Bill's offense highest graded of the weekend Games. Defense second best.

Chaos

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

That chart says we also had the #1 rated pass blocking unit- as we gave up 7 sacks. 

I think that was on Josh.  Could be Dorsey too, but there were plenty of plays where guys underneath were open, Josh decided to let it rip. 

Its possible (although nobody knows for sure) that Dorsey told Josh "if you see Cover 0 go deep". Maybe unlikely but possible.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not sure why we're excluding the Cowboys/Bucs game

I'd rate the offensive performances as:

1) Cowboys

2) 49ers

3) Giants

4) Vikings

5) Bills

Those other teams might not have had the explosive plays that we did, but they moved the ball more efficiently and didn't commit turnovers. 

The Cowboys no one will argue that today.  

The Vikings?  No.  Absolutely not.  

The 49ers played the worst D in the playoffs.

The Giants fine.  But they also played a terrible defense.  

The Bills played the toughest D of those 3 teams by a mile.  And scored the 2nd most points this round.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Watching Bills games is either the best thing for my overall cardiac wellbeing, or the worst, considering the interval palpitations my heart endures along the way…landing this plane was a doozy!

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bl4nkhi7ucyzdaq7zzv

Not sure how you got that camera in my living room.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I’m with you

Josh should attack apple deep - after he got toasted by Huntley I was licking my chops FOR Allen to hit Diggs or Davis deep

Vikings ????

The Vikings only had 8 possessions and had 3 TD, 1 FG, 3 punts, and a turnover on downs.

The Bills had 16 possessions and had 4 TD, 2 FG, 3 turnovers, 5 punts, a turnover on downs, and a clock killing drive. 

Vikings offensive performance was better than the Bills, and I don't think it's all that close. 

Kirk throwing it short of the sticks on 4th down to end the game was hilariously bad, but I'm trying to rate their game as a whole, not just 1 play. 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
we had 2 FG not 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

that might be because they graded the oline pretty well though. A lot of those sacks were not on oline. But agree on the face of it the numbers are not the whole story. 

The game was close not because the Bills played badly but because they did some dumb stuff. Kick off out of bounds, sack fumble for a TD, two interceptions, a dropped touchdown and another drop that would have set us up in the redzone.... it has been that way all year is my concern. So many of these games would have been blow outs but for mistakes that kept them close. We have actually been good in 1 score games this year (remember when that was a thing?) we are 7-3 in them.

Yeah I took the blitzes into consideration.  They made things more difficult and those are on Josh, not the OL.  I just can’t fathom a situation where our OL was #1 pats blocking out of 12 teams after our QB was sacked 7 times. 

agreed 💯.  The close games we’ve played the last 2/3 of the season are a result of self inflicted wounds.  Which is good and bad.  Good because we control our destiny and have experience winning close games. Bad because self inflicted wounds can be deadly. 

I mean the Bills were planning on making the Dolphins pay with their use of Cover Zero.... but either overthrows or dropped passes caused this to be much closer... even with the TOs. If Shakir doesn't drop the 50 yard pass when it's 17-9 or Allen hits Gabe down the sideline on two plays the game isn't really all that close. Dolphins kept running Cover Zero because the Bills didn't connect on those deep shots as much. 

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

#1 offense  ( not sure how this can be when josh ranked 10th out of 12 in QBR)

#2 defense (this makes sense )

special teams must have killed us...lol

Because it's a play-to-play ranking and the grades are probably based on a positive/negative/neutral grading system. Bills had a few negative plays at critical times that really impacted the game.

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

Feel free to hate on PFF. But this is how they saw the games this weekend. 

image.thumb.png.820deef9ec2f18abd8aa8cc87b873e0f.png

Josh Allen led offense #1.   Defense second best after the Ravens.  

I agree on the D, but the eye test it felt like the Giants O played better.. and well last night Dallas looked like a machine after the 1st quarter. 

We won.  Despite all the mistakes, we won.  Miami's pot-vaping coach can continue to believe they should've; could've won the game, but the truth is, we whipped them.  We also whipped ourselves, which I hope they've gotten all the self-whipping out of the way.  

The mistakes we made were nothing compared to the fumble by the Raven's quarterback.  That changed the playoffs.  

