Ken Dorsey - would he choose OC here or leave to be Daboll's OC?

Heavy Kevi

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting!  So they HAVE to interview outside the building for coordinators now too!

Doesn't that cast some shade on the tweet that made it look as though the Giants offered Dorsey the job and it was all done but the i dotting and t crossing?

They may have already fulfilled the rule with all their interviews but not sure 

If getting a head coaching gig is in Dorsey’s mind it’s a really tough call.  Stick here and anything below what Daboll accomplished is a failure.  However, you have the QB.

Follow Daboll and you can vastly improve that offense as they have some good pieces in place.  However, qb is uncertain and you may just be looked at as a product of Daboll.  Good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Best Williams Available said:

If Dorsey’s the guy to elevate Jones, says Daboll, maybe Brian knows that he himself got too much credit for Josh? Makes me think Daboll didn’t actually develop him at all and it was all Dorsey. He knows this and for him to succeed at HC he needs Dors to get the most out of Jones. 

reading a whole lot into a random tweet, sir

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

reading a whole lot into a random tweet, sir

Yeah OC's who get HC jobs often just like to hire guys who will run their offense like they want.

Not sure about Daboll's contacts but since it had been a good while since Daboll had been an NFL OC prior to getting the Bills job.........Dorsey might be the only guy who he feels comfortable handing the keys to right now.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah OC's who get HC jobs often just like to hire guys who will run their offense like they want.

Not sure about Daboll's contacts but since it had been a good while since Daboll had been an NFL OC prior to getting the Bills job.........Dorsey might be the only guy who he feels comfortable handing the keys to right now.

it could be a good safety net for both parties. Daboll could sometimes take his eyes off the offense to build the full program and Dorsey would have a mentor to guide him through the learning curve of managing the whole unit (both players and position coaches, and quality control guys) plus play calling potentially etc… 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So this is actually interesting.  The other 3 interviews reported here are all of DC's. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-head-coach-and-gm-interview-tracker-giants-hire-former-bills-oc-brian-daboll/

It may be incomplete though, as Flores is not listed.  And as Sal points out:

Personally, if I were being interviewed for an OC or DC position before the head coach was hired, I would have one thing to say:

image.thumb.png.bf436fd00b0ab321bdfb320574b6011c.png

Because as already noted, each coach has his staff (or several alternatives for his staff) lined up

So whether or not it's a legit interview for which you're gonna be seriously considered, depends entirely upon who gets the HC gig

17 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I don't know if it actually means anything, but.

https://bufbills.com/player-bios/rob_boras.pdf

IkpNrcn.png

Oh God No FML shoot me now No No No NO!

FML FML FLM FML 🤢🤢🤮

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Jason Garret, was one of the best offensive minds in football at the time and he could not win with Daniel Jones,  Don't forget Dabol you don't have Josh saving your ass when you did not want to run the ball.

Just to be factual, Jason Garrett bought the entire Giants operation down with his prehistoric offense.  We've seen teams overcome a bad Oline like the Giants have but we've never seen a team overcome a bad oline and a scheme that wasn't NFL ready.  John Mara hired JG, not Judge. Judge wanted him gone, a lot of Giants fans feel like Garrett's offense is the Real reason behind Jones, Barkley, Golladays play and is the indirect reason Gettleman and Judge got fired.  This is why there's still belief around the league and in the building [Schoen, Daboll, Mara, Judge before he left] that Jones can be legit.  I stopped in to see what you guys had to say about Dorsey and I had to reply to this comment about the offensive mind of Jason Garrett.  This is why a lot of Giants fans like myself think the most important hire for us is the OC lol.  BTW McDermott blew that game with that brain dead decision to kick the ball in the endzone!  Robbed you guys of a SB victory I think.  Whoever won that game was gonna win the SB in my opinion.  

On 1/26/2022 at 4:52 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

My gut says he’d rather stay with a quarterback who would make him look good (Allen), rather than a reclamation project in Jones or some rookie. Then again, he may be eager to make his own mark by developing a quarterback of his own. 

My gut is saying that he may want to go, I can't understand why the speculation about Dorsey going to the giants now would not be shot down if he was definitely next in line

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Does Rooney rule apply to coordinator jobs? If so would it apply to an internal promotion? Cant imagine a minority wanting to take that interview knowing they're just being used to check off a box

Not sure if this has been posted yet as I haven't read the whole thread, so please disregard if already posted or updated, but:

G.T Bobby Thompson
@BThomps81
·
2m
A hold-up in the Ken Dorsey and #Giants deal to become official is the Rooney Rule. The team is obligated to interview two minorities. The team does not want to wait long on this

But:

Edited by chongli

On 1/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Heavy Kevi said:

It's clear everyone expects Daboll to get a HC job this year, including Josh who's publicly stated he expects Daboll to go. It's also widely believed that Josh wants Dorsey as OC, and McD said Josh's input is important to him.

What do you think Dorsey would do given both options, to stay and OC a proven star on a SB caliber team in Josh/Bills, or does he take OC is NY (or wherever) with Daboll and potentially Trubisky?

Does he stay or does he go?

Not knowing anything about him personally or his motivations, if I had to guess, I’d think he’d stay put if offered the job.

If you a had a boss that ***** up and prevented you from achieving something in your career, you would be pissed too. 

Its just worrisome that Dorsey would rather take a job of a unknown rebuild, instead of taking a promotion where we was the last 4 years

Edited by uticaclub

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

If you a had a boss that ***** up and prevented you from achieving something in your career, you would be pissed too. 

