Week 15: Dolphins at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

I don't want to rely on the cold or snow hurting the Dolphins.  If anything all this talk of how they can't play in the cold is going to motivate them even more.  I suspect they'll put up a good fight but am banking on the fact that our team is better to be the reason we win.  

• Agree 1

Play with Tua's head. I think it was the  coldest Bills game at home back in about 90 versus the Raiders. During the warmups, Bruce, Biscuit and Talley came out in T-shirts and shorts. They only did it for a minute or so and then went back in and changed to lycra suits under their uniforms but  it did work on the Raiders minds.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess you missed my point.  Matt is around to make more tackles than any other defenseman on the Bills.

Sometimes he is coming from across the field and if he misses 1 per game, I don't care.

Fans can determine his worth any way they want.  He's aces in my book.

I didn't miss it at all. Its just a misplaced argument. The defense as a whole is aces in my book, but tackling has been a problem and Milano is not one of the better ones. Taron, Hamlin, and most of the DL are all around to make tackles and the fact is that they miss too many. So saying "we need Milano for his tackling" is a misconception. We certainly need Milano in general.

40 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Ok then.  Keep a stiff upper lip young man, but I am not buying the lack of concern.

Yeah.  He is full of shite.  It is in his already.

It's certainly in their heads. We'll see if they can do enough to overcome it. They're clearly doing everything they can to get into the right mentality. They need this game if they want any chance to win the division. They really needed the Chargers game too.

I don't think they have it in them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It's okay, I still get to watch the games. I DVR them too. 

I notice that the Dolphins like to blitz their DBs. I hope Josh sees them coming. He didn't recognize a couple during Jets game. 

But the experience of watching the game live with other bills fans, either in the stadium or in a bar is such a big part of being a bills fan imo.  

i understand though, gotta do what you gotta do.  

i’m scared as hell of that blitz.  Herbert looked like 2020 Josh allen avoiding the blitz and making them pay.  But he also has better playmakers to choose from.  Hopefully Josh is on his game

I’m sure Miami will be wearing all white uniforms too.  hopefully he can see them in his peripheral. 

48 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Best defensive player in the game wants a Josh Allen Jersey. Game recognizes game.

Defensive players will only get a 17 jersey after he hurdles them in a game. Thems the rules. He’ll sign it while airborne.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

OMG all these crazy insane naive quotes about snow and the weather - it's like it's the Spinal Tap version of Hard Knocks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Regarding @Beck Waterand @Patrick Duffy conversation discussing Zimmer and potentially intercepting information from audible or verbiage at the LOS.

I can speak to this a bit from my own experience. Often times teams employ an indicator within a cadence similar to baseball. Generally it has some sort of deeper meaning to help drive home comprehension and retention for players. Indicators can change each week, each series or even each play. So you can hear all the names and numbers all you want, but if you do not know the indicator, you cannot figure out what specifically prompted that play call.

One easy example and well known in my circle is something along the lines of “Washington 310, 278….” The word Washington, as in the first president, means we are running the first call (310). 

On the next play, you may change the indicator such as “416 Hamilton, Hamilton” as in a man who was never a president. This is a dummy call. Carry on with the play call from the huddle. 

There are limitless variations of ways guys mask calls. One example that would be relative to Zimmer would be a fold block (pin and pull, as it’s known these days). An OL may decide a theme for these things, such as “dance” or “colors” or “candies” at the beginning of the year. Generally you’d carry that theme for as long as you feel it is working. Let’s say they went with “dance”…you may have a play call where defensive alignment confuses the OL so communication is necessary. The RT calls “Tango” to indicate, “hey, block down and I’ll pull around.” Next series, the same fold call may be “waltz, waltz”

You see and hear a lot of this stuff across the league, like almost any obvious passing down a QB telling his line “Roger” or some variation of a work with R…generally you’ll get the line sliding right. 

It’s really, REALLY difficult to pick up on this stuff. The game happens so quick, and there is continuous information flowing in from the sidelines as guys are sucking air and trying to read pre-snap ques. Sometimes offenses don’t even care if they know the call, in certain situations.

I also am not worried about Zimmer. What is more worrisome would be physical tells, alignments, habits, that can generally be subconscious, yet give away hints to the defense. 

I played on a really great option football team, and I remember vividly a game where we could NOT find any success to my side. By the end of the game, the MLB was calling it out pre-snap. “It’s off tackle here!” Turns out, after a bit of a self-scout, I had all season been slightly widening my split on options/outside zones after my initial stance. What a dumb dumb I was and I didn’t even realize it. 

NFL players and coaching staffs are experts and preventing these and finding them. As far as the language component, I don’t think it’ll be a factor at all. Just my 2 cents

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

So I’m trying to buy 1 playoff ticket tomorrow. I see there’s a “member pre-sale”. Is that a season ticket holder thing? I’ll be flying in solo from Utah for my first live home game, been to a lot of road games over the last 33 years.

does anyone have a pre sale code they’d be willing to share via DM or text? Thanks!!!

