Any chance Jerry Hughes takes a below market value offer to try and get that ring?

buffaloboyinATL

I have not heard much about Jerry Hughes and whether he is going to retire or sign with another team.  I was wondering if he would stick around to play with Von Miller, even if the contract was less than what he would usually accept.  And of course, even if he would do it, what would the Bills be willing to pay him and is there room for him on this roster.  If he does not come back, I hope he retires. I'd rather not see him in a different uniform. (Although I was thinking it would be funny if he went back to where we originally got him. The Colts definitely have a ton of cap space) 

Anyone hearing anything about Jerry's plans?

• Haha (+1) 1

He and Miller really play the same spot, so he would have to accept that he’s a back-up and he paid like it.  His numbers over the last few years pretty much tell that story.  He’s still able to get pressure, but he rarely gets home anymore.   It would be fun to see him at DE and Miller playing at LB on passing downs, just let them both go after the QB.   I think his time here is probably done, he’s getting up in age we have 3 young guys, plus Miller now, doesn’t seem there would be room. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He and Miller really play the same spot, so he would have to accept that he’s a back-up and he paid like it.  His numbers over the last few years pretty much tell that story.  He’s still able to get pressure, but he rarely gets home anymore.   It would be fun to see him at DE and Miller playing at LB on passing downs, just let them both go after the QB.   I think his time here is probably done, he’s getting up in age we have 3 young guys, plus Miller now, doesn’t seem there would be room. 

I agree, he would definitely be a part of the rotation, rather than our feature DE, but he may be interested in being on the field with Miller from time to time, and being part of this upcoming season. But I honestly have no idea where his mind is right now.

• Like (+1) 1

I really hope he stays. My hope has nothing to do with (it's his income, not mine) any football realities. He has been a warrior for the Bills and suffered through some gruesome team times. I would like him to hold the Lombardi with the boys and Kim. Like Fred Jackson, he's a Bill for life.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Too late for a billboard?

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who’s got the hookup?

No billboard, but maybe you can talk to my guy over at North Tonawanda Folding Table and Party Supply Warehouse for a custom table.

Ask for Bill Buffulo.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is what I hope happens most.  

start a petition folks!!!

JEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

I woke up this AM thinking the same thing. I hope Jerry has it in him this season to take the pay cut and be part of the rotation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Id rather pay him to be a Quality Control coach.   The guy is done why pay him any sort of millions to still play?   Signing him would take needed snaps away from the young trio we already have.

Well one of the young trio, Epenesa, is terrible. Either Addison or Hughes would be a better option on a one year deal. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

I'd love it if Jerry and Fitz both got a chance to hoist the Lombardi because no two active players would appreciate it more, having been here during the lean years.  But there's not a lot of room for sentimentality.  They know it's a business and wouldn't have any hard feelings.

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The guy is done why pay him any sort of millions to still play?   Signing him would take needed snaps away from the young trio we already have.

He's not done and the jury is still out on at least two of those young guys.  You know what you'll get from Jerry especially if we're not relying on him to be the #1 pressure guy.  I love the idea of Von coming from one side and Jerry from the other, especially when we're protecting a lead.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would honestly take Addison back at this point over Hughes assuming we still want another veteran option at DE in the rotation.

The pressure numbers with hughes are highly misleading because of the simple fact when you don't finish and QB's escape said pressure big plays happens and look no further than what Mahomes (and JA17) have done over and over against the Bills and other teams that create pressure but can't bring him down.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hughes retires because I doubt any team is going to offer him much more than veteran type minimum contract based on his sack numbers in recent years.

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I have not heard much about Jerry Hughes and whether he is going to retire or sign with another team.  I was wondering if he would stick around to play with Von Miller, even if the contract was less than what he would usually accept.  And of course, even if he would do it, what would the Bills be willing to pay him and is there room for him on this roster.  If he does not come back, I hope he retires. I'd rather not see him in a different uniform. (Although I was thinking it would be funny if he went back to where we originally got him. The Colts definitely have a ton of cap space) 

Anyone hearing anything about Jerry's plans?

Vet min with incentives would be my offer. 

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The pressure numbers with hughes are highly misleading because of the simple fact when you don't finish and QB's escape said pressure big plays happens and look no further than what Mahomes

While I agree...having someone on the other side would make his sack numbers go up for sure.  He's basically been playing alone since Alexander retired. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know that there is room for Hughes with Miller on the roster.  To keep Hughes, they might have to cut one of the younger defensive ends they've drafted over the last 3 years.  If they think they youngsters still have untapped upside, that is unlikely.  One thing is pretty certain.  Jerry Hughes has probably run out of untapped upside.

59 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He will end up in Dallas

This is a possibility, though I hope he stays in Buffalo.  My daughter attends TCU and Jerry is revered there.  I struck up a conversation with an elderly woman working in the Bursar's office who said she is a Bills fan because Jerry plays in Buffalo.  She said he is active in the community there and purchased equipment for a local high school football team several years ago.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I would honestly take Addison back at this point over Hughes assuming we still want another veteran option at DE in the rotation.

The pressure numbers with hughes are highly misleading because of the simple fact when you don't finish and QB's escape said pressure big plays happens and look no further than what Mahomes (and JA17) have done over and over against the Bills and other teams that create pressure but can't bring him down.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hughes retires because I doubt any team is going to offer him much more than veteran type minimum contract based on his sack numbers in recent years.

Do you have the QB numbers of when Jerry creates a pressure?  No?  Oh….ok.  So you’re just making things us.  Show us some numbers and then you can say that the numbers are HIGHLY MISLEADING.  
Until then, stop making stuff up to fit your opinion.  

