Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

3 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

They can cut McCaffrey for free after the season if it's really that serious.

Yet some people say that we should give up a 1st or 2nd to sign him.

Giving away those kind of picks just to cut the guy would be just as dumb.

• Agree 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Yet some people say that we should give up a 1st or 2nd to sign him.

Giving away those kind of picks just to cut the guy would be just as dumb.

I think a day 2 pick is the range that may work for both teams.

Whether the Bills want to keep him or not will be effected by his health, his performance, how it all works out.

Let's keep in mind most of us don't know much about how the salary actually works on a practical level. Last year Beane said don't expect much in free agency, everybody parroted "Don't expect much! They have no cap room!" We only appeared to have no cap room but we just moved money around and made it work.

Whether or not they want to move money around and make it work for McCaffrey will depend on how it plays out post-trade.

Losing a day 2 pick is not going to make or break this franchise. They've used 2nd round picks on Cody Ford and Zay Jones and AJ Epenesa and it didn't stop them from building the best roster in the NFL. I understand trading a draft pick is frightening for you but it will be okay, I promise.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I think a day 2 pick is the range that may work for both teams.

Whether the Bills want to keep him or not will be effected by his health, his performance, how it all works out.

Let's keep in mind most of us don't know much about how the salary actually works on a practical level. Last year Beane said don't expect much in free agency, everybody parroted "Don't expect much! They have no cap room!" We only appeared to have no cap room but we just moved money around and made it work.

Whether or not they want to move money around and make it work for McCaffrey will depend on how it plays out post-trade.

Losing a day 2 pick is not going to make or break this franchise. They've used 2nd round picks on Cody Ford and Zay Jones and AJ Epenesa and it didn't stop them from building the best roster in the NFL. I understand trading a draft pick is frightening for you but it will be okay, I promise.

Not to turn around and cut him because we cant afford him it's not. That would be an epically dumb move for a rental.  And the whole cap argument is much different this year than before. Josh, Diggs, Von all huge contracts.  The big ones have already been restructured, so the argument "we did it before, we can do it again", insinuates this offseason is no different than the last one, which couldn't be further from the truth if you look at our projected cap (-$7.5M over) and the laundry list of FA's we have. We already knew going into this offseason we were facing a huge challenge and that's before people started talking about signing a guy with a $12M base salary next year.  

Then the argument shifts to "we can just cut him". Like giving up draft picks for a half season rental makes any sense whatsoever.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Though it’s basically what the Rams did for Miller - gave the Broncos a 2nd and 3rd on 1st November, won the Super Bowl, then he signed a contract with us. 

I have no faith that CMC is the key to us winning the SB or even getting there.

And if we have to waste a 2nd and a 3rd to bring him here and he leaves in the offseason, we are dumber than bricks.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I have no faith that CMC is the key to us winning the SB or even getting there.

And if we have to waste a 2nd and a 3rd to bring him here and he leaves in the offseason, we are dumber than bricks.

If he can stay fit he could be important, though the weakness of the O Line still nags at me and I’d personally prefer us to look at that if anything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

If he can stay fit he could be important, though the weakness of the O Line still nags at me and I’d personally prefer us to look at that if anything.

People seem to swear the problem is our backs and completely ignore the glaring inability of our O-line to be able to run block.  Last in the league in run block win %, but people are convinced if we can just bring in a big name RB, that all goes away.  Makes no sense to me.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Steel City Mafia said:

If they're looking for "something significant" as in a 1st Round Pick - they aren't going to be able to deal him. No one's going to give that up for a RB with his wear and tear and the fact that they'd have to pick up a massive contract if it goes well beyond this season.

I have little doubt that we were one of the teams referenced that were "rebuffed" because the offer wasn't what they're looking for. If it's anything more than Moss, a 3rd next year, and a 5th in 24 for CMC and a 6th in 24 - it's not going to get done.

Beane's not dumb. And he's not going to spend more than that for a guy who is more likely than not viewed as a 1 year rental.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I believe Dorsey and Co wanted a more dynamic RB in his offense and thought Cook was that guy. Cook’s not ready yet. CMC is that guy 

With the ability to take it to the house 

Except his average is less than Singletary and Singletary has had a longer run and a longer reception in 2 of his 4 years.

How explosive is he really compared to his injury potential.

I am fine with the move at the right cost.  Maybe a 3rd or a 3rd and Moss.  

I would not give up a second or a first for CMC any longer - he just is not worth it.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wonder who the other team was.

We used to say this would be a move the Patriots would make because they work magic. Now I'm wondering if this is a move the Patriots make because they're desperate. 

It's take a lot of worries off of a new and struggling QB.

If the Bills look ok running the ball tomorrow I think Beane leaves this alone.

But if the Bills practically have Allen as a one man offense again and then a bye week. Wouldn’t shock me if Beane doesn’t pickup the phone as it would cost next to nothing to have him on the roster till the end of the year.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

We used to say this would be a move the Patriots would make because they work magic. Now I'm wondering if this is a move the Patriots make because they're desperate. 

It's take a lot of worries off of a new and struggling QB.

Yup that was my thought - Patriots, Chiefs or maybe Ravens…

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

But if the Bills practically have Allen as a one man offense again and then a bye week. Wouldn’t shock me if Beane doesn’t pickup the phone as it would cost next to nothing to have him on the roster till the end of the year.