We won.  Right?

4 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

We won.  Despite all the mistakes, we won.  Miami's pot-vaping coach can continue to believe they should've; could've won the game, but the truth is, we whipped them.  We also whipped ourselves, which I hope they've gotten all the self-whipping out of the way.  

The mistakes we made were nothing compared to the fumble by the Raven's quarterback.  That changed the playoffs.  

We won.  Right?

Contrary to popular opinion, the Bills really aren’t good when they win close games. They’re only good if they blow the opponent out. So much for winning being the “ only thing”

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Outside of two to three drives(?) the Bills moved the ball offensively with ease thanks to Josh… unfortunately him and the offense have also developed a habit of occasional sloppiness and over aggressiveness leading to turnovers. 

They won’t beat the Bengals, Chiefs or whomever represents the NFC unless it stops… I’m doubtful it will though because they’ve done it all year. 

Yeah, I’ve heard this all year. Bills don’t run it enough, Josh Allen is a turnover machine, Dorsey’s unimaginative, Skill positions aren’t good enough, pass rush nonexistent, fill in the blank. And yet here we are on an 8 game win streak despite the almost unfair amount of injuries and chaos this team has faced. Of course I wanted them to obliterate the Dolphins on Sunday, but it is what it is. Whatever problems the Bills have they make up for it w/ heart and resiliency. The Bengals almost lost to the Ravens and their backup QB, but nobody seems to question them for some reason.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean they were explosive and scored a bunch but they also helped keep Miami in the game and helped give them the lead too.

I just would have preferred them to not be so hellbent on trying to blow the Dolphins out. That would have likely made the game far easier to watch as a Bills fan and far less competitive.

It looked like early season Bills going for the kill shot and knock out punch while letting a hapless opponent back into the game.  Bills offense and special teams gave the Dolphins amazing field position such that they needed to go 82 yards to score 24 points.   

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere but I thought, of all the brief write-ups I've read of the Bills game, this was the best. From football outsiders:

What Happened: The Bills took an early 17-0 lead, then indulged in their all-too-common urge for autoerotic asphyxiation. Three Josh Allen turnovers, a few not-quite-caught Allen bombs, and some missed tackles later, the Bills trailed 24-20 midway through the third quarter while Skylar Thompson and the Dolphins looked on in awkward astonishment.

A Kaiir Elam interception and Cole Beasley touchdown gave the Bills back the lead, but they weren't done choking themselves for jollies: coordinator Ken Dorsey broke out the Nothing But Hero Balls game plan to "protect" that lead, and the Dolphins pulled within a field goal on a Jeff Wilson touchdown run to cap a long drive.

That's when Mike McDaniel's hybrid edibles kicked in and he forgot what sport he coached. McDaniel began calling timeouts because he did not like the defensive formation as if he were Mike Krzyzewski. With no timeouts left when trailing by three, McDaniel took forever to get a fourth-and-1 call into the huddle, resulting in a delay-of-game penalty that led to a Bills defensive stop which (essentially) iced the game. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/bills-vs-bills-bengals-survive-giants-leap-forward

• Agree 1

I find all the “Josh was throwing picks all willy nilly out there” a bit confusing.  The one to Brown probably should have been caught had Brown now slowed down - if nothing else, should have been like a punt.  The one to Beasley literally hit him. The narrative reads like Josh was trying to throw the game away… :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills have been the most complete team in the league this year. #1 rated team overall DVOA.

49ers are the hottest team right now. #1 team weighted DVOA. Bills are #2.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-efficiency/2022/regular

That rating alone won't win you the Super Bowl, but I think this the most resilient Bills team we've seen yet and that gives them an edge.

Everybody has been gunning for the League darling (preseason darling at least) this year.... I think our road has been harder than ever, and I've been impressed by their ability to win these close games....I mean I'd rather we looked as we did against the Rams/ Titans, but you knew that wasn't gonna last.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Would we really want the Bills running a checkdown offense? To beat these remaining teams Bills are going to have put at least 30 on the board. 

Miami blitzes all the time. They get plenty of sacks on Josh but also get massively burned. Bengals won’t do that. Josh will take the underneath stuff and we will run more. They will put 30 plus up and win. 

