The Bills need to acquire an enforcer on defense.

Tipster19

9 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It doesn’t matter how but before the season begins I would really like to see the Bills acquire a tough guy, an enforcer of some sort on defense. Jerry Hughes was almost that guy a couple of years back but he mellowed out a bit in the last couple of years. He committed too many costly penalties before and now he isn’t even on the team as of right now.

Not to pound a tired drum but the position that would be the best to have a tough guy at would be the MLB. As we all have realized for quite some time is Edmunds is not that guy. Even if it isn’t at that position I would still like to see that type of player somewheres on the defense. Our most physical players on the team right now imo is our Tackles. Dawkins and Brown will take care of Josh but we don’t have a very physical defense and I think that could be the missing aspect for this team to get to the next level. Last night I was thinking of Jack Lambert against the Cowboys when one of their guys were messing with the Steelers’ PK and Lambert just slammed the guy to the ground. THAT’S the kind of mentality that I would like for the Bills’ to possess. I wonder if there’s that kind of player in the draft that we could get.

They have Edmunds. Isn't he a great thumper?

The players you speak of no longer exist in todays NFL because they are not allowed to be that way those players will always be in a different era the only player today that may come close is TJ Watt .

But seeing as the Bills got Jordan Phillips back if he can be the player he was the last year he played for the Bills 9.5 sacks & the pressure he put on opposing teams that would be good enough for me because seeing the need for Miller to be accounted for and don't forget Ed this unit could be exactly what you are looking for ...

9 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It doesn’t matter how but before the season begins I would really like to see the Bills acquire a tough guy, an enforcer of some sort on defense. Jerry Hughes was almost that guy a couple of years back but he mellowed out a bit in the last couple of years. He committed too many costly penalties before and now he isn’t even on the team as of right now.

Not to pound a tired drum but the position that would be the best to have a tough guy at would be the MLB. As we all have realized for quite some time is Edmunds is not that guy. Even if it isn’t at that position I would still like to see that type of player somewheres on the defense. Our most physical players on the team right now imo is our Tackles. Dawkins and Brown will take care of Josh but we don’t have a very physical defense and I think that could be the missing aspect for this team to get to the next level. Last night I was thinking of Jack Lambert against the Cowboys when one of their guys were messing with the Steelers’ PK and Lambert just slammed the guy to the ground. THAT’S the kind of mentality that I would like for the Bills’ to possess. I wonder if there’s that kind of player in the draft that we could get.

This a creative way to start another Edmunds rant. 

"We need a guy like Jerry Hughes who had a lot of costly penalties."  Way to sell your point. 

• Agree 3

I don’t think Charles Oakley or Lambeer will be returning to competitive sports anytime soon. I think we’re out of luck. 

Maybe Rodman when he’s not on a LV bender or cozying up to North Korea? I really don’t think he’s a process guy though. 

Edited by HamSandwhich
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bmur66 said:

There it is. The D definetely lost some "juice" when both of these guys departed. They are both spark plugs and I recall Shaq was primed to take that "enforcer" role.

Don't forget the loss of Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Where is that office linebacker dude when you need him

11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I'm not even sure what's meant by "enforcer"

Do you mean someone who demands accountability from his teammates?

Or do you mean someone who does dirty to opponents (at the risk of costly personal fouls)?

I'm not sure what you mean.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

I don’t think Charles Oakley or Lambeer will be returning to competitive sports anytime soon. I think we’re out of luck. 

Maybe Rodman when he’s not on a LV bender or cozying up to North Korea? I really don’t think he’s a process guy though. 

Maybe Rob Ray? He's already in Buffalo!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not even sure what's meant by "enforcer"

Do you mean someone who demands accountability from his teammates?

Or do you mean someone who does dirty to opponents (at the risk of costly personal fouls)?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Fair question. I misspoke when I said enforcer. It would be nice to see a player(s) bring more physicality to the defense, someone like Devon White from the Bucs.

14 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The enforcer will come from within. Oliver, a rejuvenated Phillips or maybe even Von. When he got healthy last year in the playoffs, that d-line caught fire and played their best football. He will provide the leadership for our underachieving edge rushers,(Epenesa. Lawson Rousseau etc). Don't be surprised to see a highly motivated Edmunds in his walk year. He knows he needs to be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure about an "enforcer", but they do need another versatile LB. Edmunds is UFA in '23 and they're already well over the league average for LB$. Also no depth to speak of.   

Their pre-draft LB meetings so far are an interesting group. 

15 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

For being an ole timer here, you don’t post much. 
Thank you for that. 🤦‍♂️

Since the OP stated he wanted a guy who retired 40 years ago I am going to assume he can't name a guy who currently fits the idea he wants. The NFL is ruled by ultra elite athletes now and simply being tough is a side benefit, not something they care about. The Ronnie Lott's of the world are gone from the NFL.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Since the OP stated he wanted a guy who retired 40 years ago I am going to assume he can't name a guy who currently fits the idea he wants. The NFL is ruled by ultra elite athletes now and simply being tough is a side benefit, not something they care about. The Ronnie Lott's of the world are gone from the NFL.

Chris Jones was a thug on the field 2 years ago in the AFC Championship game, just ask Mongo.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You must have missed when I said Devon White.

21 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Are You Sure GIF by Monty Python

20 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’m intrigued about trading up for Thibodeaux if he starts to slide. He can learn from Von and we’d have an excellent rotation

I watched his YouTube highlights, and damn if dude doesn't bring the nasty....Jesus he's a beast....but I won't allow myself to even dream of Thibodeaux, as I don't imagine him falling past pick 5, and we don't have the real estate to make a jump like that....plus I don't think McDermott would go after him for some reason.

Edited by smuvtalker

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.