DT DaQuan Jones to Buffalo, $3.58M cap this year

BillsMafi$

4 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

what the hell. I saw on twitter that our IDL was set with Settle & Jones & i was like OMG WE GOT CHANDLER JONES LETS GO!!!!

and i come here and see its some guy from Carolina named DaQuan

yep

GO BILLS!

If the Bills signed Chandler Jones and played him at DT........................that would be bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

anyone have some good insights on him?

Here's this from PFF: https://titansized.com/2019/11/24/titans-underrated-player-pff/

One of the biggest reasons Jones has succeeded more this season than in years past is because he’s been lining up at nose tackle more often. He’s clearly at his best when he’s in the middle of the Titans’ defensive line, and Treash even goes as far as to call him “one of the best in the business” in that area.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I feel like it will have to be, considering our cap space

Yeah, he got 1 year 4M last year.  Thinking in 1 year 2M would be decent value to join a contender….but I’m sure it’s more

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, he got 1 year 4M last year.  Thinking in 1 year 2M would be decent value to join a contender….but I’m sure it’s more

*Might* have wanted to play closer to home..........as I noted in the Chandler Jones thread they are both from Binghamton..........Daquon played at Johnson City and Arthur, Chandler(and UFC Jon) played at Union-Endicott all about the same time range.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Might not be exciting, but I for one love going OG, DT, DT. 

Build up front!

Edit: and cap it off with Chandler Jones 🤞 

Poyer and Hyde didn’t seem exciting at the time to most. I love this kind of signing more than a Clowney deal. 

I agree, build the lines, make everyone else better. 

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Poyer and Hyde didn’t seem exciting at the time to most. I love this kind of signing more than a Clowney deal. 

I agree, build the lines, make everyone else better. 

A lot of us were excited about Hyde. Poyer, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If it wasn't clear before, it is now:

Beane's top priority this offseason was to fortify the trenches and get better up the middle. Only day one of tampering period and the Bills have already upgraded at guard, re-signed Morse, tenderedBates, and signed two quality defensive tackles.

It may be "old school" and make some roll their eyes, but the Bills are making every effort to be much better at running and stopping the run in 2022.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Beane's top priority this offseason was to fortify the trenches and get better up the middle. Only day one of tampering period and the Bills have already upgraded at guard, re-signed Morse and Bates, and signed two quality defensive tackles.

It may be "old school" and make some roll their eyes, but the Bills are making every effort to be much better at running and stopping the run in 2022.

Wait, where did they re-sign Bates?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, where did they re-sign Bates?

I'm sorry, you're correct. The indication on Twitter is that they are using the low tender, with right of first refusal, on Bates. They have not re-signed him, though. Sloppy word choice on my part.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Why?.... Just why....

Settle from WFT was good.....

Why? FFS move on

Settle and Jones play different positions in this defense.

You also NEED a four man defensive tackle rotation, so this was a need.

3T: Oliver, Settle
1T: Star, Jones

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Beane's top priority this offseason was to fortify the trenches and get better up the middle. Only day one of tampering period and the Bills have already upgraded at guard, re-signed Morse, tenderedBates, and signed two quality defensive tackles.

It's the right approach

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think this effectively takes DT off the table as a round one or round two draft option.

I know, I know: "Beane will take BPA regardless!". Yeah, yeah, yeah...

They have their four-man defensive tackle rotation, and a guy they like a lot in Eli Ankou on the practice squad, to boot.

A mid round guy? Sure, maybe. Early pick? Ain't happenin', in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Settle and Jones play different positions in this defense.

You also NEED a four man defensive tackle rotation, so this was a need.

3T: Oliver, Settle
1T: Star, Jones

Settle is more of a 1T from what I’ve read. 

• Agree 1

Here's a PFF take on him in 2019 while still with Titans.

https://www.pff.com/news/underrated-players-on-every-nfl-team

TENNESSEE TITANS: DI DAQUAN JONES

In his sixth season as a Tennessee Titan, interior defensive lineman DaQuan Jones is having a career year and currently ranks 10th in PFF grade at 84.1. Jones is a true nose tackle, and the data shows he’s one of the best in the business. When lined up at nose tackle, Jones is fourth in PFF grade and has produced 12 run stops (tied for the most at that position).

And another from last year in Carolina

https://catcrave.com/2021/11/18/daquan-jones-overlooked-spark-carolina-panthers/

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.