Christian McCaffrey traded to the 49ers for multiple 2nd day draft picks

Draconator

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Trent Williams and George Kittle. Deebo goes back outside and aiyuk has been playing better. It’s gonna be successful as long as their players stay healthy 

Trent Williams lol I understand what your saying but you can’t depend on that guys health in the slightest. Kittle has been almost a non factor so far this season so I don’t know how much you can depend on him as of right now. Also CMC’s health is the big question mark

1 minute ago, Process said:

Dumbest rule /incentive whatever in all of sports. SIX extra third round picks because other teams decided to hire their coaches? Laughable.

The rule is flawed, for sure, but the progress on display is at least very positive: the league's coaching staffs FINALLY (incrementally) more closely representing the diversity of its players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good point from a 49ers fan (about not letting the Rams get him):

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/196281-cmc-is-a-49er-yes/page35/search=Hoovtrain#post521

Adds a major weapon* - 2nd round pick
Kept him from the rams - 3rd round pick
Under control for 3.5 seasons - 4th round pick
Sweetener - 2024 pick

*If healthy

Ballsy boom or bust move!

• Like (+1) 1

For a team that doesn’t have a huge QB contract, trading for CMC makes a ton of sense given the heavy comp it clearly would’ve taken. 

I totally get why SF did this. 

For teams with elite QB’s and corresponding contracts in place or upcoming, this would’ve been wildly irresponsible for the GM to do. 

Kind of a weird trade, but hey it works for us. Really surprised by how much Kittle has been an afterthought in that offense this year and that's likely only going to continue now. He was the second coming of Kelce seemingly a year ago, now he's lucky to get 6 targets a game.

Feels like a situation with too many mouths and not a good enough QB to feed them all, but will definitely be interesting to watch.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t see how. San Frans o line is dog *****. Who on that line is gonna create holes for CMC to run through?

I do have metrics to back this observation up. (Football Outsiders)

SF Oline is ranked 24th out of 32 teams. Rankings (Higher is worse):

power ranking is 21/32

stuff rate is 24/32

2nd level blocking 22/32

open field 8/32

Pass blocking 10/32

Buffalo Oline is 19/32

Power 22/32

Stuffed Rate 27/32

2nd Level 9/32

open field 6/32

Pass Blocking 4/32

Just now, chongli said:

1200px-Wishbone_Formation.svg.png

Similar to what Baltimore deploys

• Like (+1) 1

I doubt this works out well considering CMC & Jimmy G’s injury history. But considering the parity in the NFC & the fact the Eagles, Cowboys & Giants will beat each other up, and the Vikings are the Vikings this move makes sense. If the NFC playoffs goes through Minnesota I like the Niners speed at the skill positions in a offensive friendly dome. 

CMC is damn near washed. What a ridiculous trade for the 49ers.

I said at the beginning of the season that I would rather have Barkley, and got laughed at (obviously not going to happen now with how well the Giants are playing now). There's way, way more tread on his tires and he's a better player at this point.

Thank god our GM was smart enough to stay away from this foolishness.

Trades we don’t make or players we don’t sign = genius

Trades we make or players we do sign = genius

The rule of your always right. 

CMC would have been a decent addition. It adds a guy that a D is scared of. No one is scared of any of our RB. Could have opened things up a bit for us. Oh well. We are still the best team. I do hope we bring in a safety, OL help or another wr/te. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess that's a move you make when you don't have a QB.

It really isn't though. When you don't have a QB, every move you make should be about setting yourself up to get one. The 49ers have hit the absolute ceiling of a team with a mediocre QB - make the Super Bowl and lose to a superior QB. Their rushing offense has been really good for years. The more I think about this trade the less it makes sense.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

OBJ is the move here. Use emotion, best path to the super bowl and cash in next year with a big final contract….

If we sign OBJ, it's probably a multi-year contract with dummy years tacked on to lessen the cap him.

I'd much rather sign a free agent than use draft picks on an injury-prone running back.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Trades we don’t make or players we don’t sign = genius

Trades we make or players we do sign = genius

The rule of your always right. 

