Steelers radio debates signing Tremaine Edmunds

Einstein

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not spending a dime over 14-15M for Edmunds. I don't care if it's an extension or tag.  We have way too many issues on the OL and WR to have the luxury of keeping 49. Yes he's played well this season but his time in Buffalo is numbered.

I don’t think the Bills feel we have too many issues on the OL. Saffold is the only player I think could get replaced next year, I also see a situation where all 5 starters come back. The OL has been much better lately.

I would like them to draft an OG early next draft to compete with Saffold.

Edmunds is interesting. He’s a multi year captain but I don’t feel his leadership as a fan. Typically a MLB captain is the vocal leader of the defense. He could lead behind the scenes. 

We will find out exactly what Edmunds means to the Bills very soon. I will be ok with any decision they make on Edmunds. That goes for Ed Oliver as well. I don’t need them to sign either one but I would be ok with either signing.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

fHe needed to take an even bigger step than he has this year for me to be worried about him leaving.

he didn’t. he’s good and a top 12 linebacker in this league (I think?) but you can’t overpay for him. 

I rather use resources to make a solid offensive line. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tremaine Edmunds is Stephon Gilmore. He’s a player that Bills fans don’t respect or understand how good he is. 

we have been spoiled by average to above average play at linebacker for many, many years. while mcdermott and co. can coach a player up to be successful, especially at LB, edmunds is a very important piece of this defense. that everyone outside of buffalo has such respect for him is telling.

if we lose frazier and need to fill the most important part of our defense with a rookie who calls the signals then we are in trouble.

i don't know if we can afford poyer and edmunds but we need to do our best. me thinks poyer gets signed soon.

also, i seem to remember a few times milano called plays without edmunds playing. it didn't go well, it seemed to stress him out.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

we have been spoiled by average to above average play at linebacker for many, many years. while mcdermott and co. can coach a player up to be successful, especially at LB, edmunds is a very important piece of this defense. that everyone outside of buffalo has such respect for him is telling.

if we lose frazier and need to fill the most important part of our defense with a rookie who calls the signals then we are in trouble.

i don't know if we can afford poyer and edmunds but we need to do our best. me thinks poyer gets signed soon.

also, i seem to remember a few times milano called plays without edmunds playing. it didn't go well, it seemed to stress him out.

I mean really how hard is it to call plays in… he’s just passing on information he’s not Payton Manning calling his own play, or switching the defense at last second. I think edmunds is a average guy and he doesn’t make a difference when we play KC. Or CIN. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I mean really how hard is it to call plays in… he’s just passing on information he’s not Payton Manning calling his own play, or switching the defense at last second. I think edmunds is a average guy and he doesn’t make a difference when we play KC. Or CIN. 

It's very difficult because it's not just a. Signal call it is getting it timely and matching the lineup.

You have about 10 seconds to read and announce the play. This is important because the offense can lineup quick. Once called you must make sure the players are in position, the right gap, etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Its harder than you think.  You may pass the play call on but you're also coaching on the field, and likely responsible for moving your front seven around if they are out of place.  Don't underestimate that role.   I am not the guys biggest fan but he is a top 5-10 player at his position in the league.

• Agree 1

I've never been a critic of Edmunds, and I'm glad he's playing well.  At the price point we're talking about, I'd rather draft another MLB.  We're going to have to let some good players walk at some point, and unfortunately Edmunds just happens to be on the upper end of that range.

24 minutes ago, 97bills said:

you have to diagnose the lineup of the offense and make sure we have matching schemes in 10 seconds.

when is the last time you saw Edmunds call a timeout when he saw the offense? He doesn't do that, not since he was a rookie. he studies enough that he doesn't face surprises. think of other teams or games you watch on tv. it's not uncommon to see the mlb call a TO when they can't read the offense.

the next time you're watching the game and when the offense lines up - in 5 seconds diagnose which coverage we are (cover 0,1,2,etc) and determine if we have a 3 down lineman front, which side is strong side and if we need zone or man based on what the offense is doing and who lines up where. it's not easy. i've only seen a couple of other fans able to do this in a timely manner. and those fans are like Romo used to be and telegraph the play.

in a general game when i am in person, in good viewing i can diagnose at least half of the plays pre snap. the houston playoff game was super fun because it was so easy with how basic our offense was i called two entire series pre snap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think the Bills feel we have too many issues on the OL. Saffold is the only player I think could get replaced next year, I also see a situation where all 5 starters come back. The OL has been much better lately.

