Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

If the Bills really go into the season with these receivers then teams will double team Diggs and he will get frustrated and have a temper tantrum and demand a trade. This is not going to end well. If you want to keep Diggs then you need another receiver

This season is really gonna depend on how much Ken Dorsey can evolve as a playcaller.  He needs to learn how to scheme guys open, run more 4 wide sets and dial up more quick routes.   I personally hate when Bills run a lot of 12 man packages with extra tight ends helping in pass protection.  It literally leaves Josh with 3 options 1) Try and thread the needle into a double covered Diggs,  2) throw to stone handed Gabe who never gets much separation, or 3) run the ball which McD seems pretty hell bent on not doing anymore with his QB.

Edited by Lost
  • Agree 1

DeAndre Hopkins was always a pipe dream. Doesn’t make sense financially for us anyways. I think they go find a WR in the draft and hope Gabe Davis can have a bounce back season. The key to offense is going to be Ken Dorsey. How is he going to maximize the talents of the others guys other then Diggs? Knox, Davis, Cook, Harty, Shakir and Hines bring all different kinds of skill set to the table. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's more valid because it's a BILLS Beat Reporter, who is *actually* seriously connected to the team and has covered them for 15 years, outright saying they won't be trading for him. He wouldn't say it like that unless it was confirmed to him.

Not a beat reporter from the Texans. Not some rando on Twitter. It's Tim Graham. If you don't know who Tim Graham is and why his word means more than ErieCountyBulls - I don't even know what to say.

As for Beane, he didn't just say he looked into it and they can't talk about him because he's on another team. He made a point to say that Social Media blows things out of proportion. He didn't have to say that and probably wouldn't have if things were serious. That was specifically done to let fans know it wasn't as serious as everyone around here thinks or hopes.

Combine all of this with their reported asking price that we were never and will never pay - it's time to face reality. We probably made a call last Wednesday when it was being reported they weren't going to get much and when we found out what the actual price was, that was that.

Tim Graham may be correct on this particular topic but has clearly demonstrated his willingness to fabricate for attention.  Taking that guy at his word is a mistake.  Again, he may very well be correct about this, but his propensity to grab attention makes that less than certain.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Tim Graham may be correct on this particular topic but has clearly demonstrated his willingness to fabricate for attention.  Taking that guy at his word is a mistake.  Again, he may very well be correct about this, but his propensity to grab attention makes that less than certain.

Agree, this statement tell us one thing only: He knows nothing about the situation and is seeking notoriety.  Breaking News - Bills won’t be trading for Hopkins, until they trade for Hopkins.   

3 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

We could barely beat the dolphins and I already forgot their 3rd string QBs name. Does Beane really think Damien Harris is the answer? 

No, the new OL is the answer…supposedly.  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Agree, this statement tell us one thing only: He knows nothing about the situation and is seeking notoriety.  Breaking News - Bills won’t be trading for Hopkins, until they trade for Hopkins.   

Not exactly what I am saying……Graham may or may not know something of importance here, but there is no way to discern that as he has demonstrated a willingness to twist words and straight up lie to make himself look better.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This was obvious when the price tag came out as a "Christian McCaffrey" level trade a couple days ago. A significant development would be Arizona drastically dropping their price. 

Short of that, it's never going to happen. Beane is never going to pay a price of 2-3 picks starting with a 2nd this year AND pay 34.5 in cap over two years for a 31 year old WR. I don't care how good they looked as of last season. I don't know that any team is paying that price.

I don't believe Jerry Jeudy was ever available to be traded for even though fans clamor for it. Same goes for Mike Evans.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/16/nfl-news-trade-rumors-mike-evans-tampa-bay-buccaneers-free-agency/

So as of right now, it's pretty much OBJ or a 1st Round Pick as far as a legit WR addition goes. Some of you are just going to have to learn how to deal with it.

Yesterday the Cardinals gave permission to DeAndre to negotiate a contract with other teams. It should be a little easier now than earlier. That kinda tells me that they will come down on their price 

Edited by Buffalo03

I started to doubt it was going to happen when it was taking so long to get it done. When word came out for what the Cardinals were asking for, there was no way the Bills were going to do it. I doubt any team will give up nearly that much for DeAndre.

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's more valid because it's a BILLS Beat Reporter, who is *actually* seriously connected to the team and has covered them for 15 years, outright saying they won't be trading for him. He wouldn't say it like that unless it was confirmed to him.

Not a beat reporter from the Texans. Not some rando on Twitter. It's Tim Graham. If you don't know who Tim Graham is and why his word means more than ErieCountyBulls - I don't even know what to say.

As for Beane, he didn't just say he looked into it and they can't talk about him because he's on another team. He made a point to say that Social Media blows things out of proportion. He didn't have to say that and probably wouldn't have if things were serious. That was specifically done to let fans know it wasn't as serious as everyone around here thinks or hopes.

