Cinci O Line injuries

ProcessTruster

36 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

All this said, I’m with others. I’m not sure the Bills DEs can take advantage of this. Rousseau would seem to be in the best spot, but when was his last “big” game? 

One sack isn’t going to do anything. 

Sacks are great, but its not really about the sacks.  The key is just getting pressure on Burrow and disrupting his timing.  If we allow Burrow time to throw to this group of WR's, we are in trouble defensively.  But Burrow and this Bengals offense has shown they are far less effective when getting pressure on Burrow.  And we have been pretty good at bringing pressure even without Von Miller.  

Will love to see 4 to 5 sacks, but we also don't need to get those to disrupt Cincy this week, just keep making Burrow uncomfortable back there and don't give him the time to carve up the defense to this insanely talented set of weapons he gets to throw to.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I find the constant strain of "we suck" to be annoying. But, what are you going to do. Facts and stats mean nothing. Apparently the smell test or the eye test of the fan base takes all precedence. I think it is beyond ridiculous.

If you don't like Leslie's D then that's okay. But the players are not underachieving busts and they certainly don't suck. They are playing exactly as Leslie wants them to play. The on-field performance says that it works pretty darned well.

• Thank you (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Their backups arent terrible players.   Probably not going to as big a deal as people will make out.  

The issue will be continuity.  The Bengals OL have played every game through the season together.  Now, there is essentially a new OL playing together for the "first" time.  The question is not some much the talent level (obviously lower) but if they can gel with one of week's practice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Im with the others as infuriating as it is with all the draft capital and FA money spent on the Dline, without Von we don't have anyone to really exploit weaknesses.  Dolphind had a 3rd string Qb in and we almost lost 

To be fair we didn’t almost lose because of the defense. The offense and special teams kept Miami in the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

None of our edge rushers are very consistent. Constantly getting pushed wayyyy up field. We are really gonna need Eddy O to have a big game 

This might help a little but I'm not getting all excited from this news. Last year didn't the Titans sack Joe like 9x and he still won. The only reliable blitzer we have is Milano. Edmunds has no clue what to do with a blitz. Groot & Ed will have to carry this front 4.  God we needed Von for these next couple games.....

18 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I find the constant strain of "we suck" to be annoying. But, what are you going to do. Facts and stats mean nothing. Apparently the smell test or the eye test of the fan base takes all precedence. I think it is beyond ridiculous.

If you don't like Leslie's D then that's okay. But the players are not underachieving busts and they certainly don't suck. They are playing exactly as Leslie wants them to play. The on-field performance says that it works pretty darned well.

After watching our #1 defense get shredded with 13 seconds left, I could care less about stats & analytics. The only thing that matters to me IS the smell & eye test.  

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And this is pretty much what most of us have noticed. Von was having a really solid year and was going to end up with 12+ sacks. Having him on the field also opened things up for everyone else because of the attention he commanded. We miss him tremendously. Another guy who has had an effect on this stat? Jordan Phillips. He hasn't been healthy in quite some time and is a beast in this defense getting pressure from the interior. 

• Agree 1

This will be the test to determine Frazier’s value as a coach. You have a weakness on the O-line so how do you exploit it. Do you try and send extra rushers or use more people in coverage. I’m predicting we shut down their run game and make Burrow an underneath thrower. If we hold them under 24, I like our chances.

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Makes me question DVOA. Because without Von the pass rush is non existent.

Your are correct - along with the other geniuses here....In spite of our win loss record, points for vs points against, point differential, defensive rankings, AFCE standing, #2 seed, 4 sacks last week, historically low YPP last week.....The Bills suck...the defense sucks, the pass rush suckd, Frazier sucks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Your are correct - along with the other geniuses here....In spite of our win loss record, points for vs points against, point differential, defensive rankings, AFCE standing, #2 seed, 4 sacks last week, historically low YPP last week.....The Bills suck...the defense sucks, the pass rush suckd, Frazier sucks

what about the ol’ eye test though! 

• Haha (+1) 3

• Simon changed the title to Cinci O Line injuries
25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Bengals are a super quick passing offense (Burrow has 2nd fastest release this year) and Frazier loooooves leaving the short stuff wide open. I’m expecting plenty of snaps where one of our DL smokes their blocker but the ball is already out.

And that's why you play more press which we never do.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

After watching our #1 defense get shredded with 13 seconds left, I could care less about stats & analytics. The only thing that matters to me IS the smell & eye test.  

Still living that old nightmare, are we?

• Haha (+1) 1

The fact that Burrow gets the ball out as fast as anyone and that our front 4 is so inconsistent getting home I kinda feel it won't be that big a deal for them. Frazier needs to have our DBs  bump and disrupt the routes at the line and throw off their timing patterns which we hope will make Burrow take more time to find an open guy. Hopefully then our front can take advantage of their OL injuries.

