Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

Just now, Steptide said:

It's weird, I feel more emotional about this, this morning than I was last night. Did not sleep well or much at all. 

Same man. I think it's cause none of us seen anything like this. I been around the game personally and as a fan for almost 30 years and never seen this.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes - I think the league was quite busy dealing with other things associated with the events.

At no time did they state the NFL told them it would be a five minute warmup.  They did say they heard from the people on the field - so was the NFL decision makers on the field.

I am sure the sideline reporter talked to the head of officiating who quoted standard SOP - a five minute warmup and then the game resumes and that is what Buck and Aikman quoted.  That is also where Van Pelt got his info from the broadcast.

I do not for a second believe anyone at ESPN was in contact with high up league officials during that break.

It was awkward to incredible it did not appear the league was in contact with ESPN at all during the time he was injured to when they were given the 'official statement', at the same time the PA announcer was.  All they could do was say 'we are still waiting for word from the league' and be careful not to wrongly speculate- which basically meant they really couldn't offer any meaningful information on what was going on.

Granted the league had its hands full trying to assess what was going on and make decisions, but it is crazy they did not appear to communicate at all with the network.  They didn't have to give details/specifics, but could have offered some info along the way "we are currently looking into options" "our primary concern is the player" etc instead of the broadcast having no official messages/information to send at all.   Failure to communicate indeed

49 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

I watched this.  This guy is a very good pulmonary and critical care doctor.  He did a very good job on this and also had very many good videos on covid issues.  Very reliable young dr and utilizes social media well and YouTube channel is very good. Mixes humor in and is not loaded with technical jargon. Recommended viewing!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, stevewin said:

They didn't have to give details/specifics, but could have offered some info along the way "we are currently looking into options

With regards to last night communications. They were excellent by NOT talking. Excellent by not showing things. ESPN did fine by just being quiet. League PR did fine by not sending stuff to ESPN to spew.

Sometimes silence is the correct communications, despite modern need for instant blather. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I was waking up every couple hours and bracing myself for grim news whenI checked my phone.

There was an altered image announcing his passing that someone sent.  You knew it was fake but waking up hearing the phone buzz at 330 am was rough. 

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I feel for you.  He is in a teaching hospital so he is surrounded by icu/critical care nurses and most likely resident drs in addition to the lead or attending dr. If one ever suffers a cardiac arrest as he did, time is critical and other than arresting in a hospital, there is no place where action would have happened that quickly.  Last tweet suggested his vitals are “stable “ and he is intubated on a ventilator and was sedated ( this is common using certain med so if he does wake up he doesn’t “fight” the tube in his trachea.  ).  Time will tell , but I am certain he is having neuro testing such as a baseline eeg to test for brain activity , ct probably and echocardiogram to evaluate his heart and aorta, and with time the meds sedating any function will be weaned to see how he reacts ( can he breath on his own or react to stimuli} to determine his prognosis.  It’s a waiting issue now , he got great , the absolute best care. Cpr is done to preserve brain and heart tissue /function and we can only pray it was adequate to preserve as much function as possible.  

Great hospital, I almost did my residency there in family practice as I am from Ohio , but ended up training in Toledo Ohio. Teaching hospitals are.on the cutting edge of medicine , so now we can just add prayer nd hope.  Might know more over next 24-48 hours but he is in great hands and I am sure God is there watching over all the family,  team, and caretakers.  Hope you can get some rest.  Best wishes.  Hopefully we see him leave and go home someday  as we can hope for the best outcome. 

Thank you for helping to provide some knowledgeable comments here. This is they type of thing that makes social media (writ large - an old school bulletin board) a positive today: someone who knows what they're talking about helping other understand what's going on.

• Like (+1) 1

To be with a friend or family member who is close to death, as the Bills were yesterday, is a moment heavy enough to stay with you forever. 

I was with my mother as she passed in a traumatic way at ECMC 17 years ago and that moment has never left me.

The Bills are gonna need time to process this. Not easy even for us fans to process it and we don't know Damar personally as a teammate and brother.   

Good news about Damar would help everyone, but it won't instantly erase what the Bills (and Bengals) went through last night.

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

There was an altered image announcing his passing that someone sent.  You knew it was fake but waking up hearing the phone buzz at 330 am was rough. 

Saw some YouTube channels peddling “RIP Damar Hamlin” for clicks.  As we celebrate the vast majority of people who are acting decently, certain others are below pond scum.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Saw some YouTube channels peddling “RIP Damar Hamlin” for clicks.  As we celebrate the vast majority of people who are acting decently, certain others are below pond scum.

Sadly every time trauma occurs there will be something trying to profit off of it- it truly shows mankind's darkest side- 

I'm trying like hell not to be angry when I read those types of things and just keep thinking of the brotherhood we saw last night- because those our the moments that show how awesome people can be

For many of us football is an escape from daily life. This shocked me back to reality, I hugged my kids and prayed for Hamlin.

Our emotions rise and fall during games but nothing like this.

I get upset with players, curse bad plays and right now I wonder what is wrong with me? Right now I feel my priorities are in order… a 60+ year fan and have never felt like this.

Prayers to him and his family.

it’s nice to have this community to share feelings with.

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I watched this.  This guy is a very good pulmonary and critical care doctor.  He did a very good job on this and also had very many good videos on covid issues.  Very reliable young dr and utilizes social media well and YouTube channel is very good. Mixes humor in and is not loaded with technical jargon. Recommended viewing!