I don’t expect to see Josh to get crazy and throw deep into double coverage. May need Knox and RB’s more. Josh certainly needs to protect the ball when rushed and use the quicker throws if needed.I think he hears literally everyone say how reckless he’s been. He knows this better than anyone. He adjusts and Bills win. 

I really like PFF, but without explanation of the model used here I'm highly incredulous. Minnesota was ***** awful on offense - everybody saw it. Additionally, San Francisco dominated and looked highly polished. The Giants played well above their standard and the Jags were magnificent in the 2nd half and atrocious in the first.

Based on watching the games, I would have expected a model that would have resulting in ranking more like:

SF

DAL

NYG
BUF
JAX
SEA
BAL
CIN
MIN
MIA
LAC

Edited by BullBuchanan

22 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Miami blitzes all the time. They get plenty of sacks on Josh but also get massively burned. Bengals won’t do that. Josh will take the underneath stuff and we will run more. They will put 30 plus up and win. 

I don’t expect to see Josh to get crazy and throw deep into double coverage. May need Knox and RB’s more. Josh certainly needs to protect the ball when rushed and use the quicker throws if needed.I think he hears literally everyone say how reckless he’s been. He knows this better than anyone. He adjusts and Bills win. 

Well he was 3 incompletions Shakur, Knox, Diggs from 6 td passes for some QBs that’s a career for Josh people consider that a bad game 

• Like (+1) 1

The misses on those deep passes were mostly very narrow misses.  Buffalo attempted all those deep passes because Miami's defense loaded up to try and create pressure and defend Buffalo's run game and short passing game, in essence daring the Bills to pass the ball deep against their very good CBs.  I don't think Cincinnati's CBs are as good as Miami's.  Cincinnati's defensive ends are good.  I think Buffalo will probably play a little closer to the vest than they did Miami.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

I find all the “Josh was throwing picks all willy nilly out there” a bit confusing.  The one to Brown probably should have been caught had Brown now slowed down - if nothing else, should have been like a punt.  The one to Beasley literally hit him. The narrative reads like Josh was trying to throw the game away… :beer: 

We all expected us to blow out Miami, and we really should have.  Who knows, maybe with everybody expecting an epic game with Cinci, we blow them out.  Cincy looked pretty bad on offense Sunday (17 points) and are decimated at Oline.

The only thing that matters is the ring.  Stafford threw a season ending INT last year with 2 minutes left vs SF.  Right in the guys midsection.  The ball is dropped and next thing you know Stafford is a hero.

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

That chart says we also had the #1 rated pass blocking unit- as we gave up 7 sacks. 

I think that was on Josh.  Could be Dorsey too, but there were plenty of plays where guys underneath were open, Josh decided to let it rip. 

Including the ones he completed, but no one is complaining about those passes. He had two deep drops,  had he gone short WRs could have dropped those passes as well. There is no guarantee he’s gonna complete a pass just because it’s shorter. Definitely not with this group of WRs, there is a reason why Beane picked up two old farts for help in December. 

Edited by BananaB

9 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not sure why we're excluding the Cowboys/Bucs game

I'd rate the offensive performances as:

1) Cowboys

2) 49ers

3) Giants

4) Vikings

5) Bills

Those other teams might not have had the explosive plays that we did, but they moved the ball more efficiently and didn't commit turnovers. 

You can rank them that way. And are simply wrong. 

Andrew Russell

@Andrew_Russell7

·

Follow

With Von Miller, the Bills ranked 4th in the NFL in pressure rate (34.4%) with 4 or less pass rushers. Since his injury, the Bills are 27th in the NFL in pressure rate (25.4%) with 4 or less pass rushers.

11:11 AM · Jan 17, 2023

Read the full conversation on Twitter

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

You can rank them that way. And are simply wrong. 

I've had a lot of negative reactions to my rankings, but have yet to see anyone give a reason why that's wrong. Maybe I should've swapped the 49ers and Cowboys.