I would like them to draft an OG early next draft to compete with Saffold.

Edmunds is interesting. He’s a multi year captain but I don’t feel his leadership as a fan. Typically a MLB captain is the vocal leader of the defense. He could lead behind the scenes. 

We will find out exactly what Edmunds means to the Bills very soon. I will be ok with any decision they make on Edmunds. That goes for Ed Oliver as well. I don’t need them to sign either one but I would be ok with either signing.

Dawkins, Morse, Bates, Brown and Doyle are the only OL on our roster who are not UFAs this offseason. 

I am curious to see how this DeMar Hamlin situation is going to impact these players when it comes to contracts and leaving buffalo.  They preach being a family and it showed this past week how close they are.  Going through a traumatic experience like that will only further that bond.  I wouldn't be shocked to see players give team friendly deals to keep the gang together.  Just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tremaine Edmunds is Stephon Gilmore. He’s a player that Bills fans don’t respect or understand how good he is. 

So like Gilmore, he doesn’t love the town more than the money, and won’t stay for peanuts + good vibes. Thanks for setting proper expectations. 

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds took his rookie contract, as many players do, to become a pro bowl LB. He plays every down and calls the defensive signals. He plays through injury and now has started to put his imprint on wins with more instinctual impactful playmaking. I know our cap flexibility is thin but at 24, he’s got 6 to 8 years of game changing production. He must be retained.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Tremaine does a lot for what our Defense asks from him. I don't get the hate for him on this board. He is probably due 13-15M/yr and I don't think we'd be better off at the position without him. We aren't drafting high and I dunno that we are going to be able to replace him through the draft or FA without spending about what he's going to sign for anyway.

He’s going to make a lot more than 13-15 million per.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Edmunds took his rookie contract, as many players do, to become a pro bowl LB. He plays every down and calls the defensive signals. He plays through injury and now has started to put his imprint on wins with more instinctual impactful playmaking. I know our cap flexibility is thin but at 24, he’s got 6 to 8 years of game changing production. He must be retained.

I couldn't agree more man. Yeah some of us Bills fans have become insanely spoiled. He's a really good LB. Fans are mad annoying, they think every player is going to be the Josh Allen of his respective position. He's literally getting better and better every week.

Seeing as Roquan Smith just got that huge contract that has reset the market i think we can basically bet that Edmunds is a goner ! 

He like a lot of players will look to get the truck backed up to the front door with as much money as it can possibly hold & i don't see the Bills paying him that unless the cap just goes way up it's just not going to happen .

I hate it because Edmunds i think is having a great year & if not for this contract there may have been a chance of him staying but not now . It's been nice Thanks Edmunds see you down the road ...

I'll bet (willing to put my $ where my mouth is...to a degree...as well) the Bills will do everything in their power to keep Edmunds, as they should. I imagine he'll take a little less to stay. I also imagine Josh will make an adjustment to help with it.

Allen 40M, Diggs 20M, Miller 20M, Milano 13M, Tre, Po, Hyde, Oliver, Morse, you have to choose at some point. I don’t think he’s impactful enough to justify 20M on.  Maybe it’s his role, maybe it’s the player, but aside from the fact he makes the defense better than having a back up in the field, he’s not a guy that you really notice.  That’s not a guy I’m paying too end money for.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, boyst said:

I also, i seem to remember a few times milano called plays without edmunds playing. it didn't go well, it seemed to stress him out.

