NFL Resolution to Adjust the AFC Playoffs- Poll

Rocky Landing

Consensus on Adjusted AFC Playoff Resolution  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the NFL's decision, and method to adjust the AFC playoffs as a result of the Bills v. Bengals game?

• Yes. I am satisfied with the decision.
    • No. The Bills v. Bengals game should have been canceled, but the NFL should have handled the situation differently.
    • No. The Bill v. Bengals game should have been rescheduled.
    • No. The Bills v. Bengals game should have resumed on MNF, after Hamlin was taken to the hospital.

I’m very interested in seeing a consensus on how Bills fans feel about the way this situation is playing out, and how the league has handled it.

Personally, I’m absolutely fine with the way the NFL, coaches, players, officials, and Goodell has handled this situation, and I am fine with the decision. It probably sucks the most for the Bengals, and it sucks that it basically hands the Chiefs the #1 seed (unless the Raiders pull off a miracle), but rescheduling the Bills v. Bengals game just seemed to untenable. I think the only way to safely reschedule the game would have been to reschedule the playoffs for both conferences. IMO, that would negate the advantage of the first round bye, and even hinder a #1 seed that would go three weeks without playing a game.

I think the solution they have come out with is about as fair as it could be. Thoughts?

Edited by Rocky Landing

I voted that they should have resumed the game. Not Monday night, but after this week. That is the only true fair solution. 

Under the proposed NFL solution due to cancellation of the game. This is what plays out:

I just think it sucks that KC can take the one seed back because we didn't get a result from the Bengals game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Baltimore and Cincinnati got no favors but they both control their destiny. This is why every game matters, even earlier. And, yes, even the one not played.

But 2 games that matter were played and they matter. The Bengals and Bills both beat the Chiefs. They should not be eligible for a bye week.

As such, an 8th seed should have been entered. This would have made one more game, one more point of revenue (which I'm sure the NFL would have loved), and one spot for someone like Miami (who I think could beat KC or Cinci) to play.

• Like (+1) 1

Stay away from the rest of the internet right now.  We're quickly becoming the villains in this - the "league darlings" who ruined it for every other team.

I think most fans forgot that they were outraged on Monday night at even the hint that the NFL was going to force the game to continue.  Now, it's basically "it was the Bills choice to stop playing - they should have forfeited."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I guess this is about the best they can do if the game is canceled. The game did not resume this week, so the schedule change (week 19!) would affect all other teams in the league.

However, the possible coin-flip for playoff home field between Ravens/Bengals just doesn't seem necessary or right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would have just gone with winning % and whoever gets 1st seed gets 1st seed. Bengals weren't realistically getting that anyway, so you're talking about the difference between #2 and #3 seed for them.

Bengals win their division and clinch #3 at worst.  #1 seed comes down to Chiefs/Raiders and maybe Bills/Patriots (if Raiders win). 

It would have made more sense (IMO) to do all the above and IF it came down to Bills/Bengals in the Divisional round play that game in Cincinnati, regardless of whether Bills or Bengals are #2. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

I'm surprised at the outcome.  I expected the NFL to shrug their shoulders at the positions of the Bills and Bengals and stick to win percentage. 

Besides we all know the neutral site is Ford Field.  However, this will be the year the Lions march to the Super Bowl.  😀

2 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I'm surprised at the outcome.  I expected the NFL to shrug their shoulders at the positions of the Bills and Bengals and stick to win percentage. 

Besides we all know the neutral site is Ford Field.  However, this will be the year the Lions march to the Super Bowl.  😀

Nope it was announced they are putting in new turf during that time and the stadium is not available. Outdoor options are also being considered

Really unfair for Cincy.

It sucks that we get no shot at the #1, but at least this makes sure we don't go on the road to KC.

But Cincy did nothing other than be gracious and now they are automatically on the road in Buffalo and then a coin flip for Balt/Cincy if they meet in playoffs.

Crazy. It's like all the NFL did was try to make it fair for buff and Balt but not really Cincy or KC (though KC deserves nothing special)

My preference would have been to add an eighth team in the AFC, thinking eliminating the bye would force KC to play an extra game.  Then I realized that KC would certainly win that game, and that this would still give KC home field through the playoffs, and that would be worse than giving them a week off.

The only other fair option would have been to push the playoffs back a week, and let the Bills and Bengals play in week 19.  But then EVERYONE except the winner of the Bills/Bengals game gets a week off.  That's not right either.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Airseven said:

They should’ve resumed the game. At this point, these scenarios are so convoluted I’ll take another look Sunday night. Speculating about all this before this weekend’s games doesn’t seem productive.

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… feel like the game should’ve been played at some point this past week. 

I'd expect no less from the likes of you...

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Ford Field is the Bills second home this year.