Its just worrisome that Dorsey would rather take a job of a unknown rebuild, instead of taking a promotion where we was the last 4 years

I appreciate the logic used before with this - he’d feel more secure taking an OC role under an offensive minded HC who he’s worked successfully with for three (?) years over becoming an OC under a defensively minded HC without the same amount of support in place. He retains a support network and would be carrying less on his shoulders.

In a perfect world for him, McD would probably step aside (not say Dorsey has anything against McD), Daboll takes the HC role and Dorsey is promoted to OC here but that was never going to happen.

• Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They are saying he's as good as gone.

And that’s fine, like I said I don’t know his priorities, none of us do, which is why this is a pretty dumb thread. If it were me, I’d want to continue to work with Allen. But if he wants to continue to work with Daboll, or if U of Miami is offering an excellent deal, I can’t blame him.

If Dorsey does move on, I wonder (worry a bit) how that affects Josh Allen?

Exhibit A: I am reminded of the quick downward spiral of the Texans when they did not hire the guy Watson wanted. I realize there were a bunch of other factor there, but my point is that you want the organization to do everything they can to keep your star player's emotional psyche in balance. Allen has alway talked about how Daboll was more than a Coach to him. It appears (from the outside) he has a similar relationship with Dorsey. I worry how it will affect him if both go.

Exhibit B: Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers is uber talented, but it appears (by the results) that his on-the-edge psyche, along with his abrasive personality, does not play well on his teammates over the course of a long season. It seems the Packer have done everyhting wrong in keep him happy and content, and the team has paid for it.

I think Allen is built on a much stronger platform than these two examples, but I do not want the Bills to test that either. I do hope McDermott and Beane are serious when they discussed that Josh would be involved in the process. He has to be fully on board with whatever they end up doing.

Edited by CSBill

14 minutes ago, CSBill said:

If Dorsey does move on, I wonder (worry a bit) how that affects Josh Allen?

Exhibit A: I am reminded of the quick downward spiral of the Texans when they did not hire the guy Watson wanted. I realize there were a bunch of other factor there, but my point is that you want the organization to do everything they can to keep your star player's emotional psyche in balance. Allen has alway talked about how Daboll was more than a Coach to him. It appears (from the outside) he has a similar relationship with Dorsey. I worry how it will affect him if both go.

Exhibit B: Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers is uber talented, but it appears (by the results) that his on-the-edge psyche, along with his abrasive personality, does not play well on his teammates over the course of a long season. It seems the Packer have done everyhting wrong in keep him happy and content, and the team has paid for it.

I think Allen is built on a much stronger platform than these two examples, but I do not want the Bills to test that either. I do hope McDermott and Beane are serious when they discussed that Josh would be involved in the process. He has to be fully on board with whatever they end up doing.

Allen has graduated from QB grad school, he's seen it all now. Honestly I think he needed this year with Daboll to master all coverages. He knows what defenses are trying to do.

That said, relationships matter. It's going to be interesting what happens. I'm not that worried about Allen but I can definitely see some scheme changes if Dorsey goes elsewhere. Allen isn't the only one that would be affected. 

• Agree 1

If Im Dorsey, I stay here.   Good luck to Daboll in the NFC East with Dallas, a Philly team with 3 first rounders and Rivera who gets a lot out of a team with garbage at QB.   Daniel Jones is not going to turn into a superstar.  The Giants cap situation is bad,  He becomes OC here, he's one more Sean miscue from being HC here with a real deal QB.

Well Dabol has taken the NY Giants job so we will find out very soon but i hope Dorcey stays here to keep the continuity and at the most the basic part of the scheme in place .

I'm not saying Josh couldn't learn a new scheme but i think he & the offense would be better off if they didn't have to completely start all over from the bottom & some of the tweaks that Dorcey could make may be just enough to put them over the hump ...

So Dorsey is looking for money and to be coddled by his previous OC?  Yeah, see ya. 

As I said, the Bills will be able to sign him as their assistant QB coach in 2 years when he fails to make anything out of Jones, whose problems are in his head, not his mechanics.

As for Boras (if he becomes OC), Daboll was a failure in 3 stops before going to a stacked Alabama team and then getting to work with Josh.  Sure it's uninspired but like with Daboll, I'll wait to see what he can do with Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Perhaps. But many reports suggest Dabboll wants to be a package with Dorsey. That’s strange since he’ll be the de facto OC as HC. Must be for QB dev reasons.

or has been noted, daboll will have to work with the defense, the front office, the travel/logistics team, the press, the analytics guys and so on and so forth and having a guy he knows and trusts to have 100% focus on something he will be judged heavily on is beneficial. 

daboll does not have a super deep pool of guys to pull from that I know of so Dorsey has some special value 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Perhaps. But many reports suggest Dabboll wants to be a package with Dorsey. That’s strange since he’ll be the de facto OC as HC. Must be for QB dev reasons.

Actually what would have been strange is if Daboll didn't want to take Dorsey with him.  I fully expected this but thought Dorsey would be smarter.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually what would have been strange is if Daboll didn't want to take Dorsey with him.  I fully expected this but thought Dorsey would be smarter.

I wonder if Dorsey hates living in Buffalo.  It might be that simple.  Because, football wise, his departure makes sense only if he thinks he can’t match what Daboll did and will be stained by a year over year drop in production.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.