Steelers radio debates signing Tremaine Edmunds

Einstein

12 hours ago, akcash said:

Hope we resign him. I don't want to break the team but he has stepped up and is playing at his full potential. 

He's my number 1 player we must re sign..

I felt him missing time impacted the D more than Poyer and way more than Oliver. 

QB of the defense.  

Need him back!

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

Who are the Bills now, the Pittsburgh Pirates/Cincinnati Reds of the NFL? Bring high draft picks along, watch them grow and stumble along the way, and then when they blossom, they get picked off by the NFL version of the Yankees, or the Dodgers? I realize the NFL has a salary cap, but Edmunds has become a top 5 LB. His stats say he is due about $17/$18M. Pay him the $85M/$90M he has earned. Who do we replace him with? AJ Klein? Edmunds is just 24. Coming into his prime. He is worth at least 2 victories a year. The salary cap is going up. Bean is a master cap manipulator. He'll find a way. Lastly many od the posters here also believe Bills should let Oliver walk as well. No Oliver, no Edmunds, the Bills are a 10 win team..... At best.        

It's not about just letting those guys walk.  It's about how to best spend the $$$ that they will get on players.  I like Edmunds a lot but there is a world where we let him go and use that money to sign other FAs.  Maybe it's just me but I think this iteration of the Bills defense is probably coming to a re-tooling phase.  Both safeties are on the wrong side of 30 and have injury concerns.  I'm not sure that you can pay 2 off-ball LBs over $10 mil.  Other than Rousseau, who are the long term talents on DL? Oliver is a great player but he's not someone that I'm giving big money to.  No matter what happens with this season, I think we are due for some changes on defense.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Which brings up a great point, because I’ve also seen him - more times that I would like - tap a defensive lineman to move over, or even tell Milano to strongly favor a side with him, only for the play to go the opposite direction. And we get gashed. Don’t know if that’s bad study, but I’ve never seen the offense audible out of the play they were in while he was moving people around. 

I'll take your word for it and believe it. We dont bend much on defense once we call a play. We rely on our setup and look pre snap to do enough. 

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I felt him missing time impacted the D more than Poyer and way more than Oliver. 

QB of the defense.  

Need him back!

The Bills are undefeated this season in games Poyer has played. 

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

I'll take your word for it and believe it. We dont bend much on defense once we call a play. We rely on our setup and look pre snap to do enough. 

Heard on these boards that Frazier says he doesn’t like to switch up or deviate from the defensive game plan even if it isn’t working. Said that it creates doubt amongst the defensive players. I’ve never heard or seen the quote firsthand, but it absolutely shocked me as inflexible. 

14 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

The Bills are undefeated this season in games Poyer has played. 

I know that and Tremaine only missed 3 gms but in the Detroit gm especially, I thought his presence was missed more than Poyer. I hope we keep both but at 25 , Tre should be priority 1

43 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

QB of the defense.  

Need him back!

That's because we have extreme depth at DT, Had very good depth at S, and have no depth at MLB.

If the plan was to replace Edmunds with Dodson, you'd be right, but that wouldn't be the plan.

13 hours ago, akcash said:

Hope we resign him. I don't want to break the team but he has stepped up and is playing at his full potential. 

He is utterly replaceable for a LOT less.

He's going to get a HUGE payday this offseason.

Let someone like Pittsburgh pay the bill.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Nothing says he has to be getting 20 mil. If you're unsure on his play, watch film reviews that people do professionally or semi professionally. There's a ton out there. You not noticing him certainly won't be any factor in the equation. So when he's back, have some faith that your team brass knows what they are up to.

He’s going to get paid, he’s not going to take some super cheap deal to make you feel better, it’s his career.  He’s going to get very close to, if not more money than Smith.  Everybody drools over his size/speed and forgets he’s not a super impactful player for all those attributes.  He’s been much better this year, but he’s not a super star like people pretend. Keuchly is what they want, and when he was on the field, you knew it.  The problem is Edmunds is good, but you have to pay him like he’s great, those are the guys you let go.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He’s going to get paid, he’s not going to take some super cheap deal to make you feel better, it’s his career.  He’s going to get very close to, if not more money than Smith.  Everybody drools over his size/speed and forgets he’s not a super impactful player for all those attributes.  He’s been much better this year, but he’s not a super star like people pretend. Keuchly is what they want, and when he was on the field, you knew it.  The problem is Edmunds is good, but you have to pay him like he’s great, those are the guys you let go.

wanna bet? I'm willing to throw 100 on it. To be paid out once signed/extended.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's because we have extreme depth at DT, Had very good depth at S, and have no depth at MLB.

