Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I musta missed the actual news about AZ's price.  Is that what they want? 

The 49ers took a lot of criticism for giving up essentially the heart of their draft board this year (2nd 3rd and 4th) plus a late pick (5th) next year.

But, they got a 26 yr old player under contract for 4 years, with a minor salary in 2023 and a reasonable $12M/yr going forward.

To ask that for a 31 yr old player who gets $19.5M this year and $14.9M next, for a guy who only played 19 of 34 games last two seasons, ended 2021 with an MCL injury, took PEDs and was suspended 6 games in the healing process, and reportedly missed the last two games of 2022 because he "tweaked" that injury - Wow.

I do NOT want the Bills to pay that price.  Maybe that's just me.

No one is paying that price. No one should want the Bills to pay anywhere near that price.

Somewhere upthread, well somewhere, the report of the initial asking price is posted.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

No one is paying that price. No one should want the Bills to pay anywhere near that price.

Somewhere upthread, well somewhere, the report of the initial asking price is posted.

I'm sure, but I searched the thread for what I thought to be likely keywords and couldn't find it.

12 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

SI is a joke these days IMO

Yeah they have fallen from grace for sure… didn’t report anything Graham didn’t already say.

Also chose to not believe Dunkirk Don aka ECBulls

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm going to call this guy Erie county Bull Crap for now on. 

Dunkirk ECBulls

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

But Hopkins would not be a "final piece" for the Bills.  We need an MLB, another 3TDT, and IMHO at least solid RT competition for Brown.  Rapaport is legit, but to take what he tweeted and apply it to the Bills sounds like heavy speculation to me.

Yes, I agree they need more than that, but a national reporter might pay less attention to the roster. In a very vague manner, fella like Rapaport could think of Hopkins as a closer type addition for one of the top teams. I don't believe he's that for anyone, actually, though maybe you make a case for the Chiefs, I dunno.

Edited by Dr. Who

34 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

They are all full of crap until something happens.  That's part of their job.

There were legit reporters talking about A. Brown coming to the bills before and that amounted to nothing.

It's all throwing stuff until something sticks.

And no, I don't necessarily believe the tweet either.

It’s guesswork sometimes and reporters are mislead - especially around draft time.  But because it’s Graham completely believe his information.  I can’t remember a time when he jumped the gun and reported information that wasn’t true.  Say what you will about his personality but he is a good reporter.  

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I musta missed the actual news about AZ's price.  Is that what they want? 

The 49ers took a lot of criticism for giving up essentially the heart of their draft board this year (2nd 3rd and 4th) plus a late pick (5th) next year.

But, they got a 26 yr old player under contract for 4 years, with a minor salary in 2023 and a reasonable $12M/yr going forward.  And, he was a true difference maker.

To ask that for a 31 yr old player who gets $19.5M this year and $14.9M next, for a guy who only played 19 of 34 games last two seasons, ended 2021 with an MCL injury, took PEDs and was suspended 6 games in the healing process, and reportedly missed the last two games of 2022 because he "tweaked" that injury - Wow.

I do NOT want the Bills to pay that price.  Maybe that's just me.

But Hopkins would not be a "final piece" for the Bills.  We need an MLB, another 3TDT, and IMHO at least solid RT competition for Brown.  Rapaport is legit, but to take what he tweeted and apply it to the Bills sounds like heavy speculation to me.

counter: adding an all pro to any team nationally considered a contender would be called a final piece. No one is weighing a RT to compete with brown in that statement. 

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

According to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the Cardinals are seeking “hefty compensation.”

They want a “premium Day 2 pick and more.”

It would appear that they are hoping to net roughly what they gave up to acquire him three years ago — a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick, essentially.

To be able to get that same haul after three years would be ideal.

According to Fowler, Hopkins’ age and his suspension last season for testing positive for a banned performance-enhancing substance are concerns.

The two years remaining on his contract are manageable and, per Fowler, is easily reworkable to save as much as $10 million against the cap this year.

Trading Hopkins would give the Cardinals cap relief in a year in which they are retooling their roster. They will gain more than $8 million in cap space but will incur more than $22 million in dead money this year, freeing up more than $25 million in cap space in 2024.

Cardinals seeking 'hefty compensation' in potential DeAndre Hopkins trade 

it's sure to change but this is what I found.

Of course they are seeking high compensation. Are they supposed to leak that he’s cheap?

48 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This guy is full of crap… not sure why people are buying into his guessing.  I would go with the word of legit reporters over a fan playing NFL insider on Twitter

I’m sure this is just the Bills trying to “control the narrative” 👌

Basically just regurgitating that Tim Graham said something.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s guesswork sometimes and reporters are mislead - especially around draft time.  But because it’s Graham completely believe his information.  I can’t remember a time when he jumped the gun and reported information that wasn’t true.  Say what you will about his personality but he is a good reporter.  

there’s also a consideration that a report gets derailed by someone else swooping in. Often reporters are accurate in what they are sharing but that can change in fluid situations. 

29 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

im cool with BBB walking away from the table. let the cardinals get desperate and come to you, because in the end, you know they will.

