Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

WhoDeyNation and BillsMafia are forever tied together.   I'm gonna hug the next person I see in Bengals gear, whether they like it or not.

Just not in the office.  There are rules for that sort of thing...

Edited by wjag
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was just going to post a wish.  With all the prayers and well wishes I'm still holding onto hope that Damar AND Kim can host a Lombardi.

Sorry man, but no Lombardi this year.

I already traded it to God in exchange for Damar's health and he seems to have taken the deal. 🤙

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

So good to see the smiles.  And Taron Johnson in a non-contact jersey but with helmet on.

Not only Taron and all the guys, but Dane Jackson there smiling too. Close friend of Damar’s from growing up together. 

My reaction to the news on Hamlin and these photos:

X Men Running GIF
Buffalo Bills GIF by EliteSportsTours

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

PR and media relations management is normally not something they teach in medical school

I thought those two physicians did an INCREDIBLE job.  They were very generous in recognizing the Bills physicians and trainers, gently emphasizing the impact of immediate bystander CPR and defibrillation on a positive outcome, and also firm but clear on refusing to provide details of exact timing of the arrest/resuscitation that remains to be reviewed, or detailed results of medical tests that are nobody's business but his family's

Trying to summarize some notes I took:

Initial response:

1. initially had pulse when trainers reached him, pulse disappeared under their initial care

2. had one round of CPR and one round of defibrillation to restore a pulse (ROSC, return of spontaneous circulation)

3. had a "textbook" EMS response including airway maintenance and intubation prior to transport to hospital

4. no details about why/how long the ambulance remained in the tunnel, but did share that Hamlin was intubated and had airway maintenance prep once he was inside the ambulance. 

5. no tracheostomy (hole in the throat to insert a breathing tube, this would be done if there were an object lodged in upper airway or if there were neck trauma where swelling would threaten the airway). 

6. no broken jaw.

7. was sedated, placed on ventilator and placed in prone position due to ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) which was explained as an inflammatory response interfering with gas exchange in the lungs.

8. hypothermia protocol was used

Current status:

1. Still on ventilator with breathing tube in place, so can not speak.

2. Is communicating by moving shaking head or nodding (important detail - means they aren't worried about neck injury), by squeezing hands, and by writing on paper on clipboard.

3. He asked early on who won the game?  Doctor said they told him "you did, Damar, you won the game of Life".

4. Parents and family and members of the Buffalo Bills staff are with him

5. Said he's been holding lots of peoples' hands - he's held doctor's hand, family, Bills

6. They can very much feel the prayers and the well wishes surrounding Damar and his family. 

7.  Said his family is wonderful and they wish everyone had a family like that.

8. Said Damar has been told he's got a lot of toys to buy when he gets out of hospital

Next steps:

1. Focus is on improving his respiration and restoring his ability to breathe without the ventilator

2. Asked if Commotio Cordis was the cause of his cardiac arrest.  Explained that Commotio Cordis is a "diagnosis of exclusion" and they will be conducting further tests to rule out other causes of sudden cardiac arrest before that diagnosis would be made.

3. Asked about concussion.  They explained that no head injury detected, but concussion is a neurological diagnosis and since he's been sedated on a ventilator that evaluation could not be made.

4. Asked several times about what the best outcome would be, and what kind of rehab he would need or timeline.  Said the best outcome would be to return to the state he was in at 8 pm Monday night (didn't sound as though they rule that out) but it's too soon to tell what kind of rehab would be needed or what the timeline would be

Hope this is helpful to anyone who didn't have time to listen to the whole thing.

Thanks, this is a great summary.  I only caught the end.  I think HIPPA was a bit of a concern as they wouldn't go into specific tests like echo results and EF.  Kind of surprised the questioner identified herself as a cardiologist and proceeded to ask those questions.  Seemed a little classless and disrespectful of someone who should know the ins and outs of PHI, IMO.   

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Hamlin almost dies and the first thing he wants to know when he regains consciousness is: Did we win?

This should be our rallying cry for the rest of the season.   If someone puts this on a tee, I’m buying it.

I hope and pray the team gives Damar a series of positive responses!

Just wait, you will be receiving an email from Store716.com anytime now.  And I'm buying one!

Caveat - I am not affiliated with the store but get an email from them at least twice a week since I bought a Josh potato shirt earlier this year.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

A bunch of keyboard warriors spent the last couple of days scolding people over caring about football.  Meanwhile the first thing the injured player asks about is football.  

Those evil keyboard warriors worrying about if a guy was alive or dead instead of a football game. 

Take a pause for a second guy… Damar didn’t even know where he was or what happened. The last thing he remembered before DYING was being in a football game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Not to be the materialistic weasel of the group, but....Is anyone else fighting the urge to dream up scenarios on what a amazingly triumphant story it would be for the Bills to win the SB.  I know I am.  Trying to manage expectations.

Tops Massacre

Matt Araiza being released

Dawsons brother

Micah Hyde - done

Von Miller - done

Two historic deadly snowstorms

Damar Hamlin

If anyone needs this, it's the people of Buffalo 

Yup.  And I feel sorta bad about it but man, what a story it would be.  Would be a good movie, 30 for 30, etc.

Academically speaking, I could see Harvard Business School doing a leadership / organizational case study on centered on the Pegula's, the front office and McD of course.  It's been a very challenging year for Buffalo, both on and off the field as you rightly pointed out (you left off Kim's health issues BTW), and if we FINALLY win the Superbowl (and even if we don't), the team performed at such a high level for the entire year and is a model of stability, consistency when times are rough.  Bet there are a lot of good teachings and learning points that can be distilled from the 2022 Buffalo Bills season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Keep getting better Damar. Everyone keep channeling positive thoughts to him. 

How about this scene on Sunday: Instead of introducing the offense or defense, they introduce the medical team. And, if he's able, a quick video clip or photo of Damar on the video screens.

Not a dry eye in the stadium.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, wjag said:

Can you imagine the euphoria in the Bills lockeroom when they heard his first concern was whether they won the game?  That was so uplifting to me, I would imagine it was cathartic for them.  

I couldn't imagine . Would love to see the meeting they found out in..

In the thread posted about this derailing our season, I said I don't see any middle ground. Buf would either fall apart or gain even more fire in their belly. This news certainly has me thinking the latter and i think we absolutely spank the Patriots this week now that they know worse case scenario isn't happening 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

He remembers the game. How much weight a simple question carries.

That's exactly what I loved about it.

I don't love the response that they supposedly gave him (whether they actually said it), but that he's capable of that is amazing and makes me so happy.

For nothing else, he can communicate again with his family which is the best thing

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A black cloud has hung over me since Monday. I haven't been fully myself. After the past couple hours I can breathe again. Whatever happens next with this season I am at peace.

The 1st news I got when I awoke today was I had lost an Aunt in Buffalo whom I'm going to say died from a broken heart. She's in her 90's and had lost her husband a few months ago.  The 2nd news was of Damar coming to and responsive. My aunts with my uncle now where she wants to be in heaven. Damar is where the whole world wants him to be here on mother earth.

God is good... 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Figster said:

The 1st news I got when I awoke today was I had lost an Aunt in Buffalo whom I'm going to say died from a broken heart. She's in her 90's and had lost her husband a few months ago.  The 2nd news was of Damar coming to and responsive. My aunts with my uncle now where she wants to be in heaven. Damar is where the whole world wants him to be here on mother earth.

God is good... 

Condolences for your loss :(

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

God is good... 

condolences figster.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.