Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Our RB's have the 5th most passing targets in the league this year.

That's because of our pass heavy offense, but compared to our other skill positions, that's nothing. So what's going so wrong in our pass offense we need CMC?

Allen has the most yards in the league.

Edited by Billz4ever

• Simon changed the title to Christian McCaffrey rumors
5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That's because of our pass heavy offense, but compared to our other skill positions, that's nothing. So what's going so wrong in our pass offense we need CMC?

We throw the 10th most in the league percentage wise to our running backs this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Dude, if you think a top 5 back on our team wouldn't make a difference, you're insane. It's not just our line that's the problem 

okay dude. But here’s the thing - he hasn’t been a top 5 running back for a couple years now. He certainly isn’t in Carolina currently, and he’s already popping up on the injury report with (at least for now) minor issues. 

And as much as you want to claim all the Bills’ RBs are contributors to “the problem” the fact is the run blocking of the O line is the primary problem. 

Of course there is no real problem, because no team needs an elite RB; certainly not a team with a QB the caliber of Allen. See: actual numbers, like point differential, 3rd down efficiency, etc…

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That's because of our pass heavy offense. So what's going so wrong in our pass offense we need CMC?

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We throw the 10th most in the league percentage wise to our running backs this year.

I still don't get your point and you fail to put that into perspective with how much we throw to our WRs and TEs.

Just now, Billz4ever said:

I still don't get your point and you fail to put that into perspective with how much we throw to our WRs and TEs.

My point is we pass to our running backs a lot.  Fifth most targets in the league (44 targets) and tenth in passing target percentage (22.3%).  The best argument I can think of for bringing in CMC if we're throwing that much to our RB's then we mine as well have the best passing catching running back in the league at are disposal.  Even if he won't help our running production whatsoever because people think it's purely an o-line issue then there's still some value in trading for him because of his pass catching ability.

BTW, we barely ever throw to our tight ends as we rank 31st percentage wise (13.2%, 26 targets overall).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My point is we pass to our running backs a lot.  Fifth most targets in the league (44 targets) and tenth in passing target percentage (22.3%).  The best argument I can think of for bringing in CMC if we're throwing that much to our RB's then we mine as well have the best passing catching running back in the league at are disposal.  Even if he won't help our running production whatsoever because people think it's purely an o-line issue then there's still some value in trading for him because of his pass catching ability.

BTW, we barely ever throw to our tight ends as we rank 31st percentage wise (13.2%, 26 targets overall).  

I predict this will not be the final time you’ll have to attempt to beat these facts into his brain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Hopefully by the playoffs Cook is up to speed.  Dumb use of a pick but they invested in him, so hopefully he becomes that 8 yard per reception RB and somehow produces on the ground as well.  But Singletary has also been much improved in the pass game too.   The past 30 years of NFL history indicates that among the last things you want is to go into the playoffs thinking you need to get a certain RB touches..........and with a big name like CMC that would be hard to avoid.

Slot receivers replaced RB's in the passing game for a reason.   Guys like Singletary and McCaffrey have been good for about 5.1-5.3 yards per touch each over the past few seasons.......guys like Cole Beasley and Jamison Crower have averaged 10-11 yards per touch.   Being any kind of RB-centric is a mistake.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hopefully by the playoffs Cook is up to speed.  Dumb use of a pick but they invested in him, so hopefully he becomes that 8 yard per reception RB and somehow produces on the ground as well.  But Singletary has also been much improved in the pass game too.   The past 30 years of NFL history indicates that among the last things you want is to go into the playoffs thinking you need to get a certain RB touches..........and with a big name like CMC that would be hard to avoid.