1 hour ago, Lofton80 said:

I hope he sticks around as a rotation guy. The salary cap makes it tough. Pretty sure Sal on WGR said Jerry and his wife both want to stay in Buffalo. 

Bills 3 young DES are the big, rangy , long-armed type and Miller is more of a quick,speed rusher. I want more of THAT in the draft. 

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well one of the young trio, Epenesa, is terrible. Either Addison or Hughes would be a better option on a one year deal. 

Addison maybe.  But Hughes is going to be 34 years old, and had a half a sack more than the "terrible" Epenesa in 228 more defensive snaps.  Epenesa also plays special teams, and Hughes gives you nothing there.  Sorry, the guy is toast and aside from an emotional connection to the fanbase he has nothing left to offer the team. 

39 minutes ago, BRH said:

I'd love it if Jerry and Fitz both got a chance to hoist the Lombardi because no two active players would appreciate it more, having been here during the lean years.  But there's not a lot of room for sentimentality.  They know it's a business and wouldn't have any hard feelings.

He's not done and the jury is still out on at least two of those young guys.  You know what you'll get from Jerry especially if we're not relying on him to be the #1 pressure guy.  I love the idea of Von coming from one side and Jerry from the other, especially when we're protecting a lead.

Jerry Hughes offers the team next to nothing at this point in his career.  He will be 34 years old at the start of the season, and had 2 sacks in 17 games last year.  I'd much rather see what Basham or Epenesa can do with his snaps this year. 

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you have the QB numbers of when Jerry creates a pressure?  No?  Oh….ok.  So you’re just making things us.  Show us some numbers and then you can say that the numbers are HIGHLY MISLEADING.  
Until then, stop making stuff up to fit your opinion.  

Go look on PFF and you can find them. I'm not making anything up.

Again - Jerry Hughes has consistently been among the leagues best the last few years in CREATING PRESSURES, but again it doesn't matter if you are facing a QB like Mahomes and don't finish, those 'pressures' become meaningless and the lack of hard production is amplified (i.e. sacks, turnovers, etc)

This is why Von Miller is now here and Hughes is not, it's that simple....and Hughes would be signed by now if teams actually cared about pressure vs. sacks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Go look on PFF and you can find them. I'm not making anything up.

Again - Jerry Hughes has consistently been among the leagues best the last few years in CREATING PRESSURES, but again it doesn't matter if you are facing a QB like Mahomes and don't finish, those 'pressures' become meaningless and the lack of hard production is amplified (i.e. sacks, turnovers, etc)

This is why Von Miller is now here and Hughes is not, it's that simple....and Hughes would be signed by now if teams actually cared about pressure vs. sacks.

I looked at pff…..I didn’t find the numbers.  

you’re insinuating that he doesn’t cause incompletions with his pressure.  Yes, many QBs are good at evading pressure nowadays.  Especially good at evading pressure when a DL only has one guy with the potential to beat his man on the reg.  The qb just keeps his eye on the stud and hopes the other guys get stuffed. That’s been the case for most of the last 5 years for jerry.  Put him opposite Von and those pressures will turn into more sacks.

Your last paragraph is just wrong.  Christian Kirk is signed and allen robinson isn’t…..so obviously Kirk is better than ARob.  Right?  Oh yeah……no.  Context is everything. The pass rush market has now been set.  Jerry will land somewhere.  Von Miller is here because he’s better than Jerry….. he’s an upgrade. He’s a HoFer.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I looked at pff…..I didn’t find the numbers.  

you’re insinuating that he doesn’t cause incompletions with his pressure.  Yes, many QBs are good at evading pressure nowadays.  Especially good at evading pressure when a DL only has one guy with the potential to beat his man on the reg.  The qb just keeps his eye on the stud and hopes the other guys get stuffed. That’s been the case for most of the last 5 years for jerry.  Put him opposite Von and those pressures will turn into more sacks.

Your last paragraph is just wrong.  Christian Kirk is signed and allen robinson isn’t…..so obviously Kirk is better than ARob.  Right?  Oh yeah……no.  Context is everything. The pass rush market has now been set.  Jerry will land somewhere.  Von Miller is here because he’s better than Jerry….. he’s an upgrade. He’s a HoFer.  

I just want this team to get over the hump.

Again, nothing against Hughes and i'm not jumping for joy because he's not here anymore. I just think we have a much better option now and would be in favor of letting guys like Rouseau/Basham get the bulk of the snaps on the otherside of Miller.

If Hughes (or Addison) come back to this team so be it, it's not going to make us worse.....

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I just want this team to get over the hump.

Again, nothing against Hughes and i'm not jumping for joy because he's not here anymore. I just think we have a much better option now and would be in favor of letting guys like Rouseau/Basham get the bulk of the snaps on the otherside of Miller.

If Hughes (or Addison) come back to this team so be it, it's not going to make us worse.....

Can you link me the numbers?  You saw them right?  Or are you just making it up?  On par for the course I suppose 

I have no issue bringing him back and would actually love to get the guy a ring, but it has to be on a super low salary.  

I am shooting for around vet minimum with incentives and working both Jerry and Shaq Lawson.  If either want to be on the team (1 or the other) I need super low salary for about 20% of the snaps - all out effort when you get a shot.

I want Von hitting about 65-70%,  Groot hitting 55-60%, AJ and Bash hitting 30% each with Bash getting some play inside.  That leaves about 15-20% with probably a few weeks as an inactive as needed for a vet DE that should not make much.

If Hughes wants more - I look to guys like Ingram, Houston, JPP and other vets looking for a guy chasing a ring that can give us games if needed, but will settle for limited snaps to help the youngsters grow.

That is my opinion on it and I would love for that vet to be Jerry, but I am not wedded to that idea.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.