Dawson Knox mentioned in an interview that he hopes it is as cold as it can possibly be Saturday Night. There is no doubt these guys want payback for Week 3. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/dawson-knox-in-the-cold-is-how-football-is-meant-to-be-played

Starts at 1:35

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You wish it were colder, yet have a second shirt on under your t-shirt in an air conditioned room when your pansy-ass players have on pants and hoodies because it's too cold for them already. Got it.  Might wanna wear some socks on Saturday, Beefcake.

Is "beefcake" some kind of insult now? Or do you have a thing for him?

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Regarding @Beck Waterand @Patrick Duffy conversation discussing Zimmer and potentially intercepting information from audible or verbiage at the LOS.

I can speak to this a bit from my own experience. Often times teams employ an indicator within a cadence similar to baseball. Generally it has some sort of deeper meaning to help drive home comprehension and retention for players. Indicators can change each week, each series or even each play. So you can hear all the names and numbers all you want, but if you do not know the indicator, you cannot figure out what specifically prompted that play call.

One easy example and well known in my circle is something along the lines of “Washington 310, 278….” The word Washington, as in the first president, means we are running the first call (310). 

On the next play, you may change the indicator such as “416 Hamilton, Hamilton” as in a man who was never a president. This is a dummy call. Carry on with the play call from the huddle. 

There are limitless variations of ways guys mask calls. One example that would be relative to Zimmer would be a fold block (pin and pull, as it’s known these days). An OL may decide a theme for these things, such as “dance” or “colors” or “candies” at the beginning of the year. Generally you’d carry that theme for as long as you feel it is working. Let’s say they went with “dance”…you may have a play call where defensive alignment confuses the OL so communication is necessary. The RT calls “Tango” to indicate, “hey, block down and I’ll pull around.” Next series, the same fold call may be “waltz, waltz”

You see and hear a lot of this stuff across the league, like almost any obvious passing down a QB telling his line “Roger” or some variation of a work with R…generally you’ll get the line sliding right. 

It’s really, REALLY difficult to pick up on this stuff. The game happens so quick, and there is continuous information flowing in from the sidelines as guys are sucking air and trying to read pre-snap ques. Sometimes offenses don’t even care if they know the call, in certain situations.

I also am not worried about Zimmer. What is more worrisome would be physical tells, alignments, habits, that can generally be subconscious, yet give away hints to the defense. 

I played on a really great option football team, and I remember vividly a game where we could NOT find any success to my side. By the end of the game, the MLB was calling it out pre-snap. “It’s off tackle here!” Turns out, after a bit of a self-scout, I had all season been slightly widening my split on options/outside zones after my initial stance. What a dumb dumb I was and I didn’t even realize it. 

NFL players and coaching staffs are experts and preventing these and finding them. As far as the language component, I don’t think it’ll be a factor at all. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for writing that out!  Matches with what I was told - the playcalls are the same, but the indicators which tell the players the playcall are varied.

And yeah, we got kinda bogged into verbal cues, but observations about physical tells are a Thing.

I will love y'all to be right that any inside info from Zim won't matter.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

From the practice report the Bills issued, Bates and Milano DNP

McDaniel is my least favorite coach in the NFL right now, even more so than the Hoodie because of the Tua fiasco.   To see McDaniel get up in front of the cameras and pontificate that he would have never sent Tua back out onto the field if he was injured and say it all with a straight face was too much for me.  "That's not what I'm about", he finished with.  Apparently he and the medical team in Miami were the only ones who didn't know Tua was concussed. 

McDaniel put Tua back out there to win a game to protect his career and then went out in front of the media and lied about it to protect his pocket book.  

What a jerk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The weather/temperature is clearly already having an impact on the Dolphins...even if they end up playing fine in it, they clearly are spending mental energy on it now.  It's like they are giving it a lot of power in their minds (i.e. its worrrrkkkkkiiiinnnggggggg)

I mean, there's no way it can't be. They have to prepare for it as best they can. It's in the Bills' heads too, albeit to a lesser extent. They have to prepare for it too, but the main difference is that they won't be as shocked by it on game day.

There's a lot of false bravado coming from McDaniels and Tua. McDaniels saying they don't even monitor it/think about it and Tua saying it snows in Alabama too. I can't picture McD or Josh saying anything like that. I imagine them just saying "yeah, we're monitoring the weather and will be prepared as best we can."

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I mean, there's no way it can't be. They have to prepare for it as best they can. It's in the Bills' heads too, albeit to a lesser extent. They have to prepare for it too, but the main difference is that they won't be as shocked by it on game day.

There's a lot of false bravado coming from McDaniels and Tua. McDaniels saying they don't even monitor it/think about it and Tua saying it snows in Alabama too. I can't picture McD or Josh saying anything like that. I imagine them just saying "yeah, we're monitoring the weather and will be prepared as best we can."

If you compare to how McDermott prepares for a September game in Miami, it’s the total opposite. He’s hyper focused on doing as much as possible and acknowledging the impact. Typically he’s successful too. This year they did everything they could but it was not to be overcome. But at least they can say they did everything they could to prepare. There isn’t anything the Fish can do to practice in it, but I would think taking it seriously and adjusting the game plan accordingly would be on the agenda. Maybe they will and this is all a bunch of fake hubris, but not sure how that benefits them to pretend it’s only a “mindset” and that snowflakes in the south make you ready for buffalo snow and that Tua will be able to do everything he normally can as long as he can grab the ball

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.