Slot receivers replaced RB's in the passing game for a reason.   Guys like Singletary and McCaffrey have been good for about 5.1-5.3 yards per touch each over the past few seasons.......guys like Cole Beasley and Jamison Crower have averaged 10-11 yards per touch.   Being any kind of RB-centric is a mistake.

agree with everything here and you hinted at my biggest problem with this idea - if you go get CMC a rental doesn’t make sense with the price you’d have to pay to Carolina. So you’d be necessarily committing to him for a longer term. For the money he makes at a very, very non-premium position, you can’t give him 10-12 touches a game; his presence (if he’s healthy) and contract almost dictate that. 

I don’t see the fit and I don’t even know how good his is anymore. Yes he’s still only 26 but I’d like to see a real bounce back to prior form before entertaining committing to his deal long term and trading away assets for him. Assets that might be used to improve the interior of the offensive line, for instance.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen has been checking down to the backs a lot this year, when he does that it's good to have someone who 1) catches the ball easily and naturally, 2) turns and accelerates up the field quickly and 3) makes tacklers miss. Cook is the only one who may be that but he's not that now, they clearly aren't comfortable with him playing a lot of snaps. If it's a bad draft pick I wouldn't let that stop me from winning the championship, that's the goal, not proving your draft acumen.

McCaffrey does upgrade this team. If you can't run the ball you damn sure better be efficient in the underneath passing game and get YAC, and yes that is going to inevitably include the running backs. Throwing as much as we have to Devin Singletary and Zach Moss this year is just not efficient. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

agree with everything here and you hinted at my biggest problem with this idea - if you go get CMC a rental doesn’t make sense with the price you’d have to pay to Carolina. So you’d be necessarily committing to him for a longer term. For the money he makes at a very, very non-premium position, you can’t give him 10-12 touches a game; his presence (if he’s healthy) and contract almost dictate that. 

I don’t see the fit and I don’t even know how good his is anymore. Yes he’s still only 26 but I’d like to see a real bounce back to prior form before entertaining committing to his deal long term and trading away assets for him. Assets that might be used to improve the interior of the offensive line, for instance.

I’ll just keep repeating myself. He can be traded in the offseason when he will still be 26yo to replace some of what was given up at least. Or not, the Bills will hold all the cards

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It feels like the Panthers are intentionally letting teams know they would love to trade McCaffrey for the right price. Schefter and Rapaport don't report anything that doesn't come right from the team or the agent. Suuuure they aren't shopping McCaffrey. But also they're taking calls about him.

He gets paid to be a mouthpiece for teams and agents. The Panthers are making it known that Robby Anderson and Christian McCaffrey are available, while others like Brian Burns and Derrick Brown and DJ Moore aren't. If Beane is willing to put all his chips in, McCaffrey is ours. Given how last season ended after he failed to close the deal on Von Miller I think he might be a little less cautious this time around and more willing to make the deal that could put us over the top.

Beane is a good GM.  Good GMs dont over pay for an oft injured RB with huge contracts to run a football behind an oline that cant block.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Beane is a good GM.  Good GMs dont over pay for an oft injured RB with huge contracts to run a football behind an oline that cant block.

I refuse to believe the rumors. Beane is too smart to entertain this, I agree.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The past 30 years of NFL history indicates that among the last things you want is to go into the playoffs thinking you need to get a certain RB touches..........and with a big name like CMC that would be hard to avoid.

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

For the money he makes at a very, very non-premium position, you can’t give him 10-12 touches a game; his presence (if he’s healthy) and contract almost dictate that. 

We could actually do whatever we want with him... We don't have to force our offense to revolve around him or give him a certain number of touches per game. I wouldn't expect our entire offensive philosophy to change. He just gives us another element to use in our already elite offense. One more thing for defenses to account for.

