Like a bad pimple that keeps coming back, Peterman elevated to Bears active roster.

Draconator

19 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

5+ mil in career earnings.  He must be doing something right to still be in the NFL. 

I root for him as I can see myself in him somehow ha ha. OK, that's quite a stretch, but one can dream. He's made so much money that I salute his resilience. 

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not to get political, but how does this guy have a job and Kaep doesn't?  

10 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

All that and Kapernick can't get a tryout?? Common man....

When people sue employers it does not encourage employers to sign you.

And Kapernick was given a tryout and was not signed by Seattle's QB Whisperer reportedly for financial reasons so I would guess he would want a lot more than Peterman and would not be willing to be on practice squad and elevated when #1 QB and #2 QB were not elevated.

But continue beating that dead horse bringing up same points made in other threads.

For the Bills, he was fine in practice, but his nerves got the best of him in games.  After several years in the league, he may have calmed down enough to actually produce in games. I have nothing against him.  He's been a fringe player not for quite a while, but he may have actually improved over time.  Don't know if he'll ever get a chance to show it.

Sometimes a team decides it's out of the playoff run, or that if it somehow manages to sneak into the playoffs, it'll surely be one and done.

Sometimes that team changes QBs as a not-so-subtle way of tanking.

Sometimes that new QB plays the role perfectly. It's not as easy as it seems! You have to be marginally acceptable as an NFL QB or the fans (and in turn the players, coaches and ownership) will revolt. But you can't be good enough that the team actually is better with you than it was with the guy you replaced; that ruins everything.

Nate Peterman is that first guy - the guy who was so bad that the tank was immediately called off and the status quo mediocrity (Tyrod) was reinistated. We saw the same thing this year with Indy going with the utterly unprepared Sam Ehlinger. You can do this in Game 17 (think "Cardale Jones gets the start") because that fan revolt doesn't matter anymore. But you can't do it in Game 11. So my theory of "tank but don't look like you're actually trying to lose" means Peterman gets activated and then gets the Week 17 start when Fields sits out with a phantom injury.

Meanwhile, guys like Taylor Heinecke and Gardner Minshew screw up your tank-and-get-better-draft-position strategy by actually being an improvement over the incumbent. You do not want these guys anywhere near your non-playoff team!

15 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

For the Bills, he was fine in practice, but his nerves got the best of him in games.  After several years in the league, he may have calmed down enough to actually produce in games. I have nothing against him.  He's been a fringe player not for quite a while, but he may have actually improved over time.  Don't know if he'll ever get a chance to show it.

So you think it is possible for him to follow Geno Smith model. 

If he is lucky he will be signed as backup QB in Seattle next year for the QB Whisperer to remodel.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So you think it is possible for him to follow Geno Smith model. 

If he is lucky he will be signed as backup QB in Seattle next year for the QB Whisperer to remodel.

Something like that is impossible to predict.  Peterman does not have the arm that Geno Smith has, and that limits his ceiling.  At best, he's probably a game managing backup, but he can make a career out of that if he can get his nerves under control and if he has improved his ability to read NFL defenses.

11 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Something like that is impossible to predict.  Peterman does not have the arm that Geno Smith has, and that limits his ceiling.  At best, he's probably a game managing backup, but he can make a career out of that if he can get his nerves under control and if he has improved his ability to read NFL defenses.

I see no reason why he can't be Trevor Siemien. 

Yeah, that's not good, but it's a perfectly acceptable backup.

I don't know why (maybe I'm just too nice a person?), but I want him to have a tiny bit of success before he hangs up the cleats.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I see the article mentions his 573 yards passing and 3 tds he had before joining the Bears, but fail to mention the 12 ints.😂

🎶You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative🎵
🎵Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In Between🎶

😁

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

What is wrong with you folks?

Wish him the best and move on. 

He's got some things NFL teams want. That's why he's still around. He'll never be a starter, but he has some things that are valued. It's not like most 2nd and 3rd stringers are secret Peyton Mannings.