Combine all of this with their reported asking price that we were never and will never pay - it's time to face reality. We probably made a call last Wednesday when it was being reported they weren't going to get much and when we found out what the actual price was, that was that.

Tim Graham doesn't have the slightest clue what will happen...  because very likely Brandon Beane and Monti Ossenfort STILL don't know what will happen themselves.

Social media absolutely blows things out of proportion - in both directions.  When reports started surfacing about us being interested in DeAndre Hopkins, many Bills fans took that as absolute confirmation we were making a trade.  Just like you are now taking Graham's comments as absolute confirmation that we are not.  Of course, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Take all the pieces of information that we've gathered (from Beane himself, local beat reporters and the national media).  It's pretty clear the Cardinals are shopping Hopkins.  It's pretty clear we checked in.  And it's pretty clear the two parties haven't come to an agreement on the price tag to make a deal.  Everything else beyond that is total speculation, whether positive or negative.  

It's totally possible that neither side budges, and a deal never comes to fruition.  It's also possible that one side backs off their demands, depending on how everything else shakes off in the coming months.  How does the draft play out?  Maybe Beane misses out on OBJ and can't land the WR prospect he wants.  Then he's willing to switch-up and make a deal.  Maybe Ossenfort decides he wants another couple picks when late April rolls around, and comes down off the asking price.  Maybe Hopkins starts pushing the issue himself and demands a trade.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not gonna lie … that Tim Graham tweet is a curveball. 

It’s obvious there’s smoke.  This isn’t some fan/internet driven story.  It’s been confirmed by both connected reporters and connected athletes. 

I don’t doubt at all that Beane is out on the Cardinals current asking price.  As is, apparently, the entire NFL.   I do very much doubt, if it is to be gleaned from Graham’s tweet, that this is (or was) some far fetched dream. 

I think odds are probably less than 50/50 that we trade for him at this point, but the posters being all “ahhh see!!!” are taking a bizarre premature victory lap … Graham’s tweet is the outlier, not the consensus reporting.  I do give his reporting more weight than say, Albright, PacMan Jones, Jeremiah etc., but it’s certainly a change in narrative from everything we’ve been hearing. 

“Bills don’t leak”… except to Tim Graham? 

Who knows … I am starting to not care at this point.  I think Arizona is being ridiculous and it is what it is now. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

The Bills need a significant signing at WR. Beane overvalues his draft choices and picks. Gabe Davis is not a 1B or #2 WR. 

We have the best QB in the division and the 3rd best WR room. Invest in your superstar Beane. Get it done. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That's a bad thing?

Ha really?  I know you've become the most vocal regime apologist on TSW but even you should be concerned if they end up going into the season with Allen and a bunch of spare parts on offense.  

I know, I know, hE tRaDeD a fIRsT fOr dIgGs... 

I will withhold judgement until September but if the offense doesn't get a significant talent upgrade across the board - other than this bizarre Goldilocks routine with running backs - it's a very bad look for the GM.

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They also have us as 3rd in Super Bowl odds.  They still think we are very good.

Well. They had us 1st last year and we got smoked by the 5th team in our own house. Making us look like we shouldn’t have even been in the playoffs. So….

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They also have us as 3rd in Super Bowl odds.  They still think we are very good.

Perhaps all we need is growth, some better injury luck and a tinkering here and there.  I won’t say that can't suffice. 

On paper, even with the question mark at MLB, this roster (once healthy) is far more talented than the one that finished the season. 

That being said, on paper, when compared to Burrow and Mahomes, both have better OL’s than we do and with Burrow, clearly better proven weapons.. Allen and Mahomes probably equivalent in that department. 

Edited by SCBills

Just my opinion but I think the Bills were very close to getting Hopkins last week and before the trade could be done the Cardinals moved the sticks on Beane by using the media to say the Patriots, Ravens, and Chiefs were all involved as well.  Ossenfort was trying to get the Bills to bid against themselves to get the Bills to take on more of the contract or give more in trade.   Again just my opinion, but the "He is an Arizona Cardinal" line seemed like the annoyed Beane type of thing we have seen in the past.

All conjecture here but there was way too much smoke last week to be nothing. 

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The Bills need a significant signing at WR. Beane overvalues his draft choices and picks. Gabe Davis is not a 1B or #2 WR. 

We have the best QB in the division and the 3rd best WR room. Invest in your superstar Beane. Get it done. 

I tend to agree, even if it’s not Hopkins. For example, the Commanders are a mess (no QB, projected less than $3 million in cap space). I would trade our first in a low quality draft class for Terry McLaurin who has a very manageable $2 million salary this year. He will just turn 28 when the season starts so best years are ahead. McDermott also has a relationship with Ron Rivera despite what happened with McKissic.

But we really need a WR2 and trying to find one in the draft seems like a big risk. Beane has done it once before with Diggs, let’s hope he can pull off one more big trade to get Josh a second weapon.