At his peak McCaffrey is a game changer. It's a no brainer to add another game changer to our offense for a reasonable price. I would still add OBJ in December too. Imagine the team we've seen so far this year but with Tre White, Christian McCaffrey, and OBJ added in... It's not often that you have a realistic chance to make Madden-esque improvements to your team like that. Leave no room for doubt that the Lombardi is ours for the taking.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I’ll just keep repeating myself. He can be traded in the offseason when he will still be 26yo to replace some of what was given up at least. Or not, the Bills will hold all the cards

Long odds of that happening, and not common in the NFL, but that’s the best possible outcome after getting him I guess. Trade for him, win the ‘ship, flip him for comparable assets after the season to some dumb team who wants to pay a RB like that? Sure. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We could actually do whatever we want with him... We don't have to force our offense to revolve around him or give him a certain number of touches per game. I wouldn't expecy our entire offensive philosophy to change. He just gives us another element to use in our already elite offense. One more thing for defenses to account for.

At his peak McCaffrey is a game changer. It's a no brainer to add another game changer to our offense for a reasonable price. I would still add OBJ in December too. Imagine the team we've seen so far this year but with Tre White, Christian McCaffrey, and OBJ added in... It's not often that you have a realistic chance to make Madden-esque improvements to your team like that. Leave no room for doubt that the Lombardi is ours for the taking.

I get you on the usage aspect, they could and will do whatever they want with him. 

Again though, and I guess this is my biggest disconnect with all the advocates of this move - I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s back in peak form. And personally I wouldn’t move significant assets (which Carolina is demanding) until I saw some evidence of that. Yes, I know the Panthers are a trainwreck with no QB. But the extensive injury history is still there. I’m just not into it. I think the offense is fine and might even get better if Cook improves over the season and the offensive line improves (hope for this most of all.)

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s back in peak form.

In 4 out of 5 games he had over 100 all purpose yards. In fact he's averaging 102.4 all purpose yards per game this year. That's despite playing for possibly the worst offense in football.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We could actually do whatever we want with him... We don't have to force our offense to revolve around him or give him a certain number of touches per game. I wouldn't expect our entire offensive philosophy to change. He just gives us another element to use in our already elite offense. One more thing for defenses to account for.

Totally agree - AT HIS PEAK - McCaffrey is a game changer, but when was his peak?  3 years ago - 2019 maybe.

Right now his numbers suggest he is a middle of the road back.  He definitely has some play as a receiving back, but even that is limited.

For the limited touches and usage - I have no issues with a 3rd rounder or later, but as this team is not at the end or even late in their Super Bowl window - a first or second is just more than I am willing to give up.   

The question for me is 2 fold:

1) As he has played 3 and 7 games the last 2 years and is nicked up by 5 games this year - what are you realistically looking to give up with the knowledge that there is a good chance he is unavailable for the games you need him most for and that to nurse him to those games means giving him little play for the next 10-12 weeks to keep him fresh.

2) What is the long term plan for the position - as I stated the Bills are not the Rams and near the end of their window with an aging QB - they are still pressing near the beginning.  I am not willing to Trade a potential future 4-5 year cheap starter for a 1 year rental that we then cut meaning you do not even get a potential Comp pick.  If there is Compensation worked out to cheaply extend him 3 more years or we give up a 1st and got a 3rd back or additional young players with term - great, but a 2nd contract RB for a 1 year rental with this window - no thanks.

If we could sign him like OBJ for no compensation- great sign me up, but to give up big draft capital for a 1 year rental at this point in the window is just a hard NO.  For the right compensation and length of term - yep he could be a nice add, but I am not risking my window for an oft injured RB.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 4

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In 4 out of 5 games he had over 100 all purpose yards. In fact he's averaging 102.4 all purpose yards per game this year. That's despite playing for possibly the worst offense in football.

that’s fine and impressive considering the QB and coaching situation down there. But it doesn’t really approach his “peak” in ‘18-‘19. Which is fine on it’s own and ignoring the injury history. I’m still in the unknown department on what exactly he does and means to the Bills, with this current run blocking and capable and upcoming guys in the slot, and a 2nd round investment expected to catch the ball as a halfback. 

3 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

you make two points here the first is about his contract is great because only one million guaranteed after this season. Then a sentence later you talk about mccafferey with 4-5 solid years left. So what are you envisioning? Remainder of this season and cut or paying him season by season at a high price tag? 

