Bills interviewing Raiders WR coach Edgar Bennett for OC

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Lots of over reaction to these interviews. I remember when we hired daboll and people thought it was a bad hireĀ 

Despite leading one of the top offenses in the league (after decades of misery) some people still think that was a bad hire and were happy to see him go. It makes no sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

It could equally tell us that Dorsey agreed to stay, but since we HAVE to interview at least 1 minority candidate before making a hire we are doing some guys some favors, and expanding our network, and looking for replacements for some position coaches.

Or.... now hear me out.....

Ā 

I got nothing.Ā Ā šŸ¤£

• Haha (+1) 2

During his tenure as the offensive coordinator, Bennett helped orchestrate an offense that finished with 96 touchdown passes since 2015, the most in the NFC and second most in the NFL during that time frame despite missing All-Pro quarterback Aaron Rodgers for nine games in 2017 due to injury. As a former running back, Bennett was able to guide his running back corps to an average of 4.41 yards per carry in the same time frame, a mark that ranked sixth in the NFL. Additionally, Bennett led an offense that ranked eighth since 2015 with a 58.8 percent conversion rate in the red zone, including a third-place finish in 2017 with a success rate of 61.9 percent.

In 2017, Bennett's offense ranked fifth in the NFL in yards per rush (4.47 avg.), despite having to shuffle the backfield due to numerous injuries, including starting RB Ty Montgomery who missed eight games. The offense also tied for sixth in the NFC with 25 touchdown passes on the season.

Guided by Bennett, Rodgers put together one of the most prolific passing seasons in club history in 2016, tossing for 4,428 yards, completing over 400 passes for a completion percentage of 65.7, while adding an NFL-high 40 touchdowns through the air to just seven interceptions. In wake of Rodgers' success under Bennett's tutelage, Nelson and WR Davante Adams combined for a league-best 26 touchdown receptions. Nelson led the league with 14 scores of his own, adding 1,257 yards receiving and 97 receptions, the fifth most in the Packers history, en route to earning the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year Award. Additionally, the offense as a whole averaged 27.0 points per game, the fourth-best mark in the league.

At the helm of the offense for the first time in 2015, Bennett emphasized ball security, as the team's 17 turnovers were the fifth fewest in club history and also ranked fourth fewest in the NFL that year. Bennett's primary focus was most apparent with Rodgers, as he posted the third-best pass interception percentage (1.4) in the NFL, throwing just seven interceptions on 572 attempts. Bennett oversaw an offense that saw its quarterback post over 30 touchdown passes (31) for the fifth time in career. Green Bay also rostered four wide receivers that notched at least 50 receptions in the same season, just the third time (1983 and 2002) the feat has been accomplished since 1940. The offense's incredibly efficient play helped guide the club to a franchise record seventh consecutive playoff berth (2009-15).

Ā 

https://www.raiders.com/team/coaches-roster/edgar-bennett

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

Sorry but we can't afford to screw around with Allen in his prime.Ā  We already wasted this year with stupidity.Ā Ā 

Theyā€™re not screwing around. Just doing what they have to do. I believe the best move would be to hire Ken Dorsey as OC. There are many reasons, but his rapport with Josh and staying with the E-P offense are key imo. Donā€™t want any steps back offensively when they are an offensive teamĀ 

49 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Lots of over reaction to these interviews. I remember when we hired daboll and people thought it was a bad hireĀ 

Yep. Thereā€™s plenty of fans on this board who are happy to see him go after running a top offense for the last 2 seasons. Doesnā€™t make sense.Ā 

This Board on these coaches reads like the 2018 Josh Allen threadĀ  during the draft.Ā  Thank God the front office did not listen then.

Ā 

I mean no one here has any idea about these guys personalities, back stories, coaching philosophies, ability to adapt to the talent at hand or much of anything else except I heard of him, or the team he coached for was no good so it must be his fault.Ā  I trust the front office has a much better idea of who will fit and who will not than anyone here.Ā  And they have already said Josh will have input.Ā  Trust the process.Ā 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

We are so freaking screwed!

Ā 

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

Ā 

Former player - played for Packers and Bears

RB coach, then WR coach, then OC for Green Bay for 2 years (2015-2017)

Pack offense was 15th, then 4th, then 21st in that time stretch, but that may have more to do with McCarthy than with Bennett

Was fired along with McCarthy and hired to coach WR in Las Vegas

Ā 

Bottom line, he has "Offensive Coordinator" on his resume working with a star QB, but it's unclear how much play-calling experience he actually has; from what I can deduce, he was more like the Curtis Modkins type.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Hah now you can't tell who the Rooney rule candidate was.

Ā 

New rules require two so....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Those who thought the Bills would just hand the job to Dorsey without interviewing candidates were fooling themselves.

Ā 

That said, IĀ reallyĀ hope they don't bring in a short passing game WCO guy.Ā  Totally the wrong thing for Allen.

Ā 

Depends on how good of a play caller they are. Andy Reid is a West Coast guy but obviously he's adapted his offense around Mahomes. Maybe this guy can take our offense and mix in some WC stuff that could give of us some new wrinkles we didn't have before.

Ā 

Ā 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

Pep Hamilton will be Jim Harbaugh's OC wherever he lands.

Not so sure about that.Ā  Pep was with Jim at Michigan and they parted ways and it wasn't because of overwhelming success.Ā  They did have previous success together at Stanford.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Spent 3 years as OC in Green Bay. Under Mike McCarthy. Thought they did a solid job in Vegas this year with a serious lack of talent on the WR room.Ā 

Ā 

What about Zay Jones?

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ā 

McCarthy was fired.Ā  New coach typically means new assistants.

He was fired by McCarthy as a scapegoat along with Van Pelt and Dom Capers. He wasnā€™t bad, but itā€™s really difficult to figure out how much blame Bennett deserved. The guy was beloved by his players though, so that says something.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d feel about Bennett as an OC as McCarthy did most of the playcalling during his OC tenure, but if theyā€™re bringing him in as an experienced assistant Iā€™m all for it. We have no clue who Daboll may take with him to NYG. Bennett is possibly the best available WR coach available and his track record there speaks for itself; Nelson, Cobb, James Jones, Davante Adams, etc. Heā€™s also a Holmgren/Reid guy who probably speaks McDā€™s language.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Ā 

Given the current tenor of this board, my guess is no matter what Beane and McDermott end up doing at OC, it will be a firing offense...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d feel about Bennett as an OC as McCarthy did most of the playcalling during his OC tenure, but if theyā€™re bringing him in as an experienced assistant Iā€™m all for it. We have no clue who Daboll may take with him to NYG

Ā 

I could be wrong, but I think the teams can no longer block a promotion to coordinator with another team.

Any other assistant, it can be "you're under contract, Sorry"

Ā 

That's not to say that the Bills wouldn't release someone for a move they perceive as a development opportunity, but my point is it's not like Daboll gets to sit there looking at the Bills assistant coaches like a Chinese menu he can select from for any position.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Palmer has the gig he wants

Ā 

This.Ā  Quit pining for Palmer, folks - the man wants to live in a beach house in S. Cali and give Zoom interviews, not work hectic 100-112 hr weeks in less salubrius settings for 5 or (hopefully) 6 months a year with intense scrutiny and accountability every week

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.