If the plan was to replace Edmunds with Dodson, you'd be right, but that wouldn't be the plan.

So who do you replace him with? That's the problem- I don't see a guy available that wouldn't be a huge drop off. Unless there's rookies out there 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not spending a dime over 14-15M for Edmunds. I don't care if it's an extension or tag.  We have way too many issues on the OL and WR to have the luxury of keeping 49. Yes he's played well this season but his time in Buffalo is numbered.

And, sadly I’m sure he’ll prosper in a scheme that utilizes his skillset.  

Would love to have him back but just don't see how it's possible unless he takes something less than market to be team friendly (maybe $13-14 mil range max).  I was thinking that maybe franchise tag is an option and have seen others here mention it but after taking a look at the 2022 values (pasted below), it's out of the question.  Unfortunately the 3-4 edge rushing "linebackers" inflate the value of linebackers for tag purposes.  He's likely gone.

Pos.   Franchise tag

QB     $29,703,000

LB      $18,702,000

WR     $18,419,000

DE     $17,859,000

DT     $17,396,000

CB    $17,287,000

OL    $16,662,000

S       $12,911,000

TE     $10,931,000

RB     $9,570,000

P/K     $5,220,000

This does bring up another point, the NFL really needs to have two separate linebacker tag values, one for off-ball backers and one for 3-4 edge rushing backers (or just lump them in with DEs).

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Tremaine does a lot for what our Defense asks from him. I don't get the hate for him on this board. He is probably due 13-15M/yr and I don't think we'd be better off at the position without him. We aren't drafting high and I dunno that we are going to be able to replace him through the draft or FA without spending about what he's going to sign for anyway.

He has really turned up his game this season.  And I admit I bashed him for a long time, (and rightfully so)  But he has become a big time stud for us.  After seeing what Roquan Smith just signed for w the Ravens, (and I think Edmunds is a better player) it will be hard to keep Edmunds.  And don't forget about Poyer too.  We need him just as much if not more then Edmunds.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

That group needs some starters too. Plus putting an eventual replacement for Morse in the pipeline would be a good idea as well.

I just don’t see them changing the starting 5 with how they’re finishing. I would love for them to draft an OT and OG to develop. Morse could play many more years.

• Disagree 2

4 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

wanna bet? I'm willing to throw 100 on it. To be paid out once signed/extended.

Bet what? You think he’s not going to get similar money to Smith?

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I know that and Tremaine only missed 3 gms but in the Detroit gm especially, I thought his presence was missed more than Poyer. I hope we keep both but at 25 , Tre should be priority 1

Look, the Bills have absolutely pathetic LB depth. Edmunds had darn well better be missed, if he wasn’t you really have an issue.  Don’t forget the guy raked like 13M this year, so he’s not some low cost, high performer.  If anything, he’s a high cost, average starter.  If the Pats were good at anything, it was letting the paper tigers go get paid elsewhere and come crawling back after they got cut.  Beane let that happen a couple times already, I’m not going to be shocked if he does it again.  That said, Tremaine was his pick and he seems pretty bent on proving his guys are the right guys. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Bet what? You think he’s not going to get similar money to Smith?

Look, the Bills have absolutely pathetic LB depth. Edmunds had darn well better be missed, if he wasn’t you really have an issue.  Don’t forget the guy raked like 13M this year, so he’s not some low cost, high performer.  If anything, he’s a high cost, average starter.  If the Pats were good at anything, it was letting the paper tigers go get paid elsewhere and come crawling back after they got cut.  Beane let that happen a couple times already, I’m not going to be shocked if he does it again.  That said, Tremaine was his pick and he seems pretty bent on proving his guys are the right guys. 

bet you, ... money (100). Right, yes, I think he will take less (or a longer term) to stay here and remain a cornerstone of this team.

I really wish people would have a better understanding of how offenses are evolving. 

Good teams consistently send 4 man patterns out there, and on occasion, 5. And then they run these Inside/outside zone runs from 11 and 12 personnel, where both TEs are receiving threats. 