Uh, no. Not a single person on here was asking us to give up this much for McCaffrey. Trades aren't done in a vacuum. I was a huge proponent of trading for him but not for that haul.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For a team that doesn’t have a huge QB contract, trading for CMC makes a ton of sense given the heavy comp it clearly would’ve taken. 

I totally get why SF did this. 

For teams with elite QB’s and corresponding contracts in place or upcoming, this would’ve been wildly irresponsible for the GM to do. 

Meanwhile, they invested in Lance- those picks could be used on much need OL, and. more wr’s, RBs and defense that will be building blocks of the Trey Lance era.  Now they just added a big Rb contract while having to pay Bosa this offseason.  They aren’t paying a QB big bucks but they aren’t in a great spot cap wise.  Unless they view mccaffery as Lances’ Diggs, this move seems desperate and in serious win now mode.  They mortgaged part of their future for another injury prone rb

2 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

Don't forget the bills have used two 3rds and a 2nd on RBs in the last three drafts- we have quite a bit invested in the position

Yes, we have quite a bit invested—— and it’s less than half of what the Niners have invested.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

CMC would have been a decent addition. It adds a guy that a D is scared of. No one is scared of any of our RB. Could have opened things up a bit for us. Oh well. We are still the best team. I do hope we bring in a safety, OL help or another wr/te. 

Sorry, but are we really sure that defenses are "scared" of a guy that has rushed for 3 touchdowns in the last two years? I think everybody's in wait and see mode, not fearful. 2019 was a very long time ago in football years.

Also fun fact - Singletary has averaged more yards per carry in his career. 4.7 to CMC's 4.6

Edited by Nelius

Everyone talking about what Niners spent previously on RB’s.  Who cares.  It’s a pointless and short sighted way to look at this.

That’s a sunk cost.  It’s gone.  It’s irrelevant.  Only fans obsess over that.  GM’s job is to win a SB and make a move today that increases those chances.  What they did before doesn’t matter in how this move impacts those odds.

And make no mistake about it…The Niners made a move today that elevates them from contender to possible favorite to reach the SB in the NFC.

They paid a lot, and they are probably the only team in the NFL trade makes sense for.  He is an absolute perfect fit for their style of play and offense.  It’s an offense built on running the ball and playing tough defense.

This would have been a HORRIFIC trade for say the Bills.  There was zero percent chance Bills and Beane would have ever considered this much for a RB on a pass dominant team with the best QB in the league.  

But for the 49ers, who are a SB contender before the trade, this is the kind of move that can put them over the top in the NFC.  Their issue remains health on the defensive side of the ball.  But once they get some guys back, this will be my favorite to make the SB in the NFC.

I would NOT have paid this…but for the Niners, I think the trade makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh, no. Not a single person on here was asking us to give up this much for McCaffrey. Trades aren't done in a vacuum. I was a huge proponent of trading for him but not for that haul.

This board would have been 10 days of pure meltdowns if buffalo traded that many picks. Especially considering they would of had to include a 1st 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

Don't forget the bills have used two 3rds and a 2nd on RBs in the last three drafts- we have quite a bit invested in the position

Yes, we used 3 picks, but we got 3 players.

How many players did the 9ers get for all those picks? And how many are on the current roster?

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile, they invested in Lance- those picks could be used on much need OL, and. more wr’s, RBs and defense that will be building blocks of the Trey Lance era.  Now they just added a big Rb contract while having to pay Bosa this offseason.  They aren’t paying a QB big bucks but they aren’t in a great spot cap wise.  Unless they view mccaffery as Lances’ Diggs, this move seems desperate and in serious win now mode.  They mortgaged part of their future for another injury prone rb

Yes, we have quite a bit invested—— and it’s less than half of what the Niners have invested.  

What big RB contract? Carolina is on the hook to pay his signing bonuses over the next 2 years, all of them.

There are no escalators or new guarantees in his contract.

2022 - $1.03 million, of which SF is responsible for $670k

2023 - 11.8 million ($0 guaranteed)

2024 - 11.8 million ($0 guaranteed)

2025 - 12 million ($0 guaranteed)

SF takes on his base salary - that is it and it is not guaranteed. If they cut him - $0 cap penalty.

