Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

56 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Wouldn't keeping Isaiah Hodgins have been the better option if this was a skill set they felt the roster was lacking? Possession receiver that just catches the first down yardage with no YAC but is in his athletic prime with a much larger catch radius & huge hands. Bummed we couldn't find room for him over a guy like Baylon Spector or Jaquan Johnson.

That wasn't the decision. The decision was him or Kumerow.

19 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I believe I read that Matt Barkley switched numbers and is no longer wearing number 11. I heard this on Saturday. So did he give 11 up so Beasley could have it?

well considering he has been adding weight maybe be an all-for-the-team guy he is going to have to change number when he changes position.

:🤭

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Adding proven players to the practice squad is always a good move imo. There’s a better chance of him helping the team than “insert name of newly cut PS player here”

When did Beas look finished? I thought he was good last year as well. Some fans just hate for the sake. 

4 minutes ago, NUT said:

But Beasley & Brown are old now.

Not old. Seasoned. 

2 minutes ago, NUT said:

But Beasley & Brown are old now.

They were old THEN. But do they have a half dozen games left?   Maybe.   🤷‍♂️

Brown came VERY close to that long pass last week. Great coverage, perfect pass, and it would have been a sweet welcome home! 

1 hour ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

We literally have like the same roster as 2019 but with crucial additions.. awesome stuff by beane 

But we have a terrible OC now, so the once High Octane engine is reduced to running low octane now.   We seriously need a tune up.  This is a start in the right direction.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Brown came VERY close to that long pass last week. Great coverage, perfect pass, and it would have been a sweet welcome home! 

Unfortunately it wasn’t a good pass.  Brown had him beat by a few yards at least but had to slow down which allowed Sauce to catch up and swat it.  

It was a great route by Brown and had Allen delivered, a likely TD.  

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlights-jets-top-plays-vs-the-bills-in-week-14

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You arent wrong, but Im chalking a lot of these examples up to his elbow injury.

He was on tape in the beginning of the season, I believe the Chris Simms interview, talking about always erring on the side of overthrowing. And that he never wants to underthrow. And here he is underthrowing a lot. Has to be the injury because we all know he knows better.

I was at the game- the wind was swirling and just awful conditions. We have won 4 games in 19 days and didnt turn the ball over Sunday. Folks need to quit being so dang critical we are 10-3 and control our destiny with a beat up, not built for the weather Miami team coming to town! I love where we are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Unfortunately it wasn’t a good pass.  Brown had him beat by a few yards at least but had to slow down which allowed Sauce to catch up and swat it.  

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlights-jets-top-plays-vs-the-bills-in-week-14

It wasn’t a horrible pass, because it was nearly a huge play. 

But I have a more pressing matter: Who looks up the Jet’s Top Plays vs Bills In Week 14? 

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It wasn’t a horrible pass, because it was nearly a huge play. 

But I have a more pressing matter: Who looks up the Jet’s Top Plays vs Bills In Week 14? 

Agreed - not a horrible pass.  Our guys just can’t come up with contested catches most of the time (at least that what it seems like).  

24 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

I wonder if this is a little bit of rust because in the past, Smoke has managed to draw a DPI on those underthrown balls by how he "sells" going back for them?

• Agree 1

It’s funny, Beasley’s detractors like to point at his yards per catch was down last year. That means he’s washed up.

With saying that, Beasley put up his 4th highest yards total last season while matching his career best in receptions.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Agreed - not a horrible pass.  Our guys just can’t come up with contested catches most of the time (at least that what it seems like). 

Seems that way to me, too.  I feel as though I read a lot of stuff here about "drops".  By what's scored, a drop is a ball a WR should catch with ordinary effort.  We have had some of those, but not as many as people think (exception of last game, when we had 5 scored - and no, it was 1 to Isaiah McKenzie)

But, I do feel that our WR don't seem able to come up with that "ooohs" and "aaaahs" contested, challenging catch.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

When did Beas look finished? I thought he was good last year as well. Some fans just hate for the sake. 

Not old. Seasoned. 

I didn’t say he looked finished—-  but I definitely thought his play dropped off dramatically.  Maybe all this time off allowed his body to heal up and he’s got some juice.  

i like the pickup.  It makes total sense.  We’ve missed him

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen is the franchise. Without him we're "in the hunt", not a Super Bowl contender.

Bringing Brown and Beasley in at this point with our top 3 receivers going in to the season healthy, is Beane's admission that he focused to heavily on the defense. He  didn't give the franchise good protection and weapons. Crowder is the only significant WR loss, and he started the season behind lil' dirty.

O-Line and wide receiver this off season has to be the priority IMO.

Edited by KHAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NY Nole said:

Welcome back Cole - should have never been let go! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Well, he asked to be released as I recall, so……. 🤷‍♂️

Beane should have said no until his bonus was due and then let him go just so those who criticize for letting him go can criticize for not letting him go.

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say he looked finished—-  but I definitely thought his play dropped off dramatically.  Maybe all this time off allowed his body to heal up and he’s got some juice.  

i like the pickup.  It makes total sense.  We’ve missed him

I noticed Shady McCoy hasn't been on Speak all week 🤔

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NY Nole said:

Welcome back Cole - should have never been let go! 

At the time of his release from the Bills  he was asking for too much money whom were up against the cap if memory serves. 