• Like (+1) 4

59 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's got some things NFL teams want. That's why he's still around. He'll never be a starter, but he has some things that are valued. It's not like most 2nd and 3rd stringers are secret Peyton Mannings.

You fail to mention what those things are that are valued…,  it certainly isn’t the 3 for 12 thing…, 😂 Naterman is certainly worth a laugh when his name comes up, I’m thinking its that he buys the team pizza after the games, but hey he has milked a bunch of rich guys for millions so there is that,

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think it's the whole "worst quarterbacked game in NFL history"......and accomplishing that feat in just 2 quarters of play........thing being associated with the Bills.

I don't know what the big deal is........they did have one series without an interception in that half.  

Granted.........the Chargers dropped a sure pick 6 on third down on that drive..........but you are what your record says you are in the NFL and it was NOT his 6th interception of the half!

17 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Anyone here who says they wouldn’t trade lives (the professional part) with peterman in a heartbeat is a liar. 

To suck at your job, but still collect around a million per year?  Yeah, I'll take that all day.  

More power to him.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

To suck at your job, but still collect around a million per year?  Yeah, I'll take that all day.  

More power to him.

He’s still likely top 100 in the world. I doubt many here are that good at their jobs. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

You fail to mention what those things are that are valued…,  it certainly isn’t the 3 for 12 thing…, 😂 Naterman is certainly worth a laugh when his name comes up, I’m thinking its that he buys the team pizza after the games, but hey he has milked a bunch of rich guys for millions so there is that,

Not Peyton Manning, but most 2nd stringers are guys the team hopes can go 50/50 in games if they have to play for 2-4 games.  You want a guy who will give you at least 1.5 TD per INT and 200+ ypg.  Taylor Heineke in Washington is the prototypical example: 3 seasons in Washington, 12-11-1, 34 TD 21 INT 208 Y/G.  Not championship stuff, but good enough to win with a  stout defense.  Earlier in his career, Case Keenum most definitely fit into this category.  Chad Henne probably. Not sure Kyle Allen is quite good enough; the W are good enough in Carolina, the TD/INT were good enough in Washington; neither were good enough in Hou last year - is he recovered enough from that horrific dislocated ankle and broken leg?

Peterman doesn't have enough on-field talent to deserve to be a backup; sorry, he just doesn't.  53 ypg, 4 TD and 13 INT will NOT cut it.  There's a lot of room between a "Secret Peyton Manning" and a guy who can get you a 1.5 TD/INT ratio and 200 ypg.

What I think Peterman's got, that keeps coaches coming back to him, is a head for the game.  I joke that his whiteboard and film room abilities must be off the charts. He's fundamentally "Catnip for Coaches"

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

He’s still likely top 100 in the world. I doubt many here are that good at their jobs. 

I don't think Nate is top 100 in the world, but rather fits in well with the Bears. I would say he's probably the worst QB in the league with let's say at least 100 attempts. 

His QB Rating is so bad that it would actually increase from 39.38 to 39.58 if he had thrown incompletions on all 160 of his career attempts. 

The article below is from 2018, but I believe the rankings are still the same or close to it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2804566-is-nathan-peterman-the-worst-nfl-quarterback-ever.amp.html

"Nathan Peterman is the worst quarterback in modern NFL history among those with as many pass attempts as he has.

Of the 356 quarterbacks who have thrown at least 130 passes in the last 40 years, the 24-year-old Buffalo Bills sophomore ranks dead-last with a passer rating of 32.5.

None of the other 355 passers has a rating below 39":

353. Matt Robinson, 44.1

354. Art Schlichter, 42.6

355. Spergon Wynn, 39.5

356. Nathan Peterman, 32.5

Now his Passer Rating has increased to 39.4, but that still puts him as the worst QB 45 years.

His pick rate has also improved from 9.2 to 8.13, but that still puts him in 2nd to last place, just beating out Peter Tom Lewis who had a 8.2 pick rate. They're the only 2 QBs to have a pick rate higher than 6.9 in the last 45 years with at least 130 attempts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.