taxes

hope he lands a big contract somewhere....just not with us....i want that money invested in the Oline

tip of the hat to poyer....a great bill

I feel the same. Poyer has been one of my 5 favorite Bills during the Josh rookie contract window. A real baller since being here.

At 31, and with Buffalo starting to feel the crunch of the Allen/ Diggs and Miller contracts, this team needs to get younger and cheaper in a hurry to make a run in JA's escalated, but bargain QB contract.

The 5 year window is closed. We will be saying the same about Hyde next year. Enjoy these type of players while they are here.

Edited by RocCityRoller

7 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

For the upteenth time, he DOES NOT live in Miami... he is already a state resident. Cost of living may be higher but the taxes are not... Google is your friend. 

He lives in Broward County, where the property tax rate is 2% , and the Cost of Living is still significantly higher than Buffalo.

Again, your just addicted to your own narrative. Cost of living includes many items, with several tax rates, but again, your too lazy to look that up. 

If the crux of your argument is he doesn't have to own a second home ...fine that would be true for any team....anywhere. 

I’ll keep it under this topic but if Hyde didn’t get hurt would Poyer have gotten an offer on another contract with the Bills? Not having or having them at full strength, Hyde, White and Poyer this year did put a lot of stress on the secondary.

5 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

He lives in Broward County, where the property tax rate is 2% , and the Cost of Living is still significantly higher than Buffalo.

Again, your just addicted to your own narrative. Cost of living includes many items, with several tax rates, but again, your too lazy to look that up. 

If the crux of your argument is he doesn't have to own a second home ...fine that would be true for any team....anywhere. 

Here is the paycheck breakdown for each state after taxes per a $5.6M salary:

New York

Where is your money going?

Gross Paycheck$233,333

Taxes45.47%$106,107

DETAILS 

FICA and State Insurance Taxes 2.48% $5,793

DETAILS 

Pre-Tax Deductions0.00%$0

DETAILS 

Post-Tax Deductions0.00%$0

Take Home Salary 52.04%

$121,433

Florida

GrossPaycheck$233,333

Taxes 36.34% $84,790 DETAILS 

FICA and State Insurance Taxes 2.48%$5,788

DETAILS Pre-Tax Deductions0.00%$0

DETAILS Post-Tax Deductions0.00%$0

Take Home Salary 61.18%

$142,755

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:31 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Each state has different tax structures. Each structure is different. Even relationships between states is complicated (reciprocal agreements). NY taxes non-residents who earn in NY, and NY residents who earn in other states. It is obtrusive. For those that want to debate that last point, I ask you what NYS Tax Form IT-203 is?

I can't blame a player, who is likely on his last contract wanting to keep more of his money.

By the time the average American pays Fed Income tax, SSI, Medicare, state income tax, property tax, school tax, sales tax, city wage taxes, right to work taxes, sin tax, gas tax etc I am sure our tax burden is on par with Europe or Australia/ New Zealand.

Every state with a state tax taxes out of state players for their game check.

If you earn your money out of state, you file the NYS income tax form and the other state's and get a tax credit to list on the NYS form.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

It's significant. In Florida, which is an extreme case, there is no state tax. So you simply pay nothing. 

Property tax, getting tags at the DMV, toll roads, etc. Are all a bit higher and it's more of a user tax. The more you do in Florida the more tax you pay. But a retiree or a football player who just kinda lives there but doesn't operate there comes out really cheap.

Guys, stop talking past each other when trying to compare state taxes. There's no need to have a mangled conversation because one is talking property tax while the other is talking income tax. Bright researchers have ironed it out by calculating the Total Tax Burden of a state that includes all the taxes. And guess who finishes the worse out of fifty states... New York! https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494

New York is #1 in total tax burden. Florida is number 45. Given Poyer's comments about taxes, and Tua Tagovailoa's birthday, and given what Rachel does with swim suits, I'd say he's gunning hard for Miami. I'd hate to face a motivated Poyer twice a year--even if he is geriatric.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, TheFunPolice said:

They are the kings of re-structures, that's for sure.  All those great moves have given them a sub .500 team the last 2 years in a weak division.

They still have more re-structures to do, they are still -$17M in the hole.  

I don't see them doing any better than .500 this year.

• Agree 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:11 PM, RichRiderBills said:

I will explain FL vs NY by my very real situation. I live in a town outside of Orlando and my best friend from child hold lives outside Rochester, I prefer my town he prefers his but each has  it's charms, both are very  nice. For the past 20 years my household income and his have been within $5k of each other and our houses until 5 years ago where within 20k of each other. I save $12-15k a year in income and property taxes combined compared to him, that works out to $250-300k over a couple decades. And on case you think I am rich me and my wife are teachers. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.