What I'm saying is get him on the team this year for $600,000 and then work out what you need to work out for another few years. Maybe some kind of reworked deal of some kind. But my point wad just get him on the team now, worry about the rest later

2 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Not sure what games you're watching or how much smoke you're  trying to blow here, but you can look at almost any game this year and Edmunds is lined up directly behind the D-line in traditional MLB fashion.  To try and claim this is some weird LB scheme that couldn't be done by anyone else is laughable and demonstrates a clear lack of understand of LB roles and responsibilities.

LMAO, that's like saying if your O-line sucks at pass blocking and your QB is getting hammered, it's not really the line's fault, it's the QB'S fault.  Get a grip.

Dude, if you are trying to say Nick Chubb would be no better than Devin Singletary in our offense you are insane

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I didn't mean to make it look like I was psyched about the idea of trading for CMC because of all the reasons you mentioned.  Especially if we meet their demands of a high draft pick or multiple day two picks.  The most underrated reason you touched on is Dorsey and Allen would be pressured to force the ball to a big name like CMC.  Plus, there is always an injury concern and he may be a tad slower than he was two seasons ago.

Just trying to explain the added value would have more to do with pass catching than improving our running game like some posters insinuated.  I want to remain a pass happy offense and am perfectly fine with how we've been executing the first five weeks.  I have faith that our run blocking will improve as the season progresses but we'll always be a pass first team.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d argue it may increase the chances 5-10%

The only people saying this are dudes that

A. Doesn't know he's a better pass catcher than RB, still great for 3rd down situations 

B. Is taking zero consideration for how far off the LOS safeties are going to play us, as we get healthy and Gabe develops into a serious deep threat.

This is a move that has a synergistic effect on the Off. 1+1 = 10 situation.

They wanna stay in 2 high look, well gut them underneath with CMC and Knox and slot guy.

They get tired/frustrated with that, start to creep up, josh puts one over their head. Would make life easier for everyone.

Our OL sucks at battling in trenches. Let them in the backfield on a screen. Get on the move into space where they're asked to block smaller Lbs and DBs

Now that's in the back of their head and DL becomes hesitant/patient can't pin their ears back. All the sudden OL looking a lil better

6 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I would love it if Beane could make something happen with Roquan Smith.  And yes, I would give up Edmunds to do it.

LOL!! Could you imagine Smith trying to cover the middle 60% of the field? Cover a TE?

Cool player in 1995.

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Not a replacement, but a place-holder until they draft another 1st round LB.

Speaking of this guy who's name escapes me now, wish we could hear something about how he looks in practice.

Seems like we take the more raw but talented kinda players lately. Definitely a nice luxury when you don't need a guy to step right in...

That said, I'd love to see him get on the field later this year. He was a ST ace wasn't he? That's your ticket to play, and while he's dressed would like to see him come in situationally for blitzing, and obvious run plays

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I get you on the usage aspect, they could and will do whatever they want with him. 

Again though, and I guess this is my biggest disconnect with all the advocates of this move - I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s back in peak form. And personally I wouldn’t move significant assets (which Carolina is demanding) until I saw some evidence of that. Yes, I know the Panthers are a trainwreck with no QB. But the extensive injury history is still there. I’m just not into it. I think the offense is fine and might even get better if Cook improves over the season and the offensive line improves (hope for this most of all.)

He's gone for over 100 yards from scrimmage (rushing/receiving) in nearly every game

He's the same player he's been when healthy in previous seasons 

As for that last part...I'd rather not gamble with an if in Cook when we can have a sure thing in CMC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Totally agree - AT HIS PEAK - McCaffrey is a game changer, but when was his peak?  3 years ago - 2019 maybe.

Right now his numbers suggest he is a middle of the road back.  He definitely has some play as a receiving back, but even that is limited.