Or, maybe some team with a young QB (or a capable QB with minimal weapons) and big cap space will pay something closer to it.

The Bears have more cap space than they know what to do with, for example, and a young QB who could use a savvy vet WR who can catch anything flung in his general direction.  They have extra draft picks after trading their first to the Panthers.

The Panthers have 2nd most cap space, made it clear they're taking a QB who could benefit from a savvy vet WR, and they still have their own 2nd and 4th round picks as well as the 3rd and 4th rounder they got from SF in the McCaffrey trade.

The Lions have they 3rd most cap space.  They are going into Dan Campbell's 3rd year, have Goff under a manageable contract for 2 more years, and lost 5 games by 3 or 4 points.   They may feel the clock is ticking for them, and feel like adding a second top WR to Amon-Ra St Brown would put them over the top and flip those games, giving them 13-4 or 14-3.  They have the 3rd most free cap space and 8 draft picks, 4 in the first 2 rounds so they're well-positioned to trade a 2nd round pick without hurting their board.

Good NFL WR can be arrogant.  They feel that they can make catches and yards with anyone throwing to them - Tyreek Hill saying to a reporter "I could make yards with you throwing to me."  My sense of DHop is that's something he would say.  So it's probably more important to Hopkins to go to a team that can pay him, than it is for him to go to a team that has one of the best QB in the league.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I agree they need more than that, but a national reporter might pay less attention to the roster. In a very vague manner, fella like Rapaport could think of Hopkins as a closer type addition for one of the top teams. I don't believe he's that for anyone, actually, though maybe you make a case for the Chiefs, I dunno.

See above - I made a case for 3 teams with a buttload of cap space.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Or, maybe some team with a young QB (or a capable QB with minimal weapons) and big cap space will pay something closer to it.

The Bears have more cap space than they know what to do with, for example, and a young QB who could use a savvy vet WR who can catch anything flung in his general direction.  They have extra draft picks after trading their first to the Panthers.

The Panthers have 2nd most cap space, made it clear they're taking a QB who could benefit from a savvy vet WR, and they still have their own 2nd and 4th round picks as well as the 3rd and 4th rounder they got from SF in the McCaffrey trade.

The Lions are going into Dan Campbell's 3rd year, have Goff under a manageable contract for 2 more years, and lost 5 games by 3 or 4 points.   They may feel the clock is ticking for them, and feel like adding a second top WR to Amon-Ra St Brown would put them over the top.  They have the 3rd most free cap space and 8 draft picks, 4 in the first 2 rounds.

Good NFL WR can be arrogant.  They feel that they can make catches and yards with anyone throwing to them - Tyreek Hill saying to a reporter "I could make yards with you throwing to me."  My sense of DHop is that's something he would say.  So it's probably more important to Hopkins to go to a team that can pay him, than it is for him to go to a team that has one of the best QB in the league.

Wrong Hap… if you listen to Pat McAfee he said that Hopkins biggest priority is winning right now and would be willing to re-work his contract.  I don’t think the fear is a team that’s re-building.  

It’s more about teams that are threatening for a playoff spot who could be a problem

29 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

im cool with BBB walking away from the table. let the cardinals get desperate and come to you, because in the end, you know they will.

The Bills can always go WR at pick 27 and address other needs with picks 59 and 91 and use the remaining picks for depth. BBB is wise to not give up too much for D-Hop unless the Cards are willing to eat a significant portion of his cap hit. You can’t give up good draft assets and take on a large cap hit for a 31 year old WR coming off back to back injuries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

counter: adding an all pro to any team nationally considered a contender would be called a final piece. No one is weighing a RT to compete with brown in that statement.

I see your point, but I also think it's "reading the tea leaves" to see that tweet as singling out the Bills.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Lions are going into Dan Campbell's 3rd year, have Goff under a manageable contract for 2 more years, and lost 5 games by 3 or 4 points.   They may feel the clock is ticking for them, and feel like adding a second top WR to Amon-Ra St Brown would put them over the top.  They have the 3rd most free cap space and 8 draft picks, 4 in the first 2 rounds.

Those are plausible scenarios, but trying to match them to Rapaport's view that the acquiring teams were looking at Hopkins as a final piece, none of them seem to really qualify, though I think the Lions are going to be good, so I would agree they fall within the scope of an arguable interpretation.

I see your point, but I also think it's "reading the tea leaves" to see that tweet as singling out the Bills.

I was not reading that tweet as exclusive to the Bills, btw. I do think as a matter of conjecture they might be one of those teams.

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Bills can always go WR at pick 27 and address other needs with picks 59 and 91 and use the remaining picks for depth. BBB is wise to not give up too much for D-Hop unless the Cards are willing to eat a significant portion of his cap hit. You can’t give up good draft assets and take on a large cap hit for a 31 year old WR coming off back to back injuries.

That's how I see it.

When we traded for Diggs, several posters here critiqued the deal saying that it's not just "we traded a first and stuff for Diggs, a great WR, and the Vikes got Jefferson in the first, so we both won".    The Vikes got a great player on a cost-controlled rookie deal while we got a great older player for whom we had to pay a fat contract. 

