Week 15: Dolphins at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I actually really respect Beasley quite a bit more than I expected, from listening to that. 

He acknowledged that there were things he'd like back, that he didn't handle as well as he could have, and that he reached to Beane and to McDermott to talk things through.  He gave an example of one of the family interactions that upset him (a child telling his 7 year old son he couldn't come to his birthday party because his mom "didn't like you") that I think would be hard for any parent to take.

I'm hopeful that however much he plays, he'll be a good and steadying influence in the locker room and perhaps raise the level of WR play overall.  And of course if he plays and contributes even better.

Thanks for this comment BW. I usually don't have time to listen to PC but I made an exception thanks to you and totally agree with you.

I never disrespected Beas (though I didn't like the way he behaved last year and I for sure didn't agree with him on that topic I don't want to mention), but I really liked what I saw here. I really liked the way he was able to admit he made some mistakes. It seemed very honest to me.

Now let's hope he is ready to contribute on the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Philo said:

Too lazy to look it up, but I believe he was DNP/DNP/Limited last week and looked great on Sunday. I'm guessing it's just load management or a veiled vet rest day for him at this point. 

He was....that’s what I was thinking, but we won’t know for sure until tomorrow.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

He has one of the worst tackling percentages on the team, if I'm not mistaken. He's usually at the right spot to make the play, though.

Second person to point this out, thanks. I wonder though, if he has such a high percentage due to the fantastic ability he has to always be around the ball. Not excusing the percentage , just wonder if his ability provides more attempts at tackles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Second person to point this out, thanks. I wonder though, if he has such a high percentage due to the fantastic ability he has to always be around the ball. Not excusing the percentage , just wonder if his ability provides more attempts at tackles.

There might be something to it situationally, like often being the first to get to a RB, but I'm pretty sure it's been an issue his whole career and was a knock on him as a prospect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Remember when America ( and Australia) used to make stuff?

Australia fascinated me as a youth -- and I loved the popular culture they were exporting, some or all of which may seem cheesy to folks nowadays. Just off the top of my head, Paul Hogan before Crocodile Dundee, Mad Max, Men At Work, INXS, Eurogliders . . . alas, the vibe I get in both countries nowadays is late Rome decadence and general ennui. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If Beane and McDermott can forgive him for being the pain in the butt he was around the facility last season and talk it all out like Beasley said they did, then I can say, “Welcome back to the fold.” Cole seems genuinely contrite in wanting to right the wrongs from last season and I have a lot of respect for that. I hope he made amends with other people in various parts of the building as well. It was sometimes difficult for trainers, medical staff, and others around the team to navigate his refusal to follow certain protocols the first couple of months of last season.

And it’s heartbreaking to hear that story about his son. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I actually really respect Beasley quite a bit more than I expected, from listening to that. 

He acknowledged that there were things he'd like back, that he didn't handle as well as he could have, and that he reached to Beane and to McDermott to talk things through.  He gave an example of one of the family interactions that upset him (a child telling his 7 year old son he couldn't come to his birthday party because his mom "didn't like you") that I think would be hard for any parent to take.

I'm hopeful that however much he plays, he'll be a good and steadying influence in the locker room and perhaps raise the level of WR play overall.  And of course if he plays and contributes even better.

Lots of emotions last year.  If things are OK with the management and the team, and Bease is good with everything, then it's

all "water under the bridge" with me too. 

All I have left to say is work hard Cole and help the team to achieve its goal! 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He has one of the worst tackling percentages on the team, if I'm not mistaken. He's usually at the right spot to make the play, though.

Matt leads the team in solo tackles, and he also leads the team in TFL.

This "statistical" talking point, that for some seem to think is a deficiency, is negligible to me.

It averages 1 missed tackle per game.  His positive impact both in TFLs, run stopping and pass defense far outweigh one miss a game.

I'm not going to look up the stats and watch film, but I would say I imagine that of the 12 missed tackles (Pro Football Reference stats)

there were plays that Matt flew at a guy and caused him to break off his play enough for another Bills defender to clean up the tackle.

That's speculation on my part, but I think it's worth mentioning.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Philo said:

Too lazy to look it up, but I believe he was DNP/DNP/Limited last week and looked great on Sunday. I'm guessing it's just load management or a veiled vet rest day for him at this point. 

Yes, so hopefully he'll follow the same pattern and be at least Limited tomorrow. If he's DNP I'll be concerned.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Lots of emotions last year.  If things are OK with the management and the team, and Bease is good with everything, then it's

all "water under the bridge" with me too. 

All I have left to say is work hard Cole and help the team to achieve its goal! 

Matt leads the team in solo tackles, and he also leads the team in TFL.

This "statistical" talking point, that for some seem to think is a deficiency, is negligible to me.

It averages 1 missed tackle per game.  His positive impact both in TFLs, run stopping and pass defense far outweigh one miss a game.

I'm not going to look up the stats and watch film, but I would say I imagine that of the 12 missed tackles (Pro Football Reference stats)

there were plays that Matt flew at a guy and caused him to break off his play enough for another Bills defender to clean up the tackle.

That's speculation on my part, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I agree that his strengths FAR outweigh his weaknesses. No doubt he's one of the best players on the team.

But if the missed tackles talking point is negligible, then saying "we need Milano to for his tackling" is also negligible. They're two statements that really don't matter. If someone says Milano is a great tackler, then we can remind them that he's really not.

One thing this year for sure is they've needed at least one of the star LBs healthy and at least one of the star safeties healthy in order to play adequate defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree that his strengths FAR outweigh his weaknesses. No doubt he's one of the best players on the team.

But if the missed tackles talking point is negligible, then saying "we need Milano to for his tackling" is also negligible. They're two statements that really don't matter. If someone says Milano is a great tackler, then we can remind them that he's really not.

One thing this year for sure is they've needed at least one of the star LBs healthy and at least one of the star safeties healthy in order to play adequate defense. 

I guess you missed my point.  Matt is around to make more tackles than any other defenseman on the Bills.

Sometimes he is coming from across the field and if he misses 1 per game, I don't care.

Fans can determine his worth any way they want.  He's aces in my book.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.