Buffalo News analysis of Tremaine Edmunds this season

dave mcbride

If you did it based on play this season then it would be:

1. Poyer

2. Oliver

3. Edmunds

But I think they are going to put more weight on the position and their perceived importance to the defensive scheme so probably:

1. Oliver

2. Edmunds

3. Poyer (probably not able to retain)

Edmunds disappears in games and despite his gigantic size he seems to be easily blocked out of plays and isn't a big hitter. He doesn't make the "splash plays" that a star LB should be making. He plays the Kuechly position, he should be gobbling up stats but Milano is far and away the star of the LB's. I think they will sign him and hope that he keeps improving and you can't coach size and he is able to get in the way of a lot of passes without doing much but standing there

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 10

15 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

1. Poyer

2. Oliver

3. Edmunds

But I think they are going to put more weight on the position and their perceived importance to the defensive scheme so probably:

1. Oliver

2. Edmunds

Edmunds disappears in games and despite his gigantic size he seems to be easily blocked out of plays and isn't a big hitter. He doesn't make the "splash plays" that a star LB should be making. He plays the Kuechly position, he should be gobbling up stats but Milano is far and away the star of the LB's. I think they will sign him and hope that he keeps improving and you can't coach size and he is able to get in the way of a lot of passes without doing much but standing there

Poyer has been hurt half the season and he is not getting younger. I think Oliver and Tremaine are must signs. Poyer can walk after this season, let someone else over pay him. 

Edited by wppete
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I was all for signing these defensive core players, but after watching games, does it even really matter? I feel like you cannot stop the good offenses much anyways. I think I'd rather spend the money on offense.

In the AFC the Bills defense has given up the least number of points at 263.

Bengals at 306.

Chiefs at 332.

The Dolphins are the worse in the AFC with 370 points.

Bills lead the NFL in Net Points with 157.  Defense still matters in my book.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I was all for signing these defensive core players, but after watching games, does it even really matter? I feel like you cannot stop the good offenses much anyways. I think I'd rather spend the money on offense.

I kinda feel the same way.  Poyer is the best of the three listed above but also pretty old now.  How much stellar play does he have left?

Oliver is not an every down player where both Edmonds and poyer are.

I didn’t notice too much of a drop off when Klein started for Edmonds and he was signed off another teams practice squad.  Again I think most of that is - defenses aren’t allowed to stop offenses anymore.

• Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

All due respect to you, but I think I’d describe your view as “Edmunds doesn’t do what you want to see him do because he’s busy doing what Frazier wants him to do.”  I’m an old school, splash play, big hit, linebacker fan with memories back to Ray Nitschke.  Edmunds does something completely different and the rest of the defenders have options they’d not have if he wasn’t covering acres playing the pass and the run, sideline to sideline, from the line of scrimmage with short and intermediate drops. I see the board split not as pro or con Edmunds, but as understand or not his role.

IMHO …. respectfully.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I’d be shocked if Oliver gets an extension before Edmunds.  Beane HAS to make a decision on Edmunds this offseason or he’s gone.  We still have the 5th year option on Oliver.  Given Edmunds is entering his prime years and he’s having his best season, and is essentially the QB of the defense, I’d also be surprised if Beane and McD don’t do everything they can to retain his services.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

All due respect to you, but I think I’d describe your view as “Edmunds doesn’t do what you want to see him do because he’s busy doing what Frazier wants him to do.”  I’m an old school, splash play, big hit, linebacker fan with memories back to Ray Nitschke.  Edmunds does something completely different and the rest of the defenders have options they’d not have if he wasn’t covering acres playing the pass and the run, sideline to sideline, fro, the line of scrimmage with short and intermediate drops. I see the board split not as pro or con Edmunds, but as understand or not his role.

IMHO …. respectfully.

We understand his role. The problem is that he doesn’t make the play when the ball or ball carrier enters his area of the field.

• Disagree 7
  • Agree 1

Edmunds has had a fine season, but when we were getting gashed by the Dolphins, I felt it was exhibit A of why he shouldn’t get a substantial $14M/yr+ contract after this season. Allocate that money to the offense, specifically OL, and let Bernard or a rookie compete with AJK for the position opposite Milano. Sure the defense won’t be as strong, but seeing as how they never really shut down a top offense, it’s better to get Josh the help he needs to sustain a high level of play.
For a team up against the salary cap, tough decisions will be made…

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Balance. Our offense was good enough to beat KC in the playoffs last year. Defense, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Philosophically there is something to this

I love our D and the players on it. When the playoffs hit and Mahomes (or Allen) are locked in, the defense just doesn't appear to matter.

I watch Philly's offensive line and wonder why we shouldn't go all in on doing something like that, at the expense of almost anything.

• Agree 1

This will deteriorate into the bash Edmunds groupies VS the ones who more clearly understand his role in the defense, Popcorn 🍿 time, 

6 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Balance. Our offense was good enough to beat KC in the playoffs last year. Defense, not so much.

And that’s sad because all the draft picks on defense , Monday night is going to tell a lot about our defense. And is it always going to be up to allen to score 40. When we play KC - CIN in the playoffs. 

45 minutes ago, Neo said:

All due respect to you, but I think I’d describe your view as “Edmunds doesn’t do what you want to see him do because he’s busy doing what Frazier wants him to do.”  I’m an old school, splash play, big hit, linebacker fan with memories back to Ray Nitschke.  Edmunds does something completely different and the rest of the defenders have options they’d not have if he wasn’t covering acres playing the pass and the run, sideline to sideline, from the line of scrimmage with short and intermediate drops. I see the board split not as pro or con Edmunds, but as understand or not his role.