The Panthers are not going to trade CMC for nothing.  So it would cost whatever draft picks and/or players we give up to Carolina in trade.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:55 PM, UKBillFan said:

Though it’s basically what the Rams did for Miller - gave the Broncos a 2nd and 3rd on 1st November, won the Super Bowl, then he signed a contract with us. 

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that's how Beane operates.

Edited by Beck Water

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Between the different reports earlier this week and the report released today, it's pretty clear he already picked up the phone.

The problem is not what it would cost us cap wise this season. The problem is what Carolina is asking in compensation and what it would cost us beyond this season if we wanted to keep him.

Given his injury history and lack of reliability, we'd only be interested in him for this season to try and get over the hump, if he can stay healthy (and that's a BIG if). If they're looking for "significant compensation" - it doesn't make sense for us and won't get done.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

While the Panthers did receive many calls, sources say the team won't hold a fire sale. With a talented roster that still needs a quarterback for the future, Carolina won't be dumping its talented players for several reasons -- with one being it would like to attract a top-notch coach with its talent.

Star running back Christian McCaffrey is receiving the most significant interest from teams, sources say. And while Carolina isn't shopping McCaffrey -- far from it -- the team would listen, as general manager Scott Fitterer has promised would be the case for every deal.

Only an overwhelming return would cause the Panthers to deal one of the faces of their franchise, sources say. Opposing teams wonder if a trade really would get done, but at least there will be talks. Teams are expected to try to trade for McCaffrey.

It feels like the Panthers are intentionally letting teams know they would love to trade McCaffrey for the right price. Schefter and Rapaport don't report anything that doesn't come right from the team or the agent. Suuuure they aren't shopping McCaffrey. But also they're taking calls about him.

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Wow and he gets paid to put this obvious statement out there. Newsflash....ALL teams pick

up the phone and listen to potential offers that could benefit the team. Ohh but deals might not be easy to complete. Just to make that clear. Ohh and both sides need to agree. 

He gets paid to be a mouthpiece for teams and agents. The Panthers are making it known that Robby Anderson and Christian McCaffrey are available, while others like Brian Burns and Derrick Brown and DJ Moore aren't. If Beane is willing to put all his chips in, McCaffrey is ours. Given how last season ended after he failed to close the deal on Von Miller I think he might be a little less cautious this time around and more willing to make the deal that could put us over the top.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Between the different reports earlier this week and the report released today, it's pretty clear he already picked up the phone.

The problem is not what it would cost us cap wise this season. The problem is what Carolina is asking in compensation and what it would cost us beyond this season if we wanted to keep him.

Given his injury history and lack of reliability, we'd only be interested in him for this season to try and get over the hump, if he can stay healthy (and that's a BIG if). If they're looking for "significant compensation" - it doesn't make sense for us and won't get done.

As long as I don’t see him in a Chiefs uniform as this is exactly the kind of move Andy Reid would make. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It feels like the Panthers are intentionally letting teams know they would love to trade McCaffrey for the right price. Schefter and Rapaport don't report anything that doesn't come right from the team or the agent. Suuuure they aren't shopping McCaffrey. But also they're taking calls about him.

He gets paid to be a mouthpiece for teams and agents. The Panthers are making it known that Robby Anderson and Christian McCaffrey are available, while others like Brian Burns and Derrick Brown and DJ Moore aren't. If Beane is willing to put all his chips in, McCaffrey is ours. Given how last season ended after he failed to close the deal on Von Miller I think he might be a little less cautious this time around and more willing to make the deal that could put us over the top.

I don’t think beane is going to overpay it’s that simple. He didn’t do it for von and don’t see him doing it for cmc. If we can get him for a reasonable price it might happen. Gotta remember Dan Morgan is in that front office now. Do you also run the risk of the chiefs getting him? The game tomorrow might give a big answer to both sides 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

100% CMC is completely unnecessary for this team.

“Unnecessary” isn’t the right word. They do need help with the running game, both at RB and OL, but not for this asking price and not at this (injury) risk. 100% CMC is completely unrealistic for this team.

Edited by Airseven

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think it may be the Dolphins, Tampa Bay. Patriots have 4 RBs already with Stevenson, Damien Harris, Strong, Kevin Harris. 

Was thinking dolphins as a possibility too. Tampa bay if they wanna go all in with Brady’s last year. Do you run the risk of those teams getting him if you’re beane? 

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Why the Chiefs or Ravens? Neither can afford him and neither needs help on the offensive side of the ball 

For this year, there isn't a team in the NFL who cannot afford him.

Going forward, none of his salaries are guaranteed, so he could be easily cut.

Biggest issue is what the Panthers would want for him in a trade, and I doubt it's peanuts.

• Steel City Mafia changed the title to CMC rumors! -Albright “Bills Primary Suitor”

I would not give up more than a 4th for a one year rental.  Not to mention you’re taking away from the development of James Cook.  I’m okay with a CMC trade, but not if the cost is what I think it likely is.  Beane will do the right thing.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Steel City Mafia changed the title to CMC rumors! -Albright “Bills Primary Suitor” and Made offer that was turned down
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.