Of course it's JMHO.....

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, TH3 said:

We suck...just less than all of the other teams.

You will see more of an impact from Rousseau and epenesa this week.  Kind of a narrative going around that bills edge rush was bad Sunday. Basham actually had a really good day on pressures, but the biggest factor is the Shanahan system is a quick read quick release offense, makes its tough to get to the qb. This week will be different, Burroughs release times say he gets it out quick most of the time but loves looking down feild for chase and holds the ball and will take sacks. I predict we really feel Rousseaus pressence this game.

My large concern is there has been some pretty terrible officiating already in the playoffs, Bosa had every right to be pissed. He shouldn't act like child and hurt his team but he was being drug to the ground on 2 td passes directly in front of the refs, game changing blatant no calls. Then the roughing the passer on cousins was mind blowing. There's always bad calls but it feels like it's a matter of time until the bills get a terrible game changing call.

Edited by Norcalbillsfan

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

OK then. Next...

If the Bills d-line, in which they spent 2-1st round picks, 2-2nds, and handed out free agent contacts to Jones, Settle, Lawson and Phillips (leaving out Miller for obvious reasons) doesn’t come through this Sunday, you’ll be fine with that?

Seriously?

The Bills Powers that be put an awful lot of resources into the front 4. If they don’t put up at crunch time please tell

me how that can’t be considered a failure?

I’m as big of a Bills supporter as there is here but it’s time for these guys to be a force.

Edited by Beast

We shouldn’t be rushing 3 more then half the time.  

8 guys in coverage needs to be mixed in throughout the game.  

Lots of Dorsey play calling understandably but Leslie needs to call a great game.  

I think the best called game on D and only game post the bye we’ve had was New England the first game. 

We need a well called game on D.  

It's going to be a real challenge for the Bills.  Obviously, they have to clean up their execution.  Against Miami, the defensive linen did not get a lot of pressure on Thompson.  They generated some with a little blitzing.  That will be a riskier tactic facing Joe Cool.  They would be far better off if they can generate pressure with the front four.  Regardless of the relative quality of the backups who could be playing next Sunday, they are backups for a reason, and will probably be at least somewhat less effective protecting Burrows and opening holes in the running game than the starters would be.  On the other side, Buffalo looks to be about as healthy as it could be aside from the key players on IR.  From the sound of it, Dane Jackson's injury is a minor one and he may be available.  More importantly, Kaiir Elam played really well in Jackson's absence.  He's obviously been maturing as a player and honing his technique.  Tre White is also improving week to week and may be as close to 100% as we could possibly hope for.  Together they controlled Miami's elite WRs pretty well.  The close score in the Miami game is directly related to the turnovers the Bills had on offense.  That's the Biggest thing the team has to clean up.

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Can't wait to watch the Bills get held all game and never have it called.  This happens when you don't have superstar NFL talent on the D-Line: You'll get less holding calls. 

No, this happens when the league is hyperconscious about protecting quarterbacks -- particularly pocket passers -- above all else.  The refs will know that Burrow is behind a patchwork line and they'll probably let a few things slide.  We saw all the holding the Miami line did against us.  Get ready for another three hours of that.  The DL just needs to win its matchups and not assume that holds will be called.+

The betting line for the Bengals/Bills game has changed from Cincinnati +4/+140 to +4 1/2/+160 because of the offensive line injuries. I think the line will move even further to +5 or even +5 1/2 if THREE are listed as out (La'el Collins being the guaranteed OUT of course, obviously) as Cappa's status is up in the air..

1 hour ago, H2o said:

And this is pretty much what most of us have noticed. Von was having a really solid year and was going to end up with 12+ sacks. Having him on the field also opened things up for everyone else because of the attention he commanded. We miss him tremendously. Another guy who has had an effect on this stat? Jordan Phillips. He hasn't been healthy in quite some time and is a beast in this defense getting pressure from the interior. 

Jordan Phillips will help our pass rush. He and Shaq have tremendous chemistry. 

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

No, this happens when the league is hyperconscious about protecting quarterbacks -- particularly pocket passers -- above all else.  The refs will know that Burrow is behind a patchwork line and they'll probably let a few things slide.  We saw all the holding the Miami line did against us.  Get ready for another three hours of that.  The DL just needs to win its matchups and not assume that holds will be called.+

Just had this conversation today - it was about Bosa getting held and whether or not their is a conscious effort to let Oline get away with a bit more holding then normal. 

I don’t really care - so long as it’s both ways.  

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jordan Phillips will help our pass rush. He and Shaq have tremendous chemistry. 

He only helps if he PLAYS. WE NEED HIM.

Can't wait to see what his status is tomorrow and after.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.