Bills sign DT Tim Settle, formally of Washington Commanders.

MAJBobby

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This is a sneaky good signing.  Many people have commented that Settle is a really DT that just didn’t get the snaps with Washington.  I think he’s going to step into a pretty big role in Buffalo - I think he’s starting 1TDT…I don’t see Phillips coming back

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This is a sneaky good signing.  Many people have commented that Settle is a really DT that just didn’t get the snaps with Washington.  I think he’s going to step into a pretty big role in Buffalo - I think he’s starting 1TDT…I don’t see Phillips coming back

what's sneaky about it?

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-commanders-2022-free-agency-preview-tim-settle-will-have-options-nfl-free-agent/

The above link states that in 2020, despite only playing 33% of the defensive snaps on the season, Settle had five sacks and ten pressures.

Sounds to me like he just needs some opportunity, which he should get in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Process said:

Never heard of him. Does he actually fill the need at DT or is he just a backup depth guy?

I do like that we are adding to the lines in FA. Use our early draft picks on the big money positions (WR, CB).

He's an underrated guy. I didn't think we had a chance as his age. I also saw him as a backup to Oliver but he should replace Phillips but as a better pass rusher.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-commanders-2022-free-agency-preview-tim-settle-will-have-options-nfl-free-agent/

The above link states that in 2020, despite only playing 33% of the defensive snaps on the season, Settle had five sacks and ten pressures.

Sounds to me like he just needs some opportunity, which he should get in Buffalo

then he drops to 20% of the snaps in 2021?  Is that not a red flag? 

Probably an upgrade over Phillips who really only played a few good games in Buffalo.  

Agree with others, this may mean no DT in the early rounds of the draft opening up a chance to grab a WR, edge, OT, or maybe another TE

I'm reading through all the comments on Adam Schefter's Tweet announcing this signing, and it's a whole lot of WFT/Commanders fans saying how good he is, how they wanted him back, how Buffalo got a real gem.

Usually, when a free agent leaves a team to sign elsewhere, fans of his former team defensively say that he's overrated, overpriced, they aren't sorry to see him go, whatever.

Not the case here. Every WFT/Commanders fan that responds in the comment -- every single one -- has nothing but good things to say about Tim Settle.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Probably an upgrade over Phillips who really only played a few good games in Buffalo.  

Agree with others, this may mean no DT in the early rounds of the draft opening up a chance to grab a WR, edge, OT, or maybe another TE

Ionnadis was back in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

When they have 2 First round picks on the DT spot. Nope not at all. Not like Washington has been good at evaluating talent over the years. 

Red flag? Not to me. He only played that many snaps in 2020 because of injury to Matt Ionaidis. The WFT D-line is STACKED. Chase Young, DaRon Payne, Matt Ionaidis, Montez Sweat. Whole lotta talent in front of Settle, and not every team rotates their d-line as heavily as McDermott does.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It’s not a red flag because you don’t know the whole story.  Ioannadis was injured week 3 in 2020 and missed the rest of the season…..back in 2021…..hence the drop in snaps.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Cue all the folks who just found out this guy existed to start gushing about his potential.

Cue the guy who just found out this guy existed to start complaining like the whiny little B word he is…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Red flag? Not to me. He only played that many snaps in 2020 because of injury to Matt Ionaidis. The WFT D-line is STACKED. Chase Young, DaRon Payne, Matt Ionaidis, Montez Sweat. Whole lotta talent in front of Settle, and not every team rotates their d-line as heavily as McDermott does.

And Jonathan Allen as well. They really are one of the best in the NFL. Reminds me of the drought years with the Bills, how we wasted a number of REALLY good defensive units. 

• Like (+1) 1

From Settle's draft profile on NFL.com. I italicized the strengths that I like or that I feel make him a great fit in Buffalo.

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

Draft Projection

Round 2-3

NFL Comparison:

Vince Wilfork

Overview

Settle has rare gifts for a big man with good mass, play strength, quickness, and agility. His substantial jump in production in 2017 was due to weight loss and additional conditioning that allowed him to play more snaps and play faster. He's a disruptive, versatile defensive lineman who offers enough pass rush potential to warrant reps on passing downs. Settle is a natural 4-3 fit but can play in a 3-4 as well. He has the potential to become a very good starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling if he controls his weight and maintains his conditioning.

Strengths

Accepted his coaches challenge to lose weight and improve conditioning and has done just that

Thick and broad across lower body

Rare agility for a man his size

Plays with infectious energy

Built low to the ground

Blasts out of his stance to capture the neutral zone

Able to play under and through the edge of blockers

Can be destructive along the interior when he has his wind

Power in upper body for quick punch and shed at point of attack

Good pursuit motor around the field

Locates ball early in the snap and plays off blocks to make tackles

Pad level is good

Has ability to penetrate and two-gap

Arm over can get early wins

Legitimate pocket pusher who can force quarterback to throw from unbalanced platform

Weaknesses

Wears bad weight around his midsection

Maintaining weight loss and conditioning could be a concern when he has to become a self-motivator on next level

Playing style is frenetic and leads to balance issues

Over-extends and finds himself on the ground too often

Played in just 23 college games

Can be inconsistent with hand usage

Will need additional technique work to better take on double teams

Moved by down blocks when he doesn't stay square

Sources Tell Us

"I need to watch him more but Bud (Foster) moved him around and I saw a guy who can play both nose spots, 3 (technique), 4i, and maybe 5. Reminds me of when (Dontari) Poe came out. He ain't Poe, but he can play all over the line like Poe could." -- AFC defensive line coach

--------------------------

And here's Joe Marino's pre-draft scouting report on Settle:

FN19mk2WYAYUyxj?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

He had 5 sacks while playing only 33% of the teams snaps in 2020 when injuries ahead of him got him more snaps.

I like this signing from what I am reading.  Was not that familiar with his NFL resume but remember liking him coming out, just didn’t follow how he did or where he went.  

But I like what I’m reading about his time in Washington.

• Like (+1) 4

51 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

WFT buddy of mine who knows football said he was log jammed behind Allen and Payne but there was little to no drop off when he was in. Just needs more snaps.

Agree if you want more snaps Bills DL is the place 😬

• Haha (+1) 2

Fired up about Settle.  We may have fixed our run D and we can maximize Oliver, maybe Edmunds.  Not sure how to put the link in, but you can copy and paste this in the address bar:

Washington Football Team have to ReSign Tim Settle 😳🔥 | He’s A Dog - YouTube

I wanted Travis Jones in the 2nd, but I don't think we need him know.

• Like (+1) 3

Beane: not being splashy, but picking up the high value scraps. Just as many of us predicted.

7 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Fired up about Settle.  We may have fixed our run D and we can maximize Oliver, maybe Edmunds.  Not sure how to put the link in, but you can copy and paste this in the address bar:

Washington Football Team have to ReSign Tim Settle 😳🔥 | He’s A Dog - YouTube

I wanted Travis Jones in the 2nd, but I don't think we need him know.

fixed it for you

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

It's very likely that people here value Harry wayyy more than the Bills do. 

At the end of the day, he's had a handful of decent games in 4 years. 

Great dude though.

Wreck a knee and that costs you one season, and part of another to get whole physically and mentally. I hope he puts it together and surges forward this year. A lot to play out between now and week one. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

When the legal tampering period opens Monday, Settle will have the ability to find a new team. When free agency opens later in the week, expect Settle to land a two-year deal with an opposing team.

Mostly right.  Would not call Bills opposing team but another team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.