When Milano was matched with Klein the caller was Klein probably due to experience in Coach McD's defense from when he was part of Panthers.

• Like (+1) 1

Who are the Bills now, the Pittsburgh Pirates/Cincinnati Reds of the NFL? Bring high draft picks along, watch them grow and stumble along the way, and then when they blossom, they get picked off by the NFL version of the Yankees, or the Dodgers? I realize the NFL has a salary cap, but Edmunds has become a top 5 LB. His stats say he is due about $17/$18M. Pay him the $85M/$90M he has earned. Who do we replace him with? AJ Klein? Edmunds is just 24. Coming into his prime. He is worth at least 2 victories a year. The salary cap is going up. Bean is a master cap manipulator. He'll find a way. Lastly many od the posters here also believe Bills should let Oliver walk as well. No Oliver, no Edmunds, the Bills are a 10 win team..... At best.        

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Allen 40M, Diggs 20M, Miller 20M, Milano 13M, Tre, Po, Hyde, Oliver, Morse, you have to choose at some point. I don’t think he’s impactful enough to justify 20M on.  Maybe it’s his role, maybe it’s the player, but aside from the fact he makes the defense better than having a back up in the field, he’s not a guy that you really notice.  That’s not a guy I’m paying too end money for.

He enables Bills to play in 4-2-3-2 defense which Coach McD prefers.  If he is not re-signed likely they will need to change defense or draft a rookie capable of handling load full time.  Klein can handle 2nd LB but there are holes not in there when Edmunds is 2nd LB.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Nothing says he has to be getting 20 mil. If you're unsure on his play, watch film reviews that people do professionally or semi professionally. There's a ton out there. You not noticing him certainly won't be any factor in the equation. So when he's back, have some faith that your team brass knows what they are up to.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

'I love Buffalo, I want to be in Buffalo' | Matt Milano on his decision to stay with the Bills (buffalobills.com)

what every player says when resigning.  as another person indicated, his agent likely knew the market value and wanted to get it done with the Bills.   

I have also seen interest on NE board.

Pittsburgh interest talks about desire to reunite with his brother; Bills could flip that and reunite in Buffalo rather than Pittsburgh. Bills have a need at safety, and his brother will be a FA who by the way was not given fourth year option and signed a one-year low ball offer for 2022.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

you have to diagnose the lineup of the offense and make sure we have matching schemes in 10 seconds.

when is the last time you saw Edmunds call a timeout when he saw the offense? He doesn't do that, not since he was a rookie. he studies enough that he doesn't face surprises. think of other teams or games you watch on tv. it's not uncommon to see the mlb call a TO when they can't read the offense.

the next time you're watching the game and when the offense lines up - in 5 seconds diagnose which coverage we are (cover 0,1,2,etc) and determine if we have a 3 down lineman front, which side is strong side and if we need zone or man based on what the offense is doing and who lines up where. it's not easy. i've only seen a couple of other fans able to do this in a timely manner. and those fans are like Romo used to be and telegraph the play.

in a general game when i am in person, in good viewing i can diagnose at least half of the plays pre snap. the houston playoff game was super fun because it was so easy with how basic our offense was i called two entire series pre snap.

Which brings up a great point, because I’ve also seen him - more times that I would like - tap a defensive lineman to move over, or even tell Milano to strongly favor a side with him, only for the play to go the opposite direction. And we get gashed. Don’t know if that’s bad study, but I’ve never seen the offense audible out of the play they were in while he was moving people around. 

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting ...because these Steelers guys think that Milano got paid " a ton of money" ... $10M a year...!

Milano in my opinion has left some money on the table with his deal with is "team friendly"..... probably at least $10M over the four years and likely more... 

At least he will be able to console himself that he did the " mafia" proud.... and in 4 years time when he retires , we will lift up our drinks and salute him for saving us some cap ... whilst we look ahead to the next draft...

Milano will not retire.  Bills will have to keck him  to the curb first.

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Good info thanks…. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.