For the limited touches and usage - I have no issues with a 3rd rounder or later, but as this team is not at the end or even late in their Super Bowl window - a first or second is just more than I am willing to give up.   

The question for me is 2 fold:

1) As he has played 3 and 7 games the last 2 years and is nicked up by 5 games this year - what are you realistically looking to give up with the knowledge that there is a good chance he is unavailable for the games you need him most for and that to nurse him to those games means giving him little play for the next 10-12 weeks to keep him fresh.

2) What is the long term plan for the position - as I stated the Bills are not the Rams and near the end of their window with an aging QB - they are still pressing near the beginning.  I am not willing to Trade a potential future 4-5 year cheap starter for a 1 year rental that we then cut meaning you do not even get a potential Comp pick.  If there is Compensation worked out to cheaply extend him 3 more years or we give up a 1st and got a 3rd back or additional young players with term - great, but a 2nd contract RB for a 1 year rental with this window - no thanks.

If we could sign him like OBJ for no compensation- great sign me up, but to give up big draft capital for a 1 year rental at this point in the window is just a hard NO.  For the right compensation and length of term - yep he could be a nice add, but I am not risking my window for an oft injured RB.

Well written Rottenchester.  People keep thinking of CMC from 2019.  Whether we extended him for three years or one, it’s a mistake.  Once backs start breaking down, they usually don’t come back.  Look at Henry this year compared to years past.  

On the flip side, OBJ has proven with a chg of scenery he excelled in the stretch for the Rams.  I wouldn’t get over confident about how the rookies played in a broken down team with Pittsburgh.  We could strongly benefit from a boost to the talent on the team in late November through February.  I’ll always take add ons in talent for the right $.

Beane make it happen with OBJ.  For the record, it’s not that I don’t think CMC was the most dynamic RB in the league 3 years ago.  It’s just not good timing for him now.  As an aside, I know our medical and training staff is going to put OBJ to the test to ensure he is really 100% before we would sign him to a contract.

Just think in the divisional round (assuming we win today to get the #1 seed) us having a healthy Diggs, Davis, and OBJ, with rotations to keep fresh McKenzie, and Shakir.  I’m also holding out hope Cook continues to steadily improve with each game as that pass catching RB we need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't mean to make it look like I was psyched about the idea of trading for CMC because of all the reasons you mentioned.  Especially if we meet their demands of a high draft pick or multiple day two picks.  The most underrated reason you touched on is Dorsey and Allen would be pressured to force the ball to a big name like CMC.  Plus, there is always an injury concern and he may be a tad slower than he was two seasons ago.

Just trying to explain the added value would have more to do with pass catching than improving our running game like some posters insinuated.  I want to remain a pass happy offense and am perfectly fine with how we've been executing the first five weeks.  I have faith that our run blocking will improve as the season progresses but we'll always be a pass first team.

Badol, if you’re reading this as it’s a reply to Doc, but you’re 100% on the money.  Better written than myself.  

I don’t think you are and House also stated it, but Cook is a work in progress.  He will be another weapon in time,

but he learning how to play in the NFL.  He’s much cheaper, younger, and far more healthy than CMC.  He may not ever be a Kamara, but he can help this offense when McD trusts him.  That has to be earned.

Cook will have lots of opportunities I. The two Jets games the two Pats games, the Lions, the Vikings, and Chicago.  He. An carry a much heavier load on those games so he works his way into being an asset in the playoffs.  We’re talking about maybe 5-7 short passing targets a game out of 60-65 offensive snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills had a limit on the offer they'd be willing to make and it was nowhere near what the Panthers wanted. Doesn't hurt to try, though.

we have until Nov 1 to negotiate.  Beane is a patient man who doesn't overpay

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well written Rottenchester.  People keep thinking of CMC from 2019.  Whether we extended him for three years or one, it’s a mistake.  Once backs start breaking down, they usually don’t come back.  Look at Henry this year compared to years past

Ummmm... Saquon Barkley

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.