Which he did Not get on the open market either. He then signs with Tampa for peanuts

Dont get  me wrong. I think he will do well now that he is back in a Bills uniform. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

He looks to be washed, as you said.  

picking up washed players is bad. 

You said it.  

I’m nobody, but yeah, he looked washed to me. But I also have this ability to change opinion with new information. That’s why I said I won’t be critical of the move until I see it play out.

And honestly I don’t think there is anything bad about trying Beasley at this time. The bad thing is that we need Beasley. That’s where Beane failed. His offseason WR evaluation was a failure. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Beast said:

It’s funny, Beasley’s detractors like to point at his yards per catch was down last year. That means he’s washed up.

With saying that, Beasley put up his 4th highest yards total last season while matching his career best in receptions.

It sure wasn't funny watching him get more than 3 less yards per catch last season.   He clearly lost a step.

A sub 9 yard per catch average for a receiver is terrible.

Duke Johnson is a career 9 yards per catch guy and he's a runnin' back. 

Unfortunately, Beane "dropped the ball" at the WR position and replaced two consistently reliable but punchless, YAC free possession receivers with the injured and unreliable Jamison Crowder and an unplayable Jake Kumerow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It sure wasn't funny watching him get more than 3 less yards per catch last season.   He clearly lost a step.

Unfortunately, Beane "dropped the ball" at the WR position and replaced two consistently reliable but punchless, YAC free possession receivers with the injured and unreliable Jamison Crowder and an unplayable Jake Kumerow.

Yeah, I mean Beasley basically had the same yards per catch last year as he did his last season in Dallas. I guess we should have never signed him to begin with, right?

Clearly lost a step? The guys job is to find a soft spot and sit down in a zone the majority of the time. Can you refer to some plays where Beasley looked slower than the year prior? And, if so, how did he get open to catch a career high 82 passes?

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Man, you really don't like Beasley and Beane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure if many of you recall, but what we did a lot with him last year which we have not seen at all this year is quick slants for about 8-10 yards. Allen would almost throw this weird side arm each time, but he connected on it, each time. It was a valuable play for us that didn't require YAC or any route depth but provided value. The other route he ran all the time was a stick/out route on 3rd and less than 5. Again, very rarely had any YAC, any major athleticism, anything overly special, but it was a completion nearly every time. If he gives us those routes back he's worth his weight in gold. Dirty just can't run them, Gabe doesn't have the quicks, I think we all would prefer Diggs getting more depth. He can win on these, just like Josh can win on some deep balls. These guys don't have to be the former version of themselves to be good lands. Not to mention, my god is Buffalo looking good to future players. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Like Spencer Brown and Cody Ford?  

I agree- the OL needs help next year.  it’s just a roll of the dice no matter the position.  Just because we draft someone in rd 1-3, doesn’t make them an nfl starter.

top draft picks can still be beach chairs.  

The best O-lineman Beane drafted was a 5th-round pick who quickly became a pro-bowl guard for the Browns after one year with the Bills. 
The Bills used the 6th round pick obtained in Wyatt Teller trade for Tyler Bass, so it worked out, but it would be nice to hit on some other mid round picks rather than wasting another # 2 on someone like Cody Ford. That was a terrible waste of a early round pick. 
Maybe they can get lucky and turn that trade into a decent player from the next draft. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I mean Beasley basically had the same yards per catch last year as he did his last season in Dallas.

That is totally incorrect.

He averaged over 10 yards per catch his last season in Dallas(2018).

He did have an awful year in 2017 where he averaged about the same ypc as last year on a woeful 50% catch percentage.

If he'd had that year going into free agency he'd have had to accept a 1 year prove it deal somewhere.

It's not uncommon for veteran players to still get lots of opportunities(out of necessity) in a season where they are cratering athletically.........and then end up not even getting job offers the next season despite some counting statistics that look solid.       Teams don't just watch tape and box score scout to make those decisions anymore.   

At the same time sometimes a washed up player can still serve an important role.    Frank Gore did just that in Buffalo in 2019 even though he no longer had the speed and quickness to be a frontline performer.    His ability to carry a heavy load early in the season when his backup was a rookie and his "give you 3 yards when you need 2 and give you 3 yards when you need 4" kept the Bills on schedule offensively and helped shorten games for a defense first team.

In a sense........this Bills offense is also limited......and Beasley........washed as he likely is........may be able to provide the Bills with a guy who can catch the ball consistently and keep the offense on schedule.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

The best O-lineman Beane drafted was a 5th-round pick who quickly became a pro-bowl guard for the Browns after one year with the Bills. 

So..."quickly" means "after his 4th year in the league to you?  (Teller was drafted in 2018.  Pro bowl season was 2021)  Not saying this is you, but there's a lot of "20-20 hindsight" involved in the Teller situation.

Overall, teams hit on something like 30% of their 1st-3rd round picks ("hit on" meaning guy becomes a serviceable player, not necessarily an all pro).

Teams hit on more like 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 of their later round picks.  But not hitting, means you have to keep taking shots.  I have nothing against the idea of taking shots on OL in the later rounds, but I'd really like to see Beane make some investment in WR and OL earlier in the draft as well.

I loved Beasley's contributions to the team, but bringing back two WR who are >32 years old, one of whom retired and one of whom hasn't been on a team all season, seems rather like a "desperation play".

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.