I still think the deal was a good one: the Bills got a savvy vet who could help Allen develop and help raise the level of the WR room; the Vikes got a youngster who could learn to do things as their savvy vet QB wanted them done.

But that's not where we are now.  If the Bills are going to sustain success, they have to get production from cost-controlled drafted players.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Which WR at 27 are you thinking of? It's easy to just say take a first round wr, but it's not a strong position in the draft. Some think Zay Flowers will be there. He's another slot, though potentially a very good one. Certainly, the two best receivers, Quintin Johnston and Jaxson Smith-Njigba, will not. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I was not reading that tweet as exclusive to the Bills, btw. I do think as a matter of conjecture they might be one of those teams.

OK, I misinterpreted "A little harder for the skeptics to paint this as a mirage speculated on the basis of IG posts and pseudo-NFL Insiders on Twitter."

Nothing pseudo about Rapaport, but still speculation and conjecture.

That's how I see it.

When we traded for Diggs, several posters here critiqued the deal saying that it's not just "we traded a first and stuff for Diggs, a great WR, and the Vikes got Jefferson in the first, so we both won".    The Vikes got a great player on a cost-controlled rookie deal while we got a great older player for whom we had to pay a fat contract. 

I still think the deal was a good one: the Bills got a savvy vet who could help Allen develop and help raise the level of the WR room; the Vikes got a youngster who could learn to do things as their savvy vet QB wanted them done.

But that's not where we are now.  If the Bills are going to sustain success, they have to get production from cost-controlled drafted players.

I think the best receiving option with a plausible chance to be available at 27 is Dalton Kincaid, the Utah TE. I would take him.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Which WR at 27 are you thinking of? It's easy to just say take a first round wr, but it's not a strong position in the draft. Some think Zay Flowers will be there. He's another slot, though potentially a very good one. Certainly, the two best receivers, Quintin Johnston and Jaxson Smith-Njigba, will not. 

What do you think about Jordan Addison?  Greg Cosell named him as a WR he thought might be there who would fit the Bills needs

24 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Of course they are seeking high compensation. Are they supposed to leak that he’s cheap?

just posted the link mac. then deleted as the Dr. had posted at the same time.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the best receiving option with a plausible chance to be available at 27 is Dalton Kincaid, the Utah TE. I would take him.

I have the impression (from the flyer taken on OJ Howard) that Dorsey would like to use 2 TE sets.  So if he's a solid 1st round pick who is ready to at least function as an NFL WR as he learns the rest of his job, I'd be for it.

• Like (+1) 1

What do you think about Jordan Addison?  Greg Cosell named him as a WR he thought might be there who would fit the Bills needs

I'd be surprised if he is available at 27, but I'd be happy to get him. Johnston, JSN, and Addison are the three best receivers imo.

I have the impression (from the flyer taken on OJ Howard) that Dorsey would like to use 2 TE sets.  So if he's a solid 1st round pick who is ready to at least function as an NFL WR as he learns the rest of his job, I'd be for it.

Michael Mayer and Kincaid are both receiving threat TEs who could be available around 27. I think Kincaid has the potential to be a dangerous offensive weapon, so he's my preference. If you wait for 59, Darnell Washington might fall that far. I am an UGA fan, so biased, but he is a great blocker. Only an adequate receiver, but he would allow for more use of 12 personnel. Fella was pounding the table for Tucker Kraft, so I researched him a bit. I think he's a nice player and maybe you can get him in the third. TE is one of the better positions in this draft, so I hope we get one of the aforementioned.

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Does anyone recall.....I think we tried to get Hopkins in 2020, but when he went to Arizona...Beane immediately traded for Diggs?  Is that correct?

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Yes, that is correct.

Unless the Texans were just dead set against trading him inside the conference that seems unlikely given how cheaply they traded him that year.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

it's clear that KC and BUF both "walked away" to try and force AZ to lower their asking price 

Clear as mud.

In all seriousness, I can’t see anybody giving up much more than a 3rd without some help on the contract. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Clear as mud.

In all seriousness, I can’t see anybody giving up much more than a 3rd without some help on the contract. 

If he hasn't been moved on Draft Day...if we get to pick 27 and the Bills don't have a very highly graded player....I'd call AZ and offer them our pick, we trade down to their 2nd rounder (which I think is only 7 picks lower) and give them our 3rd next year 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

The Lions have they 3rd most cap space.  They are going into Dan Campbell's 3rd year, have Goff under a manageable contract for 2 more years, and lost 5 games by 3 or 4 points.   They may feel the clock is ticking for them, and feel like adding a second top WR to Amon-Ra St Brown would put them over the top and flip those games, giving them 13-4 or 14-3.  They have the 3rd most free cap space and 8 draft picks, 4 in the first 2 rounds so they're well-positioned to trade a 2nd round pick without hurting their board.

Lions have Jameson Williams so they're all set. Also has been widely reported he wants to go to a contender so that would likely rule out most of the teams with cap space.