They have $25+ million in cap space in 2023 before resigning anyone.

A restructure lowers it to $7M easily, leaving SF with CMC and $18M in cap space.

Potential restructure

2023 - Base $1.08 M (minimum for 6 accrued seasons) - Signing Bonus $6M - $7.08 cap hit (8th among RBs)

2024 - Base $1.21 M (min for 7 AS) - Signing Bonus - $6M - $7.21M cap hit (8th among RBs)

2025 - Base $1.25 M (min for 8 AS) - Signing Bonus - $7M

2026 - Base $0 (VOIDABLE YEAR) - Signing Bonus - $8

2027 - Base $0 (VOIDABLE YEAR) - Singing Bonus - $8

this is just one example of a restructure SF can do to lower CMC's cap hit to 7-8M a season. Rich for Buffalo, but easy for SF to absorb.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

What big RB contract? Carolina is on the hook to pay his signing bonuses over the next 2 years, all of them.

There are no escalators or new guarantees in his contract.

2022 - $1.03 million, of which SF is responsible for $670k

2023 - 11.8 million ($0 guaranteed)

2024 - 11.8 million ($0 guaranteed)

2025 - 12 million ($0 guaranteed)

SF takes on his base salary - that is it and it is not guaranteed. If they cut him - $0 cap penalty.

They have $25+ million in cap space in 2023 before resigning anyone.

A restructure lowers it to $7M easily, leaving SF with CMC and $18M in cap space.

Potential restructure

2023 - Base $1.08 M (minimum for 6 accrued seasons) - Signing Bonus $6M - $7.08 cap hit (8th among RBs)

2024 - Base $1.21 M (min for 7 AS) - Signing Bonus - $6M - $7.21M cap hit (8th among RBs)

2025 - Base $1.25 M (min for 8 AS) - Signing Bonus - $7M

2026 - Base $0 (VOIDABLE YEAR) - Signing Bonus - $8

2027 - Base $0 (VOIDABLE YEAR) - Singing Bonus - $8

this is just one example of a restructure SF can do to lower CMC's cap hit to 7-8M a season. Rich for Buffalo, but easy for SF to absorb.

Yeah….they can restructure it to 7-8M a year-  which is still a big Rb contract imo.  And who’s to say he won’t want more than 7-8M a year?  Miami gabe chase edmunds 7.5.  

They were paying their starting Rb 800k.  Now they have to pay a lot more….. for a Rb that gets injured every year.  It’s a huge roll of the dice especially behind their OL.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah….they can restructure it to 7-8M a year-  which is still a big Rb contract imo.  And who’s to say he won’t want more than 7-8M a year?  Miami gabe chase edmunds 7.5.  

They were paying their starting Rb 800k.  Now they have to pay a lot more….. for a Rb that gets injured every year.  It’s a huge roll of the dice especially behind their OL.

I understand the point that you and folks who were not on board with CMC to Buffalo are making. FYI 7-8 million would rank 8th in RB salary among current contracts in 2023 and 2024. That is before any new RB contracts or restructures. It is James Conner/ Leonard Fournette money.

CMC is still not the highest paid RB on SF then. They will only pay him $670k this year. That is it. If they cut bait with him cut or trade him in the offseason SF wouldn't owe him another penny or have any cap hit. This is why I, and others, viewed him as a perfect rental and gamble. Where I am ok with not getting CMC is giving up 4 solid picks for a 2/3rd of a season rental is too expensive. Carolina had to get a haul of picks because they f*&$#d up heir picks and only had 4 going into next year's draft. They are also responsible for paying $18 million in signing bonuses within the next two seasons. They had to hold out for a haul of picks.

As for 'wanting more money' this is a restructure. The reason players willingly restructure is because base salary is not guaranteed. Signing bonuses are. Right now CMC's 2023-2025 base salary total of @$35 million is not guaranteed. None of it. With a restructure as I proposed 90% of it becomes guaranteed. Who wouldn't take that? And my bonuses were a tad high, I neglected to remove the $3.5 M base from the money stretched out over the signing bonus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.