The middle linebacker, especially in today's 4-2-5 schemes, is the most important position on the field for you, and so much of what they do doesn't pop in the stat sheets, which is why a good nickname for them is Eraser. You can't afford to  consistently drop safeties low to cover the middle 3rd. You need to keep them back with all this speed on the outside NFL WRs bring, and the consistent threat of double deep routes from outside and in.  Having someone like Edmunds is MASSIVE, because they enable average athletes like Hyde and Poyer to excel as safeties. They don't have the speed to go from middle 3rd to deep 3rd, and with Edmunds, we don't ask them to. 

And on top of that you STILL need a backer who's good enough in run fits, and still a threat on blitzes. Edmunds is pretty freakin good in his run fits and is actually still improving year over year as a blitzer. But he's a ***** WEAPON as an eraser in coverage. 

He's more important than Oliver or either safety or signing a high end WR2. 

IMO he's a must keep

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

I really wish people would have a better understanding of how offenses are evolving. 

Good teams consistently send 4 man patterns out there, and on occasion, 5. And then they run these Inside/outside zone runs from 11 and 12 personnel, where both TEs are receiving threats. 

The middle linebacker, especially in today's 4-2-5 schemes, is the most important position on the field for you, and so much of what they do doesn't pop in the stat sheets, which is why a good nickname for them is Eraser. You can't afford to  consistently drop safeties low to cover the middle 3rd. You need to keep them back with all this speed on the outside NFL WRs bring, and the consistent threat of double deep routes from outside and in.  Having someone like Edmunds is MASSIVE, because they enable average athletes like Hyde and Poyer to excel as safeties. They don't have the speed to go from middle 3rd to deep 3rd, and with Edmunds, we don't ask them to. 

And on top of that you STILL need a backer who's good enough in run fits, and still a threat on blitzes. Edmunds is pretty freakin good in his run fits and is actually still improving year over year as a blitzer. But he's a ***** WEAPON as an eraser in coverage. 

He's more important than Oliver or either safety or signing a high end WR2. 

IMO he's a must keep

Is this a hyperbolic post? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills D vs Vikings first half

151 yards, 10 points

2nd half

273 Yards, 20 POINTS

VS Browns

324 Yards passing, 3 TDs, 80 yards rushing, 23 points

vs Lions

240 yards passing, 2 TDs, 96 yards rushing, 1 TD, 25 points

Perhaps the 4 worst halves of football for the Bills D this season across those 3 games, all with Edmunds on the bench (he played the first half against the Vikes)

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

Not even close. 

Not to attack you or your post specifically, but some of these elevated Edmunds takes reminds me of the past, where a decorated hero meets an admirer in person and their response is always “I thought you’d be taller.”

Edmunds is a good player who has had a solid year; even came up with his first interception after being soclose on a number of throws. But some of you describe his abilities and presence on the field like he exceeds a Luke Kuechly or a Brian Urlacher. He’s not a future Hall of Fame player with what he has shown thus far in his career and thusly, neither erases the entire middle of the field, nor is he a run stopping missle. Will he be extended? Who knows. But if it’s anything north of $13M (which I’m sure it will be) I think that will be a mistake given the escalation of the other contracts we have on this team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Not to attack you or your post specifically, but some of these elevated Edmunds takes reminds me of the past, where a decorated hero meets an admirer in person and their response is always “I thought you’d be taller.”

Edmunds is a good player who has had a solid year; even came up with his first interception after being soclose on a number of throws. But some of you describe his abilities and presence on the field like he exceeds a Luke Kuechly or a Brian Urlacher. He’s not a future Hall of Fame player with what he has shown thus far in his career and thusly, neither erases the entire middle of the field, nor is he a run stopping missle. Will he be extended? Who knows. But if it’s anything north of $13M (which I’m sure it will be) I think that will be a mistake given the escalation of the other contracts we have on this team. 

I'm not saying he's a future hall of famer. He's not enough of a playmaker at that position to get that. 

What I am saying what he gives in terms of fundamental linebacker play makes him our most valuable defender on a play by play basis.  Part of the equation for value is how hard is it to replace a commodity, and if you can't replace it, what are the cascading impacts of the loss?  You take that into account, and he's pretty close to a must have for the Bills. 