1) Cowboys: A

10 possessions: 5 TD, 4 punts, and end of game

2) 49ers: A

10 possession: 4 TD, 4FG , 1 punt, and end of game

3) Giants: A

9 possessions: 4 TD, 1 FG, 2 punts, end of half and end of game

4) Vikings: A-

8 possessions: 3 TD, 1 FG, 3 punts, turnover on downs

5) Bills: B

16 possessions: 4 TD, 2 FG, 3 turnovers, 5 punts, turnover on downs, and end of game

Are we curving these grades based on quality of the defense we're playing against? That's the only consideration I could see for MAYBE moving the Bills up this list. It's not like Miami has a good defense. 

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

I hate to say it, but this must makes me SMH all the more at the PFF grading.

Not that the defense wasn't very effective, it was

But sorry, you throw 2 picks and fumble twice, that is NOT great offense.

21 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Sorry, but this Offense doesn't pass the smell test.

(Statistically speaking 67% of you won’t get what I'm saying) ;)

Smells like a win to me

58 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

This thread is like listening to 6 stoners throw out random unrelated thoughts. Very enjoyable. 

Had a group of stoners working out in the gym I go to last night.

I never understood working out while high.....makes that workout last FOREVER

21 hours ago, Chaos said:

Huge play in the game was the Beasley int and pff wouldn’t have credited that against josh.  He also gets credit for the deep pass to shakir and the Knox  ‘drop’ in the end zone 

from pffs point of view josh had a 400+ yard 4 or 5 td game with an int and a fumble 

a lot of those deep balls were the right read too and just barely missed 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Huge play in the game was the Beasley int and pff wouldn’t have credited that against josh.  He also gets credit for the deep pass to shakir and the diggs ‘drop’ in the end zone 

from pffs point of view josh had a 400+ yard 4 or 5 td game with an int and a fumble 

The ratings are for the offense as a whole. Not Allen. It includes all the turnovers. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

The ratings are for the offense as a whole. Not Allen. It includes all the turnovers. 

I’m not sure that turnover would’ve counted against Beasley either though…I’d assume the offensive grade is somewhat of an average of all the individual performances.  

the original post mentioned Allen’s grade separately too…that’s what I was originally commenting on 

10 hours ago, dma0034 said:

I mean the Bills were planning on making the Dolphins pay with their use of Cover Zero.... but either overthrows or dropped passes caused this to be much closer... even with the TOs. If Shakir doesn't drop the 50 yard pass when it's 17-9 or Allen hits Gabe down the sideline on two plays the game isn't really all that close. Dolphins kept running Cover Zero because the Bills didn't connect on those deep shots as much. 

It’s crazy how much that shakir drop changed the game. Cost us  3-7 points and added probably 10 points to dolphins score.  Could’ve easily been a 17 point swing.  Although we may not have snagged that extra fg just before halftime 

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Smells like a win to me

Had a group of stoners working out in the gym I go to last night.

I never understood working out while high.....makes that workout last FOREVER

“Dude, you’re lifting like 100 million pounds!!”

12 hours ago, papazoid said:

#1 offense  ( not sure how this can be when josh ranked 10th out of 12 in QBR)

#2 defense (this makes sense )

special teams must have killed us...lol

Qbr accounts for the plays as they happened…pff analyzes each play and assigns the players a point value for how they performed individually.  So something like that 50 yard bomb to shakir or the Knox dropped td goes down as a max positive play for josh even though it was incomplete.  

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean they were explosive and scored a bunch but they also helped keep Miami in the game and helped give them the lead too.

I just would have preferred them to not be so hellbent on trying to blow the Dolphins out. That would have likely made the game far easier to watch as a Bills fan and far less competitive.

Then all we would hear is how the Bills lack that killer instinct to put teams away.

Of the 13 passes for 20 yards or more (a lot):  6 completions (1 for a touchdown, 1 for 52 yards to Diggs), 6 incompletions, 1 interception.  That is taking a lot of deep shots but Josh has the arm and all in all that is not the "well below 50%" completion rate that one poster claimed.  We're going to live with Josh or die with him, but I think the majority of us (and all the Bills) love what he brings to this team.  I trust them as a team to do what is needed to win.

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Then all we would hear is how the Bills lack that killer instinct to put teams away.

If we won 28-10 and the Dolphins never got within 10 points we would have? 

If we did that would mean a lot of people don't really understand situational football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.