IMHO …. respectfully.

As mentioned, he plays the Luke Kuechly position. All plays are funneled up the middle to him. And yet he's often nowhere to be found. Kuechly was the sideline to sideline player Edmunds was supposed to be and he was much smaller. Edmunds still seems unsure of himself and he doesn't have the instincts you would want to see. People dream of being that big and athletic but it hasn't translated on the field 

27 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

A new Edmunds thread is my favorite birthday gift so far today.

Did you actually read the piece? 

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

As mentioned, he plays the Luke Kuechly position. All plays are funneled up the middle to him. And yet he's often nowhere to be found. Kuechly was the sideline to sideline player Edmunds was supposed to be and he was much smaller. Edmunds still seems unsure of himself and he doesn't have the instincts you would want to see. People dream of being that big and athletic but it hasn't translated on the field 

I recommend reading the piece if you haven’t yet. It deals with this issue.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Offense was not good enough, or else we would have won the game. The question is, is it easier to add 7 points to the Bills offense, or subract 7 points from the cheifs with better defense.  Spoiler alert, the answer it is it easier to add points on offense. 

21 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Again, no disrespect.  He leads the team in tackles and is a missed game adjustment from being  among league leaders.  His tackling percentage is top of the top.   He covers acres.  This is why I bring up role understanding when I read “Edmunds disappears” or “doesn’t make the play when the ball carrier enters his area.”  There are those who think Kuechly was on a Hall of Fame trajectory.   

Edmunds doesn’t stun running backs and stand over them like Dick Butkus.  He covers more field effectively, tackles and gives more options to teammates to thrive than nearly any other LB playing.

Sign him.  

• Like (+1) 2

He used to be much more prone to missing tackles...........but not being a sure tackler has never been among his bigger issues.

Poor instincts/awareness and ball skills are why he's a good player and not a great one.

The ability to anticipate what is going to happen and acting quickly on it is what we perceive as instinct.........it's just processing power..........and over time he continues to get incrementally better at being where he should be in some regards.........but just due to experience.

"The light" has never come on.    He still struggles to find the football and make heady decisions in the heat of the moment.

He's gotta' be close to a record for consecutive regular season games started by an NFL LB without forcing a fumble...........66 games and around 4,000 snaps I believe...........it's incredible.

All that said..........I think that the Bills have seen enough this season that they are going to want to extend him and hope he keeps improving and the switch comes on late in his career. 

The edge he has over Ed Oliver as an extension candidate is that he has the prototypical frame.    Oliver does not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills traded Oliver and his $10M cap figure this offseason to create space for Edmunds and to try to get bigger at the DT position.

Would be great if one or both of these guys took their game to the higher levels they are both capable of in the remaining games and playoffs.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Tell that to the 49ers!

Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, McCaffrey.

49ers know about offensive firepower.

Is Tremaine Edmunds the best Bill ever to go into his final season with the team without a long-term deal?

Edited by FireChans

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

1. Poyer

2. Oliver

3. Edmunds

1. Oliver

2. Edmunds

When you typed this out, did it actually make sense to you?  Does it still?

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, McCaffrey.

49ers know about offensive firepower.

Is Tremaine Edmunds the best Bill ever to go into his final season with the team without a long-term deal?

He's not anywhere near the level of performer that Cornelius Bennett was.    Bennett was an AFC DPOY........and though he failed to live up the Lawrence Taylor-esque expectations........he made big plays.

Not as good as Antoine Winfield at this point either.

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

When you typed this out, did it actually make sense to you?  Does it still?

Do you add any content or just see someone you disagree with and then say hey look at this guy?

Bills are undefeated when Poyer plays. He's proven he's the most valuable piece of the defense. It looks like a different team without him. Can't say that about the other guys

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Do you add any content or just see someone you disagree with and then say hey look at this guy?

Bills are undefeated when Poyer plays. He's proven he's the most valuable piece of the defense. It looks like a different team without him. Can't say that about the other guys

I add lots and point out stupid posts also.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Amen and so right. Last year we had a #1 defense in multiple categories yet we allowed KC to waltz down the field in 13 seconds. Tremaine has improved this season but I'm still signing Oliver & Poyer over him. The splash plays will never come. He's a tackling machine who can cover midfield like a condor. But there's just something missing in 49's game. If he wants to stay in Buffalo for 12-13M, fine and sign me up. But beyond that I'm letting him walk and drafting his replacement.  This years draft and FA assets need to emphasize the offense. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

AMEN! He can be replaced with a kid with a similar skill set, slotted into the same scheme, with about the same results....and a MASSIVE cap savings.

GO offense or go home!

16 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds has had a fine season, but when we were getting gashed by the Dolphins, I felt it was exhibit A of why he shouldn’t get a substantial $14M/yr+ contract after this season. Allocate that money to the offense, specifically OL, and let Bernard or a rookie compete with AJK for the position opposite Milano. Sure the defense won’t be as strong, but seeing as how they never really shut down a top offense, it’s better to get Josh the help he needs to sustain a high level of play.
For a team up against the salary cap, tough decisions will be made…

I think a lot of our defenses weakness this year has been the secondary and lack of elite safeties. When Poyer and Hyde have both been hurt, the defense has been atrocious. But when we have at least Poyer back there we are significantly better.

Edmunds is a good player who I think we should resign. he can only cover so much of the field. But stupid plays like cam Lewis giving up 4th and 18 or Dane Jackson being in perfect position but failing to make a play has been the bane of our defense this season. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.