16 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Can't be in Detroit:  https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/06/ford-field-turf-replacement-neutral-site-playoff-game-venue/

The NFL is mulling the possibility of a neutral site for the AFC Championship game in the wake of the cancellation of the Bills/Bengals game in Week 17. Detroit’s proven ability to accommodate teams as a neutral site venue made Ford Field a distinct possibility to host the game, but it won’t happen.

Per Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Ford Field will be unavailable to host the game. That’s because the Lions are replacing the field turf inside the stadium in January, a process they previously set up. Detroit cannot host any playoff games even if the Lions make the postseason, as the Lions would be the No. 7 seed and on the road for any playoff dates.

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I’m very interested in seeing a consensus on how Bills fans feel about the way this situation is playing out, and how the league has handled it.

Personally, I’m absolutely fine with the way the NFL, coaches, players, officials, and Goodell has handled this situation, and I am fine with the decision. It probably sucks the most for the Bengals, and it sucks that it basically hands the Chiefs the #1 seed (unless the Raiders pull off a miracle), but rescheduling the Bills v. Bengals game just seemed to untenable. I think the only way to safely reschedule the game would have been to reschedule the playoffs for both conferences. IMO, that would negate the advantage of the first round bye, and even hinder a #1 seed that would go three weeks without playing a game.

I think the solution they have come out with is about as fair as it could be. Thoughts?

I am fine with 90% of it.  They did exactly what I expected.  

My only real complaint is I think it screwed over Cincinnati to much.

Although I hate it - I would have been all for additional neutral site games of Buffalo/Cincinnati as that game could have gone either way and that impacts everything.

I am glad they followed the rules as laid out and then looked at ways to adjust and I think given the terrible situation- the NFL tried and did an excellent job.

I just feel for Cincinnati a bit right now.  Good guys, Good Coach and took one on the chin for us - just as we did for KC.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, sunshynman said:

I voted that they should have resumed the game. Not Monday night, but after this week. That is the only true fair solution. 

Under the proposed NFL solution due to cancellation of the game. This is what plays out:

I just think it sucks that KC can take the one seed back because we didn't get a result from the Bengals game.

I’m not too sharp, but based on that chart doesn’t KC stand the most to lose? They have a greater chance at the 1 seed (which they’d mathematically own) and an equal chance, with the Bills, at hosting the AFC title game. So the league is favoring KC’s 1, and giving love to the Bills if they get to the tile game.

All along I said KC can have the 1, but the AFCCG should be in Buffalo (if they win Sunday). 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I want to see the votes, and abstaining is a ***** move.

53 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Yes. It's essentially a "no" vote with the ability to say, 'I didn't vote no'.

Is it a blind vote where all give written votes to commissioner or is a vote of hands?

If 25 hands went up saying yes it may be the abstained voters just did not vote because it made no difference.

It's fine.  There are probably like a dozen different solutions that I would have been okay with.  This isn't the one I would have picked, but I'm more or less satisfied with it so I voted accordingly.

My preferred outcomes in a vacuum were:

1. Coin flip.

2. Winning percent with no other adjustments.

3. Bills forfeit.

4. Any other solution not involving replaying the game or changing the playoff field.

[Acceptable outcomes end here]

5. Any solution involving an 8th playoff team.

6. Resuming the game.

This falls under #4 and it's okay by me.

I voted for a re-scheduling of the game.  I know it's complicated, but it's not impossible.

I think things could have been moved around with the elimination of the extra off week before the SB taking up the slack (which should be eliminated anyway).

18 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Can't be in Detroit:  https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/06/ford-field-turf-replacement-neutral-site-playoff-game-venue/

The NFL is mulling the possibility of a neutral site for the AFC Championship game in the wake of the cancellation of the Bills/Bengals game in Week 17. Detroit’s proven ability to accommodate teams as a neutral site venue made Ford Field a distinct possibility to host the game, but it won’t happen.

Per Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Ford Field will be unavailable to host the game. That’s because the Lions are replacing the field turf inside the stadium in January, a process they previously set up. Detroit cannot host any playoff games even if the Lions make the postseason, as the Lions would be the No. 7 seed and on the road for any playoff dates.

...but the Bills just can't play anywhere else!  (I kid.)  

It is very Ford Family to be inept to such a degree your football team can't host a playoff game due to carpet installation.  

Unless the Bills and Bengals said they were good with not playing their game against each other, that game should have been played (after week 18). No matter what happens from here, in my mind there is an asterisk on the season. Won't prevent me from celebrating a Bills super bowl. But in my mind, the integrity of the season is out the window with this decision. 

54 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I voted yes, but it is so frustrating that KC is the team that benefits, by far, the most. 

If it was anyone else, I could stomach it. 

I agree it's the fairest solution, but it's tough to stomach the Chiefs benefitting the most from it, especially since they've looked like crap while barely beating one cupcake after another for much of the second half of the season.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.