This is an excellent explanation.  If he was sedated because he was fighting the ventilator or agitated, that indicates higher brain function above the brainstem and therefore the brainstem also. "Cardiac arrest" doesn't tell us anything.  Pulseless means cardiac arrest.  As he said, the underlying cause of the cardiac arrest is still unknown.  Commodis cordis would have a better prognosis (because the injury to the heart could be transient as some of the heart muscle could be stunned rather than permanently damaged ) than an aortic dissection or ruptured aneurysm or another preexisting condition (connective tissue weakness in vessels or aneurysm)) but still not a great one.  praying for this young man.

Edited by redtail hawk

51 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I’m almost positive no NFL team has ever had the amount of adversity that the Bills have had this year. All the injuries, the November storm, two games in Detroit in a week, Christmas storm, 3 nights in Chicago, and now Hamlin. I believe it’s unprecedented. If someone knows of a NFL team dealing with more in one season, please feel free to correct me. 

The New Orleans Saints with Katrina?

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I’m almost positive no NFL team has ever had the amount of adversity that the Bills have had this year. All the injuries, the November storm, two games in Detroit in a week, Christmas storm, 3 nights in Chicago, and now Hamlin. I believe it’s unprecedented. If someone knows of a NFL team dealing with more in one season, please feel free to correct me. 

You could add team president and co-owner out of action due to health issues.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thank you for helping to provide some knowledgeable comments here. This is they type of thing that makes social media (writ large - an old school bulletin board) a positive today: someone who knows what they're talking about helping other understand what's going on.

I’m a graduate advisor at a university in one of my programs used to be the school of medicine gonna check for a couple of people I know to see if I can get any additional information

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m a graduate advisor at a university in one of my programs used to be the school of medicine gonna check for a couple of people I know to see if I can get any additional information

Let’s let the doctors treating him give us reports been seeing way to much speculation on social media and network news channels.  Sure folks can provide explanations for possible reasons this happened but until we get official statements it’s all speculation.

• Like (+1) 1

If there is anything to be encouraged by it is the support the Bills and Hamlin have received from fans/players of other teams, particularly rivals of the Bills.  It’s nice to see others who know when it’s time to take the uniforms off and ban together as humans to care about the health and safety of an individual.  I’m sure there are some out there who have made insensitive remarks but, overall, from what I have seen, the reactions have been mostly supportive.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Does anyone have an idea of any possible realistic timeline for updates? Would it be crazy to think we could hear something this morning or are we thinking it’s at least 24 hours before any sort of information?

it’s probable we’ll hear something today. May not be much, but there will be some sort of update.

I may have missed if this was already posted, but this is a video of Damar talking about how they were able to keep going after the scary Dane Jackson injury.

Bottom-line was he needed reassurance from Dane that he was okay. The CPR, defribulator, and the lack of ability of DamR to say it’s okay made this very different.

definitely praying for positive news. As Damar stated life is bigger than football 

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

It was awkward to incredible it did not appear the league was in contact with ESPN at all during the time he was injured to when they were given the 'official statement', at the same time the PA announcer was.  All they could do was say 'we are still waiting for word from the league' and be careful not to wrongly speculate- which basically meant they really couldn't offer any meaningful information on what was going on.

Granted the league had its hands full trying to assess what was going on and make decisions, but it is crazy they did not appear to communicate at all with the network.  They didn't have to give details/specifics, but could have offered some info along the way "we are currently looking into options" "our primary concern is the player" etc instead of the broadcast having no official messages/information to send at all.   Failure to communicate indeed

Did we really need an official “we are looking at options” and “we care about the players health”?

Everyone knows all of that, it adds nothing meaningful 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

A question was asked, so I answered it, what’s the problem you are having with that?  

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I was waking up every couple hours and bracing myself for grim news whenI checked my phone.

Man… I was doing the same thing.  Waking up every hour, checking ESPN and saying ‘please don’t have bad news on it.’  

I’m going to remain optimistic for now.

I mentioned last night, and will say again, Ryan Clark and Scott Van Pelt were absolutely amazing… and should get some serious national recognition in how they handled this. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’ve been a fan since 99. This feels worse than music city miracle, the Dallas MNF loss and the KC losses. 

Kevin Everett. That was another horrific situation but this one is even worse

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

it’s probable we’ll hear something today. May not be much, but there will be some sort of update.

Yea, I think It depends on the trajectory it’s taking 

if going to norms it’s probably a statement from family/reps with a thanks for concern and currently stable but not out of the woods sooner and a more meaningful update but still high level later in the day 

we might not have concrete for a bit here 

• Like (+1) 1

My hope today is that good news comes regarding Hamlin and that they can get back to playing football. I don't say that as a selfish football fan that wants to see my team play, I say that because I want everything to go back to normal as much as possible. I have no doubt that this bills team will rally around this. It's not about being the one seed or winning the super bowl at this moment, it's about Hamlin being ok. Once we get word he's ok, I absolutely believe this will light a fire in this team. 

49 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yeah, fortunately I have missed those.  In these days I have come to expect the worst from people but I was pleasantly surprised last night at well everyone (with the exception of the NFL) reacted.  The announcers, the studio team, the coaches, players, fans (Bills and Bengals) were all supportive and thoughtful.  

Just now, Steptide said:

My hope today is that good news comes regarding Hamlin and that they can get back to playing football. I don't say that as a selfish football fan that wants to see my team play, I say that because I want everything to go back to normal as much as possible. I have no doubt that this bills team will rally around this. It's not about being the one seed or winning the super bowl at this moment, it's about Hamlin being ok. Once we get word he's ok, I absolutely believe this will light a fire in this team. 

Could go that way or you could have some traumatized players wondering if they’re going to die when they get hit.  I’m not prepared to predict any reactions.  Human minds and motivations are complex.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.