Looks like Poyer is more than willing to leave and play for Miami of all places.

Tipster19

5 hours ago, nucci said:

and Fangio is a great DC

Absolutely. I would have loved to see him come to Buffalo. Change up the scheme and utilize the players to their max. 

Instead, we have. Fraizer led defense with a failed scheme come playoff time.

Fans here will point to the regular season stats and be fooled that the defense is above average to great. 

History has a way to repeat itself. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Poyer is walking because he thinks Miami is better than Buffalo. He is walking because the Bills don't want to pay him. 

I agree with you there.

Point being, I don't think Poyer chooses a team that doesn't have a solid path to compete for a Lombardi Trophy. 

I believe he sees Miami as a team that's on the cusp of something special. Or at the very least a team that can compete and beat the Bills for the division. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Think About It GIF by IdentityTexas and Nevada are also states that have no state income tax and “better” weather than Buffalo.  Vegas and Houston currently have the 3rd and 5th most salary cap space.  Miami has the 25th most.  Just sayin…

Yea but there are way too many temptations to spend the money in Vegas. (Beyond a certain point) it's never about how much you earn but about how much you save. The off-season is an awfully long and boring time for such athletes. Vegas may be fine for those who have a home away from that town

34 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yea but there are way too many temptations to spend the money in Vegas. (Beyond a certain point) it's never about how much you earn but about how much you save. The off-season is an awfully long and boring time for such athletes. Vegas may be fine for those who have a home away from that town

Summerlin & Henderson are excellent places to live, much better than many places in my former homes of CA & NY. Vegas being all sin is a myth. Much bigger bang for your buck as far as housing goes too. And that includes Buffalo. 

Edited by uticaclub

Teams lose key free agents all the time the Eagles are about to lose arguably their best defensive lineman in Jevon Hargrove. The Cowboys literally are going to have no running backs at the start of free agency with Pollard leaving and Zeke getting cut. I

Such is life in the NFL.

Jordan was one of the guys who came to this team to start the turnaround but he’s ready to move on it happens. 

7 hours ago, eball said:

No one does.  It’s the most ridiculous code in existence.

It's intentional.. they were not stupid...they designed a system so complicated the average American has no idea all of the loopholes that exist, but be sure all the millionaires and billionaires do and take full advantage of them.  The system was designed for them to keep their wealth.

In regards to Poyer...Always get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late.  Belichick was the master of it and it almost always worked to his advantage.

Edited by Big Turk

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

As a resident of New York, California and Florida, I can say that not having state income taxes can save you a lot of money. Also when housing taxes are lower, it makes a difference. All money being equal, you get a lot more bang for the buck in Florida.

I don't understand how any of this is a thing

1) Poyer is a free agent

2) He is supposed to do things to drum up is own value- this is likely his last contract

3) He and his wife are from Florida I think-maybe they want to go home?

4) No offense to Buffalo, but if you are not from there it may not seem a great place to move-I myself prefer palm trees to snow

5) The Bills likely love him but are tight on $$-if he can get a big pay day it's likely elsewhere

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Care to explain why?  

You talk about how a rich person can have someone on their payroll can avoid paying taxes then describe an ordinary person paying next to nothing in taxes.  

And sure there are things athletes can do to lessen tax burden involving starting businesses and whatnot but they pay plenty. And playing for a team in a state with no income tax does attract athletes.  It’s well known, agents sell it, teams sell it and players know it.  It is considered when comparing offers you can bank that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is what is happening with Poyer, but the general point is one I have wondered about too. I don't know enough about the US tax system though to really understand whether it is significant.

Some states tax systems use sales and income tax as primary revenue and others use others ways including fees.

I always thought a team in Delaware like the Dover Deluge would have a financial competitive advantage since NFL does not care anymore if you cut number of spectators you sell tickets to any more.  Lots of corporations to buy PSLs and boxes too.  Probably large number of visiting team fans but mostly quiet.

7 hours ago, prissythecat said:

this is an overly simplistic analysis.  players get taxed based on where each football game is.  so if a dolphin team member plays 9 games in states where the tax is not zero, they will have a considerable tax bill still.

This is also why you have an agent and somebody knowledgeable doing your taxes. Imagine being a MLB, NHL or NBA player and sorting all that out. What implications, if any, do international games have? 

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Miami also has some of the nicest beaches and nightlife in America and Poyer has a wife that's built for that lifestyle.

I'm sure there's nothing that a husband would enjoy more  than his wife 'living the nightlife' 🙃

Safeties are not paid that well, for the NFL that is, not 'real life'. And he is 32, it doesn't help. But it's crazy how Poyer and Hyde were such a force. Almost no deep plays happened or confusion in the coverage since they have been here,

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Players don't take discounts for any reason. There is no such thing as a player taking a hometown discount. Here's what the man himself said:

"Figure out a way," you can guess what he means. He's chasing one last big contract. The Bills understandably don't want to give it to him.

On one hand I feel bad for Poyer. No one could ever accuse him of making business decisions in games. You could easily argue that he was underpaid relative to the level of play he gave us in his time here. He might feel a little bitter especially with his wife and his agent constantly in his ear.

But by the end of the season you could see that he is slowing down. In the divisional round he was legitimately awful and I think personally responsible for the first two TDs the Bengals scored. Some team with a QB on a rookie deal can afford to pay him more than he should get based on his age. The Dolphins could make sense. For the Bills we have to rebalance the resources spent on offense versus the resources spent on defense. Letting Poyer go at his age is an easy decision in that context, even moreso than Edmunds.

Every player is different. It was widely speculated that Milano took less money to stay in Buffalo because we were building something special. Fast forward a few years, what we built was nice, but its far from the nicest house on the block. The luster of the process is gone. I’m not even mad Poyer is leaving and we have no idea what was said behind the scenes. 

10 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t think that he could say any more than what he already did in the following article.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/2/24/23614259/does-jordan-poyer-want-to-play-for-the-miami-dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-mike-mcdaniel-buffalo-bills

1) Would rather pay as little tax as possible.

2) Likes warm weather.

3) Likes Tua.

Yeah? So? The article says nothing. Does it say he doesn't like guys on the Bills?

Poyer lives in Florida. Specifically in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, according to the Internet.

This all clearly adds up to the fact that he likes money and warm weather. Having friends somewhere doesn't mean he wants to play there. But he has nothing against it. Why would he?

I'd say this is a nothingburger but it's less than that. There's not even a burger there.

He'd be open to playing  Miami. Duh. Why not? He'll go wherever everything lines up most nicely for him. Probably 90% of that will be money. 

Why get butthurt about a player wanting to get paid and be in nice weather? I’ve moved for more money and better weather before. No one criticized me. In fact, many complimented my decision to do what was best for my career. Poyer’s only obligation is to his family. His family lives in South Florida. If he has a chance to play for the Dolphins and get paid, it makes a lot of sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.