Did you disagree with what I said about how football offenses are evolving? Why do you think the Bills wouldn't feel his loss all that much?

EDIT

Just caught the part on defending the pass. If you don't see an elite, or close to elite, pass defender in him, then you and I are just gonna have to disagree here. There's a reason Josh Allen talked so highly of his pass defending, calling area 43 a no go zone or something to that effect. 

Edited by appoo
  • Disagree 1

Just now, appoo said:

I'm not saying he's a future hall of famer. He's not enough of a playmaker at that position to get that. 

What I am saying what he gives in terms of fundamental linebacker play makes him our most valuable defender on a play by play basis.  Part of the equation for value is how hard is it to replace a commodity, and if you can't replace it, what are the cascading impacts of the loss?  You take that into account, and he's pretty close to a must have for the Bills. 

Did you disagree with what I said about how football offenses are evolving? Why do you think the Bills wouldn't feel his loss all that much?

I didn’t disagree with the evolution of the game, it’s undoubtedly a passing league now, but I did disagree with your characterization of what he alone brings. I also hate when people cherry pick the Vikings halves like Edmunds is the sole reason why the D went to poo. Jefferson went off that second half, the entire team was just oddly complacent after going up 27-10. It wasn’t solely an Edmunds issue. Cousins played out of his mind that second half and the DBs couldn’t get a stop. If Edmunds was on the field do they win that game? Well, I think they do because they should’ve won it without him out there.

The Browns game was a mess, given what the team was going through at the time, so was the Lions game. And the Lions actually had a very good offense this year. To attribute both those games as exhibit A on how much Edmunds is missed… I can’t get behind it. Remind me, did Edmunds play in that Jets game where we were gashed on the ground to the tune of over 200 yards? Where the Jets had an embarrassing number of consecutive rushes and we couldn’t stop anything? Oh wait, the 200+ yards wasn’t against the Jets, that was against the Packers, a game Edmunds also participated in. The Dolphins also had close to 200 yards rushing as well, did Edmunds play in that game? Those results weren’t solely an Edmunds issue no more than the games you cited. They were a collection of defensive faults, more than 1 guilty party was to blame. One man doesn’t change that, just as one man didn’t change the entire Vikings game 2nd half collapse.

I want Edmunds back at the right dollar amount, we have no viable alternatives behind him right now, but I’m not breaking the bank to keep him. I’d rather invest in the offense, specifically in the trenches, and give Josh the help he needs to sustain a long and fruitful career. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've said this on here before and I'll say it again....McDermott and Beane value Tremaine wayyyy more than 70% of this fanbase does.  I'd actually be shocked if he doesn't remain in Buffalo.  Fans don't really understand the salary cap either thinking every good player is impossible to sign.  The same fans that are saying there's no way we can resign Edmunds are the ones that said the same thing about Diggs, Knox, Milano etc....in short most fans are idiots lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've said this on here before and I'll say it again....McDermott and Beane value Tremaine wayyyy more than 70% of this fanbase does.  I'd actually be shocked if he doesn't remain in Buffalo.  Fans don't really understand the salary cap either thinking every good player is impossible to sign.  The same fans that are saying there's no way we can resign Edmunds are the ones that said the same thing about Diggs, Knox, Milano etc....in short most fans are idiots lol

You make it sound like I don’t have any power to decide other people’s fate. 

You're fired. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

There are going to be many shocked and sad Bills fans next year when they come to the realization that:

1.  Other teams value Edmunds very highly.

2. The Bills will struggle to replace him, leaving a major hole in this defense.  

I am sure the Beane and company would love to retain him but I doubt that will be feasible given the Bills cap limitation and the contract inflation going on.  

Edited by FLFan
spelling

3 hours ago, appoo said:

Bills D vs Vikings first half

151 yards, 10 points

2nd half

273 Yards, 20 POINTS

VS Browns

324 Yards passing, 3 TDs, 80 yards rushing, 23 points

vs Lions

240 yards passing, 2 TDs, 96 yards rushing, 1 TD, 25 points

Perhaps the 4 worst halves of football for the Bills D this season across those 3 games, all with Edmunds on the bench (he played the first half against the Vikes)

Comparing him to a guy that barely has a roster spot is a terrible comparison.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.