Edited by LEBills
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Perhaps all we need is growth, some better injury luck and a tinkering here and there.  I won’t say that can suffice. 

On paper, even with the question mark at MLB, this roster (once healthy) is far more talented than the one that finished the season. 

That being said, on paper, when compared to Burrow and Mahomes, both have better OL’s than we do and with Burrow, clearly better proven weapons.. Allen and Mahomes probably equivalent in that department. 

We disappointed last year and the end.  Disappointing endings do not mean you're just not good and that's what many on here are jumping to.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's not the point I'm making.  

I’m just backing the thought that the way we’re mishandling the “weapons” issue and protection issue for Josh is the same way the Packers mishandled that for Rodgers for years. It’s part (just a part) of the reason Rodgers is so jaded on the Packers. For years now they have mishandled that and he’s done. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

How is this year's draft for WR's? I don't expect them to go there Rd 1 but if it's a good draft for WR's then we could get one in the later rounds.

We drafted a WR in the later part of the draft for 3 consecutive seasons... That's not the answer, we need a bonafide WR on a cost controlled contract, that can be better than Gabe Davis and in 4 or 5 years possibly surplant Diggs.

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m just backing the thought that the way we’re mishandling the “weapons” issue and protection issue for Josh is the same way the Packers mishandled that for Rodgers for years. It’s part (just a part) of the reason Rodgers is so jaded on the Packers. For years now they have mishandled that and he’s done. 

It sure seems to be trending that way.... I like many others don't understand the lack of real investment to the Offense. I understand bringing in camp bodies and competition but nobody we brought in this FA are viewed as difference makers IMO.

Maybe they'll pick up some top O players in rounds #1 and #2...

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not gonna lie … that Tim Graham tweet is a curveball. 

It’s obvious there’s smoke.  This isn’t some fan/internet driven story.  It’s been confirmed by both connected reporters and connected athletes. 

I don’t doubt at all that Beane is out on the Cardinals current asking price.  As is, apparently, the entire NFL.   I do very much doubt, if it is to be gleaned from Graham’s tweet, that this is (or was) some far fetched dream. 

I think odds are probably less than 50/50 that we trade for him at this point, but the posters being all “ahhh see!!!” are taking a bizarre premature victory lap … Graham’s tweet is the outlier, not the consensus reporting.  I do give his reporting more weight than say, Albright, PacMan Jones, Jeremiah etc., but it’s certainly a change in narrative from everything we’ve been hearing. 

“Bills don’t leak”… except to Tim Graham? 

Who knows … I am starting to not care at this point.  I think Arizona is being ridiculous and it is what it is now. 

I don't give his reporting more weight than Allbright. Idk who Ben's sources are around the league, but he is the most reliable one of them. That doesn't mean everything he reports will happen, but he isn't a useful mouthpiece

14 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I tend to agree, even if it’s not Hopkins. For example, the Commanders are a mess (no QB, projected less than $3 million in cap space). I would trade our first in a low quality draft class for Terry McLaurin who has a very manageable $2 million salary this year. He will just turn 28 when the season starts so best years are ahead. McDermott also has a relationship with Ron Rivera despite what happened with McKissic.

But we really need a WR2 and trying to find one in the draft seems like a big risk. Beane has done it once before with Diggs, let’s hope he can pull off one more big trade to get Josh a second weapon.

Terrible Terry as the Number 2 would destroy the league with Allen throwing him the ball he is really really good and maybe the most underrated receiver in the league 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

If the Bills really go into the season with these receivers then teams will double team Diggs and he will get frustrated and have a temper tantrum and demand a trade. This is not going to end well. If you want to keep Diggs then you need another receiver

Exactly!! I don't care who you draft this season, opposing defenses are NOT coming into a game saying we fear the rookie. They will continue to double Diggs. Get a known commodity in here to help take the pressure off of Diggs/Allen.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ohhh Timmah🙄

16 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I love drafting a WR, but I don't love it for helping us right now, this year.  

McD doesn't get rookies involved on offense. Even if we got McLaurin (love that idea) or Hopkins or OBJ, I still want the Bills to invest in a early round WR. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don't think year 6 Josh is jaded like 39 year old Aaron Rodgers. 

We don't know the full story of Aaron Rodgers saga.  He's one weird guy who is a regular season star and falters in the playoffs.  Who knows what lead to what.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We disappointed last year and the end.  Disappointing endings do not mean you're just not good and that's what many on here are jumping to.

I often agree with you. I like your fundamental optimism, but I do not believe that most of those with more negative views believe we are not good. I think the consensus is we are not good enough, which is different. There is concern that the draft will largely be devoted to the D and needed upgrades on offense are going to be confined to later draft picks and the modest, albeit possibly astute signings we already know about.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No 

everyone recognizes that we are good as long as Allen plays at a high level 

what people are asking is when is “good” not going to be the standard… at what point should we expect a Super Bowl from beane and Sean. When